What's new

GOLD PROSPECTING

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd rather grow green @ $400 per ounce than mine gold, but that's just me.
when I was a few yrs younger there was a time I'd dreamt of mining/panning gold.

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
gold is up over 900 buks a zip now

prolly gonna fetch better than green all day and legal

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
the price of gold bein what it is now a lot of prospecting formerly financially unfeasable can now be done profitably ... i thoght i heard of people actually starting to pan for gold, or something similar, tho i thought all surface gold is gone.

NOKUY

Veteran
ha no gold or even surface gold aint gone...u gotta werk for it tho.

its my next main hobby!

i have a nice sluice box i made from carpet, wood and expanded metal...hard to explain, but u work it and u pan the shit when you back home stoned.

i want a suction dredge too....they are fun and will pay themself off fast.

S

Space Ghost

well! lit's all run 2 san fransiskie and start shovelin' and a diggelin'

1) land prices

2) you can't compete with mersh gold mining productivity

3) do you have a graduate degree/PhD in geology, geomorphology ect.? (i don't)

but........ (and this is a big but!) PANNING FOR GOLD on the other hand rocks, for 3 pinches of gold dust i can get you a fresh prostitute brought in from Willtucket.

(yes, i'm high)

there is this other substance that is nearly as valuable as gold by weight.... dang what is it? it's not as dense as gold..... doesn't smell like gold.... YOU know what i'm talkin' bout... i think you have some in your closet right now....

I think commercial growers are the prospectors of our time.... They claim an area, take risks and some cash in big.

But growing for personal use is a lot like gold panning... for obvious reasons!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We can't use small portable suction dredges here :(

Depending on where you are and what is naturally produced in your area, you might find a metal detector, like a Minelab might produce better for you then panning or even sluicing.

I think there is some sort of 'set it and forget it' type underwater 'carpet' like device. You secure it to the stream bed, let the water run over it for a week, then come back and collect the carpet, bring them home and pan out the placer gold.

NOKUY

Veteran
blynx said:
We can't use small portable suction dredges here :(

Depending on where you are and what is naturally produced in your area, you might find a metal detector, like a Minelab might produce better for you then panning or even sluicing.

I think there is some sort of 'set it and forget it' type underwater 'carpet' like device. You secure it to the stream bed, let the water run over it for a week, then come back and collect the carpet, bring them home and pan out the placer gold.

yep thats a plan!

i wanna get this down.....w/ gold prices as they are its gotta be worth the effort!

thanks for the input bro!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
As a kid in Idaho, I used to go out with my stepdad and pan for gold in some of the streams. We had a 12' sluice box(2 sections) made of wood with green indoor/outdoor carpet on the bottom. We would stick that in a stream with the water rushing through it and dig dirt from under bushes and throw it in there. Anywhere you found black sand up there, you would find small deposits of gold dust. Also look for sand buildup under boulders in the stream and check for areas where the stream changed course years ago. There are lots of tricks to finding placer gold. Back when I did it, the price of gold was far,far less. We still managed to find a lot of dust and a few small nuggets. Another trick was to go to abandoned mining towns and find the building that was the general store. When you located where the counter was, you go under the bldg and dig out the dirt under where the business was located. Often gold dust, being weighed, was spilled on the floor and fell between the cracks of the floor. We got a fair amount of dust that way.

NOKUY

Veteran
Pops said:
As a kid in Idaho, I used to go out with my stepdad and pan for gold in some of the streams. We had a 12' sluice box(2 sections) made of wood with green indoor/outdoor carpet on the bottom. We would stick that in a stream with the water rushing through it and dig dirt from under bushes and throw it in there. Anywhere you found black sand up there, you would find small deposits of gold dust. Also look for sand buildup under boulders in the stream and check for areas where the stream changed course years ago. There are lots of tricks to finding placer gold. Back when I did it, the price of gold was far,far less. We still managed to find a lot of dust and a few small nuggets. Another trick was to go to abandoned mining towns and find the building that was the general store. When you located where the counter was, you go under the bldg and dig out the dirt under where the business was located. Often gold dust, being weighed, was spilled on the floor and fell between the cracks of the floor. We got a fair amount of dust that way.

exactly!

its a process, and it can be fun.

dont ever expect anything, and do your best at "the process"...youll never be disapointed.

im gonna get working on a new sluice tomorrow...i have carpet, wood, and a pretty good length of expanded metal...this will be fun and i will post pics i promise!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Even if you never get rich, you can spend a fun day outdoors instead of in front of the boob tube. You do, however, have to occasionally address stupid questions from tourists who don't know what the hell you are doing. That is why it is best to go very deep into the mountains, where stupid people don't go, unless they are lost or have a fixation about getting eaten by bears.

NOKUY

Veteran
Pops said:
Even if you never get rich, you can spend a fun day outdoors instead of in front of the boob tube. You do, however, have to occasionally address stupid questions from tourists who don't know what the hell you are doing. That is why it is best to go very deep into the mountains, where stupid people don't go, unless they are lost or have a fixation about getting eaten by bears.
sweet!

NOKUY

Veteran
flubnutz said:
the price of gold bein what it is now a lot of prospecting formerly financially unfeasable can now be done profitably ... i thoght i heard of people actually starting to pan for gold, or something similar, tho i thought all surface gold is gone.

btw...only 1% of all gold in alaska has been recovered.

thats a fact!

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Problem is that to get it, you have to freeze your ass off in spring or fall and get your ass chewed off by skeeters in the summer.

NOKUY

Veteran
they get it about half the year...hard ass work, but u dont have to deal w/ dumb ass people.

i will find and post pics and vids of it.

i bet i can quit working w/ in a few months

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I love hunting treasures, but panning is to slow for me. It is a real kick though, I prefer diamonds in Arkansas.
H

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Panning is a slow way to get gold. To really move dirt, you need a sluice box or a rocker . A sluice is so easy to make, it is the best choice. You still have to move a lot of dirt. We had thin wooden slats across the carpet to catch the small nuggets. You just take the carpet out and rinse it in a 5 gal bucket of water, and pan the dirt at the bottom of the bucket.

NOKUY

Veteran
Pops said:
Panning is a slow way to get gold. To really move dirt, you need a sluice box or a rocker . A sluice is so easy to make, it is the best choice. You still have to move a lot of dirt. We had thin wooden slats across the carpet to catch the small nuggets. You just take the carpet out and rinse it in a 5 gal bucket of water, and pan the dirt at the bottom of the bucket.

exactly.

u can let the river work the sluice if u know what yor doing...its actually realls easy..especially if u can make hash (same concept)..heavy falls.

im gonna be a gold digger b4 long

Latest posts

Latest posts