What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grape Ape

GlandualFever

Grape I tasted in A'dam in Feb was outstanding...Very little purple colouration, just glowing illuminous green bulbous bud glistening with resin, that tasted Awesome. Ive noticed that since then Apothecary Seeds Grape Ape has fast disappeared from stock in most places...

But one thing that isnt crystal, is whether GDP and Ape are one and the same. All things point to Grape Ape being a distinct pheno from the original GPD crossing. Or is that wrong too?

Either Skunk x Paki or GDP specific pheno?

Last edited:

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grape Ape. Same cut that's been in this thread for a decade now :tiphat:

picture.php

PP :friends:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Maybe it is grand daddy purple (purple urkle x big bud) after all bret bogue sells gdp as grape ape so that's my input

therevverend

Veteran
Here's some Grape Ape hybrid pics:
Grape Ape x Early Girl (Early girl is a strain bred through the years by Mendocino growers. Called early girl for the same reason there's a tomato strain called early girl. It finishes earlier then the guy's other strains.)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Grape Ape x Bubblegum
picture.php

picture.php

Talking it over with Mendocino growers it's most likely Grape Ape is different then Grand Daddy Purple. In the 80s and 90s there are all sorts of tasty purple coming out of Mendocino some better and some worse. Grape Ape has such a distinct flavor I'd guess they're from the same family but different.
I think Purple Urkle is closer to the original purple Afghani these strains were bred from. The versions of Urke I've seen were smaller and less vigorous, while being more skunky and hashy. Grape Ape has that amazing grape juice flavor. In the 90s I saw many fruity purple strains from Mendocino, various types of fruity purple intensity. These were created by hybridizing purple Afghanis and other hashplants with Mexican and other local sativas. I'm guessing the best were Thai hybrids.
The Grape Ape, Urkle, and GDP have stuck around because they don't throw male flowers. There were better purple strains in the 90s, hard to believe, more potent and fruitier. They are extinct or hard to find now because they yielded less and always showed hermaphrodite I'm assuming from their land race narrow leaf heritage.

therevverend

Veteran
I guess I'm not a big Grand Daddy Purple fan probably because I spent time in Mendocino in the 90's and saw the real thing. It's an all right strain, the size and shape of the nugs give it bag appeal. But compared to the stuff people were growing in the 90s it's not close.
There was quite a bit of 'Purple Kush' in the PNW at the same time. Premium indoor nugs. Before the 'OG Kush craze, this stuff was supposedly from the Kush region of Asia. Very frosty, hashy, and narcotic. It was an indoor strain different from the Mendocino purple strains.

weedtoker

Veteran
Hope I'm not hijacking totally but by chance can anyone track down Grape Ape that Barney's F. sold fem'd for years (Think they did it till '13/14)??

Got this pretty lady years ago, very relaxing but kinda heady/trippy, very grapey/musky (like nice licorous wines), the concentrates are just the flower on steroids, no changes :biggrin::

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Never S1'd her to check (on the pipeline tough)

Cheers

weedtoker

Veteran
Bumpidy Bump, my searches for BF Ape lead to Afghan x Indian Charas Plant, others Grapefruit x Auto (think later version), GDP X SK1 also mentioned several times. Maybe with Barney's now becoming a sponsor, and it being discontinued for a while will help out? :dance013:

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
I've still got Grape Ape hybrid seeds, Grape Ape x Bubblegum and Grape Ape x Early Girl. Not the 'Indiana' gum or the Sensi 'girl' but strains bred in Mendo. Both hybrids are excellent, lots of wonderful sweet grape flavors ranging from a vintage wine type to a candy grape. Got a couple Grape Ape x Early Girls going, here's a picture from a month ago.

picture.php

I heard something exciting the other day, a friend still has un-hybridized Grape Ape seeds! They're getting old but still viable, says he's going to reproduce them hopefully next year. He got the seeds from a friend who's been tight lipped about where they originally came from. The most he could find out is they came from a Humboldt homesteader, along with another excellent purple strain I've enjoyed over the years.

I've always seen Grape Ape in clone or hybrid form but I've been suspicious because he had different phenotypes of straight Grape Ape. Grape Ape has been a go-to strain for me the last few years, excellent quality outdoors and Oct 1 finish. So I've gotten to know it pretty good and he has the real deal.

One thing I'm certain of is that it's not the same strain as Purple Urkle or Granddaddy Purp. I've grown those too and they're obviously different though purple and coming from the California Emerald Triangle. Urkle is a squat wide leaf hashplant, much more mold prone. GDP is more similar in shape but is a different shade of purple, not as grapey, and has more jagged serrations.

My experience with Grape Ape has been outdoors, it's a good sized plant with a bushy open structure, topping out at 8 or 9 feet. Probably a little more in sunny climates, in Cali over a pound a plant is possible if not likely. I've noticed a phos-cal-mag triangle of hunger for the strain, some plants develop variagated and/or wrinkled leaves if it's not supplied in decent sized amounts. Definitely a strain that likes to feed you'll be rewarded if you do.

The Grape Ape high is relaxing but not couch-lock, introspective, with a noticeable body effect. The bubblegum hybrid tested above 20% for outdoor so it's certainly strong but I wouldn't call it overpowering.

However one time I hadn't smoked in a couple years, took bong hits of Grape Ape. That was overpowering, I felt like I was on LSD. I had to walk through an outdoor street fair type atmosphere and I almost lost it a couple times. Thank God I found the beer garden and a band was playing, I was able to settle down a bit. Normally Grape Ape isn't like that although it does lend itself to psychedelic type introspection.

Still the best flavour of anything ive ever tasted. Theres some mangoey mangoes out there but the one freebie GA i grew out as a balcony plant floored me. Straight up grape juice bubblegum. Been chasing it ever since with no joy..

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Bump
Anyone still have this cut ?

I wish. My friend lost all the S1's we made. Fantastic scent, super dense flower. Like Rev I only have outcrosses. One in particular is with juicy fruit. Ended up being called Welch's Grape Juice. Other out cross is w red headed stranger. Haven't grown it out yet. Should be cool when I get to it.

indagroove

Veteran
Bump
Anyone still have this cut ?

Yep..

https://darkheartnursery.com/strains/grape-ape/

attachment.php

General Information
BREEDER: Apothecary Genetics
TYPE: Indica Dominant
GENETICS: Afghani x Skunk # 1
AVERAGE RATING: 4.7 stars
History
GEOGRAPHIC ORIGIN: California, USA

STORY: Perhaps named after the late 1970’s Hanna-Barbera cartoon, The Great Grape Ape Show, a rightful name since the buds are big, dense and purple like the Grape Ape character himself. The variety, Grape Ape, was created by long time cancer survivor and cannabis activist, Bret Bogue, also founder of Apothecary Genetics.

Growing Information
FLOWERING TIME: 8-9 weeks

YIELD: Moderate

GROWING TIPS: Keep this bush trimmed low and tight to increase density. Grape Ape is DHN’s heaviest yielding purple strain.

DIFFICULTY: Intermediate

Patient Expectations
SCENT: Spicy, woodsy, sharp, skunky

FLAVOR: Grape soda, sweet, floral

EFFECTS: Uplifting then calming, euphoric, relaxing. This is a versatile smoke starting off with a cerebral uplift awakening the senses followed by a calming euphoric relaxed state of being.

SUGGESTED MEDICAL USE: Neck and back pain, body aches, insomnia, anxiety, stress, headaches

Attachments

• GrapeApe-@grow_envy-775x900.jpg
    GrapeApe-@grow_envy-775x900.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 95

Happy Times

Still the best flavour of anything ive ever tasted. Theres some mangoey mangoes out there but the one freebie GA i grew out as a balcony plant floored me. Straight up grape juice bubblegum. Been chasing it ever since with no joy..

Wondering what seed co the freebie was from if you remember?

Wondering what seed co the freebie was from if you remember?

Ive never been sure bro- it haunts me. It was a freebie i just threw it in round the house for some variation and it was amazing.

Looking at what was being promoted round the same time maybe it was a moxie Grape Kush. Grown out too many average purple strains looking for that pheno.

therevverend

Veteran
My Grape Apes were hit hard by the mold monster. They were hybridized with a Mendocino Early Girl, dense Afghani type that made matters worse. The plants that showed more grapey, fruitier, and darker purple showed much better resistance. Here's some pics, first the more Early Girl influenced.

album.php

picture.php

Very dense flowers. What didn't mold or get hacked early is turning much darker purple now. Wish the weather hadn't been so horrible these are some big yielding plants. Here's the grapey ones that are done now.

picture.php

Wow terribly blurry, that's what happens when you're harvesting and snapping pictures. Here's a better one.

picture.php

The wind did almost as much damage as the rain, the two are definitely in cahoots. My two deep purple plants were beat to hell, broken limbs all over. They got twisted and snapped then one way, then the other. Great finish considering the plant looked like this two weeks ago.

picture.php

One of the branches was hanging upside down along the main stem, barely attached. It somehow fattened up into a wonderful frosty dense cola. Ganja is an amazing plant and Grape Ape is a very hardy strain.

ICGA

Cold? I had temp issues and my GA and Urkles got almost black. Temp, lol. They're not that similar. GA is more like grape candy, Urkle is strait up grape skunk. It's like saying you can't tell the difference between Sour Diesel, OG Kush, and Headband....:moon:
When you say grape candy which cross are you referring to? There used to be a strain in the big book of buds or something called that.

ICGA

@relentless, post some pics, I'm especially interested in the Urkle - GDP - Grape Ape differences you see in their leaf growth pattern/flowering/budding.
All plants leaves look pretty different under different light spectrums. So it's not always easy to figure things out based on leaf shapes. Like hps vs sunlight usually looks almost like a different plant etc.

ICGA

I just recently picked up a cut of Grape Ape, along with Strawberry Cough and Snocap. I have a nice stocky Bubbledust (Growdoc) male that I'm gonna dust a few bottom buds with. I was thinking the Bubbledust would make a nice cross to GA. Any thoughts?

I got a Grape ape pheno from a pack of seeds called sugarape F2's I have cuts and the original went into flower last week (Shes a female). Took 4 months veg to get her to about 10" in flower shes stretched up to about 18" but during this rapid growth the leave come out Clawed

Anybody else experience this with her?
That's potassium over fertilization some plants are moresensative than others.

Latest posts

Latest posts