What's new

The Real History Of Northern Lights, Written By The Guys Who Did It

kro-magnon

Veteran
a year or two ago I FINALLY grew out old dr atomic nl’s f2 I was given 20years ago..

they were some of the most unremarkable wlds [ok the MOST unremarkable]

and

yes some hermied..colour me disappointed..

grew out various SSB nl f1’s in 1989..they were remarkable

after hearing the dr atomic talk for almost 20 years.

.it was a historic bring down
This F2 was Dr Atomic's work or a repro done by someone who bought a pack ?

Rgd

Veteran
This F2 was Dr Atomic's work or a repro done by someone who bought a pack ?
and please don't let this review stop you from looking in dr atomics seeds

sure i was disappointed but the talk way back when was that he had good ones

also I cannot see that he could have made f1’s to begin with

didn't everyone get f1’s from the original breeders..

it was labelled "dr atomic f2’s.."

were they dr atomic f2’s grown out and seeds made from them I don't know?

again:

don't let this review stop you from looking in dr atomics seeds

Rgd

Veteran
I understand how frustrating it can be when seeds don't deliver what you were expecting from them but is it fair to judge someone work when the seeds were not done by this person ?
yes and 1989 sensi seed bank nl’s were awesome

kro-magnon

Veteran
I'm not specially invested in Dr Atomic's seeds, it's just something interesting to ask, does the selection made by the maker of the f2 can alter the general quality of the seed line, I mean maybe it was poor choice of plants for creating those seeds. Multiplying the seeds from someone does not guarantee to keep the same level of quality, don't you think?

Dime

More NL it's the same seed stock as my last post. It finishes in S Ontario and doesn't require any babysitting.

Attachments

• cid_993.jpg
    cid_993.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190928_081820_HDR.jpg
    20190928_081820_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190928_081850.jpg
    20190928_081850.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20201217_213536 (4).jpg
    20201217_213536 (4).jpg
    904.3 KB · Views: 26

CharlesU Farley

no i dont think either party does any or has done any advertising on this forum ,
to my knowledge anyhow ,
I guess in any comments that relate to others , their business , they way they conduct themselves, or how full of feces they are ,
the rules here likely just state you be tactful on how you announce your dislike or distaste of their business ethics or lack of, and dont be too defamatory or inflammatory , argumentative , or combative,
(i say likely re rules because ive never actually sat down and read them , lol )
i havent seen any evidence of any of those things in what ive read ,
and i know other mods have read this also , so as far as i know you are in the clear and may carry on ...

Folks dont have to agree with each other all the time , or even like each other , they are able to state this also on forums , and speak their mind ,
as i said this forum encourages free speech ,
as long as everyone respects one another , and we dont end up with folks slinging feces at one another ..

i had a giggle reading that link u provided earlier to the other forum where someone questioned if eb was in fact sam skunkman , now that really shows you how out of touch some of them are ,, i mean seriously ...
I will be respectful of all involved, stick to the facts, use photographic evidence, old forum posts and old website data from archive.org.

If I step out of line, let my passions get the best of me and make it personal instead of factual, call my ass out on it and tell me to stop!

And you're right, it has been an absolute hoot to read through 10+ year old posts, just to view the conspiratorial chatter concerning all the major personalities involved.

I don't know how active a poster Sam was here on ICM during my "lost decade", but if it's anything like Nevil's over on Mr Nice, there is _still_ vital cannabis info that can be mined and put to use today. Seeing Neville and Tom Hill vigorously debate their side of an opinion, disagreeing without being disagreeable, was a thing of beauty to read.

EB = Sam, JeSSe = Shanti, Hempy = Neville... the sock puppet accusations are some of the most humorous to read, 15 years down range. 😂

CharlesU Farley

Doc Atomic.... One of the first times I ever smoked as a teenager in Northern California, we were given an 1/8th of a strain I can't recall, but remember it was bread by a "Doc Atomic". I think it may have been a NL or Blueberry, possibly a cross of either. Man, we had no clue how little you needed to smoke when you had proper weed, think we smoked like half that 1/8th through a bong made using an old apple juice bottle. I do, kind of, recall getting lost on my way home from my friends place and he only lived in the next housing complex over from mine. I also recall it being the first time I ever watched something, it was a skate video, and I could not for the life of me, put together the events going on on that screen, was just things moving around.

It's strange you don't see a lot of mention of Doc Atomic these days, even with the trendr revival of old school breeders/ seed lines.
I can't pull out the exact quote now, (y'all have no earthly idea how many individual posts I've had to cut and paste) but I believe Doc Atomic was the only version of NL Neville even acknowledged existed in his discussions on Mr Nice.

But I can't remember the exact quote right now.:(

geneva_sativa

yes and 1989 sensi seed bank nl’s were awesome
I think that a lot of folks that never got to grow or sample from that stock of seeds find it hard to believe how " on another level " it really was.

Had NL from those good years, a batch of flower, with a solid 6 hour high.
and the famous skunk that neighbors ran from mid 1980's thru 1995, that not only could you smell that skunk smell faaaaaaaaaaaar away, had a slamming high to go along with it

CharlesU Farley

wanted them to be like what I remember
And that really is at the heart of this matter. Almost everybody has very fond memories of a specific time/place where they consumed a specific "brand" of cannabis and all the stars aligned and it was just a outstanding experience. And quite naturally they want to recreate it.

That was my experience with Northern Lights and why I'm so passionate about this specific combination of disparate cannabis plants. They were initially combined by someone who suffered severe PTSD, then refined and standardized by someone who knew what he was doing and understood the original purpose this hybrid was created for.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a few questions for the NL experts:
1) what's the male in Sensi's G13 x Hashplant?
HP x NL1 or HP x NL2?
Was the F1 backcrossed to the HP cut?

2) are the ABG13 and PG13 the same cut (or seedline) ?

3) In terms of.GCA, how do you compare Skunk1 vs. NL?

Thx :)

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Got a few questions for the NL experts:
1) what's the male in Sensi's G13 x Hashplant?
HP x NL1 or HP x NL2?
Was the F1 backcrossed to the HP cut?

2) are the ABG13 and PG13 the same cut (or seedline) ?

3) In terms of.GCA, how do you compare Skunk1 vs. NL?

Thx :)
Now that's some serious "down in the dirt" data acquisition desire ya got there!!

Can't help you out on your questions, as my focus has strictly been NL and what went into creating _it_. That being said, I did a quick search of the archives I've been working on and here's the only comments I can find directly from Neville that may provide some additional info that maybe you don't have?

And I most certainly to the fuck am _not_ qualified to "edit" Nevil but quoting the whole damn posts will create a Wall of Words nobody will want to plow through, maybe even you? ;)

Nevil
Breeder
Nov 6, 2010
Add bookmark
I did a series of back crosses with NL5, HP and G13. I did this because I didn't have siblings to use. NL5 was a sport. The brothers couldn't deliver.
I used a Ruderalis for the NL5, picking the male carrying the R factor, which gave pollen at the fourth internode. Four generations a year. The 5th generation, ulimately was the best. I should have gone brother to sister at that point, but I thought it would continue to get better. I went to 8 backcrosses. What I learned was that after gen 4, the results were more dependant on the individual male, than the number of back crosses.

I used NL1 males for the HP and NL2 males for the G13. None of the back crosses ever produced a plant as good as the mother, although the NL5 came closest. Vigour was lost in all cases.
N.

Nevil
Breeder
Sep 14, 2010
Add bookmark
".....Jim Ortega is around and can speak for himself if he chooses. I get the feeling that he has spoken before and few listened.

The Afghan/hash plant is probably HPxNL1. Not a great yielder but gee it was strong.
N."

Nevil
Breeder
Jan 13, 2011
Add bookmark
"...seed size/shape and phenotype expression of a plant from it
I had a line of Hash Plant x NL1, it had huge almost round walnut shaped seeds. I focussed on this trait for a while. The plants were extreme indica types and produced less bud each generation. A line of different siblings from the HPxNL1 cross was bred with one thing in mind. Narcotic strength. After a few generations of focussing only on that, the seeds got smaller and smaller and the yield far outperformed the large seeded line.
N."

And I'm sure you seen this but in case others haven't, Here is Sensi's genetics in graph form:

1000011928.png

Last edited:

moose eater

That long, narrow leaf structure I've never seen, except for on the Type I/Sativa variant that I identified and played around with for a little while:

View attachment 18995358

And every time I post this pic, I have to give the environmental conditions, so I don't get watering/fertilizer advice from Millennials, the temp inside the tent when this pic was taken was around 38° F and the relative humidity was 80+ percent as well.

This is the leaf structure on the standard Sensi NL that I haven't worked into a specific Type dominance:

View attachment 18995361

Here's the leaf structure on the Type II /Indica side of things:

View attachment 18995362

We've all been guilty of excessive love! 😂 But one thing Sensi's late '90s release of Northern Lights is always giving me is rock, solid stability. I've had one branch of one plant go hermie on me, and that was after a long power outage and 30° temps, with absolutely no light or heat.o_O

Hell for the next grow or two, I did every damn thing I could to try to _induce_ hermies. At the time I was still in the 2 x 5 closet, and I absolutely loved having _guaranteed_ females. Didn't work out for me, couldn't induce it to do shit. So those 20 or 30 c's were my only experience with hermies.

The closest I get to the single stalk variation is the staminate plant on the far right, in the pic above. I know in the early to mid '70s, Sensi sold NL2 as the base version of Northern Lights and then switched over to the #5 x #2 version that Nevil worked so well. It provided the stability and uniformity for multiple generations, with very little phenotypic variation.

I can definitely tell you what the #1, the so-called "purest" Indica _didn't_ look like, and that's this:

View attachment 18995367

Wrong leaf structure, it's not even indicative of a Type II/Indica _dominant_ plant.

One of my goals in life now, at least on _this_ forum, is to put this NL numbering bullshit to rest. If Nevil couldn't get and or make a seed version of #5, then _nobody_ can. The pure pistilate dominance of his #5 was so strong, he couldn't get it to induce actual pollen that he could use, except for _one_ time. And all those seeds are gone.

People hawking specific numbers of NL haven't actually worked with the plant long enough to even realize what the general phenotypes even look like.

Hope you're not sorry you asked the question. One word/sentence responses are exceedingly rare for me, and are usually comedy related.😂

Love your music and hope everything is going good for you on the medical side of things! (y)
To clarify, the Dronker's contribution on that trip was their somewhat classic 'California Indica', which from what I believe was shared of her past back then, was that she was the result of ~11 (?) strains from Cali, many of which were heavy in sativa roots, sold as stable, easy going, fairly potent, and productive (and she lived up to ALL of that).. I kept her alive for 25 years, clone-to-clone-to-clone, finally killing her last year.

The NL#5 was from a small grow shop near the city market square area in Arnhem, and the third variety from that trip was from a head shop in Arnhem (don't recall the name of the shop; I needed a pipe as I rarely use 'house pipes' -anywhere-, and I was actually mostly buying hash for the trip home for house-building that Spring), and the 3rd variety from that head shop was generically labelled as 'Nederweit Binna', or "Indoor Dutch Weed". Obviously the source wasn't hung up on glitzy labels. :)

The structure on the NL#5 was both unique and beautiful with what I'd refer to as a moderate 'clean, spring air-like' aroma, mildly minty. But I tend to keep nothing unstable, along with other criteria, such as potency, terpenes, and productivity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts