What's new

? for growers with young kids?

FlaDankster

Veteran
Great thread. IMHO Kids of any age should have no knowledge of what you do. & before they're of an age to snoop around & find your grow, it needs to be moved. Childeren are easily coerced which makes them untrustworthy. The cops frequently came into my 7 year old nephews school to preach to them about how drugs are bad & illegal (including smoking and drinking) & to ask them if Mom or Dad does drugs or grows drugs or makes drugs in their home. LEO showed him pictures of plants & pipes & syringes... No, it's best to stay safe, & stay w/your kids so you can show them how ignorant LEO really is.

Good post.

I know some one that actually was turned in by their 9 yr old son years ago.........Kid just doin what we teach them,being honest.

D.A.R.E. A big joke but one that needs to be taken seriously.We can teach them what we want but kids will always be kids.......tryin to do what they are shown is the right thing to do,being honest.

O

OrganicOzarks

i think that unless you are a teacher with a lot of time on your hands, you would be doing your kids a vast disservice by homeschooling them, and even if you were qualified to do so, they would miss all the other things you learn at school like how to get on and communicate with other people. the vast majority of people ive met that were homeschooled has issues and related to others badly.
furthermore, in the Uk at least, you get inspected and checked up on regularly if you opt to homeschool your kids

i think they will understand why it was best to hide it from them. i dont even lie to my kids about father christmas, never have.

VG

I can see that you have been heavily brainwashed by the Government. Where I am 25% of the kids are homeschooled. I have only met 2 that were weird. The others were just fine. You do not need a teaching degree to teach a child what you yourself already learned in school. That is just stupid. My oldest graduated high school 3 years ahead of her friends. She must have been real stupid to pull that one off.

Have you actually been to a school to see how the kids are taught? It is sad. The brainwashed people also leave out the most important part of the equation. The State, and other children are raising your Children. For the 8 hours that your kid is away from you they are learning about life from other people with views that are not like yours.

So when they talk about politics they saw on the news who's view should they get? When they talk about history who's view should they get? Now the big stuff like sex, drugs, etc... who should they talk to about that? If they are at school it will be one of their dumb ass friends. So then they will get some bullshit kid info, and probably make a bad decision based off of the wrong intel.

Yesterday I tried to play it down on this thread, but this home school propaganda has my panties in a wad.

So where I am has a large number of people that are into marijuana. I mean a disproportionate amount of people. Everyone either grows, or their best friend or family member grows. It just is that way, and it has been so since the 60's. I only know of one family that does not openly smoke in front of the kids. It is no different then getting together, and having a bottle of wine. It is never a question of "do you think they smoke?" It is "do think they don't smoke?"

My point being that even in a small town with a large marijuana industry not all of the kids end up being slacker pot heads. The irony is the kids that go to public school smoke pot. The home school kids (with mostly hippie parents) don't really smoke. Because they have been raised with it. Since day one they have been around it. Also when they become a teen they want to be nothing like their parents, so they don't smoke.

If our 50 year experiment in this little town has taught us 1 thing it is to be honest with your kids. When the time comes(and it will) you should also tell your kids about your grow. They may be 10, they may be 18, they may be 21, but you need to tell them, or else there will be another brainwashed person in the world that believes the governments lies.

Just my dime minus 8 pennies. :)

FlaDankster

Veteran
If our 50 year experiment in this little town has taught us 1 thing it is to be honest with your kids. When the time comes(and it will) you should also tell your kids about your grow. They may be 10, they may be 18, they may be 21, but you need to tell them, or else there will be another brainwashed person in the world that believes the governments lies.

I liked and completely got your entire post.......but this is what it all really boils down to in my eyes.:tiphat:

softyellowlight

So when they talk about politics they saw on the news who's view should they get? When they talk about history who's view should they get? Now the big stuff like sex, drugs, etc... who should they talk to about that? If they are at school it will be one of their dumb ass friends. So then they will get some bullshit kid info, and probably make a bad decision based off of the wrong intel.

Amazing post! How much better could the world be if we focused on opening minds rather than narrowing them down? :tiphat:

djonkoman

Veteran
if it weren't for programs like DARE I think you would be pretty safe, around here we don't have anything like dare, the only education I ever got about drugs was a project about tobacco in elementary school(at that time everyone said they would never start smoking tobacco, a few years later in highschool everyone in my former elementary class except me and one other guy were tobacco-addicts).
the thought of smoking weed never even crossed my mind back then, and I didn't really know anything about it except that it was a softdrug and semi-legal(here in the netherlands)
and one time a friend and me were playing in the playground behind our house were a few kids who were a few years older just left and that friend said he smelled that they had smoked weed, but I couldn't smell anything(I never smell burning weed, at least, I do smell smoke but a campfire and a joint smell pretty much the same to me, and I can't smell anything at all if that joint isn't being smoked right next to me)

anyway, when I had some plants in the backyard of my parents' house my little brother, who was 6-7 or so at the time(large agegap between us), asked during dinner why I was growing stinging nettles
so if there isn't something like DARE 6-7 would still be safe I think

about homeschooling, I don't know much about it but I would think the educationpart would be better as regular school(or it could be), but I do think the socialpart could be a problem. around here homechooling is very uncommon and you're only allowed to homeschool your children if you have a teachers degree, I only knew one person who was homeschooled, my grandfather, and he was only homeschooled for one year
I think it could've done me well in elementary since I was the smartest of my class while the teachers all adapted to the slowest of the class and my small village e;ementary didn't have any arangements for the smarter kids, no skipping of grades, no extra work etc and we had 2 years combined, so I would listen along with the lessons of the higher year while being in the lower year and then in the higher year I already knew everything and was even more bored, and I didn't have much friends in elementary anyway(not much=often none), but I wouldn't want to have missed the great times I had in highschool(wich truly deserves the name HIGHschool eventough it isn't called that around here)

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Well this thread has certainly evolved into a great and knowledgeable conversation. Has definitely strayed from the specific question, but that's no matter, as larger issues are being discussed.
I think a few sayings apply here, many ways to skin a cat, and opinions are like assholes, we all got one.

This world is so diverse, with its communities, laws, cultures, people, ideas, there is no RIGHT answer to these large issues. For instance i live on a street where 1/2 of the homes grow cannabis. Some rather openly, with smells and obvious signs that can be seen from the street. Risk of "rippers" is quite small as the amount of people growing, and the amount of rips, make it a very small possibility. About as likely as getting robbed walking down the street.
My point is that communities and prevalence and mores play a large part in our safety and decisions, so one size fits all is not the case.

Love the discussion and thank all of you for discussing it.
:tiphat:

daniweed

I have many friends who born between cannabis, if you explain what is this plant and teach them for plant and don't say anything about that, you haven't to worry.

Bye!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see that you have been heavily brainwashed by the Government. Where I am 25% of the kids are homeschooled. I have only met 2 that were weird. The others were just fine. You do not need a teaching degree to teach a child what you yourself already learned in school. That is just stupid. My oldest graduated high school 3 years ahead of her friends. She must have been real stupid to pull that one off.

Have you actually been to a school to see how the kids are taught? It is sad. The brainwashed people also leave out the most important part of the equation. The State, and other children are raising your Children. For the 8 hours that your kid is away from you they are learning about life from other people with views that are not like yours.

hi OO, i live in the UK and clearly my experiences are different from yours as one might expect. i assure you i am not 'brainwashed' in any way, but i dont think that stopping your kids from talking about your grow by not allowing them to go to school is a very good reason for homeschooling them - which was the crux of my original response.

yes i have been to a school and seen how the kids are taught and i think the education system (where i live at least) is a wonderful thing which my kids are benefiting greatly from. i teach my kids a lot about many things myself, and tbh sending them to school helps to stop them being 'brainwashed' by ME. i want them to have as wide a knowledge as possible and then make their own decisions and choices in life... i dont want or need them to turn out as carbon copies of their parents.
in these days of advertising, marketing etc i think its very important to teach your kids to deconstruct propaganda and make informed choices
my wife is a teacher so we have a good handle on the whole thing. academically perhaps homeschooling could be advantage, but socially and in the area of 'life skills', in this country, i see it as a disadvantage.

like i implied above, i dont see school as a replacement for good parenting - more as an important part of a balanced upbringing. i have talked about the issue of drugs etc with my older boy (12) and i told him that they are bad for the developing brain (as has been proven) and that he should definitely not touch weed until he goes to university and is grown up with a sense of who he is. this was a discussion that occurred after he was taught about it at school.

So where I am has a large number of people that are into marijuana. I mean a disproportionate amount of people. Everyone either grows, or their best friend or family member grows. It just is that way, and it has been so since the 60's. I only know of one family that does not openly smoke in front of the kids. It is no different then getting together, and having a bottle of wine. It is never a question of "do you think they smoke?" It is "do think they don't smoke?"

My point being that even in a small town with a large marijuana industry not all of the kids end up being slacker pot heads. The irony is the kids that go to public school smoke pot. The home school kids (with mostly hippie parents) don't really smoke. Because they have been raised with it. Since day one they have been around it. Also when they become a teen they want to be nothing like their parents, so they don't smoke.

where i come from very few smoke weed that i know of, and it is generally seen and portrayed as something evil.

Just my dime minus 8 pennies. :)

im sure i will tell all when the time is right, when i feel it wont put responsibilities on them that i see as unfair at their age, and i am confident that my kids have a mind of their own and wont be brainwashed (which seems to be a word you bandy about rather flippantly)

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
about homeschooling, I don't know much about it but I would think the educationpart would be better as regular school(or it could be), but I do think the socialpart could be a problem. around here homechooling is very uncommon and you're only allowed to homeschool your children if you have a teachers degree,.....

very similar here in the UK - you get a lot of eyes watching you and assessing you if you opt for homeschooling.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I love the breadth of exposure that my kids get in a public school. I don't want them just exposed to my ideas, politics, religion (or lack thereof), and values. Fuck, I'm an (agnostic) atheist and I have them in Christian sports leagues just so that they have some exposure to religion.

Pine

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the breadth of exposure that my kids get in a public school. I don't want them just exposed to my ideas, politics, religion (or lack thereof), and values. Fuck, I'm an (agnostic) atheist and I have them in Christian sports leagues just so that they have some exposure to religion.

Pine

exactly! better to teach your kids how to relate to and deal with the world out there rather than hide them away from it.... they'll be out there soon enough anyway.

VG

softyellowlight

exactly! better to teach your kids how to relate to and deal with the world out there rather than hide them away from it.... they'll be out there soon enough anyway.

VG

Your schools sound very different from public schools in the United States. Here, we have Drug Abuse Resistance Education, No Child Left Behind, the worst teacher salaries in the affluent world... Please don't talk about supposed virtues of our public schools if you are not educated about them yourself.

O

OrganicOzarks

Your schools sound very different from public schools in the United States. Here, we have Drug Abuse Resistance Education, No Child Left Behind, the worst teacher salaries in the affluent world... Please don't talk about supposed virtues of our public schools if you are not educated about them yourself.

I agree that our public schools are horrible.

Why would you send your kid to a Government school when you do not even agree with the Government? Doesn't make much sense to me. On one hand you say that you don't agree with the Government controlling what goes in your body, but on the other hand you are ok with what the government puts in your child's mind.

In the land of Hillbillies and moonshine we call that "Ass Backwards." :)

I hide everything my kid but will let him know once he is a bit older. Regardless I instill the values in my kid that the drug war is wrong. I also refuse to let my kid participate in DARE propaganda classes at school because I object to it.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

i havent said anything about your schools. i live in the UK and have made that clear.

kids get bombarded with propaganda from all angles and i personally think that i'd better to teach them how to recognize and deal with it rather than try to insulate them from it as much as possible. otherwise it would be no school, no TV, no internet where do you stop?

VG

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I agree that our public schools are horrible.

Both my parents are involve in public education. I live in the US, attended public school in a large urban district, and send my kids to public school. I received an excellent public education and I believe my kids are getting them same. While schools where you live might be bad, ours are excellent. The high school that my kids would attend had nearly 30 senior national merit scholars with less than 2000 students.

Pine

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I know i´m gonna be beaten to a pulp but i also believe in honesty.
Honesty with my 10yo kid and honesty with my fellow growers ;)
I´ve started to grow three years ago when my kid was already 7yo and smart,curious and hyper as any 7yo boy should be.
Because growing my own made me change many of my routines and interests my kid was oe of the first persons to notice my improvement. Sadly, not ;) , i´ve never found it in me to lie to my kid when the 1millions dollar questions started to arise.
So step by step i´ve been bring him up to the dangers&reasons for my cannabis passion always stressing that i would be better of without it but at this time in my life i need it to function at my best.
Nowadays cannabis is just another "grown-up" issue that he does not needs to bother with yet. And if the time comes he knows that i will be here to support him on his decisions.
Last September i was busted in my own place for having a few plants on my back garden and if it wasn´t for my honesty with my kid on the subject it all would be much worst.
I believe that the people that share my life should know what kind of risks their partner&dad is taking.
I understand and respect all of you guys that manage to do it all in secrecy, i just could not do it myself.

stone_edd

I agree Paulo that its best to be honest with your children about growing and smoking pot, my son is 4 and at this stage I hide my growing and smoking from him but as he gets older I would like to be more honest and open about the subject , however this is a RISK and risks make me uneasy, its just a sad world when we have to hide our passions from people.

There is no right answer to the topic only best judgement.

Peace

Stone

softyellowlight

i havent said anything about your schools. i live in the UK and have made that clear.

kids get bombarded with propaganda from all angles and i personally think that i'd better to teach them how to recognize and deal with it rather than try to insulate them from it as much as possible. otherwise it would be no school, no TV, no internet where do you stop?

VG

Okay, then I misinterpreted you if you were not including the US public schools. I went first to a private (Montessori) school and then essentially told my parents, "I want more structure." and then went to public school. I went to a great public school, one with many regional accolades and regularly feeding into every good university in the country, but I do not think my education was a good one.

There was intense focus on a number of areas with no relevance to adult life, memorization of facts and figures far more commonplace than actual learning, and of course the absolute evil that was DARE. I feel that this country's attitude that, "Everyone should go to college!" is total brainwashing, and generally results in no benefit except for the major profits the educational industry makes by selling a cheap, shallow education as if it is a broad and thorough one. The only reason that the school system served me well at all was that it taught me skepticism and exposed me to the scientific method early on.

I got very little lasting educational value from it, and taught myself to learn at the collegiate level rather than going to college, saving myself years of pointless drudgery. I just don't see a very large value in it other than as indoctrination. YMMV

Latest posts

Latest posts