What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fucking poison oak.....

i get the shit BAD in my line of work and after doing a lot of research i found out that no one is immune. it can literally change from one year to the next. some people go well into their 30's and 40's without ever getting it then BAMMM! the shit is pure evil.

L

longearedfriend

should have posted some pics

I once drank too much kava kava and had these insane rashes all over my body

thankfully didn't have any on my face

man... that was some crazy itching

dunno if people recommended calamine lotion
the other pink liquid

S

SeaMaiden

I was going downhill too fast on an ATV and hit a rock, basically got thrown into a big bush of poison oak and almost impaled on a manzanita stump.....

for the first 2 days nothing.....but now FUCK. i got rashes all over my left arm, shit is unbearably itchy...

ive done the baking soda vinegar treatments, the sting from the vinegar feels nice and it numbs it for a few hours..but it always comes back...

also got some steroid cream called betamethasone, been putting that on twice a day and nothing...

i even took some prednisone pills....shit wont stop itching!

is there any good methods some of yall use?
You need Technu wash and lotion. Keep it on hand, now that you know you're susceptible. Also, wash the clothing well, and next time, shower immediately, then apply Technu.

Calamine, Caladryl, baking soda + vinegar--all bullshit remedies. Technu WORKS, it's the best product I've seen to date.

I should qualify, poison oak can hit me directly in the face and nothing happens. But I can't count on it always being that way. My boys, especially my youngest, are extremely susceptible to poison oak's effects. So, I've learned well how to handle it.

First, remove clothing and that goes directly into washing machine. Don't try to burn it, that only makes it worse.

Second, shower immediately. I'm not sure why people say no hot shower, hot water + good soap is where it's at, IME.

Third, use the Technu products, at least the wash and the lotion. I've found nothing better, not even prednisone or cortisone treatments.

Don't touch your penis during this time. You probably already know this, but I always had to remind the boys.

supermanlives

Veteran
for some reason i dont get poison ivy or oak. dont know why but i get no reaction from it. maybe cause i am superman

L

longearedfriend

:)

he probably didn't see your reply being that you posted 4 mins before him

B

BrnCow

I'm laughing...sortedly...remembering the times I lived in Houston and got that shit right out of my own back yard! Drooling sores leaking a honey yellow ooze with crystals in it...nasty and itched like a sob! Not really a laughing matter at all! But, I hope if I fall into that shit ever again, I can use these remedies...I washed my clothes in hot only water - twice with a little extra soap...

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I am/was bad allergic to it, and I still get it on a regular basis.

Here is what I do, drizzle liquid dish soap effected area, rub it in as much as possible and rinse it off. Then spray some liquid benadryl topical.

A pharmacist told me about using dawn, its such a no brainer and I never even thought about it. Just make sure you pour it straight from the bottle, no dilution, and be generous.

fuck going to the doctor and fuck steroid shots, dawn ftw

The Revolution

Veteran
Tis the season for it. I get it every year about this time. Rummaging around in the woods, plotting seedlings, I always seem to find it.

Fels-Naptha bar soap is really good to dry it out. Its an old laundry soap with many other uses. Lather with this every shower. I would even recommend leaving it on and not rinsing it off for the first 2 or 3 applications. You can spot treat outside of the shower aswell. Leave it on for atleast 12 hours.

Also TECNU, is a soap product aswell. Used in the shower as a body wash its supposed to dissolve the oils inside the skin, and dry out the blisters. Ive had good results using both of these. THe Fels-Naptha is Number 1 tho. It seems to work best, and is about $1 for a bar. Put the bar in a ziplock bag and it seems to last years. I eventually throw them out bc theyre so cheap. Good luck, and whatever you do dont itch :)

I wouldnt recommend this as it can be painful and very dangerous if applied in sensitive areas, but If i have a bad patch of blisters I will use a Bleach soaked QTip and scrub the blisters til the break. This burns like hell, but works to stop the spreading immediately.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
where do you buy the technu?? thanks yall lots of good advice in here......the itching is finally subsiding a bit ive been dousing the sores alot with the betamethasone cream....washed all my clothes and sheets, poured dawn dish soap all my arms, then folllowed by vinegar, lol

this shit fucking sucks! its everywhere on the property too...ive been walking around with a big can of glyphosphate spraying everything...and cutting out ones that are within access...i heard the oils will stay in the dead plants for years! and its all over my cutting tools too...

FUCK URUSHIOL!

watts

ohms
Veteran
im allergic to the mess pretty bad. Just takes time.. try to avoid wearing hot clothes and showers. The heat makes it itch worse for me. It usually pusses up and oozes. Try your best to not scratch/itch it. I've always just used band-aid calomine spray from the store. Goes on easily and dries the mess out. Shake well before use.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
If you're maintaining property ...

I've been out dealing with the stuff along trails and encountered huge vines as big around as my arm growing up tree trunks. All the leaves were up top in the sunlight with the tree leaves. It felt good to cut those vines off. Of course the root mass still had something to say about this state of affairs. What originally were individual vine-trunks by the trail growing up against trees, exploded into prolific bushes that impinged upon the trail itself.

Plenty of leaves to spray that way though.

If you live in poison oak country, most gardening and sporting-outdoor supply stores should carry Technu.

djonkoman

Veteran
we don't have those aroumd here, stnging nettles are very common here tough, and I've been stung by stinging nettles often. they grow right next to my veggiepatch, so often bump into them with my arm or elbow when weeding, or step on one.
with stinging nettles there are a few plants that often grow close to stinging nettles that help against the sting if you rub them on the area that is stung(I know of 3, maybe there are more). and now my point: aren't there any plants like that for poison oak?

usually not a miracle cure, but it elleviates it a bit. and stinging nettles never lasts longer as a day, maybe a slight itch the next morning if you got stung in the evening

mofeta

Veteran
When I was younger, I was 'immune' to poison oak/ivy. My friends would call me up whenever they needed to have some cut out on their property. I could wade through the stuff all day with no effect.

Then, in 1996 I hacked a patch of poison ivy out for a friend of mine in New Mexico. A week later I was one solid mass of oozing, yellow, crusty lesions. It was agonizing. The mental torment was worse than the actual physical pain. I tried everything I could think of with no relief. After a week of misery, I hit on the thing that saved me:

Scalding hot showers. As hot as you can stand.

I know that it seems counterintuitive, but it gave instant relief. The hot water 'scratches' the itch, and subdues it for about an hour afterwards. I can only describe the scratching of the itch by the hot water as orgasmic.

It was a pain in the ass to take 10 showers a day for a week, but I would have lost my mind otherwise.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
with stinging nettles there are a few plants that often grow close to stinging nettles that help against the sting if you rub them on the area that is stung(I know of 3, maybe there are more). and now my point: aren't there any plants like that for poison oak?

Some people swear by mugwort ( a wormwood, Artemesia ?) It often grows under the shade of trees near streams in poison oak country. Mash the leaves and rub the pulp on your skin.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
When I was younger, I was 'immune' to poison oak/ivy. My friends would call me up whenever they needed to have some cut out on their property. I could wade through the stuff all day with no effect.

Then, in 1996 I hacked a patch of poison ivy out for a friend of mine in New Mexico. A week later I was one solid mass of oozing, yellow, crusty lesions. It was agonizing. The mental torment was worse than the actual physical pain.

THIS TO ALL THE PEOPLE CLAIMING IMMUNITY.

You are only immune until you are not anymore. I didnt start getting poison ivy until last year.

Its similar to a wood allergy. You can be fine working around cedar shavings for 20+ years, but once you get it, its over johnny.

As a kid i never really figured out what poison ivy looks like, i never had to, now...

Latest posts

Latest posts