What's new

GOLD PROSPECTING

NOKUY

Veteran
Anyone else wanna call that Todd Hoffman and tell him to get outta the kitchen and get his ass busy? They stop work every 15 minutes even when the wash plant is running..look at this...look at that...they need an drilling rig crew to come out and shoe them how to fucking work...and that fuckhead with the big mustache is a dumbass! These fuckers don't even know proper hand signals for operating and working around heavy equipment. they try shouting and then get pissed when no one hears them over the roar of a diesel engine...crane hand signals would save them much frustration...they could have been looking for another place for next year by now if they weren't fucking around... they also need another two men to run the wash plant at night and plenty of lights hung high...

bingo

N

Nondual

I read they valued that gold heist in Yreka at only about $620,000. Don't know why they originally said 3 mil and it was insured.

nvthis

From around Butte County..

Butte county has a very rich gold history. There will always be gold here for the casual prospector. I haven't been sluicing in about 2 years, so not sure how they are policing would be miners these days...

Some gold from the ol' sluice box..

picture.php

picture.php

A little chunk of platinum from the Butte Creek area..

picture.php

Some garnets found in the sluice from the feather river..

picture.php

Running a sluice box can be much more productive then panning in a lot of situations. But make NO mistake... It can be some back breaking work. If I go out, my goal is a minimum of 10 5gal buckets of material. That don;t sound like much, but heres the catch... First, you have to find the right dirt. Keep in mind all the 'easy' dirt is gone, so the right dirt can be a challenge all on it's own.. Then,you can't just put it in the bucket. You have to use a grizzly. That is a type of screen that only allows a certain size of material into the buckets. That means friggin hours of being bent over, shaking a bucket of gravel. Ugh... And every shovel full of material that passes through the grizzly equals about 3 to 4 shovel fulls out of the ground. Rocks can take up a lot of space and that means lots and lots of digging in the fucked up 'right dirt' spot... Then, you have to babysit that material through the sluice box. Yup, no just dumping it in. When you watch the shows and those dudes are doing the clean out, notice how they scoop just a bit of the concentrate through at a time? That equals hours of being bent over your sluice, feeding in material little bits at a time. Needless for me to tell you.. Sluicing demands a strong back, 'cause you are definitley gonna feel it at the end of the day.. Just remember.. 10 bucket minimum.. But a good day is over 20 ;)

Not that it is all bad... Nothing like smokin' your fave doob and being out at the river all day and ending up coming home with some shiny stuff.. That's just as good as it gets!

nvthis

My buddy told me there's lots of garnets in that area. He's never mentioned platinum before...cool!

Hey ND.. Yeah man, I usually don't even bother with them..

Platinum can be associated with serpentine, and god knows we got a lot of that around... However, I don't know that that is where this piece originated. It had no host material attached... :(

One day this summer, when you are down from the north, hit me up and we'll hit the river for a day ;)

I

Iron_Lion

I had no idea the old man from Gold Rush Alaska was a Morphine addict.

GLOOOORY HOLE!

He did a good job fuctioning while being doped up 24-7. Doesn't take much to become an addict, just get a script and learn to like it.

I cant believe those idiots worked for 4 months, 20+ hours a day and went home with a measly $8000 worth of gold each, whats that like a dollar per hour, I think they could have made more pan handling.

Then on top of their great score they ruin a $60k dozer, so their real earning were just about 0, for the second year.

B

BrnCow

Someone needs to drag me away from that Keene Engineering catalog...I want that big yellow Nessie rig...

nvthis

I cant believe those idiots worked for 4 months, 20+ hours a day and went home with a measly $8000 worth of gold each, whats that like a dollar per hour, I think they could have made more pan handling.

Then on top of their great score they ruin a $60k dozer, so their real earning were just about 0, for the second year.

Oh no, dude... These guys are tv stars.. They walked out with WAY more than a tiny vial of gold on this one... Had they not had tv money, there would never had been a season two. They spent all last winter flying around in helicopters and renting snowmobiles looking for a second mine and buying dozers and crazy ass pumps after going bust last season?. Then get kicked off their claim and magically find a new one and just keep going?. Yeah, that whole 'going broke' shit is just an act for these guys.. Who knows what kind of deal they got worked out for themselves, but those cameras aren't following them around for free ;)

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They seemed pretty happy with their little bit of gold they got. alot of work for so little it seems, but Im sure the show paid them well. Jack mehoffman a drug addict, I would never guessed either!
I wish Parker would have found more gold, hes such a cutie....and his grand pa too!!
Have to wait till next season to see what happens next.

nvthis

They seemed pretty happy with their little bit of gold they got. alot of work for so little it seems, but Im sure the show paid them well. Jack mehoffman a drug addict, I would never guessed either!
I wish Parker would have found more gold, hes such a cutie....and his grand pa too!!
Have to wait till next season to see what happens next.

Parker Snivel haha, yeah.. The grandfather is great, ain't he? They could make the whole show nothing but following that old dude around and it would still be good.. I'll bet that guy has a million great stories..

This show is all gold.. Man, they put together a good one.. When you can find something to really hate or find completely annoying about 50% of the cast, you know you got something good... It's like each camp has a totally likeable character that has to work with a bunch of a-holes, and it really works..

ronbo51

Veteran
I guess those guys are rock stars, but fuck that shit. I have worked hard all my life, and traveled far and wide to do it but no way in hell would I do what those guys have done. 5 ounces for all that work and hardship. You could by a shithole in Maine for 50K and fill a building up with lights and make that in the first run without sweating or leaving home.

ronbo51

Veteran
The old man must have gone up to Alaska with quite a pill supply to see him through for the season. How did he do that? I wonder if the show kept him supplied?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if he has strong ones like 100mg er those will last 12hrs and put your lights out. I thought the Mechanic dude was the pill taker. He had back surgery

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Heyas! :tiphat:

I'm looking to start panning in the Fairplay/Como/Breck area and am looking for someone that knows the area a bit. I have extra time on my hands and am looking to put it to good use, especially with the price of gold these days. LOL

I'm interested in any and all information and links to info repositories that would be helpful in these areas.

Anyone interested in a partner/apprentice for a short time? :D

Any and all PM's on the subject are greatly appreciated. :tiphat:

Thanks for the thread Nokuy!

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
i would bet they found 100 oz. i think jack was taking some off the top

wasnt it jack that was doing all of the gold tallying after the clean outs? i didnt think about it until that preview said he was a morphine addict. i seem to remember a couple times where he came out of that tent alone to announce the amount of gold they found.

i wouldnt want a morphine addict around anything of value

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i didnt even catch that he was a morphine addict.....

but $8k?!?!

for that much work, id be pissed if i took home $16k!!!

BTW, they each get paid $1k per episode from Discovery Channel....

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i didnt even catch that he was a morphine addict.....

but $8k?!?!

for that much work, id be pissed if i took home $16k!!!

BTW, they each get paid $1k per episode from Discovery Channel....

Are you kidding Krunch??? thats all, I thought they would have gotten paid more then that!! They need better agents!! haha

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Are you kidding Krunch??? thats all, I thought they would have gotten paid more then that!! They need better agents!! haha

nope!

the kat who quit last year, has his own website and he explains it all......

i cant believe how desperate they are for such little money. is it REALLY that bad?

Latest posts

Latest posts