What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

melinda

I have an old GROWTRON does anyone remember them?
When moving house two panels got broken and I replaced them with a type of particleboard.
After reading this thread I am going to change it .
Don't want to poison myself...

had my bubblegum mom in a drizo tent for 2 days and now it is showing signs of offgassing....so i took the tent down and back into the closet it goes...how can you treat the leaves so they wont all die, over 50% of them have brown spotting on them...any hope?

K

Kindman69

had my bubblegum mom in a drizo tent for 2 days and now it is showing signs of offgassing....so i took the tent down and back into the closet it goes...how can you treat the leaves so they wont all die, over 50% of them have brown spotting on them...any hope?

Mine never fully recovered, not even the clones I took lived up to potential. With mine they kind a stayed midget :(
Give it a shoot, let us know how it goes.

Kindman

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
watch out for budboxes as well. some are good, some are not, not worth the risk. go homebox or growlab. peace smoke

You couldn't be more wrong. HH's were never made from PVC and it's been told over and over and over. Secondly, it is the plasticisers from the plastics, not the plastics which outgas. PE and PU don't outgas. Certain plasticisers from any type of plastic will outgas. Only a few plastisicers will hurt plants at miniscule levels.

Homebox quietly changed mfrs a few years ago. I still own a homebox from Europe from 2004. It is very soft plastic just like the others were. Now homebox is a brittle PE. Before homebox changed its plastic there were problems in Spain around 04-05. I am writing to a Spanish wholesaler for his story on this as he swears he had trouble with his hombox sales.

Most importantly, homebox's test is complete crap. Yep, you actually just read me write that. I'll explain: Homebox very slyly ordered their test to the wrong standard. When ordering a plastics test you must specify to what standard you want the plastic tested. Homebox chose children's toys and household items. Big mistake. Children's toys are not enclosed tents with large heat sources, nor are household items. Homeboxes test clearly shows the test standard measured in milligrams. Plasticizers kill plants at the picogram level which means homebox's test couldn't even measure that minute amount because they chose the wrong standard. Why did they do this? They have no clue what the problem is about. To kill a plant it takes picograms to do it. To hurt a human it takes milligrams of that same plasticiser. So, stop wondering if any bad tents hurt humans--they do not. Please start wondering why homebox did this and then included bullshit to make everyone worry about human health. Totally unethical.

Homebox is not pristine and they in fact have a lot to answer for. There is a huge difference betweem 10 to the -3 and 10 to the -12 (where they were required to measure to. They do not and never have understood what makes the plants die. Homebox has been duping the world.

Anyone notice how this guy said milligrams of it are harmful to humans and then in the same breath said that a test they performed on their plastic measuring in this scale has no valid data? When in fact it shows that the levels harmful to humans are within acceptable health limitations?

How do you make a point and then stab it in the back in the same breath? I don't know.

ROL ... I dont know shit .. except ... something like that is so fucking crazy ... and insane

Off the charts crazy - dont you think ?

I got nothing to do with Hydro Hut or shilling anyones product .. I just dont give a fuck and less

I do stand behind, support and recommend good product and people ... Hydro Hut's problem was not intentional .. under the circumstances they have been great to me .. replaced my 2 tents for free with great new product ... and been gentleman about it ... just telling my experience .. and keeping the record straight

Toxic Hydro Hut Tents are history .. and thing of the past ... they have great new product available .. and it kicks ass .. thats fact .. not shilling

If you're not a shill then what are you, I didn't even want to comment on this but that first line is a logical straw-man arguement, I'm well familiar with psy ops and manipulations of perception and that's just what you did, he suggested you have internal knowledge that no list was created, yet when he calls you on it you mock his intelligence and sanity trying to make him look disreputable... the man had a valid question and you snow balled him, that reeks of shill and I say this as just some guy off the streets =)

What the fuck is the matter with you ? .. after reading your post carefully .. I cant help but conclude that you really are sick .. this is pathetic .. never the less - you need to learn a lesson

For starters ... Here is what you said

and

I answered - see my post above

Whats the matter - you dont like my answer ?

You dont see some problems with any of what they said ?

Thats all I got - and I could care less about Homebox ... as I have said 2 times now .. in fact, I was not going to make my last post, but you asked for it

WTF are you talking about ... I dont quote anyone ... never did such a thing ... why dont you refresh everyone - fact is your so full of shit here you cant ... because it never, ever happened ... laughable

I came across Dirk only once in the thread listed ... as he said himself

I could care less about Dirk .. you .. or Homebox

Your asking for facts .. I provided it ... you dont like the facts - so now I am out to get Homebox ... ROLMAO

Stop typing .. STFU ... go take a shower .. or a nap or something .. and get some help .. you need it .. this is very tiring .. and boring

Ok lets see

A) You suck up to HydroHut, I'm willing to admit more than a few off brand tents had the same issue, HydroHut just seems the be the biggest name effected.

B) You say you don't care about ruining Homebox's reputation yet you refer to it as "Homobox" in several threads, and have failed like Sundance stated to point out a single grow log anywhere on the internet that shows toxic out gassing in one of their units.

C) You pretend to be an authority on if or if not they created a list for those affected by the out gassing and replacement program they engaged in (good for them own your mistakes, build for the future). Then you use a straw man argument that asked a poignant question.

I do not approve of your conduct nor anyone else's in here, the fact remain toxic problems happened, people lost money, they lost time, they lost plants, and they should be rightfully angry, and companies that are not fourth coming on this issue should lose all respect and repeat business, as well as be put out there as a potential risk.

That said there were several makers that declined public comment simply because they did not have the same problems as the others.

I will give HydroHut respect in that they acknowledged the issue and replaced the offending units, based on their own processes.

The fact is customers were raped by this issue and if they feel resentment towards the companies that potentially took thousands out of their pockets for a grow tent that is one tenth of that then I can certainly understand their positions, you Sundance seem to be ignorant of the ramifications of their lax quality control and in denial of the consequences as a whole for the community this ordeal was.

Your pathetic ... and just wont stop

" Sounds like " .. " Hard to say "

Fact is - you dont know shit, who, what or anything regarding the person who sold these tents .. or if they had anything at all to do with Hydro Hut at all - you should STFU and stop talking about shit you know zero about

Incredible

BTW - its you who handled the off gassing issue poorly .. and are where you are because if it

What is incredible is you two haven't been banned for disrupting the community of IC, especially you Sundance, you keep talking shit, why don't you shut your mouth and you pay all the people that had their crops raped. Otherwise I'd take that bravado out of your typing and start acting humble.

Yes your free to offer your opinion .. but your speculation is nothing more than speculation .. wild at that ... and nothing more than blabbin your lips .. complete bullshit .. and wrong in fact

Your no expert ... and clearly dont know shit ... Stop speaking for anyone but yourself

Correct Berbes ... Bo lost it ... and fucked up a good, informative thread with personal his attacks ... complete bullshit ... and immature drivel .. he wouldnt let it go ... and got a good bitch slapping in return

Some people dont know when to STFU

Sucks - but all it takes is one, selfish, un-controllable asshole to fuck things up for everyone

Consider banning Sundance, he came in there, he started the argument shilling for HydroHut, he wouldn't let it go, he kept insulting anyone that brought up a valid question, he claims this other person is speculating and they're... but he's doing the same thing at the same time trying to destroy the reputation of Homebox..... I've read tens of threads on this out gassing issue and never once have I personally seen anyone say a Homebox did this, or a Secret Jardin, not one person.

I've got a tent from California Nurseries on Ebay, and the stitching is sub par, but I only payed around 170 for it, the interior is the same silver material everyone else is using, the tray on the bottom is the silver too, the zippers are good, light holes peak through the outer material as has been noted with so many other higher priced models so I was relieved of that.

I've experienced no out gassing issues what so ever, so I would say the silver lined ones are the safest bet out there and beware of the white plastic ones still being offered on Ebay to this day.

Indeed - the new series of Silver Lined tents from Hydro Hut are kick ass

I have 2 new tents .. my plants are in 2 -3 weeks now .. and doing great .. I am very happy with the quality of the tents ... and that my environment is correct

In addition to the Silver Lined series of tents ... Hydro Hut had an ad in Growing Edge Magazine describing their new line of tents coming out called " Stealth Insulator " that is Thermal Insulated and IR Blocked

Hydro Hut has been designing these tents for 2 + years .. toxic thing came up ... Silver Series came up .. and the new line of " Insulator Stealth " should be available in the next 4-6 months

Great idea

www.hydrohuts.com

Post after post after post and you're obviously a shill.

How do you know when their new tents are coming out? Why do you care? Why do you feel like you're advertising on these forums for free. Why are you directly linking to a site anyone could find with five seconds and a search engine. They didn't design anything, as I understand it Homebox was first and everyone else is a copy cat, maybe they're quality copies, but they're copies none the less, I've read else where and HydroHut took months to acknowledge the issue, here's a suggestion before you sell people tents you know they're going to be growing extremely valuable cash crops in, how about you do at least ONE TEST GROW OF YOUR OWN. If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be selling them in the first place. Its called Quality Control, any serious business has it, fly by nights do not.

I can admit the new Hydro Huts could be awesome, I've heard some warm things now that it's 2009 and the toxic out gassing seems to be over for the most part, but the way you suck up to them Sundance... is SHILLTACULAR, you have not had one positive thing to say about ANY OTHER BRAND, NOT ONE, NOT ONE SINGLE PRODUCT, while at the same time mocking Homebox by calling it "Homobox".

You sir are an idiot, a moron and a clown, I've read five pages of your posts now, all you do is use straw man arguments, and resort to insulting people to make them look as if they're lesser than yourself, I can tell you right now my IQ shits on yours and your pathetic little brain and your games you're playing even though they're not my business, have CAUSED me to post these messages pointing out your logical fallacies, your straw men arguments, and your speculations you define as fact.

This is the only thread on IC I've seen with people arguing like this, and frankly I believe you need to be banned for the good of the community as a whole.

Hi Homegrow3r .. thanks for the kind words

For the record - I have very little to say about Homebox .. as I have never seen one in person ... and what little I had to say .. was said ... until I was pushed further .. and made post #79 on page 6 of this thread .. a post I was not going to make .. but that I was pushed to .. I kinda like that one .. you should read it again - good reading

Like I have said many times - I bought 2 defective Hydro Hut tents .. got caught up in this mess ... didnt freak .. talked it up ... listened .. learned .. and here I am ... Just an individual grower ... speaking for myself - period

I dont work or get paid by Hydro Hut - but thanks for asking

Oh .. and I only called one guy a moron - and he very much deserves it

Thanks for checking my posts .. you must have a lot of time on your hands ... actually .. I have not posted any pics .. I dont and have never felt the need to show off

But thanks for your very constructive comments

You have a nice day Homey

You're obviously a shill, you're obviously payed by them, you did mock Homebox's products, and now you say you've never seen one, touched one, felt one? Shilltacular.

And we're to believe that you bought two tents, had them slaughter your plants and you were not upset at all and calmly and coolie absorbed all the financial losses occurred from this event? I call BS as a human being with emotions. Either you're a shill or a HydroHut brand ROBOT.

some people seem offended and take competition personally.
it is as of they resent the idea that anyone would make another hut. how dare anyone make a hut homebox is the only hut.

sadly for these people they dont get it.
competition is a good thing. it can if done properly drive prices down giving us the consumer a great deal of leverage when it comes to purchase power.
so i could care less about who makes what.
the fact is that product problems are sadly part of the game.
the fact one company got hit with most of the blame is likely due to the fact it was outselling most others. but we all know the out gassing was not limited to just one company.
we are not stupid people here.
this issue has been identified.
i don't buy white tents it is as simple as that. and i dont care if they are Hydrohut, homebox, or Secret...... this issue was a result of changes beyond the control of the companies it happened in mfg.. and it could have happened to ANYONE OF THEM!!!

Personally i am not interested in rehashing old BS it is not productive.
what i am interested in is moving forward and seeing better products for ME!!
is Hydrohuts making better products? I would have to say from what i have seen YES.
I would go one step further in saying that you would be less likely to have an issue with a hydrohut due to the issue. you can bet they are watching production like a hawk now. I know i would be if i were them.

Can this or something like it happen again?? sure it can this is how it is.
I do think Hudtohuts above all others who got hit with this was far more forthcoming in trying to resolve it tho. most of these companies simply lied and denied everything and changed formulas.
others did so and flooded the market with bad tents and then claimed they were not their tents and really counterfeit ones. after the offgassing happened tons of bad products hit ebay and other sites.

Some douche with twelve posts, mysteriously walks into the thread, defending Sundance, yes you're right, we're not stupid. And you are a schill as well.

HydroHut this HydroHut that.... if you two aren't payed by them you should be, you sure suck up a lot.

Isn't it interesting neither of you has anything good to say about a single other brand let alone the original that never experienced this out gassing that must have cost at least millions of dollars internationally in lost nutrients, plants, bulbs, ballasts, electricity, etc.

Personally you both make me sick and anyone with a slightly higher than normal IQ would instantly see through you. And to believe I got kicked off 420magazines forums for making a few suggestions as a customer on products I like, yet over here, you get to blatantly shill page after page of this thread and no one has stepped in and banned you yet.

Fing Amazing.

BTW

Google

Define:Shill

a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others

Hi Dirk

Before I read your drivel ... I thought I would put up your last words to me ... which also turned out to be your last post ... before it was you who ran and went hiding

Just for laughs - here was my reply

That was November 14, 2008

Welcome back from hiding

Care to elaborate ?

I'm gonna read your post now .. perhaps I have something to say later ... prob-lee

Whoops - I see you did

Even is here .. I am sure he will chime in .. and answer for himself ... as he is quite capable of doing ... he dont need my help

This is a pleasure for me ... You turned out to be a major jerk ... your testing procedures an absolute joke ... and your not even close to being a nice guy - it all shows in your posts

Hydro Huts problems with toxicity are over - history .. why continue blabbin your lips ?

Hydro Huts brand new silver series kicks ass ... and I saw an Hydro Huts ad for the new Insulator Stealth - IR Blocked and Thermal Insulated ... a fantastic idea

I am gonna read the rest of your post in a bit ... gotta start the day .. make money - looks like a long boring post .. but just for laughs ... I am sure I will reply later

You're an ass and I was seriously considering HydroHuts as I've heard good things about the newer models but seeing how your company does business on forums through proxies, and by hiding behind names instead of being like the Homebox guy, coming out and stating who you work for and your affiliations before posting has made me seriously reconsider even trying your product as the level of BS you degrade yourselves and the product too is entirely unattractive from a consumer stand point.

Hey Benji .. your right .. it sucked .. but it was not done intentionally ... and to this day .. Hydro hut is the only company who admitted their problem .. did something to try and fix it - at their own expense .. didnt work .. pulled product .. didnt sell a single tent for over a year ... and now have great new product out called the Hydro Hut Silver Series

Hydro Hut is replacing their tents for free - if you have a toxic Hydro Hut tent .. and a legitimate claim .. then get in touch with Hydro Hut .. and I am sure they will sort you out

I have 2 tents of the new Hydro Hut Silver Series .. Environment correct .. plants doing great .. I am very happy with all - including construction quality of the tents

Toxic Hydro Hut tents are history

Hydro Hut is moving forward

www.hydrohuts.com

Who gives a flying F if you replace the tents, that's a good step but what about all the wasted, effort, seeds, plants, electricity, time, nutrients.

Replacing a shitty product that was falsely advertised as plant safe is the bare minimum they could do to remain in business period.

Hey Benji .. your right .. it sucked .. but it was not done intentionally ... and to this day .. Hydro hut is the only company who admitted their problem .. did something to try and fix it - at their own expense .. didnt work .. pulled product .. didnt sell a single tent for over a year ... and now have great new product out called the Hydro Hut Silver Series

Hydro Hut is replacing their tents for free - if you have a toxic Hydro Hut tent .. and a legitimate claim .. then get in touch with Hydro Hut .. and I am sure they will sort you out

I have 2 tents of the new Hydro Hut Silver Series .. Environment correct .. plants doing great .. I am very happy with all - including construction quality of the tents

Toxic Hydro Hut tents are history

Hydro Hut is moving forward

www.hydrohuts.com

Yet another link to their site, or should I say your site, and another claim you own two and your plants are good.

Talk is cheap, a picture is worth a thousand words, so where's your grow log proving your plants even exist? Exactly no where, you have no evidence of your claims.

WTF - lets play

Wikipedia - very impressive .. we all know everything written in there is true .. and fact ... NOT

Nuclear power industry ? .. Possible risk of nuclear plants ? .. what does that have to do with tents ? .... and plants ? ... not nuclear plants .. pot plants

Or maybe the problem is with you .. besides - why criticize something you don't understand ... don't know the truth about ... or all the facts ?

People were afraid of the unknown .. and from false rumors .. of which you put out a few yourself

ROL .. it was NOT just Hydro Hut that was affected .. many makers were .. and fact is .. at the time ... you .. like everyone else .. did not know what was up

ROL .. I am no rocket scientist either .. and dont care to be .. but whats funny is - your testing your product against " Children's toys " and " Household Goods " ... what does that have to do with 1000+ watts of light .. and constant high heat being run in your boxes ? .. or plants ?

ROL .. but it useless Dirk .. Wasted time, wasted money, for bullshit

Then .. because you think .. it must be so .. fact ... and true for plants

I know nothing .. cant comment ... but where there is ... smoke n fire ... and all that

Yes .. I did ... it was a typo at first ... but your gay friend Bojangles thought it was funny .. while I had no further comment or misspellings .. he kept hamerring .. and hammering me on it .. and then had the nerve to say .. " skeet, skeet, skeet in your face Sundance " .. ROL ... While I am NOT gay .. or even close to being gay .. in all my years on this planet - I have never had a guy say that to me ... I asked everyone ... and I ask you too ... what kind of guy says that to another guy ? .. he must be gay

Well anyway ... thats how " Homobox " got its origins .. and now ... its a new word ... maybe it will find its way to Google and Wikipedia ?

Also Dirk .. apparently English is not your first language .. but you should have thought more about the name you chose ... and how much fun kids of all ages would have messing with it just a little bit

We have a saying in America .. if the name fits - wear it

Well .. thats about it

This got a little personal for me .. as I have been personally attacked by fools like Dirk and Bojangles ... and chose to engage .. rather than be a pussy and look the other way

Anyone interested in tents .. should do their homework ... look at everything out there ... then pick the best ... and what they like best

I just happen to prefer Hydro Huts products ... The new silver lined tents kick ass .. Poles, corners and ceiling are made of steel - strongest on the market ... the guys at Hydro Hut have been absolute gentleman throughout this fucked up mess .. and are now making a much better product because of it

He was saying you were quoting the plastic makers themselves information, and comparing that to the Nuclear Industry making attempts to block the full disclosure of health information and he was valid and correct, asking the people that own the industry if there are health risks is asinine, that's like asking the Tobacco companies if cigarettes kill and and we all know how that went.

You say you called it a Homobox as a typo? What kind of back tracking little girl are you, look at your keyboards everyone, see how the E is all the way on the LEFT, and the O is all the way on the RIGHT, so I call bullshit on that one. No you defamed their product and insinuated it at the same problems as the other out gassing tents, and you've been completely unable to provide any evidence. =) God I wish I worked for one of these companies cause damn I'm a good spokesman.

loko17

Ohh this thread brings back very bad memories! Lost about 8 months of very high rent plus many lives of my favorite girls! Could never even think for a second that something you buy for the wellness of your plants can kill them so fast! I will post some pics later on cause even though I still might be a newbie grower I think I can consider myself an expert on growing in these little concentration camps ;) Might be funny now but I actually had to sell my car to get the money for the rent!