What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fucking poison oak.....

F

Funion

The homeopathic remedy Rhus Tox, peppermint and franckinsense oil, clarifying shampoo.

Mia

where do you buy the technu?? thanks yall lots of good advice in here......the itching is finally subsiding a bit ive been dousing the sores alot with the betamethasone cream....washed all my clothes and sheets, poured dawn dish soap all my arms, then folllowed by vinegar, lol

this shit fucking sucks! its everywhere on the property too...ive been walking around with a big can of glyphosphate spraying everything...and cutting out ones that are within access...i heard the oils will stay in the dead plants for years! and its all over my cutting tools too...

FUCK URUSHIOL!

Problem is the root systems for poison oak are crazy...It is very hard to eradicate.
Had to dig up a bunch out of my dad's backyard years back. think that was the time I ended up getting steroids....or maybe another...

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Being s gorrilla grower I have had my run in with poison oak. It is a relevant topic here for that reason. I tried everything and only one thing worked. After two months of suffering my gf got me an ounce of Zanfel. It cost $35 and we were broke. I didn't think it would work but it did. I had a fever and everything. Zanfel at walmart.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
dude- did you try the zanfel?

hell yes....just did teh zanfel treatment......arms feel awesome. im wondering if i should top it off with another treatment of calamine or tea tree oil....

what is the best way to eradicate poison oak on a mass scale....is there anything hardcore that you can spray on them...i need to go in with a weed whacker and a large sized weed killer...

Z

Z-ro

technu = gimmick, dawn 'power clean' liquid ftw

they make poison oak killer, its in the same section as all weed killers at HD etc. DO NOT go in there with a whacker you will regret that for the rest of your life, p oak is so strong you can get it from particles in the air such as dirt or dust from digging the roots out lands on your skin and bam you got oak without ever coming in direct contact. If you need to eradicate it for a garden area your best bet is to find someone who isnt effected by it to do all the oak work or go buy a chemical suit or water proof rain gear and rubber gloves and go at it. once youre done, throw all that shit away, clean all your tools with bleach and make sure to bathe in dish soap asap. if the oil is washed off within 2 hrs of contact you will only get mil symptoms if any.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Yeah, if you wade in with a weed whacker you'll inhale particulates and end up in intensive care.

Get yourself some goats.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont know if anyone mentioned it but here is your answer to all of your posion ivy/sumac/oak issues:

felsnaptha.png

http://www.felsnaptha.com/

it is designed to get tough stains out of clothing...... but its BEST use is for eliminating rashes caused by poisonous plants.....

i have used every fucking thing in the book (except for steroid shot) and this soap works wonders....

thank me later!

most walmarts carry it! look in the laundry aisle!

no joke, youll be thanking me later!

it can be used @ any stage during the rash's life...

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont know if anyone mentioned it but here is your answer to all of your posion ivy/sumac/oak issues:

felsnaptha.png

http://www.felsnaptha.com/

it is designed to get tough stains out of clothing...... but its BEST use is for eliminating rashes caused by poisonous plants.....

i have used every fucking thing in the book (except for steroid shot) and this soap works wonders....

thank me later!

most walmarts carry it! look in the laundry aisle!

no joke, youll be thanking me later!

it can be used @ any stage during the rash's life...

S

SeaMaiden

Problem is the root systems for poison oak are crazy...It is very hard to eradicate.
Had to dig up a bunch out of my dad's backyard years back. think that was the time I ended up getting steroids....or maybe another...
Yes, you have to be persistent, but it CAN be killed.
hell yes....just did teh zanfel treatment......arms feel awesome. im wondering if i should top it off with another treatment of calamine or tea tree oil....

what is the best way to eradicate poison oak on a mass scale....is there anything hardcore that you can spray on them...i need to go in with a weed whacker and a large sized weed killer...
I cannot ever recommend the most often used weed killer, Round-Up, because of the problems it's created with superweeds. Poison oak is difficult enough as it is to deal with, do we *really* want a super poison oak? Not me! I whack it back manually, and since I'm the one who isn't affected by it thus far, I'm the person who clears out all poison oak. I've managed to get most all that was near the house killed off by using the technique I outline below.
technu = gimmick, dawn 'power clean' liquid ftw
If Technu were such a gimmick, why do I always see our volunteer firefighters buying it during brush clearing season? Why did it work so well on my own boys when they were little and wouldn't have known the difference? If Dawn works, that's great, I'll always keep some on hand, but Technu is not a gimmick, it works and works well.

I've also recently discovered a company that's making a lotion for jellyfish stings. In my former line of work being nailed by something packing nematocysts was common, we used to use meat tenderizer (pee for bug stings, meat tenderizer for ocean animal stings).

they make poison oak killer, its in the same section as all weed killers at HD etc. DO NOT go in there with a whacker you will regret that for the rest of your life, p oak is so strong you can get it from particles in the air such as dirt or dust from digging the roots out lands on your skin and bam you got oak without ever coming in direct contact. If you need to eradicate it for a garden area your best bet is to find someone who isnt effected by it to do all the oak work or go buy a chemical suit or water proof rain gear and rubber gloves and go at it. once youre done, throw all that shit away, clean all your tools with bleach and make sure to bathe in dish soap asap. if the oil is washed off within 2 hrs of contact you will only get mil symptoms if any.
Not only do you not need to use that shit made by the devil, Round-Up, but you can kill off poison oak just like berry brambles. The caveat is that in order for this method to be effective you have to be persistent for a period of time.

Machete or sharp-bladed hoe to cut it back to the ground. Keep checking it at *least* every week and all new growth needs to be whacked back to the ground. Keep it whacked back for at *least* two full weeks and you should be able to keep it down. I've done this every time berry brambles or poison oak come up in places where I don't want them, and it works.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
A lady I know tried to burn a pile of poison oak. It become airborne and effected her respitory system. It almost killed her. What your dog when you are in an area that has it. Dogs run through it and get the oil on their fur. You can get from touching them. My dog didn't react to the exposure but passed it on to people.

didn't read through the whole thread so not sure if anyone mentioned this but
TECNU is amazing
I am an avid mountain biker and I use this stuff after every ride - you can get it at CVS
they aslo have a medicated scrub for if you actually get the rash - helps stop itching
I always have it in my car and apply after every ride - shower when I get home
Good Luck

S

SeaMaiden

Oh yeah, NEVER try to burn that stuff. My son's gotten more instances of poison oak through touching the dogs than by getting it directly.

Did you know that birds and reptiles are not affected by capsaicin, the active compound in hot peppers? Ever see a psittacine go nucking futs over a super hot pepper?

Latest posts

Latest posts