What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

C

Chamba

Also the mesh is like a wavy ripple pattern looks just perfect for trichome heads to pass through and nothing else it's a pretty interesting little pattern they call "Optimesh Technology". Might be just what we have been looking for

speaking about mesh opening shapes.....I haven't tried mesh with rectangle shaped openings, but in theory, this should work better for re-sieving the rough kif you get from aggressive dry ice sifting (or any sifting for that matter). If you use a 125 mesh for the initial sifting, then try re-sifting this kif over a 70 micron mesh so the smaller than 70 micron contaminant passes through and the resin heads remain on top (the width of the opening could be eg 70 micron and the length of the opening could be much longer). As we've seen in the close up photos of dry ice sifting, the majority of the "resin" consists of stalks (which don't get you high) The rectangle shaped openings should assist in allowing the resin head stalks to more easily pass through the mesh. But shaking alone won't do it, you will need to card the resin over the mes, use the lift and drop method &/or use a vaccuum.

Happy Sifting

L

LouDog420

What about silk screen meshes like those used for T shirt printing??

These can be sourced cheap in square yard sections from ebay and the like

C

Chamba

some screen printing meshes are very fine, too fine for single screen sifting..while others are ok.....the best mesh for single screen sifting is a 110 ~ 140 "mesh", I prefer a 125 "mesh" ("Mesh" in the USA refers to the number of threads per inch)...or use 120 ~ 145 micron mesh.

Lots of dry icers use 150 or 160 micron mesh (or 100 threads per inch mesh) which allows too much broken up plant matter to pass through the mesh......that's part of the reason that lots of "resin" is produced in a short amount of time, the problem is that a high % of what is yielded is non-active rubbish which dulls the high and lessens the impact

if a 100 mesh is all you have, then use it..gently

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Lots of dry icers use 150 or 160 micron mesh (or 100 threads per inch mesh) which allows too much broken up plant matter to pass through the mesh......that's part of the reason that lots of "resin" is produced in a short amount of time, the problem is that a high % of what is yielded is non-active rubbish which dulls the high and lessens the impact

i was unaware that adding any material to cannabanoids could DULL the high. :dunno:

C

Chamba

Saying that contaminants dull the high is probably the wrong way to describe it. I find the difference between getting hot ears and that zing to the forehead...as opposed to simply getting buzzed is the purity of the dry sift (from the same plant). Nothing hits quite like triple sifted, melty, blond dry sift

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let me jump in and say this, some strains have different size trichome heads and some have short little tiny stalks while others are very long. Your mesh that works best for you is going to really have alot to do with the material you are working with and the shape & size of the trichomes that is another element to this art that cannot be left out or forgotten about because one size does not fit all with hash making. :canabis:

TripleDraw27

Veteran
i am going to do this, this weekend!

halloween is coming, lots of places sell Dry Ice at this time of the year. fired up!

Dry ice is sold in lots of places. You know those Halloween costume shops? I was curious to see if they carried it, just cause its part of their gig. Parties, fog, oo la la. Anyways, they sell it as well. Im not sure about the peeps that cant find it, but maybe give one of those places a ring.

S

Señor Chang

Has anyone tried this in a tumbler?
I've some fresh trim that may love this technique!

I am not sure this is a good idea, I never tried to make hash.

I was thinking if one used dry ice as you guys do, then wash it with water, would you get a pure form of hash. Or is this not good because the dry ice would make a fine powder of the plant and much of it would run through the screen.

Someone posted the pictures of a 73 vs a 220 screen, and the 73 is very clean, if you ran water through that screen, would you end up with more trichome heads, or would that just make mess?

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
I am not sure this is a good idea, I never tried to make hash.

I was thinking if one used dry ice as you guys do, then wash it with water, would you get a pure form of hash. Or is this not good because the dry ice would make a fine powder of the plant and much of it would run through the screen.

Someone posted the pictures of a 73 vs a 220 screen, and the 73 is very clean, if you ran water through that screen, would you end up with more trichome heads, or would that just make mess?

I wash out the tubs i shake into and then drain into a 20 micron bubblebag.
this last stuff comes out like conventional water hash.

Thank you.

I guess thats the game plan, ill pick up a 73 and a 20. i will have lots of frosty trim to put in a 73 to dry shake, and the rest ill pour water over a 20.

cant wait! :jump:

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man 20 micron is so tiny some of the resin heads on my trim won't even fit through that I don't think. Been making some dry sift with 100 mesh screen which is like 150-160 micron and it's coming out absolutely awesome and clean pure golden trichy goodness. As long as you don't rub everything too hard or rough this size works great for dry sifting. Presses really nice into perfect aromatic blonde hash patties and burns perfectly clean & tastes delicious :biggrin:

Of course dry sift is not bubble and all but it's a nice tasty classic hashish with a wonderful full spectrum but very clean clear buzz :joint:

J

juicepuddle

Keeping and eye on this thread, you guys are surprising me with some of the end product you come out with! I may indeed eat my words about dry ice hash one day if you guys can refine your method a bit maybe?

Thanks for sharing everyone good read!

Man 20 micron is so tiny some of the resin heads on my trim won't even fit through that I don't think. Been making some dry sift with 100 mesh screen which is like 150-160 micron and it's coming out absolutely awesome and clean pure golden trichy goodness. As long as you don't rub everything too hard or rough this size works great for dry sifting. Presses really nice into perfect aromatic blonde hash patties and burns perfectly clean & tastes delicious :biggrin:

Of course dry sift is not bubble and all but it's a nice tasty classic hashish with a wonderful full spectrum but very clean clear buzz :joint:

isnt that the point of using the 20 micron?, to catch the resin as I pour water through it.

The water after a couple of good dry shakes on a 73 micron that is ofcourse.

sotf, got any grapefruit/breeding projects coming along?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
If you don't use any bigger than 73u, you are going to be missing a lot of material.

For the last couple of runs, I did a short shake with 73 for quality, then longer with 160 for quantity. Seemed a good compromise...

If you don't use any bigger than 73u, you are going to be missing a lot of material.

For the last couple of runs, I did a short shake with 73 for quality, then longer with 160 for quantity. Seemed a good compromise...

this does seem to be the issue as i understand it in these pages, but that is why i would like to pour water through after the shake, wouldnt that recover the left overs?

C

Chamba

Mature dried resin head diameters of most modern hybrids/strains range from 75 ~ 110 micron......so when dry sifting, use a 110 ~ 140 micron mesh for best results.

Using a 73 micron mesh will leave most of the best resin heads above the mesh and what passes through will be immature heads. Using a 160 will allow most of the resin heads to pass through the mesh, but also will allow way too much broken up plant matter through too...a good compromise is a 125 mesh.

check out one of ICmag's sponsors : Aqualabtech for Bubblebags and dry sifting screens...they also sell an excellent book that every dry sifter should own, R.C Clarke's "Hashish!"

Happy Hashing!

Latest posts

Latest posts