What's new

Exploring lunarcy phases with Apollo 11

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
This is my 1st run in build-a-soil organics, leaving the bottled organics behind.
Plants have been getting a once a week EWC ACT drench supplemented with straight H20 in between as well as once to twice a week foliars.

First run ever in soil? Did you hand feed your outdoor stuff in the past? Figured you already had a straight dirt run by now. I know you were a H&G fan for a while. Compost tea once a week is solid, keep the microbes pumping which takes care of a lot. Did you just get the cootz mix from bas or mix your own w/their amendments?

19 should be a nice sample size to observe. Take us to the moon, HL!

antheis

Veteran
My re-entry into the Apollo Space Mission has me growing out my
last merging’s of these gene stocks, A11 x (F13 x A11).
I germed out somewhere between 50 to 60 of these seeds and potted up the healthiest 36 into Solo cups. Over the next several weeks I culled ten of these plants due to mutations, culminating in keeping 26 plants.

This suits me fine and I’m really enjoying this run. The initial cross of these two varieties didn’t get a real good look by me, only growing out three plants, two of them outdoors, so I relish having so many plants to observe.
I love these small Airpots as they afford me a chance to look at more than a few plants in my small grow room.
This is my 1st run in build-a-soil organics, leaving the bottled organics behind.
Plants have been getting a once a week EWC ACT drench supplemented with straight H20 in between as well as once to twice a week foliars.
With 26 plants I was hoping for 15 girls and I was ecstatic to get 19! This led to lollypopping them up one more node than planned.
Here they are last night twelve days into flower.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=15253&pictureid=1587180View Image

I’ll be posting back when I have a nice canopy going.

Cheers and thanks for having a look!

you just (re)introduced my jaw to the floor!
looking great and i'd say you already have a good canopy:woohoo:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey my canna-friends, thanks for stopping in! :thank you:

Ras, most of my grows have been in soil for the most part, but this is the 1st time I've really augmented my soil to where I can leave the bottles out.
Starting out growing hydro in the 80's, I've always worked from the 'bottle paradigm', so this is scary for me taking this blind faith approach.
I built my own soil based on the coot's model for the most part. It's the 1st time I've added minerals (greensand, basalt, azomite.)
As I heat w/ wood (oak) I've been collecting char and making bio-char.

Been making vermicompost the last 5 yrs. ACT brews the last three.
Big shout-out to Heady Blunts for the great DIY ACT thread!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=200274

It's been a slow journey. Of course Otto swayed me to trying out coco and I'm grateful to having been pushed in that direction. It's all been a positive learning experience, but I just feel an organic approach is where I need to be.

For foliar's I've been using NEEM and aloe. I will admit that when they were still seedlings in cups I did give them a spray with 'Sea Green'.
Again, something I bought because Otto raved about it so much, lol!
Being a frugal New Englander, it's hard for me to not want to use those bottled ferts up, and I did use some with my last grow, but since I've gotten them out of the cups I've been good.
:)

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Antheis, you snuck in on me! Thanks, but you ain't seen nothing yet, haha!
Apollo is my fav variety to SCROG, and I usually top them in doing so, but not this run. It's a very branchy plant and you'll be seeing many branches working up into the canopy. It should be a pretty good show in a month or so.

Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
I'd been lying if I said I wasn't interestered in just feeding plants with teas occasionally and water sounds efficient, cheaper, and healthier. I don't personally see me walking away from the bottle nutes anytime soon but expirirmenting with a few plants is doable for me now a days :). The foliar spray with aloe is something I've recently been looking to do myself even with the floranova as a base seem like a good idea to boost a plants SAR functions and process, also been looking into other plant hormones to try out as well, coconut water/powder being an example among other things. Glad you put this thread up cause I'm sure I'll have questions and my readings lately of advanced plant biology will apply to your build a soil I bet.

LostTribe

Premium user
View Image

It’s been four years since my last Apollo mission, and boy, the lunar landscape sure has changed!
We’ve got Mr.Soul back reviving Brothers Grimm and bringing back the beloved Cindy 99 and curiously, Apollo 13.
Today is the 45th anniversary of NASA’s Apollo 13 launch.
I often wondered why Mr.Soul named it after the one failed Apollo mission while Apollo 11 was gloriously named for man’s first steps on the moon.
Meanwhile you’ve got JD Short taking the baton from DJ and bringing out ‘F13Throwback’, while DJ plays around with Flo stock.
You can follow these breeders on Instagram.

I germed out somewhere between 50 to 60 of these seeds and potted up the healthiest 36 into Solo cups. Over the next several weeks I culled ten of these plants due to mutations, culminating in keeping 26 plants.

I’d dropped the ball by not germing them a month earlier so the race is on to finish them before it gets too hot around here. I do not run a perpetual grow, shutting down in summer, so the plan was to flip them earlier than I would normally do and run a bunch of small plants.

This suits me fine and I’m really enjoying this run. The initial cross of these two varieties didn’t get a real good look by me, only growing out three plants, two of them outdoors, so I relish having so many plants to observe.
I love these small Airpots as they afford me a chance to look at more than a few plants in my small grow room.
With 26 plants I was hoping for 15 girls and I was ecstatic to get 19! This led to lollypopping them up one more node than planned.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=15253&pictureid=1587180&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

NOYCE! Got any of those A11xGenius Pheno Cuts left?

antheis

Veteran
i meant to ask you earlier, but what size airpots are you using?
i have 3 litre and 3 10 litre and i love them, but man are they expensive.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey antheis, I have 20 of the smalls, 10 of the mediums, and 6 of the large garden sizes, but it seems they've changed the dimensions since I bought them 5-6 yrs. ago.
The small ones I prefer are smaller now then the ones I have.
Mine are listed @ .8 gal/3L, whereas the new ones are listed @ .7 gal/2.7L.
Seems you have the smaller "propagation" pots in the 1L size and maybe some older of the medium size. The medium size now is listed @ 7.5L.
I just look at them as an investment. I started out using recycled nursery pots, then bought square pots to help with plants becoming root-bound.
These small 3L ones I prefer enable me to look @ more plants but also I'm geared to running long-flowering NLD's/sativa cultivars and these help keep them from getting too big indoors.
The trick I need to learn as I go forward using a living soil base, is how to augment them with teas so they don't deplete all the nutrients during a long-flowering run.
Otto, I'm such a noob w/ all this, so it's all trail and error going forward. Hopefully we can all learn together as we've done in the past.

:tiphat:

nachilloo

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heelloo HL, moore than ready to watch the run. I am sure you will be surprise about how good is the final product without using any [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]bottled ferts. Did I heard long flowering sats???, You know if you want any of mine, just give me a shout ( or pm better jjeje).
Saludos and best wishes bandio
n
[/FONT]

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nachilloo, mi amigo, always a pleasure!

Thanks for the kind offer but I need to try to germ some of my old packs I spent $ on first, jejeje! :D
I have some of the OT Haze ACE originally released with 5 different lines and that's up 1st next fall. ;)

I think you grew out one plant of the A11 x (F13 x A11) but the mother of yours was the A11-GPC, whereas these plants came from the A11-#10 mom.
Four yrs. old and tho she's certainly lost a little something, it still provides a nice daytime buzz.
Now she's "gold". :)

and yes Lost Tribe, I have a jar of seeded A11-GPC using my A11 males.
I should be growing some out next winter looking for males for the haze.

krood

good luck with the water only approach, i am doing my first water only grow too, im using the soil recommendations from dank.frank, and im loving it so far

LostTribe

Premium user
View Image

It’s been four years since my last Apollo mission, and boy, the lunar landscape sure has changed!
We’ve got Mr.Soul back reviving Brothers Grimm and bringing back the beloved Cindy 99 and curiously, Apollo 13.
Today is the 45th anniversary of NASA’s Apollo 13 launch.
I often wondered why Mr.Soul named it after the one failed Apollo mission while Apollo 11 was gloriously named for man’s first steps on the moon.
Meanwhile you’ve got JD Short taking the baton from DJ and bringing out ‘F13Throwback’, while DJ plays around with Flo stock.
You can follow these breeders on Instagram.

I’d dropped the ball by not germing them a month earlier so the race is on to finish them before it gets too hot around here. I do not run a perpetual grow, shutting down in summer, so the plan was to flip them earlier than I would normally do and run a bunch of small plants.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=15253&pictureid=1587180&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Those look hella F13ish which one did you use? An old DJ or the new Throwback? Not having luck finding the oldish F13 with these f2's from green path either they don't really resemble the original spicy tasting DJ F5 imho....

Those look more DJesque to me. Cannot wait to see them and YES pop them 99x11's you should call it 911!!!

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes LT, you can see a lot of DJ in these.

Besides just loving the A11 high, I see it as a perfectly benign strain for breeding. It passes on the shorter flowering time and can pass on shorter internodes, but everything I've crossed it with has dominated in the mix.
This is the 2nd time I've backcrossed an initial pairing back with A11,
(The other being with Golden Tiger) and both were still dominated by the outside genes.
In veg, the lowest node were always very branchy, but once in flower,
those branches have stayed pretty tight to the stalk, so I won't be seeing the thick, even canopy I would have with straight A11.
Branches are not pliable like A11, much more woody.
You can see the plant on the far right has the puckered, clawing fan leaves often synonymous w/ DJ's work.
And yes, these were original F13's. The 2nd highest price I've paid for seeds behind the A11's.
Here's a shot of one that had been topped with fans removed just before getting the chop @ 60 days.

So we're seeing a similar columnar structure.

Here's a shot of the one F13 x A11 I grew indoors @ 30 days, also topped.

Here's a shot of some fan leaves from 6 of the 7 males I took down.

I love having this mono-crop to be able to compare plants to.
Individually I see a lot of variables amongst them, but as a whole, pretty similar. They're there own critter now. :)

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Krood, heady blunts, & highsteppa, good to have you on board!

We'll see how the straight watering goes between my brews.
I've been pulling dandelions and soaking them for use as a straight tea in a couple of weeks. It's a good feeling using such cost-effective methods sourcing my own additives. :)
Been also top dressing around the trunk w/ a Tbs. of my EWC once a wk. or so.
Happy with how things are going.
:D

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy 420!

Happy 420!

Just had my 420 blast @ 4:20 :D

I've been reading back thru Purcellville's old F13 thread
(https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62344)
when I came across the following quote from Mr. Alkaline that I found interesting and makes me wonder how much it may have contributed in my buying F13.
Purcellville was a former Apollo grower too.

Mr. A:
I remember an Apollo eleven I grew from 40 seeds, it was Genius in every way, above all other plants this was the lemon pinesol smell and it had the look,...but everytime I smoked it I fell asleep.!!!-This was NOT GENIUS.
My point is that DJ created F13 like Soul made Apollo Eleven(c99xgenius)f13 is the apollo 11 of DJ SHORT.
The whole point of Apollo 11 in my opinion was...Colombian(mexican) X princess (THAI).
The whole point of F13 is...Flo(mexican) X BB (THAI)
Naturally, this would mean that similar highs can sometimes result from these strains.
DJ Short found, recognized and preserved superior seeds.
Soul liked the Haze High.
DJ liked the Mexican High.
And this is the big difference in these Men's products!
Both of these breeders used a sat lean male to make their pinnacle heady cross!!!
Both of these breeders say their hybrid should/will be more potent.
Apollo Eleven was mainly based on the female, F13 was mainly based on the female.

I know I've mentioned it prior in this thread, but I just didn't find an F13 that was as clear and energetic as my Apollo's, but damn, it sure boosted up the terpenes!
:)

P.S. Still 3 pks. of these up @ SB. ;)

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one, antheis! :D

I run my lights @ night and my basement isn't very conducive to photoshoots, but I realized it was still light out when they come on now so I did an impromptu shoot w/ one of the plants.

My mix proved hot, so I haven't been keen on documenting them, but the buds are nice. :)

Right now, @ day 45, they're smelling pretty pineapple-y, some sweet, some sour.
This is a trait w/ my A11 line, leaning to the C99 side.
It usually is a passing phase with my Apollo's in flower. They mellow out to the lemon thing. Bit surprised it's that strong, as physically, they lean to the F13 side.

picture.php

picture.php

Bump to get "member" status with the 50 posts! so i can pm Clarence & Old Pink about how to how to pay with with western union and/or moneygram. I Have sent over 50 emails to "support" with no response! on 4 money orders i have mailed, & they have not been shipped out yet! I'm guessing they are lost or stolen. Tricky

Latest posts

Latest posts