What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?

knuckles

Veteran
I just ordered a 630w,cmh de fixture, from a Canadian lighting company...I'll update when I have it in operation.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anybody done a 630 cmh side by side with a 1000 gavita for weight comparison? I got 2 gavita de's but if I could pull the same yield or even give or take 50 grams then it would be worth it to me for the lower heat n electricity...

Easy7

Veteran
Growers choice has the goods. Triple 315 de lamps. Just wish these higher lamp ballast dialed down. Veg is the most costly when plant limits prevent sog. Being sucked into expensive wattage in veg with a thin canopy that is not utilizing most photons feels bad. Growers choice offering de cmh that has one lamp is a break thru. If only they offered de cmh with dial.

srich250

CMH 630 DE comparison tests

CMH 630 DE comparison tests

Well I posted quite a few times in this thread and I finally am getting time to play on icmag instead of just researching and learning.

I had two fouls grows with a combination of :
Cmh 630 DE
1000 HPS DE
600 HPS
FLUENCE SPYDRx 1200

The 630 and the Fluence took the crown by far.
I was blown away with the yield from the 630's. I ran 4. 3 closed ac/de hoods and one without the glass.

The yield with 4 plants taking up 43"x48" was bomb. The second highest yield I've had with this Blueberry Skunk and a Mind Punch we developed.
Yield was - 34oz and one of the 12oz bob skunks did not have one gram of larf. That's been one of my goals for 5yrs. To develop a plant under certain conditions that had a high yield without larf and top shelf and A grade bud. The other bb skunk was 11 oz and the other 9 oz was from that auto cross mind punch's that we smaller plants. But still that's over 2lbs with one 630.

I don't even always get two lbs with my all my DE 1000's. Depends how many mistakes I make and if I go organic or not.

I will try to post a couple pics of final by and I think one is from flowering and shows the 6"x6" scrog also.

I run perpetual never ending grows so I will try and update as these next ones continue on the new run just flowered 3 weeks ago

Attachments

• IMG_9223.JPG
    IMG_9223.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9226.JPG
    IMG_9226.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 17
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 14

knuckles

Veteran
Here is a pic of the fixture mounted to the ceiling...it is dimmable 300,400,630,700w.

Attachments

• IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15

Easy7

Veteran
What watts at the wall are you getting with this fixture/ballast?

Read these are made after ordering. Could be big bucks for manufacturers to have different sized cmh and de with dial wattage ballasts.

Thats the thing I liked about some LED. The ability to not pay more for veg or a light only to veg before flowering. Dial down has some benifits. Who knows if cmh dials down while maintaining quality spectrum?

gh0stm0de

This company makes nondimmable, dial, and ir remote options. Ir also allows for 0~10v dimmer use. Up to 50 ballasts can be controlled by one dimmer.

Watts to wall is 670 @ 630w setting which means 40w dissipation

Dimming should not impact spectrum at least when driven by their low frequency square wave ballast.

Some growers use 4000/4200k bulb for entire cycle not just veg.

Thanks to all of you sharing your CMH experiences.

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Well I posted quite a few times in this thread and I finally am getting time to play on icmag instead of just researching and learning.

I had two fouls grows with a combination of :
Cmh 630 DE
1000 HPS DE
600 HPS
FLUENCE SPYDRx 1200

The 630 and the Fluence took the crown by far.
I was blown away with the yield from the 630's. I ran 4. 3 closed ac/de hoods and one without the glass.

The yield with 4 plants taking up 43"x48" was bomb. The second highest yield I've had with this Blueberry Skunk and a Mind Punch we developed.
Yield was - 34oz and one of the 12oz bob skunks did not have one gram of larf. That's been one of my goals for 5yrs. To develop a plant under certain conditions that had a high yield without larf and top shelf and A grade bud. The other bb skunk was 11 oz and the other 9 oz was from that auto cross mind punch's that we smaller plants. But still that's over 2lbs with one 630.

I don't even always get two lbs with my all my DE 1000's. Depends how many mistakes I make and if I go organic or not.

I will try to post a couple pics of final by and I think one is from flowering and shows the 6"x6" scrog also.

I run perpetual never ending grows so I will try and update as these next ones continue on the new run just flowered 3 weeks ago

Thats dope! What bulb were u using?

Easy7

Veteran
Growers choice will no longer be selling the de 630s. They are phasing out with twin 315s that dial down. Wish they kept the de 630s but wit a dial down feature.

Cheaper veg is most important to me at this point. A canopy not filled out will not absorb max par.

onavelzy

Veteran
Growers choice will no longer be selling the de 630s. They are phasing out with twin 315s that dial down. Wish they kept the de 630s but wit a dial down feature.

Cheaper veg is most important to me at this point. A canopy not filled out will not absorb max par.

the bulbs? i was at their site a week ago i think and didn't see the fixtures listed any more

Easy7

Veteran
Not sure about the de lamps. The fixtures are done now for sure, de cmh fixtures. Don't know why. Would be great if they had those 630 de dial down. Seems running twin 315 in a fixture is more open to one lamp not working than a single de to mess with.

Inquired into whole sale. 250 a fixture when purchasing a pallet of 50 and 500 a fixture of the 630 pallet of 50. Not much better, if any, than growers house. They must buy a lot of pallets of lights.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Not sure about the de lamps. The fixtures are done now for sure, de cmh fixtures. Don't know why. Would be great if they had those 630 de dial down. Seems running twin 315 in a fixture is more open to one lamp not working than a single de to mess with.

Inquired into whole sale. 250 a fixture when purchasing a pallet of 50 and 500 a fixture of the 630 pallet of 50. Not much better, if any, than growers house. They must buy a lot of pallets of lights.

For me, being able to run one lamp if the other system should fail is a feature, not a bug. I only run one fixture. I wouldn't have to fix it yesterday, ya know?

I'm sure it changes as a grower scales up.

Easy7

Veteran
More parts = more to go wrong.

If I buy a 630 I am not planning on 315 flower power.

One reason I like outdoor is less goes wrong.

Easy7

Veteran
I want full power as soon as the light goes 12/12, thru harvest. Could be the only hope between shutting down for summer a/c season and having enough or just going more costly having another go during summer.

No powerball winner here ya know.

knuckles

Veteran
Knuckles, how do you feel about heat? Im wondering if you could lower the light some?

I'd imagine it's very similar to 600w it replaced,as far as heat it produces, as they are almost equal in wattage.yes I need some pulleys to lower my light..lol