What's new

ERR... UNFLUSHED CANNABIS ...CONTAINING CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS FROM THE FERTILIZER.SAFE?!

MIway

Veteran
Bro Science 101 all over this thread.... its all good ...dont trip .. any data to back up all these claims...just curious? Remember all the Bro Science towards TMV aka Broad Mites..

Just saying...food for thought.... I'd love links to real life peer reviewed Data on this white ash theory... until then....

Bro... That's why we hang dry the weed and screen dried is so harsh. The resin and cannabinoids are heavier than nutes, so it seeps down into the buds hanging upside down, and displaces the remaining nutes in the nugs which flow back into the stem and evaporates out the stalk cut. I slice the stems all the way up and down to accommodate, ya know? Helps if ya suck on the stems twice a day too, just don't swallow... It's all Chem nutes. Best flush around... 5/6 plant biologists recommend, or so my buddy said. It da bom yo! ;-)

MIway

Veteran
but the resin is made in the buds , so it cant seep down?

It doesn't matter... Just tell 3 people... Want to see how long til it turns up in high times or the guys at the hydro store start telling people... ;-)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ehh... .. Yeah... ... > I'm concerned mostly about how harmful the unflushed smoke is to oneself...

Unflushed is un-healthy. Period. On the low end it causes additional work for your lungs, working that crap back out. On the high risk end you're introducing elevated levels of npk into your system.

I've personally experienced a great deal more "Head Rush"'s from unflushed bud... usually after a few hours or a full day of toking. You know, standing up too fast or having been leaned over too long and stand up?

Water curing will remove a lot of the water solubles... it'll taste like crap though. :(

If it's extremely un-flushed... make oil out of it with ethanol and then make edibles. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

T

trichster

Dont flush your plants, FADE them. Stop ferts 6th week on a 9 week plant and then just plain water. No BS artifical flavors either let the plant taste natural. With unflushed your also waisting all the flower that doesnt burn up into ash since it turns into a black chunk. Flushing with tons of water right at end only flushes the pots out not the buds.

guy fawkes

Veteran
Here is an article that talks about the mineral composition of the soil and how it relates to the color of the ash.

http://www.cuban-cigars-store.com/ash.html

Plain water will not make your plant 'swell like fuck' unless you've buildup so much salt in your medium that your plant no longer needs additional food. That salt buildup is a sign of overfeeding and poor medium management.

i flush all the salts out my medium yet they still pile on the lb's using what nutes are stored in the plant

guy fawkes

Veteran
Here is an article that talks about the mineral composition of the soil and how it relates to the color of the ash.

http://www.cuban-cigars-store.com/ash.html

Plain water will not make your plant 'swell like fuck' unless you've buildup so much salt in your medium that your plant no longer needs additional food. That salt buildup is a sign of overfeeding and poor medium management.

as for the ash i stand by my statment, also the smoothness and quality of the smoke speak for them self

oh and btw since when did tobacco get fed with chem nutes in a pot?? 95%is grow outside organicly with min nutes presant often with nothing more than sunlight soil and rainwater in wel drained soil so your point with the cigar ash is a bit invalid really isnt it as the heavy rainfall will FLUSH the land regularly in the climate were most tobacco is grown
you you cant compare the 2 can you

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Determinant by the medium?

Lucas never advised flushing and ran full 8/16 to harvest. I did the same for several years in Ebb&Flow Hydroton. Smoke was smooth. Quality has higher then most "organic" growers I've hung with who grow in bat shit and other nasty amendments. They'd like to say otherwise, but in a complete blind test they would pick my un-flushed GH lucas buds as the flushed organic kind thinking it was their own. Tested this on several snobby friends who think 'chemy' is bad. They're full of shit...maybe because they smoke so much of it.

Cutting the nutes at week 6 would leave me with deficient plants with poor yields. Why starve the plant in crucial periods of flower development?

Maybe you guys are all referring to flushing soil, etc but we've found in water culture hydro with no medium or medium such as hydroton that flushing did NOT improve taste, quality, or yield.

Quality comes from healthy plants grown right.. and how you dry/cure in my opinion.

Growing with refined minerals (chemicals as many call them)..in water culture.. no flush/1400ppm @.7 till the chop. The so called connoisseurs who only smoke flushed organic weed had nothing to say. They selected the properly grown GH herb over the others.

Flushing is over-rated/misunderstood. I'll flush my coco, but do not find it necessary nor beneficial in straight water culture or hydro.

guy fawkes

Veteran

Lucas never advised flushing and ran full 8/16 to harvest. I did the same for several years in Ebb&Flow Hydroton. Smoke was smooth. Quality has higher then most "organic" growers I've hung with who grow in bat shit and other nasty amendments. They'd like to say otherwise, but in a complete blind test they would pick my un-flushed GH lucas buds as the flushed organic kind thinking it was their own. Tested this on several snobby friends who think 'chemy' is bad. Their full of shit...maybe because they smoke so much of it.

Cutting the nutes at week 6 would leave me with deficient plants with poor yields. Why starve the plant in crucial periods of flower development?

Maybe you guys are all referring to flushing soil, etc but we've found in water culture hydro with no medium or medium such as hydroton that flushing did NOT improve taste, quality, or yield.

Quality comes from healthy plants grown right.. and how you dry/cure in my opinion.

Growing with refined minerals (chemicals as many call them)..in water culture.. no flush/1400ppm @.7 till the chop. The so called connoisseurs who only smoke flushed organic weed had nothing to say. They selected the properly grown GH herb over the others.

Flushing is over-rated/misunderstood. I'll flush my coco, but do not find it necessary nor beneficial in straight water culture or hydro.

run water through medium (soil/coco/perlite mix) till it runs clean .. and then some.. and just h20 for 10 or days dose the trick, good yield and clean bud

each to there own:tiphat:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I do agree with flushing dense mediums such as soil/coco/rockwool or the a like.

I just don't think its necessary in water culture. When running water sometimes I'll run fresh RO for 3-4 days.... just to make my friends happy. ;) , but have grown hydro for many years running full strength Lucas formula and my end results were far from harsh, bad tasting or burning.

Dont want to deter people from flushing, but those assuming that all GH "chemical" grown bud is always bad are full of shit. I'd consume unflushed hydro all day before go I toking on unflushed soil that has been grown in bat guano (aka.. cockroach carcasses, shit and piss)

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Dont flush your plants, FADE them. Stop ferts 6th week on a 9 week plant and then just plain water. No BS artifical flavors either let the plant taste natural. With unflushed your also waisting all the flower that doesnt burn up into ash since it turns into a black chunk. Flushing with tons of water right at end only flushes the pots out not the buds.

When you fade, you slowly ween your plants from fertilizer. That is a flush you are talking about.

With a fade, your ferts would get cut from their 6 week peak 75% in week 7, 35-50% in week 8, and about 10%, or 100ppm h2o for the last week. Your plants will ripen more fully and effectively this way.

T

trichster

No flushing is when you give plain water last week of flowering. Fading is giving plant plain water from 6 week on which slowly you see ppm go from 1200 to 1000 to 800 ect. until your done flowering.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
No flushing is when you give plain water last week of flowering. Fading is giving plant plain water from 6 week on which slowly you see ppm go from 1200 to 1000 to 800 ect. until your done flowering.

Runoff PPM?

I run Organic soilless so maybe our teks are a bit different.

chuckduck

Look at fruits and vegetables they all have fertilizer requirements for growth. We eat these foods. Of course we don't smoke our food either. But we do cook it sometimes at high temperatures to affect chemical compostion of the food from when it was raw harvested. I like raw spinach but as soon as it is cooked the taste offends me. Something chemically changed in the spinach during the heating process.

Now this is only my conjecture on the flushing process. Which I would always recommend. When you flush I feel the micronutrients is what is getting flushed from the plant more than anything. The micronutrients are going to be a lot less in proportion than macronutrients. With that being said, if you look at all the nutrients on a melting point, flash point or boiling point chart you will find that the micronutrients contain heavy metals with extremely high flash points. How hot does iron have to get to change states? A bic lighter won't do that. Even when you light the charcoal over and over it still remains black. So when I see weed that doesn't burn then this is what I feel like the problem is. Even when the weed burns to a white ash there is still residual elements left unchanged. Otherwise there would be nothing left of the weed.

I don't know what chemical reactions may be left from many elements burning at one time. Some hit flash point some don't. I'm sure if an analysis was run on the smoke given off from flushed and non-flushed plants the chemical composition of the smoke would be different from both. Time for chemistry 101.

As far as the paraquat, it was a weed killer that was being sprayed on Mexican fields of ganja to kill it back in the 70's. Like Superman said unscrupulous farmers would harvest it anyway and send it north to the good old US of A. I only remember it being found in import weed in California. I believe there were some people that died from it. Very scary time for pot smokers.

Any info that starts with "this is just conjecture" in my mind means I have no idea. As for paraquat killing people do you have a source for that?

Most paraquat that contaminates cannabis is pyrolyzed during smoking to dipyridyl, which is a product of combustion of the leaf material itself (including cannabis) and presents little toxic hazard.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran

Lucas never advised flushing and ran full 8/16 to harvest. I did the same for several years in Ebb&Flow Hydroton. Smoke was smooth. Quality has higher then most "organic" growers I've hung with who grow in bat shit and other nasty amendments. They'd like to say otherwise, but in a complete blind test they would pick my un-flushed GH lucas buds as the flushed organic kind thinking it was their own. Tested this on several snobby friends who think 'chemy' is bad. Their full of shit...maybe because they smoke so much of it.

Talk is talk and then there's real world results. There are many experienced growers who also don't flush in hydro. I feel a res change once/week is optimal and that itself prevents most nutes or undesirable buildup. A proper cure/decarb goes a long way to improving taste and high.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I just don't think its necessary in water culture. When running water sometimes I'll run fresh RO for 3-4 days.... just to make my friends happy. ;) , but have grown hydro for many years running full strength Lucas formula and my end results were far from harsh, bad tasting or burning.

Most people have bricks for tastebuds... some folks have even less and can be considered 'non-tasters'. I'm not in either of those catagories unfortunately/fortunately.

Ran lucas for the last 10 years and, from someone who can 'feel' your double fabric softener sweatshirt on his tongue from 15' away... it needs to be flushed. Period. Significant difference between nute till chop and flushed/faded.

You may not taste it... your friends may not taste it... but it's a lower quality product and lab tests will back me up. At least use plain water as your add-back the last 2 weeks. No nute adds. You and yourn will be healthier for it and you'll use less nutes.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
You may not taste it... your friends may not taste it... but it's a lower quality product and lab tests will back me up. At least use plain water as your add-back the last 2 weeks. No nute adds. You and yourn will be healthier for it and you'll use less nutes.
Does this also make better tasting tomatoes w/flushing? Would those have more vitamins as well in a lab test? I also say it depends on what ppms or EC you've used your nutes at and what the plants need and take up. Drip Clean can also help w/salt buildup if you're having issues. So yes flushing at the end in hydro could help in certain cases. I change res weekly so I basically "flush" everything 12-16x per grow cycle (3-4 months).

Here's some info from Dyna-Gro:

25k1xea.jpg

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Okay I have not read all these threads but first let me say this about flushing.. When I flush the end of the nutes out of the bud I don't mean I take the water and fill the already wet plant with water or flush through with water. What I mean when I flush is during the last 2 weeks of the plants life I just give it water not fertilizers. If you pour a lot of water through the pot in many cases this puts the plants into a bit of shock . So what I do is I water slowly and all through the pot with just water and I keep this up till the water that does come out the bottom is less dark ..You never have to over water a plant and you never should either headband 707