What's new

Greatest Rock Album?

Bonzo

Veteran
One that pops into my head and dosent seem to get enough recognition(which is ok) is Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, ummm, Guns 'n' Roses, Appetite For Destruction.

Of course all led zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream

more later im sure

peace

bonz

Bonzo

Veteran
couple reggae picks: Bob Marley, Babylon by Bus (live) Steel Pulse, True Democracy

bonz

G

White Album....just those 2 words & everyone over age 40 would know.

Unless it's already been said... :confused: :chin:

If we go to the most influential within the last 15 years, you have to go with Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains(My favorite), and Pearl Jam and I'm being extremely broad on the spectrum, but those Seattle area bands did a job on the sound of music and basically put lead guitar on the shelf and being from the area REALLY pissed me off!

1978--Van Halen.....absolutely changed the face of electric guitar because of Eddie's little etude called "Eruption"....any guitar shredder would know that to be true.

G

giantmanbags said:
If we go to the most influential within the last 15 years, you have to go with Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains(My favorite), and Pearl Jam and I'm being extremely broad on the spectrum, but those Seattle area bands did a job on the sound of music and basically put lead guitar on the shelf and being from the area REALLY pissed me off!

1978--Van Halen.....absolutely changed the face of electric guitar because of Eddie's little etude called "Eruption"....any guitar shredder would know that to be true.

:confused: I'm a little confused...I totally 100% agree with you on that era & those bands have been the most influential & some of the greatest power trios [just lead, bass, drums], minus Cream & The Who, that have ever been playing.....but why do you say being from the area REALLY pisses you off? I think it'd be rather cool being around the 'Grunge' scene, all the different clubs there probably were. Besides the 60s, the 90s Grunge is a close 2nd.

So, I guess when I'm getting at...are you saying you like that era or hate it?
I may be too ripped. :confused: :chin: :joint:

DankBank

I Used To Grow said:
I have to agree on Metallica's "Black Album"...great stuff from them in their prime.

You have songs like "Nothing Else Matters" and "Enter Sandman".

Metallica owned on that album.

This is all subjective stuff, of course... so no one's right or wrong, but I have to respectfully disagree on this one... in my opinion, M's black album was the beginning of their long and sad goodbye. Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All will forever be my favorites.. back when they were raw, had less professional production, and James Het field hadn't gotten into that weird thing where he finishes the last word of damn near every verse with "AH!"....
If there's any best of all time hard rock album with the darkest color in it, I'd call Back in Black. Every single song is absolutely perfect.

I've always thought that the White Album was over-rated. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and really don't enjoy much of what's on that album.

A few of my all time favorites (I can't pick one)

First two I noticed above and have to agree!

G 'n' R "Appetite"
Chili Peppers "BSSM"
Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" I can listen to it over and over
Eagles "One the Border" most of thier best songs aren't ever played on the radio
Paul McCartney & Wings "Wings Greatest"
Megadeath "Countdown to Extinction" Metallica NEVER played like THAT!
Joni Mitchell "Hejira" (another "over and over"... only one or 2 bla songs
Iron Maiden "Piece of Mind"
Peter Gabriel "So"
Alice in Chains "Dirt" As far as the grunge thing, I like Staley a lot more than Cobain
Radiohead "The Bends" they were great before the entire band overdosed on LSD & stopped playing music lol.
Gotta throw in "Diary of a Madman" too
Joe Walsh - "But Seriously, Folks" & "There Goes the Neighborhood"
Judas Priest - "Screaming for Vengeance" (and many other early JP's)
CPR - Their first album
There's a really cool story behind CPR... David Crosby had a son and basically didn't know anything about him as he'd either been adopted at birth or he didn't stay with the mother (can't remember that part) but anyhow, his son grew up never knowing his father was Crosby, yet he turned out to be a fantastic musician (singer,writer,piano player)....
A few years ago they were re-united, and after jamming together they found that there was incredible chemstry, so they put a band together and recorded an album.
ANYONE WHO IS A FAN OF CROSBY, STILLS, NASH (& sometimes YOUNG)
M U S T GET CPR's FIRST ALBUM. It's as if Crosby was somehow transported back to the early days... many people look at CPR's first album as David Crosby's best work.... as in best in his whole lifetime. And once you hear it, you'll understand why.
So... if you're a CSN&Y fan, PLEASE GET CPR's first... I promise your mind will be blown away and you'll consider it a favorite for the rest of ur life :)
ok I'll calm down now... bonghit time :)

Last edited:

DankBank

omega7 said:
I cant believe no one said IRON MAIDEN. Im not a metal head or anything, but maiden are incredible. Piece of mind,powerslave,number of the beast seventh son of a seventh son. All the older albums are great.

YEP!

btw - I noticed that some rap was mentioned here and there... we must keep in mind that this discussion is about music... people talking shit doesn't count lol.

did I mention I hate MOST rap & what it's done to the music industry?
Everyone has the ability to talk shit... not as many can play an instrument or sing better than the average American Idol tryout.
Someday, we'll all be looking back at MOST rap & laughing about those goofballs the same way we look back at the hair-metal guys.

"Hey.. I've got an idea... I have a horrible self esteem problem and I care about nothing other than money and what people think of me, so I'll wear half of fort knox around my neck and make little movies where I talk about how awesome I am.... & I'll cram as many material objects into the background as possible! Also, I'll make sure all those hot chicks that, were it not for my money, would have nothing whatsoever to do with me are dancing around me, sitting in my car, and rubbing up against me even though the only thing they really want to rub up against is my wallet."

I love the Beastie Boys and Run DMC... so like I said - MOST rap.

BTW - I loved Wingers last album... seriously, so I'm not dissing the hair-metal. But the "look" and the "attitude" was pretty hilarious.
Spinal Tap LIVES!!
db

Last edited:

DankBank

No Where-Man said:
A few more; (I am leaving my Jazz & Blues out)

Scorpions – Love at first Sting
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Mountian – Climbing
Ozzy – No More Tears (R.Rhodes) – Shot is the Dark (not on this LP) is one of my fav all time songs
James Gang – Rides Again – Bang – Teaser
Joe Walsh – The Smoker You Drink the Player you Get
Deep Purpol – Come Taste the Band (Getting Tighter-T.Bolin)

Randy died a LONG LONG time before No More Tears. Z. Wylde played NMT.

DankBank

Verite said:
Then how come the first record in all your guys collections is this one?

abba.jpe

wow look at the bags under the brunettes eyes... it was the 70's, right?
Maybe she'd been doing coke for a few weeks lol.
db

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Didnt anyone else have the Greatest American Hero soundtrack?

" ... believe it or not, its just weed. "

WilliamKatt.jpg

Zoltron, I'll tellya why it pissed me off....it brought about a a change in the way rock music was presented for the most part verse, 2nd verse, bridge--the solo and back to verse......I love changes but c'mon let's face it the number of great rock solos on popular rock stations is few and far between within the new rock of the last 10 years....but great is subjective and a lot of people might think otherwise and I respect them for that.......but when I hear solos that sound like me in my first year of playing it is really gut wrenching.

Bottom line if that is how it is then I acquiesce to that and just love the music as it is but man I wish there were some new young dudes who would tear a new one when it comes to a guitar solo......there are about 8 bands that I've heard that had a very skilled solo hapnin....and I believe there are more coming.

R

Ronley

Work for All - Jaluka, Johnny Clegg. A South African Band.
Sgt Peppers,

G

Good point, GMB, but I always thought the DeLeo bros in STP were tight as hell. Also liked Kim Thayil in Soundgarden....Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains isn't too bad either.
But yeah, there hasn't been any real 'standout' in the way of guitar-slinger since Stevie Ray Vaughn.
After that, forget it.

G

KYUSS: Blues for the Red Sun
Black Sabbath: Sabotage (Listening to Megalomania stoned is a life changing experience.)
Quicksand: Slip
ZZ top: deguello

Anyone who said the Black Album needs to go back and take a hard listen to their Metallica collection. That album was the beginning of the end for them. And Justice was decent, but after that it was corporate radio land for those douchebags. The Black album can't be better than Master of Puppets, it just can't be, I'm sorry...that's not allowed or Cliff Burton will rise from the dead to punish all with his mighty Bass powers.

Rock on.
DKF

G

But yeah, there hasn't been any real 'standout' in the way of guitar-slinger since Stevie Ray Vaughn.
After that, forget it
For conservation;

I appreciate your choice;

SRV was great in his own right, and is a Legend in TX that deserves his place in the ‘Guitar Slingers’ hall of fame.

However in my opinion…and mind you this just my opinion; and I have also been playing guitar for 30+ years to base it on……/ there are many guitar players better than SRV - his music grows tire-some after many listens / try 1 named Walter Trout http://www.waltertrout.com/ - one of the best and un-known guitar hero’s - many greats credit him.

Relentless: recorded live at The Paradiso in Amsterdam is breathtaking at times for guitar players :yoinks: he sings and writes with passion and plays like fire.

Different tastes that’s what makes the world go around – I see some great guitar players listed / Bill Gibons is another great one

Last edited:

Fat Albert

Chicago: Chicago II
Metallica: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All
The Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach
Boston: Boston
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II, Houses of the Holy
Grateful Dead: Aoxomoxoa
Earth, Wind, and Fire: Live in Rio

In no particular order....

Fat A

G

No Where-Man said:
For conservation;

I appreciate your choice;

SRV was great in his own right, and is a Legend in TX that deserves his place in the ‘Guitar Slingers’ hall of fame.

My favorite of all the TX guitarists has always been Johnny Winter. The album 'Johnny Winter And/Live' is still 1 of my all-time favorites.
If you live in TX, my old friend of 40 yrs has a band in Dallas named 'Code Blue' & he's lead guitar [him & I go back to 5th grade, 1964]. If you get a chance to see them [or if you even live there], check them out sometime.