What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Eastbay's 2016 NorCal Medical clone run backyard grow, 65gal smart pots

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Naw, they arent flowering.yet, they still got a few weeks before the stretch kicks in...

Plants starting to fill out thay 65gal., I got a cookie frost in a 20gal thats rootboind, I figure ill just cut the bottom off and drop it in top of an unplanted 65gal...

ForestBuds

We have almost the same set up. I use black and tan 65 gallon fabric pots. I'm surprised that you pulled 2.5 lbs off 45 gallon. That gives me high hope for my plants in 65 gallons. :woohoo:

Usually I see first hair on plants around August 15th. Just today I see 1 or 2 hair coming out of the plants on July 15th?!?. Looks like I will have an early harvest this year end of Sept or first week of October. Hope so to beat the first rain of summer/fall.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
We have almost the same set up. I use black and tan 65 gallon fabric pots. I'm surprised that you pulled 2.5 lbs off 45 gallon. That gives me high hope for my plants in 65 gallons. :woohoo:

Usually I see first hair on plants around August 15th. Just today I see 1 or 2 hair coming out of the plants on July 15th?!?. Looks like I will have an early harvest this year end of Sept or first week of October. Hope so to beat the first rain of summer/fall.

Thanks for commenting on the thread, hope you stick around :tiphat:

As far as the 2.5lbs from the 45gal last year, I wouldn't take that as gospel, i certainly dont expect more than 2lbs per 65gal. on my best plants in a well lite area on about 6' centers, thats with babying them with bottled nutes once they get rootbound and LOTS of support and caging, my average last year on plants in 45's was about prob a little under one pound... fire og just sucked compared to the other strains, yielded like shit and was half the garden, it turned out to be a great harvest though and vastly exceeded my expectations (gotta love outdoor)

I only got 2.5lbs because the 45gallon smart pot was 2/3 buried in the native dirt that was slightly amending with gypsum nd a handfull of kelp and whatever i felt like at the time (not much).. but it did give the roots a bit more space to blow out of the fabric pot and get all into that native soil (super clay though).... was a bute' though... made me fall in love with this strain.. glad i was able to go bigger with her this year... instead of one Cookie frost in a 45gal. i got x6 cookie frosts in minimum 65 gal. :)

Should be interesting come sept/oct, if the grow gods allow me to harvest... praying like a mad man ...

edit: earliest i remember seeing some flowering hairs was late July on a Trainwreck clone last year, that is by far the earliest flowering clone i have... none in the garden this year ,but still got some in the cloner getting ready..

Last edited:

ForestBuds

Been very busy staining and putting up redwood fence. Let me pull up a seat.

3450fmg.jpg

CSI Humboldt Underdog Urkle - Damn impressive growth and structure for a OG-Urkle hybrid.

Yes gotta love outdoor because I estimate that I am saving over $1,250 worth of electricity per month for 12 outdoor plants. My biggest plant above is measured at 6 feet wide and thankfully 5.5 feet high for now.

Should be interesting come sept/oct, if the grow gods allow me to harvest... praying like a mad man ...

Same here. Outdoor grows are risky. So many possibilities that can go wrong. Weather, rippers, Leos, fungus and bugs. So far good using spinosad and green cure as preventative. Hoping to get zero cats this year! Am praying to Ganja Gods right next to you for a safe successful harvest! :tiphat:

plantingplants

How many hours of sun do you get?

Re: royal truth and its cost... I just don't see how anyone could feel ok about charging so much for something. I guess I feel like genetics should be like art-- freely shared but with a culture that encourages donations to the originator. I get it though... If you spend time on something then you want to make a living off of it. But damn... just seems ridiculous to charge so much. Makes people seem like greedy hoarders. This is probably an unpopular opinion. Oh well.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
How many hours of sun do you get?

Re: royal truth and its cost... I just don't see how anyone could feel ok about charging so much for something. I guess I feel like genetics should be like art-- freely shared but with a culture that encourages donations to the originator. I get it though... If you spend time on something then you want to make a living off of it. But damn... just seems ridiculous to charge so much. Makes people seem like greedy hoarders. This is probably an unpopular opinion. Oh well.

I get good direct sun all day except a few hours right at sunrise prob like from 10am to ~6pm.. my last spot had sun ALL day.. that was nice..

there's still some good folks around who will freely share the high priced strains to get em to the masses (ie black lime reserve, dosidos, royal truth, ect.) its not all hording and nastyness, atleast ALOT better than 10 years ago.... NOW THAT WAS BAD, trying to get an OG cut got people hurt, firebombs and shit.. crazy world cali is...

And an fyi on the royal truth before RAS died he sold em for at $80 per 10pack of that and the royal kush (which afficiando sells now for $300)

now you can walk into one of the clone dispensaries in the bay area and choose from alot of the ELITES people drool over..

flowering out acouple royal truths in a 5x5 tent next week so i should have a nice representation of its a keeper for me with both outdoor and indoor runs completed... (thats is if im lucky enough to harvest them, dont count chickens)

plantingplants

Well shoot some of mine that get 10-6 or better started flowering. Don't know what's up with that.

That's cool there are people like that. I forgot his name but there's a guy out there who committed suicide after all the shit he went through after making almost all scientific papers available to the public. I'd love to have a donation based genetic library. Big warehouse of tissue cultures or something.

Never count your chickens, for real. And always cut your estimate in half :) lookin forward to seeing this royal truth!

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Well shoot some of mine that get 10-6 or better started flowering. Don't know what's up with that.

That's cool there are people like that. I forgot his name but there's a guy out there who committed suicide after all the shit he went through after making almost all scientific papers available to the public. I'd love to have a donation based genetic library. Big warehouse of tissue cultures or something.

Never count your chickens, for real. And always cut your estimate in half :) lookin forward to seeing this royal truth!

yeah i had a few clones start to flower early (black lime, dosidos, and a royal truth) but i chalked it up to having an inconsistent light cycle before taking them outside on March 27th (i did 16/8 but still they flowered), flowering can be induced by an excess of certain nutrients (Mg), even now i would pull em and double/tripple plant some clones.. but thats just me,,, Fuck that reveg shit, kills yield and stresses the plant beyond belief...

EastBayGrower

Veteran
here's some photos, ill edit later with an update...

garden shot from yesterday.. starting to stretch.. flower is coming :) gonna hit em with some high phos next week... started hitting em harder with the 4-4-4 fish ferts...

and some Cookie frost shots (platinum gsc x thin mint gsc, sativ pheno)

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Heres Stink bomb 4, it was a july replacement so its not gonna be the size of 3 but welwe'll see the quality, very similar to phenos 2 and 3 as far as growth structure in veg, strong indica dominant looking plants, good vigor thou

#edit wrong pic my bad#

And two Royal truth july replacements bith of which arestarting flower already :( ill give this clone another shot next year, well see the quality out and in to see if shes a keeper, def. Flowers eaisly outdoors..pain in the ass..

Heres Sour sunset 1 sour d x sunset sherbet, just blew up in the 30gal, lower leaves are showing N.def, just not enough soil...

I might just go all hulk on it and drop it in a larger pot 45-60 gals

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I think he meant more along the lines of you're having a party/dance party in your backyard with all those pretty ladies? :comfort:

redlaser

Veteran
I'd be surprised if that was meant in a negative way, although I can understand how you see it. That's a term I've barely heard of, only in the last couple years and I thought it was an older reference like homegrown use to have a bad name in the seventys and eightys generally.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I think he meant more along the lines of you're having a party/dance party in your backyard with all those pretty ladies? :comfort:

Yes. Thank you.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

I am from the bay born in oakland, 5th generation northern Californian

Geeesh

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Hi folks! sorry for the lack of updates this month (seems like i do that every year lol) shit gets busy round these parts (especially since i only see the plants once a week for 4-5 hours)... cleaning bottoms, trellis netting and tying up big branches to the cages... slowly but surely...

plants are doing just fine so far, i think they are really liking the cooler weather and are flowering hard :)

..now things get interesting....