What's new

Haskel pneumatic refrigerant pumps

Holy balls, that's spendy. I'm thinking I need to stick to an Appion or a tr-21. How does the Appion compare to the tr-21 and mt69 for recovery rates? I'll only use this a couple times a year

Can a mt69 be added inline with a Appion? I would think that would help speed up the process of recovery. Thanks gw

snake11

Holy balls, that's spendy. I'm thinking I need to stick to an Appion or a tr-21. How does the Appion compare to the tr-21 and mt69 for recovery rates? I'll only use this a couple times a year

Can a mt69 be added inline with a Appion? I would think that would help speed up the process of recovery. Thanks gw

Check out the thread on the ic69. Much better then the mt69.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The TR-21 with a heat exchanger is faster. I would suggest you make your own IC69 using a stainless jockey box coil.

http://www.amazon.com/HomeBrewStuff-Stainless-Steel-Tubing-Coil/dp/B00420V094

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What type of connectors would you use to attach the tubing to 3/8 or 1/2 fittings?:tiphat:

I use compression fittings X NPT and welded couplings through the heat exchanger walls!

Attachments

• CACA 005.jpg
    CACA 005.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Extremely surprised that you are still recommending the tr-21 when there is a SPARKPROOF trs-21 model available.

The regular tr-21 is responsible for the only known closed loop explosion/fire and has no place in r290/r600 recovery

Not as surprising if you consider I was talking generically, and grow more simple minded by the day, but good point!

By all means do get the CPS sparkproof TRS-21 version, that they specifically designed for our purpose.

On the subject of explosions and fires. Was there an explosion, a fire, or both? Details?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out the thread here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=298473

We link to parts and discuss pros and cons of valve size.

Right now I am testing between 3/8 and 1/2" ball valves on the 1/2" tube 50'. The choke point to 1/4" flare is the slow down...

:joint:

Gases flow most efficiently, if the stream velocity stays at a relatively constant speed, without speeding up and slowing down at restrictions. Better to have only one at the 1/4" flare at the pump.

Not as surprising if you consider I was talking generically, and grow more simple minded by the day, but good point!

By all means do get the CPS sparkproof TRS-21 version, that they specifically designed for our purpose.

On the subject of explosions and fires. Was there an explosion, a fire, or both? Details?

From what i have heard third party, the fire incident was started by a regular tr-21. the details that stuck out were a completely torched carport, and the technician unhooking the tank and throwing it far away and then watching the extractor go off like a giant bunson burner. NOBODY WAS HURT LUCKILY

the only reason i say it so seriously is that many people take your word as gospel, so the slightest bit of details could send someone down the wrong path.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Those run so hot, my guess is the extractor was running high ratio propane or pure propane, which ime runs way hotter than Ntane on the recovery side.
By no means am I saying it's acceptable!!!! Just sayin ;)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what i have heard third party, the fire incident was started by a regular tr-21. the details that stuck out were a completely torched carport, and the technician unhooking the tank and throwing it far away and then watching the extractor go off like a giant bunson burner. NOBODY WAS HURT LUCKILY

the only reason i say it so seriously is that many people take your word as gospel, so the slightest bit of details could send someone down the wrong path.

Sounds like an exciting fire! Did they say how the TR-21 started the fire?

Did it actually explode or did a leak ignite and turn it into a Bunsen burner at that point as well?

Sort of highlights that things can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, so extraction needs to be done somewhere that by design, or nature, tolerates things going to hell in a hand basket.

As far as the correction, it was a valid point. I answered the direct question whether I would pick an Appion or a Tr-21, without consideration that not everyone is up to date on what is happening with the TR-21 design, or the differences between a TR-21, TRA-21, or TR-21A.

That also brings up another point to ponder, and that is why the guru's word is never accepted as gospel in his own household or village.

It is not until several generations have died off following their death, that their word becomes "gospel."

Besides being sometimes misguided and moments of insanity, to my discredit, I don't always think of all the ramifications of what I say, so it is always good to have my faux pas highlighted by someone paying attention and asking for clarification.

PS: This is Haskel pump thread, so except for related issues like how a fire getting started, we should move our TR-21 performance discussions to the CPS TR-21 and TRA-21 thread. I will bump it for that purpose.

Permacultuure

Veteran
Okay GW, getting back on track, I did a CAD design of the haskel mod to switch between single and two stage, designs below

:laughing:
So I'm hoping you understand the dark thick lines are valves, the dotted line meaning that portion of the loop is closed.

Keep in mind this is after I've alread spun the head around. For single stage operation.

Dave, Dave you there? Any thoughts before I go piss off my local jic fittings and hose guys and plumb this up?

Thank you in advance!

Permacultuure

Veteran

Hope fully this is a bit more clear.

The two vertical valves would be connected by stainless ptfe 1/2 hose.

When the vertical valves are closed the pump would operate in single stage mode.

Close the vertical valves, open the horizontal valves and the pump would then be operating in the two stage mode.

Dave would something like liqui-vac high vacuum sealant work for the threads into the pump? Or any other recommendations?

Dave at Haskel

Okay GW, getting back on track, I did a CAD design of the haskel mod to switch between single and two stage, designs below
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=55897&pictureid=1389215&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

:laughing:
So I'm hoping you understand the dark thick lines are valves, the dotted line meaning that portion of the loop is closed.

Keep in mind this is after I've alread spun the head around. For single stage operation.

Dave, Dave you there? Any thoughts before I go piss off my local jic fittings and hose guys and plumb this up?

Thank you in advance!

It looks like it should be fine. There is one thing that is important that isn't specifically shown there and that is that the second stage needs to be the one closest to the distance piece.

Dave

Dave at Haskel

I don't quite understand, distance piece. Which ever aspect is farthest, whether it is it the tank or the machine?

What I mean is that there are two pump sections on the pump, when operating in a two-stage mode, the section furthest from the air drive needs to be the first stage and the the pump section closest to the air drive will be the second stage.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

Latest posts

Latest posts