What's new

Exploration of the Big O...Bodhi's Ae77 Cali O X's

billycw

Veteran
I thought since Bodhi has a bunch of his Apollo 11g f3 male crosses out in testing and they will be popping up, I would lay down some history on him. Mr. Soul layed down much knowledge in the early online days. Like many, I really enjoyed and respected his sharing of knowledge on his cubing project of Princess. Bodhi's Apollo11 line is a f3(at least this round of testers) of a Fet preservation line from a Brothers Grimm release I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) leaning towards the Genius. Lineage breakdown I believe is Genius x Cinderella 99.

Now I could cut and paste from all over the web but 2 have summed up everything with this line very well. I'll let there knowledge and history blend here...

From british_hempire
british_hempire-
Back in the late nineties, a breeder called Mr Soul, who with his partner Sly formed the Bros Grimm was in Amsterdam. At the time Sensi Seeds had a Coffeeshop where you could buy buds from their mother plants to sample the strains before you bought the seeds. Mr Soul visited this shop and found some seeds in a bag of weed:, as he explained in an internet post:

“I bought a 2 gram bag of Jack Herer buds (1996 Cannabis Cup winner) in Amsterdam at "Sensi Smile" coffee shop on Achterburghwal straat. The buds were supposed to be sinsemilla, but I was pleasantly surprised to find about a dozen seeds in the bud. I found the high to be cerebral and energetic, but not too long lasting; the buds appeared almost white due to resin coating. Of the 6 seeds I attempted to germinate, every one was successful and I got a 50% male/female ratio.”

One of those three females turned out to be very special and was given the name Princess:

"Princess was obtained from growing out seeds found in buds of Jack Herer that was purchased in Amsterdam at the "Sensi-Smile" coffee shop, an authorized outlet of Sensi Seed Bank. Thus, it is considered to be an f2 generation Jack Herer. The seeds were found only in the deepest part of the buds indicating that the father was an unusually early-maturing JH that the growers missed at first."

Mr Soul wrote a very vivid description of Princess:

Princess smells very much like pineapple both during flowering and when dried, but there's this "evil" scent in it too, like rotting meat, which has been linked with the most devastating weed (notably the Durban/Thai hybrid from SSSC, years ago). The taste is connoisseur quality when it's cured; VERY fruity. The high is almost too intense for a lot of people; Dr. Atomic actually refused to smoke any on our second meeting, after getting rather "hazed and confused" on the first sampling we did together a couple of weeks before, so he decided to try Shiva Skunk and found that more mellow and to his liking. Two hits of Princess will induce your body to tremble involuntarily and your heart to race and paranoid thoughts... very much like Haze, but not quite as intense. It also has a "creeper" quality that makes it easy to over-indulge...you get progressively higher during the first 10 minutes after smoking.

He sure does make it sound like a special plant! A plant with the power of a Haze is bound to be a worthwhile smoking experience, but what was really special about Princess was her vital statistics, as Mr Soul described:

“Princess grows vigorously, and is rapidly-maturing... 6 to 7 weeks of 12/12. It feeds heavily and requires about 50% stronger nutrient solution than an Indica does. It stays short, for a Sativa-dominant strain, and finishes at about 3 ft indoors. The yield from such a plant is about 20 grams.”

Highs of the order of Haze are usually only to be found in long flowering sativas, and such plants are difficult to grow indoors, rarely producing a worthwhile harvest. In Princess, Mr Soul had found a plant that had a sativa high of the highest order encapsulated in a plant with superb growth pattern for indoor growers. No wonder Mr Soul described her as a 'Holy Grail'. Canadian breeder Vic High was impressed by Princess and recognized her rare attributes:

“This strain is exactly what most people believe doesn't exist; a Sativa which grows VERY well indoors, stays short, and matures as rapidly as an Indica (faster than many), and has the great KILLER Sativa high/flavor. The yield is fine too. Mr Soul finds that the Indica strains are too leafy/stalky and much goes to waste with them, whereas Princess has an extremely high flower/leaf
ratio and therefore almost no waste.”

Being a breeder, Mr Soul decided to begin a breeding program to create a seedline that embodied the Princess qualities:

“Her characteristics were so fine I wanted to create seeds that would "replicate" this plant. She has the KILLER Haze-influenced high with the most DELICIOUS pineapple/evil scent, 50 day maturation in 12/12, and incredible resin production, doesn't stretch - yet clearly Sativa-dominant! Last but not least: Never a hint of hermaphrodism after 2 years of cloning & many different styles of grow.”

Princess ticked all the boxes, in Mr Soul's eyes she was worthy of replication. This was the genesis of one of the most famous breeding programs in cannabis history. Creating a stable seedline from a single F2 female of an unstable three-way polyhybrid was going to take some effort, I shall let Mr Soul explain:

“Jack Herer is an unstable strain bred from an unequal combination of Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze. Crossing a male and female Jack Herer creates an F2 generation which has a HUGE number of possible recombinations of the genes. I grew out some Jack Herer F2's and discovered a SPECIAL one, "Princess", which has many improvements on the original JH such as a shorter flowering time, denser bud structure and pineapple scent/flavour.”

So how to go about stabilising a female? The obvious step would be to cross her to one of the three males that were grown from the same seeds, but Mr Soul wanted to improve one of the less desirable traits of Princess:

“I wanted to "cube" Princess but add a little beef to her branches because the buds were always too heavy at harvest and branches needed staking to keep from flopping over. I crossed my ShivaSkunk female with one of the males from the same group of seeds that Princess came from. THIS cross produced a male which was then crossed to Princess, creating "P.50" (using a shorthand notation I developed to indicate the fraction of Princess genes in the cross).”

Mr Soul now had a batch of seeds composed of 50% Princess genes, 25% Shiva Skunk genes and 25% Princess' brother. From here, the route to stabilisation lay through backcrossing a male from this seed generation to the Princess mother plant. Mr Soul then did three more backcrosses to Princess, each using male pollen from the latest seed generation. The progression Mr Soul went through was:

P.50 = Princess/(ShivaSkunk/Princess'Brother)
P.75 = Princess/P.50
Cinderella 88 = Princess/P.75
Cinderella 99 = Princess/Cinderella 88

Mr Soul described the breeding process:

“I have been continually back crossing Princess with her male offspring (generation after generation) which eventually creates a stabilized strain having her special characteristics found reliably in most females grown from those seeds. Each generation is composed of a 50% genetic contribution from Princess (since she's the seed parent) and a 50% contribution from the pollen parent (which also has an increasing percentage of Princess' genetics with each generation). The progression goes: P.50, P.75, P.88, P.94, and P.97...at that point it's considered stabilized (a male and female P.97 can be crossed and the offspring are essentially the same as the parents). I have been VERY pleased with the way this project is going; even the P.75 generation was rather stable in the sense that the individuals were all rather uniform and HIGH quality. “

He also described each of the filial generations, which gives much insight into the stabilization process:

“Each generation is the result of crossing a male from the previous generation to Princess herself

Blow-by-blow description of the generations:
P.50 = Heavy, single-cola type plants with mellow high (too much influence from the ShivaSkunk) Sweet fruity scent/flavor. Unstable in most traits - for example, 10 days difference in fastest/slowest maturation period in a group of 20 seedlings.
P.75 = Plants leaning MUCH more in the direction of Princess in floral cluster and bud structure, scent/flavor turned more "tropical" like pineapple. The stability was becoming better - two major phenotypes; short & dense (potent too) or tall/HUGE (Not so potent).
P.88 = Renamed Cinderella 88 when first released on the market. It grows fast and produces excellent yields of FROSTY buds in 7 weeks! Generally uniform seedlings with minor differences in floral formation and some height variance, but the smoke is quite consistent from all plants - Dense, heavy nuggets of fruity scented & flavored (like wild berries) and covered in resin glands, the dried buds have distinctly ORANGE pistils.
And now P.94 = Cinderella 99. This project has been a huge success. The strain has been embraced by the "net"work of growers with rave reviews. “

The seed from of the P88 generation were released onto the market as Cinderella 88 and received glowing praise from many growers. A year later, the P94 generations seeds were released as Cinderella 99 and a legend was born. Mr Soul wrote what has become a legendary description to accompany the Cinderella 99 release:

“Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99:
This strain may be the "Holy Grail". The result of painstakingly back crossing a VERY RARE female to her male progeny over 3 generations. This hybrid was specifically bred for indoor cultivation. Short statured & heavily branched, this plant grows LONG, dense colas with an EXTREMELY high flower/leaf ratio and OUTRAGEOUS resin production. The breeder has observed a "giant leap" in potency with each progressive generation and, as expected, Cinderella 99 has topped all previous results -her high is heavily influenced by Haze; clear, energetic & devastatingly psychoactive. A plant with all of the above is rare enough, but Cinderella 99 finishes flowering after a scant 50 days of 12/12! Above average yields of crystal covered buds reeking of tropical fruit aromas can be harvested every other month once a mother plant is selected and asexually propagated. One final accolade - preliminary results from the breeder indicate Cinderella 99 will breed true... IMAGINE!

Flowering: 50 days
Height: 100 cm
Yield: 1-2lbs per 1000W lamp “

Growers quickly discovered that Cinderella 99 was indeed a special strain, it grew well in all types of gardens and had only 3 main phenotypes, showing that Mr Soul had succeeded in creating a stable seedline. The taste and high were consistently superb between individual females and the plants were finished in 50-60 days with most preferring to harvest at 56 days. The yield proved to be as good as the breeder's description. C99 soon became known as one of the best all-round strains on the market. Mr Soul wrote a fitting description of his 'holy grail'

“I personally think the plants these Cinderella 99 seeds produce are every bit as good as a cutting from Princess herself (or better). I say better because the flavor of no two plants is "identical"; there's a personality to all living things. Like Princess herself, Cinderella is sweet & fruity to the palette and nose, and when you take a hit you're BLASTED...with the same "racy" high as Princess! The improvement comes in the yield department; 25% greater yield and a stronger branch structure, which I accomplished by starting with some ShivaSkunk genes in the original father in the cubing process. I knew I'd blend out the majority of the traits from ShivaSkunk in the cubing process, but I was hoping to incorporate the ShivaSkunk's stronger branches because Princess had a tendency to need supports in the final two weeks of flowering. As it turns out, I got lucky and it worked. The name suits the strain IMO - it's a true Cinderella Story."

And Mr Soul himself on Apollo 11

Mr Soul
Mr Soul
Experience & luck just came together. I had worked for SSSC of Amsterdam for several years in the 80s. The experience I got there, growing all their strains and breeding hybrids from them over a decade is how I developed myself as a breeder.

It was pure LUCK that I decided to grow out the seeds I found from that JH bud - I normally wouldn't have done, but I was starting a new facility & had lots of space at the time.

Princess, Genius & Cafe'Girl are VERY special individuals, but that's not obvious to the casual observer. Many wouldn't have recognized the uniqueness of the combination of fast-flowering, heavy resin production, intense potency, hermaphrodite resistance & special flavours. The typical grower may have judged Princess as too low-yielding & tossed her out, ignoring the other traits.

My experience with so many hybrids and well-known strains gave me the awareness that it's extremely rare to get the Haze-type high in a fast-flowering plant with heavy resin production such as Princess'. I knew that if I could create a seedline with these characteristics it would be very valuable to growers. I had the breeding methods to accomplish that as well as add to the yield, and C99 resulted.

Genius has all the typical desirable traits including good yield. Princess' flavour and high are on another level from Genius however. Naturally I thought of combining Princess & Genius in one strain. Both being females, that wasn't possible. Once C99 was created I was able to accomplish this combination by using a male C99 to pollinate Genius and created Apollo 11.

Rulatone- thanks, still figuring out the camera settings before I break down and get a decent one.

billycw

Veteran
I'm not one to just talk about it, so lets update the Cali O x Apollo11g girls! I am seeing very similar strong branching sativa structure from all the a11g girls. Smells are sweet and amazing to say the least, ranging from Pineapple's to tangerines. Seem to be the quickest on the tables in flower as well. Really liking this line.

Cali O x Apollo11g #1 at day 29
putting on weight with great branching, smells like a skunk taking a bath in tangerine juice, lots of tangerines:)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
My favorite so far Cali o x A11g #2! Amazing trich coverage early on with a quick jump on everything on her table. Great branching sativa structure forming nice size sites. But when touched this lady comes alive, smells like a shipping container from hawaii carrying pineapples and tangerines was held up at customs for a week in the hot sun! I want to eat it...

Cali o x Apollo11g #2 at 29 days
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Thanks Heady! Every time I see your sig I start craving a Lobster roll :)

Just getting through some of the last round of pictures, on to the Satsuma's. First up #1.

Satsuma #1 is looking really nice in a group of lovely ladies. Totem pole type structure on her forming large main cola's. Very nice early trich development. Smell, well thats where she's really interesting. She smells pretty close to dead ringer Orange like BO#2, both seem to have a greasiness after touching. Really digging her.

Satsuma #1 day 29
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

That's pretty good trichome development on the leaf, for day 29 on the satsuma.

But that Cali o x Apollo11g #2 looks special. For day 29 it looks about as trich covered as my sour d ibl. Everything is looking superb. I really love ur aroma descriptions too.

Also I really enjoy the history lessons on the lineages n breeders.

Keep up the good work sir.

Bring on da Orange!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
sweet! glad to hear the satsuma has the orange on the nose. one of our two girls has very similar leaves to your #1. I've been assuming it's the more Cali o leaning one.

the second plant has much finer leaf serrations. it's like a metal saw blade vs the wood saw blade of the first plant. both express double serrations.

I hope we don't see that zero stretch pheno like you did. how did the other satsumas stretch?

billycw

Veteran
Miraculous Meds- Thanks much appreciated. #2 is really standing out, she seems to be starting to finishing as she is stacking. I have never had one do that, i'll try to snap a quick pic tonight to show the couple day change. Checking all the boxes for me so far but more on the pineapple side of things.

Heady- Thanks, all the satsuma's seem to have a citrus smell to some degree so far. I think instead of the sweeter tangerine i'm smelling more a Mandarin type of smell profile with this line(#1 is all orange). The zero stretch girl had fatter darker leafs, she has a nice mandarin type front with a peppery type backend(maybe some grapish skunk in there too) very interesting for a smaller yielding headstash.

While I was digging around for some leads, I stumbled upon a archive of "The Kabul Times" in the U of A collection's here http://content.library.arizona.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16127coll6 .

Really didn't find what I was after but found a couple worth a look. Had to throw them up.

The Kabul Times 1973-01-29
Think the picture says it all on this one
picture.php

The Kabul Times 1972 02 03
25 gallons of hash oil, 2 men claim they intended to smoke it all in a couple days haaha
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Satsuma #4, pics were at 29 days. This is the zero stretch girl, starting to get a nice mandarin type of front end to her smell keeping a peppery type thing going on, interesting mixture. Still looking like she will be a low yielding headstash type.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Miraculous Meds

25 gallons of hash oil worth 6 mil. Man those guys were doing it up back in the early 70s. I had to do some math on that. Theres 3785g in a gallon. So that's 94,625g in 25 gallons. That makes the value on nyc streets in 72', at about $63 a gram.

panick503

There is also a couple other Orange cuts I have been curious about if anyone knows how they relate to or stack up to Cali O, Mandarin, Florida orange skunk(used by Swamp boys), Orange velvet(used in tga agent orange)... If anyone has pics of Cali O growing would love to see them too.

]

I grew orange velvet a few times, it was passed throughout my friends a couple years ago. Really strong vigorous growth, a lot of stretch, but it could always support itself and threw out massive colas that were best described as a creamsicle flavor. Straight up orange and vanilla... really wish I could get it back. still run into the finished product up in Portland. The story I heard about it was Subcool got it from a guy in Oregon who has had it for about 20 years or so. He supposedly called it The Melvin..

billycw

Veteran
Shcrews- Thanks man, really glad to see your outdoor thread back in action, lurking the hell out of it. Living the dream:)

Miraculous Meds- I didn't even know where to start to figure out a gallon of hash haha

panick503- Did you grow the melvin cut or was it the Orange velvet BX he released at some point? Also curious if you saw any double serrations with the cut you had? Thanks for sharing.

Bmac1- Thanks man, its appreciated.

Little correction update, the A11g #6 is actually a Satsuma so we will just switch her to Satsuma #6. The thin leaves threw me off a bit, that and the laziness to bend over and look at the pot :) When I was taking a look at her noticed a couple triple serrations. Odd ball of the bunch.

Satsuma #6 day 19
picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
I wanted to follow up on the Cali O x A11g #2 a couple days later to show how quick she is moving. Fastest I've had in my garden so far. As you can see her hairs are going during initial stack, rest of the table same age nothing changing yet.

Cali O x A11g #2 day 33
picture.php

picture.php

Had to throw one more update on Blood Orange #2 before harvest pics. Beasting out like the hulk, now surpassing the 1000hps box width and circumference. Her orange scent is carrying really strong, quite greasy.

Blood Orange #2 day 58
picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Call me crazy but I think Cali O x A11g #2 is finishing... 35 days flower, sister still stacking nicely, satsuma's same age same table not a changed hair. #2 is even getting cloudy trichs and tipping some purple hue's.

I'm not familiar with quick plants, fastest I've ever had was low 50's but always took to 55. I've read about 49 day c99 pheno's but this is super early to start to finish right? Anyone that has a fast girl wanna chime in.

Cali O x A11g #2 day 35
Smells like rotting pineapple with hints of citrus!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Cali O x A11g #2 with same age Satsuma's in background, notice not a hair turned yet on the satsuma's still stacking away.
picture.php

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I had a pheno of Dinachem that did the same thing. Right around the 30 day mark the buds would start looking done. Orange hairs, great crystal production, and the buds stayed small like yours are.

Thought I had hermie pollen flying. Nope, never found a single seed. Thought I was from heat. Nope. Had a winter run that did the same thing. In the end I'm pretty sure it was genetics, or the food used. It happened every single time, it was lead me to that conclusion.

Ollie

Veteran
Might got a 45 day flower strain ..

Sounds tasty !!!

Give it a week or so with flush and see where it is at.

Keep it up