What's new

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

krk

damnn here i thought i was gonna see some epic shots... ( I have made dry ice has before as well.. )

Bubble man

thats cause I have not made any yet...:dance013:

figures you wouldnt be happy with it...it doesent sell any bags... oh I mean you would sell only one bag...

C

Chamba

Well, I did not throw it away, so I'll try another run with it next week when I go back up for more dry ice.

that's good!

I ended out with 13.4 grams of very nice sand colored powder out of 3 ounces of chop/popcorn mix. I'm gonna buy a hash press and see if I can get it to compress together some. I've heard from some people to heat it to about 200 degrees or so and it'll stick together. We'll see.. I'll drop back in for a final report.

mgk

I'm of the opinion that if the dry sift cannot form into a solid within less than a minute's of kneading a gram or two of loose sift in your palm with thumb pressure then there's too much contaminant in there....use a magnifying glass to check it out prior to pressing, actually all hashers should use a magnifying glass or loupe to check out the material prior to working it, during and after on the what's above and below the screens, doing this will give you a deeper understanding of what it's all about.

I usually smoke my dry sift unpressed, I find it goes further and burns more evenly

C

Chamba

thats cause I have not made any yet...

figures you wouldnt be happy with it...it doesent sell any bags... oh I mean you would sell only one bag...

some people are into absolute purity, others are into maximum yield...the problem with dry sifting for maximum yield is that the end result is usually 3/4 full of trash that doesn't get you high..but it's not just that your hash will be mostly contaminant, the buzz from this type of hash just doesn't compare to smoking very pure dry sift that has been carefully and expertly made. And the buzz is what it's all about isn't it?. Very clean dry sift will zing your forehead, warm your ears and send thrills through your brain and body...while aggressively made dry sift from the same material will simply get you stoned or high, much the same as smoking the bud it came from, there's a big difference in the immediate blast, the impact, the height and thrill of the effects...once you have made and hit really pure dry sift, average stuff doesn't seem worth hitting anymore. Also keep in mind that 10 or 15 grams of aggressively made sift and 4 to 6 grams of very clean, pure sift contains the same amount of trichomes

..use a magnifying glass and you'll see what I mean. A 20X or 30X magnifying glass is the hasher's best assistant

Last edited:

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
Dry sifting with a Bubble bag looks like it works well, but why not place the Bubble bag into a large paper bag, then agitate it, so you can catch all the sifted material. ...shaking a Bubble Bag over a glass table will allow a small amount of the resin heads to fly away and end up on the floor...waste not, want not I say

it's not a small amount you can lose alot
Thats why i use tubs

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I just looked at my 'efforts' under a 80 power scope.. stuff looks awesome! just a jumble of trich heads and stalks.. I'm gonna have to get a macro camera.. I've been puffin on it all night.. totally stoned.. likin it more and more..

mgk :faint:

Herborizer

Veteran
My dry ice hash presses between my fingers. Smokes and feels fantastic. I have used a 160 micron and 220 micron bag. 160 might be a little better. The most important is to not go more than like 90 seconds for the first round. This is the best stuff. The rest of it great too.

Herborizer

Veteran
I just looked at my 'efforts' under a 80 power scope.. stuff looks awesome! just a jumble of trich heads and stalks.. I'm gonna have to get a macro camera.. I've been puffin on it all night.. totally stoned.. likin it more and more..

mgk :faint:

Yep. I believe this 100% and this is also my experience. There will always be naysayers to anything new.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
@Bubbleman

What about adding dry ice to your tumbler (that i own)?

Gotta figure its gonna keep the shit colder than just freezing and allowing it to thaw from friction and ambient temp...

C

Chamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardG_Krebs

mgk
Yep. I believe this 100% and this is also my experience. There will always be naysayers to anything new.

Using a fine screen is not new..
If a 75 micron screen works for the type of plant material you are sifting, then by all mean, use it, the secret is to match the screen hole opening size to a little bit larger than a majority of the large size resin heads...if a vast majority of the resin heads fit through the 75 micron mesh, then it's ideal, if there's heaps of resin heads still mixed in with the plant material, then try sifting it with a mesh that has larger openings.

...but also make sure to not just check out the end result with a magnification, check out the plant material that's above the screen too and let us know what you see.

to take it to the next level (of purity) try this MGK....gently sift your plant material with a 105 micron mesh, then work this sift through a 75 micron mesh..emphasis on gently.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

@Bubbleman

What about adding dry ice to your tumbler (that i own)?

Gotta figure its gonna keep the shit colder than just freezing it like normal...

I own a Tumble Now, but haven't used it with dry ice....but since it's made from wood and metal, I can't see why there's no reason why you couldn't use pre-frozen plant material with crushed dry ice inside the stainless steel mesh cylinder..try it and tell us all how it works

C

Chamba

I have used a 160 micron and 220 micron bag. 160 might be a little better.

and then you say (in reference to my comment about using a 70 micron mesh)

??? I'm confused here (and it wouldn't be the first time!)...you use and recommend a 160 mesh and that works for you and then you say that using a 70 micron screen shouldn't be knocked

two things are for sure....(a gentle) technique is far more important to a quality end result than mesh size (providing it matches the plant material)...a gentle sift with a 160 micron mesh can produce better quality than by aggressive sifting with a 125 micron mesh.

and it's been my experience that there's larger amount of mature trichomes on just about all modern hybrid strains I've grown are greater in size than 70 micron...sure there can be lots of resin heads under that size, but going by the high, the best are above..I find the best resin heads for most strains are trapped in between 85 and 110 micron meshes

Herborizer

Veteran
Chamba, much respect as I know you are very knowledgable, but have not referenced and/or quoted your posts on this thread.

C

Chamba

Chamba, much respect as I know you are very knowledgable, but have not referenced and/or quoted your posts on this thread.

.I'm wrong again, thanks for setting me straight Herbalizer..

??? I'm confused here (and it wouldn't be the first time!).

ditto on above! lol

I just got back from a walk with my dog.....doesn't shit happen when you least expect it!. My dog was leashed and cruising along beside me and I saw two big fat Labs up ahead circling around their owner about 40 yards ahead. I saw they were males, but thought I would just keep a wide berth and all would be ok.......well, one came running at my dog, so I waved my thin bamboo stick in front on him as I kept my dog close to me on a short leash, but the lab got aggro and was about to bite my dog, so I gave it a couple of light taps on his nose with my bamboo stick to get his mind right, all their fucking owner did was stand there 25 yards away trying to call them back which nothing, then the other dog came in to attack and they both had tunnel vision and were on attack mode, so I lashed out at the closest one and gave him 3 or 4 whacks on the front of his chest and one on the his nose, he pulled back and then the other Lab came in snarling at me so I gave him a 3 or 4 hard hits on his head and back, then pulled my dog away......that fucking owner should have had his dogs leashed (that's the law here and dogs that size have to be muzzled, but no one does)...

I walk my mutt every day and sudden unexpected shit like this happens about once a month and although my dog is a medium sized male dog , he's not an aggressive animal at all and gets cut up and whipped in just about every fight he's been in....next time I'll shout ahead for the owner to leash his dogs, if any dogs come near me I won't wait around for them to attack, I'll just coming in swinging.

arrgghhh, one minute I'm just cruising along in a daze enjoying nature and the fresh air, next second all shit breaks loose and it's on..... life is like that isn't it

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I own a Tumble Now, but haven't used it with dry ice....but since it's made from wood and metal, I can't see why there's no reason why you couldn't use pre-frozen plant material with crushed dry ice inside the stainless steel mesh cylinder..try it and tell us all how it works

I plan on it tomorrow. Already googled a place for dry ice, and with it being Halloween weekend there will be no questions. I have a fair deal of trim to process.

It would look BAD ASS if it sublimated real fast, and it looked like the spinning cylinder was 'smoking', but there probably wont be as much effect as the cartoon madness im dreaming of.

What should dry ice cost, and for about how much (like a 'house brick' shaped piece is $5)?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
just got quoted $1.50/lb.

Ive had a large brown paper bag(3/4 full of trim) sitting in front of my dehumidifier all night, about to go pick up some solid CO2, then run my tumbler.

Herborizer

Veteran
just got quoted $1.50/lb.

Ive had a large brown paper bag(3/4 full of trim) sitting in front of my dehumidifier all night, about to go pick up some solid CO2, then run my tumbler.

The key is not to over weight the tumbler, since there will be dry ice in it now. It wont want to spin.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
The key is not to over weight the tumbler, since there will be dry ice in it now. It wont want to spin.

There are plans on this site for making tumblers. One just has to make them rigid enough for whatever weight they are going to be applying, including dry ice. The whole idea of using dry ice is much better when the ice is broken up and covers more surface area of the trim. Faster anyway.

C

Chamba

Here's a really fast, cheap and easy way to make a tumbler.

get a large size, brand new paint tin or medium sized plastic bucket,

cut "windows" in the sides...the windows should be as large as possible, while still maintaining the rigidity of the cylinder

cover the window openings with 125 lines per inch mesh (approximately equivalent to 120 micron mesh), then glue it on, when dry trim off the excess mesh.

make a central hole in the lid and base of the cylinder, force fit a wooden or metal rod through the two holes.

sit the two ends of the rod on the top edges of a rubbermaid plastic container (or other type of box) with the mesh cylinder sitting half inside the box.

add plant material and then hand turn the crank

= ghetto tumbler

S

Señor Chang

I have an older and well used O'kief tumbler with the 120 lpi stainless screen.
I added the equivalent of 6-8 ice cubes worth of dry ice to a couple of oz of mostly dry trim.
I ran the tumbler for 30 min and got a lot of blonde powder down below.
It works well.
I'd go as far as to say it is better use of the tumbler versus not using dry ice.

Latest posts

Latest posts