What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fireknot farm 2016

B gump

I love to use EWC, my plants seem to react well. It's a great top dress, I definitely add some every year to the soil to replenish, and its a staple in my tea recipe. I give it credit for establishing some of the best root development early on. I have a friend who loves to use rabbit manure and swears by it. The results were pretty good and the bags of rabbit manure were 1/5 the cost of good EWC.

Coba

Veteran
Anyone sub coir for peat? Cc mentioned he used it with sucess in a post long ago..

http://gardenrant.com/2009/04/ken-druse-dishes-the-dirt-about-peat-moss.html

This is one of the many articles wrtitten on the dangers of mining peat moss...I would like to find an alternative other than coco, for people who cant afford it. Peat moss is cheap, but I feel bad using the stuff now...

two words... leaf mold. fwiw Canadian Sphagnum Peat moss harvesting has been covered extensively in the organics section... apparently, it's not as detrimental as people think. to the contrary as a matter of fact.
However, if you were so inclined, leaf mold is a super viable alternative that only takes a toll on yer poor back.

Coba

Veteran
Payaso in the HOUSE!

Dad's home okay... so everybody, act like we just got back from church :)

Smoking some dank bubble hash after work listening to some tunes---I think it's time for an update:

I was able to move all the ins locally to new contacts so that makes me happy but my yield was terrible...my worst ever...broad mites are no joke people! Im still battling them. A pylon spray only seems to last three days before the damage returns! There has got to be a better way! And here I am trying to go organic *rolls eyes* Azamax, dynamite, bleach, and a heat treatment only pissed them off further. I may have to buy some pfr-97 I dont know what else to even do. Another heat treatment and pylon spray right now...yay!

Anyway, I'm able to finance the soil purchase now and will be doing so tomorrow!

40 yards total:

-12 yards 5/16" lava rock
-12 yards peat moss
-10 yards Oly Mountain fish compost
-2 yards Malibu compost

plus
240 lbs kelp meal
220 lbs crab meal
260 lbs gypsum
240 lbs oyster flour
120 lbs neem meal
100 lbs alfalfa meal
1000 lbs glacial rock dust
This mix is from Schrews thread. I'm going to clone it and scale up to 50 yards unless the delivery is super expensive. I'd like to get more but oh well I fucked up and will just do it bigger next year. I'm going to divide all those numbers by 4, then take that and add the sum to each number to give me the adjusted amounts for 50 yards. Does this sound about right to ya'll? For example: 240 lbs turns into 300. Any other thoughts I'd love to hear them...until next time...peace!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I Still havent got the test results back for that soil but i think You could probably cut the amendments in half and do just fine

50 yards total:

-16 yards 5/16" lava rock
-16 yards peat moss
-12.5 yards Oly Mountain fish compost
-2.5 yards Malibu compost

plus
150 lbs kelp meal
138 lbs crab meal
163 lbs gypsum
150 lbs oyster flour
80 lbs neem meal
60 lbs alfalfa meal
600 lbs glacial rock dust

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Looks good . Based on my experience i think that will get you through the season no problem.

Rare earth told me 40 yds is the biggest load they can fit on one truck, so if you need 50 yds you might have to pay for hauling 2 truckloads. Trucking alone was $800 last yr to my place from rare earth. Still not too bad though if you figure it into the price per yard considering the mix is pretty cheap

Thanks baron1.

I ordered 40 yards this morning with ammendments cut in half. Should get a quote any minute here then its off to pay for it tomorrow.

I'm fed up with the broad mites gaining resistence to pylon. Someone here suggested buildasoils essential oil mix so I bought some and it was an excuse to pick up a 3lb bag of their 12 seed blend for a living mulch. I also bought pfr-97 which should arrive during some rain, as it has to be used above 80%RH, going to cover my floors in warm water too during the 8 hour application. They need to fuck off and die. I've lost 4 plants this run, probably going to lose another 1 or 2 more too it looks like at least. This summertime weather in winter only gets them into ragemode that much harder. I'll also be adding wettabke sulfur to the rotation. On th plus side I'm learning how to deal with these demons.

So the BM battle saga continues...new avenues of death shall be employed at full force...in the mean time I'll be chainsmoking bubble hash...

I know I planned on doing more plants, and I still am, but I'm going to have to come up with an alternate option for their soil. Not sure what I'll do yet but I'm sure ordering 10 or 20 yards of coots from rare at the end of April would be a bad move. Does anyone think vermifire would be a viable option for my misc. guerilla plants?

The previous mix was for 36 yards, I'm too poor at math to notice apparently, so the final 40 yard mix is as follows:

13 yards 5/16th" lava rock
13 yards peat
12 yds oly mountain fish compost
2 yds malibu

132 lbs kelp
121 crab
143 gypsum
132 oyster
66 neem
55 alfalfa
550 glacial rock dust

Total ~ 160$ / yrd
Should be getting it next week. Then its off to the lab. I'll send the water and other soil in too I've been slacking. I opted to buy the rest of the bagged ammendments which should make reammending easier later on.

To the OG ICMagers: Are there any recommended threads for mound making? I've decided I am going to take preventative measures against gophers even though it looks like previous success was had without doing so...I need peace of mind. Apparently chicken wire wont last more than 2 years so I'm looking for options besides multiple layers. I've heard if they have an alt water source they wont mess with you so I may also give them a little pool or something.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm not sure but I think diatomaceous earth might help you with the mites. I know you can mix it into the soil or top dress. Good luck this year.

-Funk

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The previous mix was for 36 yards, I'm too poor at math to notice apparently, so the final 40 yard mix is as follows:

13 yards 5/16th" lava rock
13 yards peat
12 yds oly mountain fish compost
2 yds malibu

132 lbs kelp
121 crab
143 gypsum
132 oyster
66 neem
55 alfalfa
550 glacial rock dust

add 40lbs azomite
add 80lbs humate ore:)

Whats the reason behind that? It's already ordered but depending on cost/benefit perhaps I could call tomorrow. I think I'm probably capped on my soil budget for a couple months. It could be added into the topsoil later on?

Thanks Funk!

HL45

Veteran
Get swirskii mites. Only thing that has kept broad mites out of my garden permanently. I order 100 sachets every month

Thanks for the heads up man. I am waging a war right now. Just did sulfur. Now I'm going to use an essential oil mix, then it's on to pfr-97, then by that time I may be able to employ those mites.

Looking on the bright side I'm learning to deal with one of the worsts pests out there. Definitely the worst infestation I've ever personally dealt with.

I'm supposed to be popping beans soon and honestly have no idea how I'm going to protect my seedlings...organic hopefully (or not if I have to).

HL45

Veteran
Get swirskii for your seedling bro.

And don't stop introducing them into your garden swirskiis everymonth...no more poison

MileHighGlass

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Broad Mites can, and are a bitch to deal with. People have great luck with predators and biological controls. You can beat them. I've been down that road myself. It sucks :)