What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fireknot farm 2016

R

Robrites

View ImageI just submitted a request for a soil sample and a water test.
Does anyone find a water test crucial or advantageous in any way?
I know it's high in hydrogen sulfide and iron (bloody rotten egg water yum!) I've been told it's usable for outdoor without filtration. I RO for everything inside. Opinions?

Man>15 years ago I had that coast range rotten egg water. If you tripled your coffee recipe, you could stomach it. It kind of stuck to you when you showered. Crick and river water was much better and what I watered with.

A test will give you the truth, but, more than that, It will give you comfort. You will have knowledge.

You will know what minerals you are feeding your plants

tlNQkOL.jpg
HBwZoJ7.jpg
uZ2luwY.jpg

Thanks. I'm sending out the samples tomorrow. I'll post up the results as soon as I get them. In the meantime here's a turkey tail and a couple more farmshots. I cut a piece off with my knife it tasted pretty good (if you like dirty fungus) I'm going to put it in my echinachea and elderberry tea later with mullein I picked and dried from the farm.

As you can not really see from these shots the landscape gives way to clearings in areas where patches of plants will go---like 10 in each area---fenced off 8' high with black net secured around trees so the deer dont get in and the eyes in the sky dont see.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Great strain selection, i bet the space monkey will be the loudest one in the garden. My sky lotus from last year just tested 29%thc at sc labs.

im eager to see what you do about the soil situation. i personally dont think its worth it paying 2-3x more for pre-tested baller style dirt, after having had great results with $120/yard custom coot style mix. Maybe you can order some of the cheaper stuff now, and have time before spring to get it lab tested and make any necessary adjustments?

is anyone still on the EWSF hype train? I remember in 2014 they were gettin a lot of praise, although apparently with mixed results
Welcome home! I've moved over 30 times in 10 years so I'm really enjoying it.

I'm getting a hang of the instagram thing although all the pictures of the ganjagirls are kinda dangerous. Being on the hill is lonesome enough as it is... there's something about a hot chick getting stoned.
i feel you on both those things.

Thanks! 29%! Hell yeah. Getting super pumped here. I'm leaning toward the same thing... you get great results with your mix but lack the biology which should be significantly cheaper to innoculate with teas when I get it and throughout the year than paying 380 a yard up front. With the politics so volatile its hard too ultimately not knowing but hoping this is a longterm endeavor. It can always be moved too I guess. Probably a good idea to move now though... I thought about just possibly ammending the soil that's already here but fuck that I want big plants. If I pull half the numbers you do I'll be stoked.

Which was your better performing compost that you used? Any other adjustments/recommendations?

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Which was your better performing compost that you used? Any other adjustments/recommendations?
2014 my mix was coots-style with chicken compost, and all the amendments cut in half. worked great with minimal investment. Then i reused that dirt again in 2015 without tilling/re-ammending.

here is the soil test after one season

EDIT: forgot to mention, the past two years i have had them mix one tote (3yds i think) of Malibu Compost , per 40yd batch of soil, in place of some of the other compost.

Attachments

• p1coots.jpg
    p1coots.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 16
  • p2coots.jpg
    p2coots.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
R

Robrites

2014 my mix was coots-style with chicken compost, and all the amendments cut in half. worked great with minimal investment. Then i reused that dirt again in 2015 without tilling/re-ammending.

here is the soil test after one season
How much chicken compost for how much soil did you use Shcrews?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i have been reading that EWC is the best to use though, better than fish/bird/mammal shit, just more expensive? hope i have that right.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
If you can't find ewc in bulk then llama and rabbit shit are killer and some farms pretty much give it away. The llama shit will turn into ewc if its piled up with hay and let to compost for a while.

Last edited:
So what can we discern from those results? If you've already delved into this in your thread and I missed it let me know and I'll go back and read.

It looks from my n00b perspective everything is good except for the high P? Which could theoretically be from the fungus breaking down your roots? What plans do you have for adjusting this?

It looks like its calling for a bit more peat too? Are you going to reammend before adding your new soil?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
So what can we discern from those results? If you've already delved into this in your thread and I missed it let me know and I'll go back and read.

It looks from my n00b perspective everything is good except for the high P? Which could theoretically be from the fungus breaking down your roots? What plans do you have for adjusting this?

It looks like its calling for a bit more peat too? Are you going to reammend before adding your new soil?
those tests are from last year, there was a bit of discussion on my thread around april/may, not sure exactly when i posted them. If i get a chance i will check it out myself, it's not all memorized haha. Milkyjoe provided a lot of good info. If i remember correctly there were no amendments needed for the coots mix last spring although some foliar reccomendations were given for balancing everything out. As you know i didn't foliar and had decent results anyway. Just saying you can probably go with a cheaper mix like i did and it will be decent, plus i assume if you get it soon you have time to make adustments

you probably have a better grasp of biology/chemistry than me. Soil test results are pretty useless in my hands. i just get them and then do whatever the experts recommend this year..

Oh gotcha, very interesting nonetheless in regards to the P, maybe it’s just normal. I'm curious what your next test will look like. I'm going to see if I can find those posts too just to reference. (Around page 50 or May 20th)

Gg almost done. Had bad pm and broad mites when I got the clones but turned out dank.

PKxcnUs.jpg

Last edited:

orechron

I'm actually surprised that your test doesn't show higher K considering its coots mix. It usually has numbers around 9-12%. It being around 6% is really good news. The extra compost may have raised it to 8%. A current test would be good.

The high P, aside from inhibiting micronutrient uptake, will also make the myco inoculants less effective. You have to think of the partnership as a trade between sugar and phosphorus. The fungus requires some of the plants sugar but the plant won't give it if there is free soluble P in the soil (from a bunch of compost).

Spraying micronutrient sulfates would be a top priority in that soil. Micropak from AEA or Biomin Booster from JH biotech. The JH product also has some chelated Calcium. Boron is the other thing I'd address. Some solubor in the soil now would help.

Latest posts

Latest posts