What's new

Fireknot farm 2016

I see options for 68$ plus 40$ shipping for 25,000 in a 1 litre tube.
The rest are over 200$ so I'm going to go with that.

The buildasoil essential oil mix smells like this spa I used to frequent in Santa Cruz...sweet sweet lemongrass nostalgia

How do you incorporate the mites into your ipm?

I'm curious how long I should refrain from spraying before deploying them or if it even matters because they eat mites and not plants.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Last year outdoors we had a bad mite issue I'm not sure if they were broad mites or not, I only sprayed amazax which didn't do shit and spread a couple thousand lady bugs that really didn't do shit either. it was infested. We recently ran a indoor run and had no mites what so ever, I sprayed em twice in veg. with a mix of Dyna Grow Neem Oil and SM-90 mixed in the same atomizer. Im not sure if this would eliminate your problem, but maybe take your seedlings once they get size to them and treat it with that before the bugs are even present

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
HL45 uses the predator mites, he was Sharing some good info on my thread last year. Swirskiis. They seem easy to use and not too expensive but I don't remember the exact details. I may get some for this season. I also have a bunch of pfr97 in my fridge from last year. I think it stays good for a while.

I ordered the mites and have pfr97 in the fridge. Just sprayed the sulfur away with 15ml/gal of the essential oil mix. Smells awesome in here!

What I still find amazing about your garden is you got broad mites (the damage looked 100% identicle) but your plants fought them off. I'm seeing some resistance on my healthier plants. The smaller ones that got topped too hard were what they hit the hardest. But...better safe then sorry...might as well deploy them if you can. The pfr will come in handy if you get them in your greenhouse as its easy to control rh that way. I cant see how it would work on outdoor plants otherwise. I'm definitely going to do this.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I ordered the mites and have pfr97 in the fridge. Just sprayed the sulfur away with 15ml/gal of the essential oil mix. Smells awesome in here!

What I still find amazing about your garden is you got broad mites (the damage looked 100% identicle) but your plants fought them off. I'm seeing some resistance on my healthier plants. The smaller ones that got topped too hard were what they hit the hardest. But...better safe then sorry...might as well deploy them if you can. The pfr will come in handy if you get them in your greenhouse as its easy to control rh that way. I cant see how it would work on outdoor plants otherwise. I'm definitely going to do this.

My stunted plants did bounce back but not fully. I sprayed with neem oil and pfr97... Still not convinced it was mites though. I think starting from seed, especially seeds that are vigorous as bodhi's, helps contribute to strong immune system / pest resistance

Yea hard to say without scoping any of their eggs. Not sure what else would do that though I haven't seen damage like that from anything else.

Unless you had 80%+ rh for 8 hours the pfr97 wouldnt have worked. Maybe you can get away with doing this on a humid night with no rain depending on weather. I'm just going to dump water all over my rooms/greenhouse.

S

Stone House

The previous mix was for 36 yards, I'm too poor at math to notice apparently, so the final 40 yard mix is as follows:

13 yards 5/16th" lava rock
13 yards peat
12 yds oly mountain fish compost
2 yds malibu

132 lbs kelp
121 crab
143 gypsum
132 oyster
66 neem
55 alfalfa
550 glacial rock dust

Total ~ 160$ / yrd
Should be getting it next week. Then its off to the lab. I'll send the water and other soil in too I've been slacking. I opted to buy the rest of the bagged ammendments which should make reammending easier later on.

To the OG ICMagers: Are there any recommended threads for mound making? I've decided I am going to take preventative measures against gophers even though it looks like previous success was had without doing so...I need peace of mind. Apparently chicken wire wont last more than 2 years so I'm looking for options besides multiple layers. I've heard if they have an alt water source they wont mess with you so I may also give them a little pool or something.

Anyone tried Rare Earths Wacky Alaskan Mix?
Cootz South Fork Mix was out of my price range.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I see options for 68$ plus 40$ shipping for 25,000 in a 1 litre tube.
The rest are over 200$ so I'm going to go with that.

The buildasoil essential oil mix smells like this spa I used to frequent in Santa Cruz...sweet sweet lemongrass nostalgia

I picked up some of the buildasoil essential blend and incorporated it into my IPM as well. I sprayed and my roommates kept walking around asking what smelled like ginger, haha. They don't like neem foliar days. I would say to exercise caution on the heavier end of the application rate on small/young plants. I didn't see issues when I did just shy of the higher recommended application rate but my clover cover crop took a hit.

Good to know. I'm going to do the cover crop thing later on in the season. I'm seeing good results from the sulfur and then the essential oil mix next day. I'm going to start dabbing my clothes with it when I leave the farm from now on! Plants still look beat up but green and the larger ones are showing resistence and stretching...yay.

I just sprayed pfr97 but my humidity is still below 60 even with 5 gal of hot water dumped on the floor and vents off. May not work but worth a shot. Will be way easier to control in a greenhouse. I'll see where my humidity is at next time I irrigate at night and maybe I'll shut the lights off 8 hours if I can get it up to 80. Might have to wait for rain too.

I woke up just now to the mechanical cries of a dump truck horn.

The soil yard said they would call before trucking. They didn't.

I also paid for the rest of the ammendments which I guess I have to drive a few hours to pick up. The driver called the place "special" apparently communication is poor on their behalf. I'm stoked it's here though I'm going to send samples to the lab today and maybe go pick up the rest.

YHIlygRh.jpg

R

Robrites

I woke up just now to the mechanical cries of a dump truck horn.

The soil yard said they would call before trucking. They didn't.

I also paid for the rest of the ammendments which I guess I have to drive a few hours to pick up. The driver called the place "special" apparently communication is poor on their behalf. I'm stoked it's here though I'm going to send samples to the lab today and maybe go pick up the rest.

View Image
Jealous

I know how you guys feel, truly, this is a long time coming for me! I've dealt with sociopath partners, asshole sheriffs, been homeless/out of work from things falling through in the past, worked construction and damaged my sciatic nerve, etc etc. I will be so grateful and amazed to make it thru this season and hopefully come out further ahead than ever before but I know as well as anyone anything can happen between then and now. I have high hopes though!

hEzERC7h.jpg

...and the bag is tied...

What's next to do here? Other than the neverending broad mite battle waiting for test results I'm going to be cleaning up the property there's shit everywhere. A busted pool, lots of trash, an old chicken coop I'm going to tear down and burn. I also have the skeletal remains of a carport greenhouse sitting dead on the hill. I gotta see if I can make it stand but don't know if I can do it on my own. Gonna try! Lots of hash in the meantime.

Time to reread teaming with microbes! I saw EssentialGround has some books posted to his instagram. I want to hit those after.

There's also the old cabin a family with an invalid used to live in I want to clean out redo the wood porch and have a little dry room / meditation hut / worker barracks by the garden.

Still need to get all that soil up the hill! Need to spray compost teas too but that's probably not happening anytime $oon. :)

jVz0qA0h.jpg