What's new

Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?

Jhhnn

Veteran
To anyone looking to get into a DE cmh fixture cheaper than the growers house one, search
bmcarter42 on ebay.It seems he's a distributor for ebm lighting in china. I picked one up for 330usd shipping included for the fixture, remote,hangers, and extra bulb.Received it in 3days from Hong Kong to the east coast.
I think this is the same one hammerhead described earlier in this thread.

Anyone know if it's safe to run these bulbs open with the proper fixture? Or should I wait for the bulb shield from gh to show up?

I don't think they'd sell the bulb shields if they weren't required in open fixtures...

Open lamps are always a hazard, even the double walled 315's. Those bitches are hot, & not in a good way.

gh0stm0de

Sunspectra de cmh?

Sunspectra de cmh?

Anyone got experience or insight? Looking into going 630 de on next room, and i like growers choice super red de bulbs (on paper) but the only 630 de ballast i can find is by sunspectra. Idk a thing about them. I want to run ac de hoods and dont want to compromise with a high frequency ballast, is sun spectra our only choice?

onavelzy

Veteran
Anyone got experience or insight? Looking into going 630 de on next room, and i like growers choice super red de bulbs (on paper) but the only 630 de ballast i can find is by sunspectra. Idk a thing about them. I want to run ac de hoods and dont want to compromise with a high frequency ballast, is sun spectra our only choice?

Grower's choice has a ballast/fixture. Not sure if you have a hydro store nearby. If so, ask them to order one for you. If not, you could contact one of the ones with established internet business, like hydrogalaxy or some of the others. I got my tent that way.

I got the fixture, bulb and bulb safety sheath for $500. I know others have done much better than that.

I'll send you a pm.

Ona

gh0stm0de

I spoke to Justin at growers choice and they do not sell the ballast seperately. As i stated, i will be running sun systems ac de hoods for air cooling, so this means a ballast hood fixture that isnt air cooled is all the way out for me.

So, who else sells a 630 cmh de ballast?

Thx for replying but i want the ballast seperately, i have no use for hoods not air cooled.

I do most of my ordering from plantlightinghydroponics online unless its urgent or saves me nothing vs in store.

positivity

Veteran
I spoke to Justin at growers choice and they do not sell the ballast seperately. As i stated, i will be running sun systems ac de hoods for air cooling, so this means a ballast hood fixture that isnt air cooled is all the way out for me.

Thx for replying but i want the ballast seperately, i have no use for hoods not air cooled.

I do most of my ordering from plantlightinghydroponics online unless its urgent or saves me nothing vs in store.

google alibaba em 630 cmh...

the 315w version was $80. Buy 2 or more to distribute the shipping costs and bring total cost per ballast price down.

ex. 1 for $80 + 40 shipping = $120 per ballast

2 for $80 + 40 shipping = $100 per ballast

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran

Sorry, I didn't catch that part. Best of luch with your search.

Ona

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran

All de compatible ballast are listed on the 630 de bulbs page at growers house

Kush09

I was also considering the sun spectra 630 DE CMH ballast so that I may use the sun system air cooled DE hood. I do not know of another seperate low frequency square wave DE CMH ballast. Did you end up purchasing the sun spectra ballast? Anyone else have any thoughts on this ballast?

positivity

Veteran
I was also considering the sun spectra 630 DE CMH ballast so that I may use the sun system air cooled DE hood. I do not know of another seperate low frequency square wave DE CMH ballast. Did you end up purchasing the sun spectra ballast? Anyone else have any thoughts on this ballast?

Sunspectra is the same as the stuff on alibaba last I remember
Got mine for around a hundred bucks. How much is the sun spectra?

Kush09

All de compatible ballast are listed on the 630 de bulbs page at growers house

They list the Prism Science DE 1000W and Galaxy DE 1000W which are then dimmed to 600W as compatible with the 630 de cmh bulb.

It is my understanding that this will not produce the optimum results from the bulb. :dunno:

Also, neither of those ballast have the low frequency square wave technology which is ideal for CMH bulbs in my understanding. :dunno:

If you look at the all-in-one growers choice 630 de cmh fixture, they list the low frequency square wave technology as a feature of the included ballast.

Kush09

Sunspectra is the same as the stuff on alibaba last I remember
Got mine for around a hundred bucks. How much is the sun spectra?

The SunSpectra is $279. It has the low frequency square wave technology which was designed for use with DE CMH bulbs

tcat74

I'm using the growers choice 630 with the ac/de fixture and solis tech ballast set at 600. Growers choice came out with another DE bulb with more red, cmh 3k-R. I have been using the cmh 3k for a year now and it works great! I just started a GSC flower with the 3K-R. Will see how much difference there is between the two.

gh0stm0de

Very interesting, thanks for deciding to register and come share.

Just curious, did you run same cut with your 3k?

Did you take measurements when you got light and replaced bulb to check degradation? I am going to be doing direct comparison in july with low frequency square wave vs typical high frequency to try to determine if the actual output is truly affected or just longevity.

Thanks for sharing

gh0stm0de

So youre saying after a year of operation the par meter read the same as when you first installed the bulb?

If so thats fairly impressive and maybe even anomalous.

Nothing wrong with using a par meter I actually think its a great move. Which par meter do you prefer?
picture.php

Here is a decay chart for MY CMH bulbs when powered by high frequency ballasts. 5%>20000hrs on my low frequency square wave though.

I am of course very impressed that you found a bulb that doesn't decay over a year of use !! Must be an industry first?

Last edited:

tcat74

I have a sun system par meter. The growers choice 630 is fairly new on the market. Check their website for specs.

gh0stm0de

Ive been familiar with their specs a while now but don't own their gear. Sun puts out a solid meter. I use hydrofarm quantum par meter. So how far from your 630 bulb to canopy? What par do you read at canopy level? Thanks for your feedback im surprised we dont have more people chiming in. De cmh seems like one of best options out there. Gettin rdy to test myself this week but very curious to determine if high frequency affects output.

SFGiant121

XrossGro

XrossGro

hello everyone!! first time on here, I see alot of people commenting on lights.... ive been growing for a while now. But I need help with something..... Maybe ya'll can help? A buddy of mine got some sick ass lights!!! when i mean sick I mean DOPE!!! IVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE AT ALL , MUCH LESS ANYWHERE!!! He told me he purchased it from a company by the name of XrossGro. Has anyone heard of the before!? My friend told me they are a start up company in San Francisco.... im guessing they are working on their website, cause from what i know its only instagram... He got a630W with LED Combo of 320W LEDs..... Like i said i have never seen anything like this... I was hoping you guys can help me with this one?
XrossGro has anyone heard of them?