What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I just got my master controller for the gavitas. Talkin to dude at geowers house he said the gavitas turned to 630 would probly be best option short of getting an actual 630 fixture from them. This run will be under 2 630s, bunch of different strains, then when I monocrop next run thinkin bout doin side by side with 630 n gavita turnt to 1000.

positivity

Veteran
I just got my master controller for the gavitas. Talkin to dude at geowers house he said the gavitas turned to 630 would probly be best option short of getting an actual 630 fixture from them. This run will be under 2 630s, bunch of different strains, then when I monocrop next run thinkin bout doin side by side with 630 n gavita turnt to 1000.

I'd humbly suggest using the protective sleeve over the 630 lamp if you don't already have it. Best be safe if running out of normal spec. Looks like GH has it in stock for not too much $

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I'd humbly suggest using the protective sleeve over the 630 lamp if you don't already have it. Best be safe if running out of normal spec. Looks like GH has it in stock for not too much $

Yep I got 1 for each light. I asked dude at grower house about that too n he said it wasnt needed when the gavita is turnt to 630 but like u said, Id rather be safe than sorry! Plus I seen what happened to hammer, n that actually coulda been a lot worse. I just fired it up, these things is dumbass bright!

I've got a little experience with the CMH 630w. About half way through my first blooms and these lights are no joke. For the wattage you are using, they do a phenomenal job. Check out the c99 grow in my signature to see how they are performing for me.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i have been trying to make this decision for a couple weeks since i found out gc cant offer their 630w de anymore. which i learned is because they were getting the ballast and hood from two different manufacturers and one (or both?) the mfg co said we dont like that your not buying everything from us. you are cut off we will not provide you with (hood/ballast) anymore... aint that some trifling cat shit!?!
so ive been worried about when the new gc gear will come out but now i dont care because the 1000+w ballast they are releasing isnt square wave / low freq.

anyway im just going to try and buy some 630 de units off ebay (literally JUST decided to check there, im such a stoner dummy sometimes) i hope they are still available when i have some $ because i still want a square wave low freq ballast pushing my 630w bulbs.

Bullet1Grows

Throwing in my $$$ worth about the 630w.
I was looking at the GC 630 and was told they were getting in the true DE 630 cmh. Waited and waited but what I was getting feedback on was a little sketchy. Like if everything was coming from the same build source, LF Sq wave ballast verses a 1000w ballast dialed down.
Finally got with my local Hydro shop, did a lot of research and found a factory that made both in house. 10 lights was the min order so plopped down a deposit and put the order in. They have just arrived (took 20 days). They are a true DE 630w cmh. They are run by a LF Sq wave ballast, dimmable from 300-670w with remote, 240v. Only thing I don't care for is they are not daisy chainable.
They cost 17% more than Gavita Pro DE 1000w but will save me 27% more on electricity. This is a game changer. Seen plenty of test against the 1000 waters and always cost was the holdback. Now cost is not the holdback and if anyone is interested in where to get them please hit my dm up and be happy to share.

ambertrichome

Veteran
Disregarding cost, how about a 300w Plasma light??

I'm going to use 1 with each 1000w Gavita eventually. I just bought the 2 Gavitas, and am also interested in the Plasma lighting combination. At 3ft the Gavita Plasma will do a 4 x 4 area.

I'm also interested in using these in Veg.

Bullet1Grows

@digging these lights are from a company in China. Ebom Lighting. Google EBM Lighting and it'll come up. 630 w DE cmh
Got them through Growtopia Hydroponics.

mcnasty

I have 2 growers choice 315s I got on ebay for 220 shipped each. The ones with the external ballast. I love em. I have em in a 4x4 tent with the 3kr bulb. That 3kr bulbs spectrum is sick I dunno why anyone would use any other 315 bulb for flower. I'm harvesting a 3x3 flood and drain here in like a week, its looking good.

gh0stm0de

Regarding "which is better". 2x 315 offers slightly better coverage area. 630 de offers better light penetration.

Right tool for every job. For smaller plants, veg, or sog applications having 2 light sources from 2x 315 may work out better. For larger plants, 630 de will yield better results.

wich is better?

dual 315 cmh or 630 DE cmh?

for 630 DE cmh wich is the optimal distance from the canopy?

Thank you

Depending on the hood you are running and how much your plant likes intense light, 18" to 24" is close as I recommend going. Like any other DE light source, they are quite intense. They are designed to be higher over the canopy with a good footprint for a single light source.

Yeild wise with a less than ideal grow I pulled right around 1.25 pounds off of 4 plants with one 630w DE cmh running at 700w. This was with 4 sativa dominant plants and they all finished between 7 to 8 weeks. So needless to say I'm happy with my DE cmh. Oh and these lights are awesome for vegging with. DE cmh gets my vote. I'll answer any questions y'all may have.