What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
that makes sense. also it's easier to use chunks of hash as a form of currency like ricky from trailer park boys :D

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Well when I did my first batch of "dry ice method", I got two nice piles. One very sandy colored brown, and the other with a green hue.

Under a 45 power magnifier, I saw *almost* no plant matter particulates at all. Very very clean. (I shook it over 120 micron). However, no matter how much I work it in my hands, it still stays sandy like flour. This makes me think that maybe what bubbleman is saying has some truth to it.

I had a thought.. what about doing a QWISO wash through a coffee filter with it? It would take FAR less alcohol than a traditional wash so it would be much more efficient. The last leg of filtering would/should get out the rest of the impurities in the glands themselves.

or so I was thinking.. anyone have any thoughts on it? I made pucks out of most of my run but left a few grams in powder that I could still try it out with.

Great post, St3ve. Glad to hear someone else is thinking like I am. I basically got the following idea by reading jump's thread, which I highly recommend to people who are interested in this take some to read. Lots of good info in that thread and jump really knows his extractions.

Anyway, I did something similar to what you're describing recently as an experiment. The main differences being: I used bubble hash for the starting material and everclear as my solvent.

I dissolved a pinch of bubble in some ethanol (everclear) and poured it through a coffee filter placed over a pyrex dish. I then put the pyrex dish into a warm cast iron pan with a little bit of water in it (warm water bath, basically) and let the liquid material evaporate until I was left with a just thin film on the dish.

I then scraped the pyrex dish and came out with amber. It basically liquified when I put too much flame to it, but I managed to get a decent hit before it melted into the screen and went bye bye.

If I had a ti-curve, I would have used that instead.

Anyway, it smoked much smoother than the bubble did. The high was basically the same, but the smoke was definitely smoother. Also, there wasn't much loss in weight compared to what I started with, so that's promising as well. Still have to do a larger batch to see if it really works or not, but it looks promising.

I'll be trying this again with anything I get from the dry ice method. I'm hoping the results will be similar.

HB.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
here's what my full melt bubble hash looks like for comparison:

picture.php

mendo420

Veteran
I finaly made some dry-ice hash!!

I finaly made some dry-ice hash!!

I have a picture comparison between dry-ice and bubble.

I used a 5 gal iceburg 160 bag for the dry ice sift and 20 gal bubble bags for the bubble. 100gm of small buds were used and I got 9gm . I was very surprised that each yield about the same.

IMO the bubble is better. Taste is better and its easy to store and smoke. I may re-sift the dry but would rather spend my time making more bubble. Enjoy the pics!

:crazy:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=34461

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a picture comparison between dry-ice and bubble.

I used a 5 gal iceburg 160 bag for the dry ice sift and 20 gal bubble bags for the bubble. 100gm of small buds were used and I got 9gm . I was very surprised that each yield about the same.

IMO the bubble is better. Taste is better and its easy to store and smoke. I may re-sift the dry but would rather spend my time making more bubble. Enjoy the pics!

:crazy:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=34461

Nicely done and presented bro!

webehi

Do you guys think dry trim really freezes in the freezer. It seems like the water in things is what helps them freeze and stay frozen. Its a good place to store trim and probably helps freezedry it, but it seems my bone dry trim is room temperature within 30 seconds of taking it out. Also I read somewhere that bubblehash is cleaner because the contaminants float and the heavy resin sinks. Thing is I never heard of anyone dumping 3/4 of the water off the top and straining the rest. Wouldn't that allow any contaminants to pass through the screen with the trichromes provided they are the same size. And why couldnt plant matter and contaminants break down to the same size through constant agitation? Also I know its human nature to refine things to get to the concentrated source(white flour and white rice are great), but when we take something like the opium poppy made perfect by god and isolate one alkoloid while removing twenty some odd others we are left with heroin. I know the resin glands contain all the active elements and the rest is all inert so its not really compareable, but i have heard recent reports of people experiencing episodes of psychosis after years of consuming ultra high THC BHO extractives. This came from a friend who works at a dispensary so it could very well be BS. If not I'm sure we'll hear more from verified sources in the near future. Another reason I shun superefining is because I love smoking weed and good hash is a treat. If I smoked your 99.9% I would become a spoiled pot snob and consider everything else trash.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
but when we take something like the opium poppy made perfect by god and isolate one alkoloid while removing twenty some odd others we are left with heroin.

Actually, heroin is not naturally found in opium- it is an acetate of morphine...

Do you guys think dry trim really freezes in the freezer. It seems like the water in things is what helps them freeze and stay frozen. Its a good place to store trim and probably helps freezedry it, but it seems my bone dry trim is room temperature within 30 seconds of taking it out. Also I read somewhere that bubblehash is cleaner because the contaminants float and the heavy resin sinks. Thing is I never heard of anyone dumping 3/4 of the water off the top and straining the rest. Wouldn't that allow any contaminants to pass through the screen with the trichromes provided they are the same size. And why couldnt plant matter and contaminants break down to the same size through constant agitation? Also I know its human nature to refine things to get to the concentrated source(white flour and white rice are great), but when we take something like the opium poppy made perfect by god and isolate one alkoloid while removing twenty some odd others we are left with heroin. I know the resin glands contain all the active elements and the rest is all inert so its not really compareable, but i have heard recent reports of people experiencing episodes of psychosis after years of consuming ultra high THC BHO extractives. This came from a friend who works at a dispensary so it could very well be BS. If not I'm sure we'll hear more from verified sources in the near future. Another reason I shun superefining is because I love smoking weed and good hash is a treat. If I smoked your 99.9% I would become a spoiled pot snob and consider everything else trash.

wow, lots to say here in one big paragraph. i'm sure i'll forget to respond to something, but here goes...

when you freeze, it is not just the leaf you are freezing but the oils in the trichomes, which allows them to be easily removed from the pliable leaf portion of the plant. freezing cuts the mixing time at least in half, which minimizes contamination.

and yes, intense agitation does contaminate with unwanted green etc. it is the reason i leave plant material whole and prefer wooden spoon hash or minimally kitchen aid hash done with a paddle or dough hook.

i have been making and taking concentrates since the point in time that i no longer got high, about ten years ago (but i'm old and been smoking forty years). if you are young and smoke any amount, your time will come.

i use concentrates......

so that i am not married to a pipe,
so i can walk with three hits,
to save my throat and lungs,
to medicate in public!
to eliminate pain not possible by smoking,

i'm sure i could add more if i thought about it for long.

i don't consider everything else trash.....i just don't prefer ash.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Holy shit!! Fuck that tumbler I made...it is going in the trash!!
I made a half pound of kief this afternoon using dry ice!!
Here are some pics from earlier...I am 100% sold on this method!!

Herborizer

Veteran
Holy shit!! Fuck that tumbler I made...it is going in the trash!!
I made a half pound of kief this afternoon using dry ice!!
Here are some pics from earlier...I am 100% sold on this method!!

Dry ice in a tumbler for a 1-2 punch. Load everything in, flip the switch take first batch at 60-90 seconds. Take 2nd batch in 5 mins. Take last batch in 15-20 mins. No back pain.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Dry ice in a tumbler for a 1-2 punch. Load everything in, flip the switch take first batch at 60-90 seconds. Take 2nd batch in 5 mins. Take last batch in 15-20 mins. No back pain.

The problem is, my motor only gives me like 2-3 RPM's...I can do it with 3 minutes of flipping my wrist!!! lol--

webehi

back to the 80% contaminant. If you can expect about a 20% return on some good sugar trim isn't 80% contaminant your starting point? also I was wondering how the bubbleator and other mini washers haven't made the manual method obsolete. I think I've seen them since 2005 and they seem to work good and really aren't that expensive. Agitating and draining by hand is tedious and messy. I guess maybe those green pucks some pages back could be 80% contaminant, they look like hippie soap.

gibbster

Im going to test this method but I whant to try it with just 1 bag what micron size bag should I go for? was thinking about 160? or should I go down size?

best regards
P

Fibber_Magees

Veteran
Hi, nice Hashes and Stuff ^^

One question: If I wanna make dry Ice Hash from Outdoorplants, which micronsize would be the most usefull?. I was told, that trichomes growing on Outdoorplants are much smaller than Indoorgrown Weed. So I thougt a sieve between 90-100 micron would be ok. I want my Hash to be similar to the more creamy moroccan types of hash. It doesent have to be exectly like it, but similar. Im not really that experienced with making hash, so any information or knowledge about that?

jump /injack

Veteran
Volcano and fine screen

Volcano and fine screen

Has anyone used the fine screen on their Volcano? I have a health problem and would rather vaporize the hash than any other way. Haven't seen any posts from people that have been consuming it this way but the fine screen made for the Volcano Vape seems just the size necessary. Anyone have any ideas what the dosage would be, anyone tried it?

methias

If you want cold

If you want cold

OK.. 2 frisbee shaped items only made out of stainless steel.. on the bottom of one, have a screen mesh that would hold in the dry ice.. an opposing device of the same shape with an opening of 1/2 the size of the disk.. the appropriate size mesh for sifting the goods applied to the opening to hold in the goods. put dry ice in the top part and your goods in the half with the mesh opening and somehow fasten the 2 of them together.. then attach that whole thing to a paint shaker and shake the piss out of it.. (or maybe something gentler).. just thinking..

mgk :tiphat:

Never done it but I have seen posts, possibly here, of liquid nitrogen extraction.

Edit,
Here is a link to it
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5001496
End Edit.

They dip the bud in the nitrogen, put it on the screen and shake.

A bit dangerous and should be done with someone experienced with liquid nitrogen, but no water, no rocks (dry ice), super low temperature that knocks the trikes right off.

Not trying to hijack the post,
If you want cold that looked like the way:tiphat:.

Careful,

Vape on kids

Last edited: