What's new

Haskel pneumatic refrigerant pumps

gholladay

^^^ Great looking mod Perma! So if I understand Dave correctly, he's saying you need to swap the valve locations around so that when it's in two stage pumping the gas is entering the upper port and exiting the lower port?

Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Dave at Haskel

^^^ Great looking mod Perma! So if I understand Dave correctly, he's saying you need to swap the valve locations around so that when it's in two stage pumping the gas is entering the upper port and exiting the lower port?

Like this?

It's not specified on the drawing which inlet is closest to the air drive. So what I'm saying is that you need to feed into the section furthest from the air drive first and then into the one closer to the air drive.

The reason for this is that there is actually a little less volume in the section closest to the air drive and in a two-stage booster, you need to have less volume in the second stage. If both stages are the same volume, you wouldn't get any boost in the second stage.

Dave

Permacultuure

Veteran
Okay so Dave, I'm a little confused now. I took the piston head, spun it around 180 degrees, as instructed. Now I'm simply setting it up so I can valve off and crest the u that was already in place for two stage mode.

If you look at the pictures the vertical valves will will connect, and when open they will be in two stage.

Closing the vertical valves and opening the horizontal valves would then let the pump operate in single stage.

You can see where my valve placement, manifold and piston head would be in the photos.....do I have it bass ackwards?

gholladay

It's not specified on the drawing which inlet is closest to the air drive. So what I'm saying is that you need to feed into the section furthest from the air drive first and then into the one closer to the air drive.

The reason for this is that there is actually a little less volume in the section closest to the air drive and in a two-stage booster, you need to have less volume in the second stage. If both stages are the same volume, you wouldn't get any boost in the second stage.

Dave
Dave for my drawing, I was using Perma's picture as the reference, so it is oriented the same way, with the air drive at the top.

GH

gholladay

Ok I went and reviewed the Haskel PDF and realized i needed to go back to the drawing board. I think this configuration would work and use one less valve than Perma's design.

Is this on the right track Dave?

Attachments

• IMG_5734.jpg
    IMG_5734.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20

Dave at Haskel

Ok I went and reviewed the Haskel PDF and realized i needed to go back to the drawing board. I think this configuration would work and use one less valve than Perma's design.

Is this on the right track Dave?

Your approach looks like it should work fine, however you will not to change three valves to go from one mode to the other. If you do it the way below, you only need one ball valve and a couple of check valves. I was thinking I put this up here before, but maybe I didn't. I hope you can see it (or at least the link)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=58338&pictureid=1391459

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave

gholladay

Your approach looks like it should work fine, however you will not to change three valves to go from one mode to the other. If you do it the way below, you only need one ball valve and a couple of check valves. I was thinking I put this up here before, but maybe I didn't. I hope you can see it (or at least the link)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58338&pictureid=1391459&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=58338&pictureid=1391459

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave
Thanks Dave!! Very helpful.

GH

Permacultuure

Veteran
Well, without having check valves ect I went with the basic setup.

Dave I relocated the second stage valve, I believe this is setup correctly but would love your confirmation. Yeah it's not the easiest method but it should operate both single and two stage, right?

Single stage

Two stage

Dave at Haskel

Dave I relocated the second stage valve, I believe this is setup correctly but would love your confirmation. Yeah it's not the easiest method but it should operate both single and two stage, right?

It's hard to tell just from the photos, it could be right. Does it work?

Dave

Permacultuure

Veteran
The head has been spun around to operate in single stage mode, the two open ends where where the u was when it was two stage. Head spun around then valves put on, maybe that can make the pictures a bit more descriptive.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's hard to tell just from the photos, it could be right. Does it work?

Dave

Dave, can your engineering group recommend a check valve part number that has a low cracking pressure and high CV for this application?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Single stage

View Image

Two stage

View Image

If you spun the head, it ostensibly should work.

The good thing about a pneumatic intensifier, even it you are bass ackwards, or fumble switching that many valves, it won't instantly trash the pump.

Last edited:

Permacultuure

Veteran
That's good to hear, I felt bass ackwards thru this whole plumbing. Was like a plumbing tongue twister at times, yet now it seems so simple. I know of one attempt and failure with the valve setup opposite........ I'll report back next week.

Thanks GW and Dave