What's new

Gas is gonna go through the roof.....

M

Mr. Mountain

I do not believe anyone has brought this point up yet.

We need oil for far more than FUEL!!!

Petrochemical feedstocks are ESSENTIAL to our modern world.

They are used for MUCH MORE than most realize. From food processing to medicine to the solvents and lubricants essential for ALL INDUSTRY.

Without them the modern world collapses. Prices of everything from basic goods to the cost of drugs will skyrocket. If they are available at all...

Bottom line, It can not and will not last forever. Expect to pay much, much more.

Mr. M

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I would dare to say that natural gas is the answer.

It wouldn't take much for a gas station that has access to a natural gas pipeline (any metro area) to have a natural gas option on the pump. If most or all city(gov't) vehicles were converted and more importantly diesel engines were made with a flex fuel option for NG.

The problem with natural gas is storing it on a vehicle, but there are companies building carbon fiber tanks, and weight wouldn't be an issue for a diesel 18 wheeler.

A normal car can be made to run on NG fairly easily with a few mods and there have been companies that made vehicles with this option from the factory. (honda, saab)

ibjamming

Veteran
I watched a show on if the worlds oil would run out, we already have shit made and working. They talked about using algae. They have huge pools of water and it just grows algae and they said they are getting ready for when it runs out. It can be refined into something i forgot, this was a few months ago. But im just saying what i watched.

It was on the Discovery channel.

I appreciate your enthusiasm...but ponder this fact...

Worldwide, we use 85,085,664 bbl/day! That's 3,743,769,216 gallons per DAY! How much algae do you think you'd need to supply almost 4 BILLION gallons of oil per DAY.

OIL CAN'T BE REPLACED...get that though your heads! We need to find an alternative to WASTING it...not using it. Most things we use with oil are less than 50% efficient. We COULD cut our use by half easily. Through efficiency and conserving. But it's STILL too cheap! I'd pay $100 a gallon if it kept me from having to walk 30 miles! So would you.

I wonder if the "peak oil" is really a scarcity or just "hard to get". 35,000ft is a DEEP oil well...as deep as an average thunderstorm is tall or a jet flies. How DIS it get THAT deep? That much "erosion" covered it up? That's quite the alluvial deposit!

I

Iron_Lion

one of the main reasons is the the worlds emerging economies, namely Brazil and China....their economies are growing at a HIGH speed...they are now where we were in the 1950's with a growing middle class that is thirsting for oil, oil to feed their new cars, and heat their bigger homes and fuel their larger manufacturing buildings and factories... the price of oil is climbing because of their consumption presently and will only climb higher and faster with time... so... by 2012, less than a year, we will be lucky if gas hovers around 5.00/gall...the year after may be worse....an ex shell ceo sees this 5.00/gall price by 2012....he doesnt say why but this seems most logical as to why....

In reality we have past the peak of the bell curve in world oil production and we are now on the decline. All major reserves have been tapped and the population only continues to grow, we will be the victims of our own design. Here is some food for thought in one car tire there is 7 gallons of oil.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
This argument is crap. Wife and I started out thinking this but we ended up saving so much in terms of both commute & time by a move that we paid off the house nearly 10 years early. This is with the new jobs earning quite a bit less than the old ones to start. When you don't have a commute you can easily work overtime, you're the guy/gal that's always available and that at least in both our cases translated into raises/promotions pretty easily.

You want a compact life? You can have it. It might require better education, a change in career, or a shift in lifestyle but you can absolutely do it. I live in a small town now, on a day when they decide to actually plow I can pretty much walk or bike anywhere I need to just about any day of the year. More importantly I dropped enough weight I came off BP meds and to starve off a fake knee for a few more years.

Just because you and your wife were able to do this (congratulations by the way) it doesn't mean the point I made was crap or that everyone can match what you did. The main point is that the USA is bigger then Europe and as such the driving patterns of people in the USA is very different from that of people in Europe because the geography is very different.

mk6

well until the O zone goes we will always have AIR... no need for any other type of soon to be gone oil, or other - an yes you can get power from hydro ie. dams... people need to stop thinking that there is another fuel source and stop wasting money and resorces on b/s.
Air is free and will never run out - yes of course you need to compress n fill the tank at a cost, but useing hydro electricity from a dam is the cheapest least most polutant out there... try to wrap you mind around that - AIR... omg its free.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It confuses me how americans call petrol gas , why do they ???

when i think of gas its natural gas , not petroleum , why is it called gas in america??

bird

i thought it was bullshit when it got above 1.50. and a lot of american english is strange.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It confuses me how americans call petrol gas , why do they ???

when i think of gas its natural gas , not petroleum , why is it called gas in america??

Because Petroleum is the crude oil and not the fuel refined from it. To call gas petrol would be like calling a book "tree" since it's made from wood from trees.

toastfighter2

:wave:

we need a car that runs on cannabis oil and exhaust is a bong.
Well, we are half way there. Hemp can produce tons of biomass which can be converted into a type of diesel fuel(mmm "diesel" fuel), and I am pretty sure you could catch a buzz off inhaling the exhaust fumes(I am not recommending anyone try it, so don't go out and do it)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Because Petroleum is the crude oil and not the fuel refined from it. To call gas petrol would be like calling a book "tree" since it's made from wood from trees.

i see ,, just think its weird a little ,,,
we couldnt call petrol gas ,, we have gas also ,, be pretty confusing .. what do u call gas???

LIFEISGOOD

Someone once told me that Canada has 85% of the world's fresh, unpolluted water.I have no idea if this is true. If that's the case, I like Americas odds. And while desalinization plants are an option they too require a lot of energy for the amount of water they produce.

Willie nelson still has a hemp oil powered car.

Has anyone checked into sugar palms? Supposedly they can also be used for ethanol, grow in many regions, and on less than ideal soil. I doubt they can touch the efficiency of sugar cane.