What's new

Greatest Rock Album?

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, and the music's even more wacked than the name of it's creators.
For classic rock I gotta nominate Quadrophenia by The Who, to me well above anything else they did, and the interplay between Entwhistle and Moon is awesome.

G

Wow, Trout Mask Replica by Capt Beefheart...you're going waaaaaay back.

Plus I always thought Entwhistle/Moon percussions are the tightest of any band ever. Townsend was more of a back-up lead guitarist.:D

Stiffler

fav, albums

fav, albums

ok, heres my next 10 fav. albums, if any1 cares.......(not in exact order, just stuff I like a lot)

11. Scorpions- Blackout
12. Yngwie Malmsteen- Rising Force
13. Iron Maiden- Dance of Death
14. Ozzy Osbourne- Speak of the Devil
15. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
16. Kid Rock- Devil Without a Cause
17. Sacred Riech- The American Way
18. Black Sabbath- Sabatoge
19. Joe Satriani- Surfin' With the Alien
20. Testament- The Ritual

G

I think Kid Rock's 'Devil Without a Cause' is 1 of the best albums of the late 90s/early 00s [man, does that look weird in print...00s:D].

G

JohnBudd said:
Looking thru my stacks of LP's, and trying to decide which is the best. I guess is a matter of taste but I have my preferences. Here is a short list ....

1. Rush 2112
2. Beatles White Album
3. Allman Bros Eat a Peach
4. Jethro Tull Auqalung
5. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
6. Grateful Dead Steal your Face
7. Frank Zappa All of them!

And lets go for the worst.....when I hear this song my stomach turns......
Crystal Gale.......don't it make my brown eyes...(gag) blue

Rock n Roll is not music......its a lifestyle....party on Garth!

Well for me I'd have to say it's number 5 Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd as it contains my all time favorite song Money. I just love the use of the sax in that one and it was the first time I ever experienced rock that incorporated less conventional instruments. Not to mention their tour for that album is still the best concert I've ever been to. :smile:

G

Aqualung was 1 of the best concerts I've seen. Jethro Tull would always tour after each album that came out & Aqualung, then Thick as a Brick would be 2nd.
Tull always had such good sideshows happening during the concerts. :D

G

zoltron said:
Aqualung was 1 of the best concerts I've seen. Jethro Tull would always tour after each album that came out & Aqualung, then Thick as a Brick would be 2nd.
Tull always had such good sideshows happening during the concerts. :D

Yes, Ian and the Tull crew put on an excellent show as well I'd rate them third behind Zepplin for concerts out of the ones I've seen, ZZ Top and Rush round out the top 5 for my favorite concerts. The top ten also include Robin Trower, Little Feet, Frank Marino and Mahoghany Rush, Metallica and the Original Van Halen before David Lee got too full of himself.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Right up until the Skating Away tour. That one kinda stunk. Nice jumpsuit dude.

Calyxander

Frank Zappa IMO was the best composer/performer in the rock world, not in any particular order, I submit the following:
One size fits All
Apostrophe
Overnight Sensation
Hot Rats
Zoot Allures

Was Skating Away the one with "the hare that lost it's spectacles???
If so, that's when I gave up on Tull, loved everything prior though!

G

I believe I saw one important guitarist/band that was missing from the favorites list.

That would be all of the albums recorded by Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. The Canadian Hendrix.

Also, any albums that Tommy Bolin was on either solo, the James Gang, or Deep Purple. :chin:

G

Cactus Trail said:
I believe I saw one important guitarist/band that was missing from the favorites list.

That would be all of the albums recorded by Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. The Canadian Hendrix.

Also, any albums that Tommy Bolin was on either solo, the James Gang, or Deep Purple. :chin:

I got within 15 ft of Frank Marino playing live twice and got to see FM & MR 5 times overall - http://www.mahoganyrush.com/ - ck out his mp3 player ...on DLive some where around min 6 of "who do you love" he takes names.. :wink:

Tommy Bolin - James Gang (Bang - Standing in the Rain) -Deep Purple (Getting Tighter) = 2 of my fav songs

A few go fast songs;

Montrose - Bad motor scooting
Scorpions - Blackout
Chris Cross - Ride like the wind
Boston - Smoking

Last edited:

JohnBudd

Tommy Bolin did a couple of solo albums before his earthly departure. One with him and the oriental girls on the front of lp is a favorite. You folks must be old!

G

Heheh.....we ain't gettin' any younger!

That album was "Private Eyes". "Teaser" was great also.

Tommy Bolin must of been about 12 when he was in "Zephyr". :joint:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Calyxander said:
Frank Zappa IMO was the best composer/performer in the rock world, not in any particular order, I submit the following:
One size fits All
Apostrophe
Overnight Sensation
Hot Rats
Zoot Allures

Was Skating Away the one with "the hare that lost it's spectacles???
If so, that's when I gave up on Tull, loved everything prior though!

Not sure but heres a link to a midi of it I found.
http://home.comcast.net/~wizardki/skatingaway.html

Also if your a zappa head you should get the DVD Baby Snakes. Three hours of sheer zappiness.

G

JohnBudd said:
Tommy Bolin did a couple of solo albums before his earthly departure. One with him and the oriental girls on the front of lp is a favorite. You folks must be old!

I got that 1 solo album with the song 'Post Toastee' that's about 17 minutes long. An excellent album. I think him & Linda 'The Exorcist' Blair were pretty tight. :yoinks:

OXOSSI

London Calling anyone?
Discipline- King Crimson
Rattus Norvegicus, Black and White - the Stranglers
Morrison Hotel ........

twilson

"Trout Mask Replica" was one of the greatest without a doubt

"Book of Taliesin" by Deep Purple recorded in 67 or 68 before they went bubblegum.

Blackmores solos alone are worth it. He threw in all those augmented and diminished intervals that made him sound like a jazz guitarist on acid.

"Band of Gypsys" cause Miles said "Machine Gun" was his favorite tune. Claimed he had to take a nap after he would listen cause it was exhausting

G

Led Zeppelin ~ BBC Sessions

This shows Zep in all it's glory, warts and all. They aren't perfect, they mess up a couple times, and the sound quality sucks. But this album gives you just a glimpse of the power behind Zeppelin, and even that glimpse is mind blowing.

Also, this one has the first live performance of "Black Dog".

Latest posts

Latest posts