What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduras sativa

goingrey

Well i lowered the lights and and i keep the temps pretty low, in the high 70's. I suppose i can repot the hondurans but there wont be any room left for the panamas. I really wanted to grow both
You can dig them out and bury them deeper in their current pots, or stick something in there they can lean on to support them, or well they are your plants sure you can kill them too. But they look perfectly healthy. They have just been reaching for the light, as seedlings often do. Seems crazy to kill them.

RobFromTX

You can dig them out and bury them deeper in their current pots, or stick something in there they can lean on to support them, or well they are your plants sure you can kill them too. But they look perfectly healthy. They have just been reaching for the light, as seedlings often do. Seems crazy to kill them.
Yeah you make a good point. Maybe the one gallon pots are just making them take longer to grow out. I just wanted to keep the stretch in check. You know they get. I'll give them another week and see how they look.

mr.pistil

Well thats it for me. Im trashing mine and starting over. Its been two weeks under lights and they are falling to the sides, stems are becoming wavy and shriveled and some havent even produced stems at all. It appeared to be just the panamas at first but now most are doing it. This is definitely a first for me. Im not sure what caused it, maybe they just dont like happy frog soil or they are from old stock(2020), but ive grown them before with success so it has to be something particular. Oh well. I have another pack in the seedvault and ill try again. This time ill put them directly in 3 gallons instead of attempting to veg them out in one gallons. I suspect they dont like that either
Rob, I see this from time to time - falling to the sides, stems are becoming wavy and shriveled. Sometimes mine get so top heavy they start falling over. what I've done is use a wooden skewer (sometimes two) to prop them up. Hasn't failed me yet.

RobFromTX

Rob, I see this from time to time - falling to the sides, stems are becoming wavy and shriveled. Sometimes mine get so top heavy they start falling over. what I've done is use a wooden skewer (sometimes two) to prop them up. Hasn't failed me yet.
I was looking for the problem and then i looked up my past orders from amazon and quickly realized i was using an MH bulb i purchased in 2019. Talk about outdated! Luckily i purchased a new one a few weeks back and screwed it in last night. I think that was the issue because they already seem to be perking up (y)

RobFromTX

Healthiest looking one so far. Im just giving them a bit of fish mix at this point

Attachments

• IMG_20230416_183526496_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230416_183526496_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

Keif Cake

Veteran
I purposesly started leaving a few inches room in half gallon or bigger containers i start seeds in just in case they decide to stretch a lot in the beginning, i can just add more into the pot they are currently in, plus if i need to, i can up pot in the same container by adding it to the bottom

OZZ_

Veteran
I wish i wasnt. Ive grown them before. Somethings definitely wrong

Rob… I’d bet money something is screwy with the happy frog. I’ve now switched to all coco but a year or two ago I had several bags of happy frog come and nothing would grow in it, even established plants. Quality has gone way downhill

Last edited:

RobFromTX

Rob… I’d bet money something is screwy with the happy frog. I’ve now switched to all coco but a year or two ago I had several bags of happy frog come and nothing would grow in it, even established plants. Quality has gone way downhill
Yeah i think ill go back to ocean forest after this grow. If only because its more aerated.

johnnylawrence

I just started some seeds I made in straight Happy Frog and they look good (the exact strain/cross is not important). I would suggest going with smaller containers to start seeds. These are roughly 32 oz cups. I think they need to go through a wet/dry cycle every few days or less, and that doesn't happen with larger containers, even 1 gallon.
004a.JPG

johnnylawrence

Yeah i think ill go back to ocean forest after this grow. If only because its more aerated.

That roots organic soil seems to have a pretty good following too
I think they say it's normal for Roots Organic to have bugs in it because it's organic. That sounded too weird for me. FFOF / Ocean Forest has had a lot of complaints. I finally gave up on it myself after a lot of wasted time and find Happy Frog to be much better.

RobFromTX

I think they say it's normal for Roots Organic to have bugs in it because it's organic. That sounded too weird for me. FFOF / Ocean Forest has had a lot of complaints. I finally gave up on it myself after a lot of wasted time and find Happy Frog to be much better.
Bugs! definitely all natural then. I go all organic with bio bizz so that might be up my alley after all

RobFromTX

I just started some seeds I made in straight Happy Frog and they look good (the exact strain/cross is not important). I would suggest going with smaller containers to start seeds. These are roughly 32 oz cups. I think they need to go through a wet/dry cycle every few days or less, and that doesn't happen with larger containers, even 1 gallon. View attachment 18832390
These look great btw.

OZZ_

Veteran

It is…. Until it isn’t. That’s my point. I used it religiously loved the stuff but every now and then you get a bag that’s just junk and nothing will grow, even amending heavily with worm castings and trying to fix it nothing would …. Had to compost it or use it as worm bedding.

The “every now and then” frequency of this occurring started happening more and more frequently and honestly it’s not just happy frog it was other soils too. I switched to coco and definitely there’s a learning curve and I’m still tweaking things with the satties… but I couldnt be happier. That’s the reason I got sick of the Russian roulette soil game but obviously different strokes for different folks and all that.

I was just mentioning it because @RobFromTX anytime I had issues with the plants and there was no explanation it was always the soil being whacked. I’d take it outside and throw a chili pepper plant in it and if those things wouldn’t grow in it either I knew the soil was just jacked from the start. Lime and ph manipulations would kind of sort of help t most the time I had to compost it. Put those same plants into a different soil …. Even a different bag of happy frog and they would take right off. I got sick of the inconsistency

Last edited:

BuckeyeGreen

You can pickup Ace Seeds from several dealers in the states. I bought several packs from North Atlantic Seed Co. Here are some other dealers:

Big fan of Mandala Seeds. I know they take time off but knowing that I order before they shut down for the season. Great people and they are a pleasure.

I’ve been starting seeds in 4 inch pots for years using Pro Mix. I moisten the soil, put in the seed, cover the top of the pot with plastic wrap and put them on a heat mat. I watch them closely and as soon as I see them pop through the soil I take off the plastic, take them off the heat mat and put them a couple of inches under led shop lights. I feed lightly and as soon as I see roots at the bottom of the 4 inch pot, I up pot to #1 pots. Veg. for a couple of weeks in that pot and then into the final pot. I have a very high success rate doing it this way. Actually learned this method from Mandala. I don’t think they use the plastic but I found it helped.

RobFromTX

You can pickup Ace Seeds from several dealers in the states. I bought several packs from North Atlantic Seed Co. Here are some other dealers:

Big fan of Mandala Seeds. I know they take time off but knowing that I order before they shut down for the season. Great people and they are a pleasure.

I’ve been starting seeds in 4 inch pots for years using Pro Mix. I moisten the soil, put in the seed, cover the top of the pot with plastic wrap and put them on a heat mat. I watch them closely and as soon as I see them pop through the soil I take off the plastic, take them off the heat mat and put them a couple of inches under led shop lights. I feed lightly and as soon as I see roots at the bottom of the 4 inch pot, I up pot to #1 pots. Veg. for a couple of weeks in that pot and then into the final pot. I have a very high success rate doing it this way. Actually learned this method from Mandala. I don’t think they use the plastic but I found it helped.
Yeah mandala also has very kind customer service. I guess when you're a breeder AND you run a seed shop it calls for a break