What's new

gibberellin + jasmonic acid = more trichomes?

I am unsure if exogenous application of jasmonates are systemic, but I assume so. Plants will release jasmonates (as MeJA IIRC) if 'under attack', which 'warns' other plants. That in turn will set off a chain reaction in the second plant.
could this cause problems in a perpetual harvest setup ?

dizzlekush

For the purposes of testing, would a plant translocate the JAZ if sprayed on only one brach and affect the entire plant? Or would it only primarily affect the cells that actually come in contact. My understanding is that MJ can take the form as vapor? and could it possibly even affect neighbors?

i have to second this concern. it seems if plants convert any exogenous JA into MeJA that MeJA would affect surrounding plants, skewing any test/results. normally a positive, for testing a negative. so much for a control group...

D

DonkDBZ

i have to second this concern. it seems if plants convert any exogenous JA into MeJA that MeJA would affect surrounding plants, skewing any test/results. normally a positive, for testing a negative. so much for a control group...

you don't need a control group just need to dial in dosage and timing per your strain

dizzlekush

you don't need a control group just need to dial in dosage and timing per your strain

@DonkDBZ what was the % of Methyl Dihydrojasmonate in your JAZ product? and what was the dosage? i understand you did half strength but what was the recommended dosage? thanks for posting your pics/results for us to see.

dizzlekush

well gee, thanks for not getting bogged down in the details there. ill go ahead and guess its the same as mine (although hey have changed the dosage at least once before) with 3.2% MDHJ w/w with recommended dosage at 2.5 tsp/g or 3.3ml/l which breaks down to approx. 107ppm MDHJ, making your dosage right around 55ppm MDHJ.

O

Ophis

It seems to me,that the two contrary theories about THC production evolution,at the cannabis plant,share common ground...
There is the theory of U.V.b. radiation and the theory of insect defend mechanisms...(Insects do not have an endocannabinoid neurotransmitter system,so THC and other cannabinoids probably,are highly toxic to insects...)

Hey!Wait a minute... Most insects see in the Ultra-Violet Spectrum...
More U.V.? Hmmm...Probably more insects,around ,uh?....
Plants seem to 'think" of that.....

http://books.google.gr/books?id=DCh...&resnum=6&ved=0CGEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/152/2/1084.full

http://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/9/1077.full

These effects of natural UV-B on plant quality appear to be mediated by activation of signaling circuits in which the defense-related hormone JA plays a functional role.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/20445973

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/AGR/IND44201377/reload=0;jsessionid=2C5C8C43A6CB1295A7E39CC6BF8394CC

http://www.intechopen.com/articles/...-in-plant-cell-cultures-elicited-with-cyclode
................................................................................................................

S#!t...No SA with MeJA?

My nutes for flowering are mainly Miller Sugar Express 4-10-40 and sparingly Miller Nutrient Express 4-41-27..[with some added CaO/MgSo4/blackstrap molasses.. in black peat/perlite soilless mix.]
Which amongst others (vitamins,aminoacids,betaines,carbonhydrates..) both they contain ASA...
AcetyloSalicic Acid.....
Also,my vegging fertiliser (Miller Nutrient Express 18-18-18) contains A.S.A.....
But,up to now they have "worked" trully wonders..Every grow, at the 1+ gr/Watt "area"...
Pretty good, for a "mere" peat/perlite soilless mix...

The photos is from a previous grow with a bit of overdoing it with the Millers..
(2 x White Russian,2 weeks before harvest with an average height of 80cm(2'7"),400 Watt GreenPower.)

p6153589.jpg

p6153590.jpg

Anyway,I'm thinking instead of spraying the plants with MeJA,to veg them with a M.H lamp like Philips HPI-T plus.

(U.V Index 12 at 20cm!!!Much more UVb than any reptile CFL or FL tube.
Gets even more if you cut off a "window"of bulb's outer glass-facing to plants-,with a Dremmel and a diamond disc...)

..And keep it until the end of 3rd week of flowering for added production of MeJA..

Then I'm going to throw the Philips Greenpower,until harvest for "filling up" the buds...

Greetings from Europe...:tiphat:

dizzlekush

@Ophis thanks for the links, looks like Spurr might have been right about UV-b and increasing THC production by increasing trichome density... i have seen a study that said that MeJA did not effect THC levels in marijuana though.... so there might be more to UV-b that JA (and hopefully JMT) production.

Y

YosemiteSam

Ophis...can I ask when you switch from your veg formula to your flower formula? I am specifically interested to see if you wait until stretch is done before dropping the N so drastically.

Plus a couple of other questions: a) do you do anything to protect yourself, your eyes from the uv b given off by the light you speak of b) i see no Ca in the Miller nutes, do you lime that peat, how do you add CaO and how much c) you talked about Co in another thread, do you add any to that mix

O

Ophis

Ophis...can I ask when you switch from your veg formula to your flower formula? I am specifically interested to see if you wait until stretch is done before dropping the N so drastically.

Gladly,I will explain the whole formula

Before I plant the seeds(I'm a seed lover...)I feed some 4-41-27 at the mix(usually at 0.2-0.4 ms/cm),where the 4% N comes totally from Urea...

For the whole first week of vegging I use only Maxicrop(10ml/liter) and some Epsom Salt.
At the second and third week of vegging I use the 18-18-18 still with some extra Epsom.
At the last week(4th) of veg I use again 4-41-27.

When i change to 12/12 I start the 4-10-40 up to the 3rd week of flowering,with a bit of CaO/MgO ( derived from a sea weed) now and then(when the pH of the medium drops below 5,5 or so...).
At fourth week I give a rich dose of 18-18-18.
Weeks 5 and 6 ,again 4-10-40 together with raising the medium pH with Ca,to 6,5 or so...

After that only Distilled or fresh mountain spring water(I get it,easy..) with every second watering adding molasses(1tspn/gallon).Usually,I dont flush.
(My ash is always white-whitey and the smoke really mellow...)

This is my feeding rule:

guidet.jpg

O

Ophis

Plus a couple of other questions: a) do you do anything to protect yourself, your eyes from the uv b given off by the light you speak of b) i see no Ca in the Miller nutes, do you lime that peat, how do you add CaO and how much c) you talked about Co in another thread, do you add any to that mix

Very good questions!
Well...
a) I did that once,it is very dangerous in general,plus you need cat. 4 sunglasses and clothing(specially gloves..) with a spf over 100..(I'm into D.I.Y lasers,so I have an experience with harmfull radiation,plus the protection equip needed...).It's my mistake.I forgot to mention that I don't suggest anyone doing it..:redface:.Anyway, the U.V. reaches to unearthy levels,probably harmfull to the plants ,also...Although,I never had noticed a sign of stress,at that time,then...

b)Yes.Millers are supposed to be administrated via foliar-feeding..
They can't contain Ca...
I supply Ca from fossilised sea weed..At the range of 200-400ppm,every now and then..
It helps adjusting my medium pH..
Black peat tends to be acidic over time..Not like white/blonde,but it does,to a lesser extend..
I put some also in the mix before planting...

c)Yes.After I perform topping(during 2nd week of vegging,usually..) until the 6th week of flowering,I administrate once a week (after feeding day)3ml/liter of a combination of vitamins(B-1,B-6,B-12).Actually,it is an injectable form (intramuscular) of vitamins ,intended for human use...3ml/vial...(One 3ml vial contains:100mg B1,100mg B6 and 1mg B-12 ,which contains Cobalt)
In fact,a 3 ml vial of the vitamin mix,into 1 liter of water,contains
0.0435 ppm Cobalt..(I skip the compilicated organic formula analysis and molecular weights calculations needed to get to the upper result..)
:tiphat:

Last edited:
Y

YosemiteSam

How do you measure the pH of your medium?

Got a link to the fossilized sea kelp?

Good info...very interesting approach.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Just recently finished using Jaz Rose Spray on some super stressed plants in early flowering....after 3 applications every 3 days apart...my ladies are looking insane again....much easier to see the results with plants that are hurting ...

UVB Bulbs..... These are my fav...these are the best on the market...Aqualine 10K Check out the study.... Gojo/Spurr we grinded on this UVB topic hard couple years back

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sbj4/aquarium/articles/MetalHalideLamps1.htm

O

Ophis

How do you measure the pH of your medium?

Got a link to the fossilized sea kelp?

Good info...very interesting approach.

I used to let to drain about 10% of the administrated volume,of distilled water...(I always measured the water also, because as hypotonic, it tends to attract CO2 from air,turns it into H2CO3 and the water becomes slightly acidic...)I never was so "mad" with the pH..Just as long I stay to the maximum"10 times more or less acidic"(1 pH unit difference) range..That is from 5,5 to 6,5..

Nowdays I never measure the pH.It is something,that I rarely, fail to keep right...(I know my ferts and my medium,very well,I believe..)
It's more like a ..feeling..
I can almost "sense"(knowing the background "history" of my feeding routine..)when it needs to be raised a bit....
I don't know how to explain it better...
You must think that I'm nuts,by now...
:tiphat:

The link to the Ca..
http://int.dcm-info.com/product/380/dcm-green-lime

Latest posts

Latest posts