What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I tried a 73 bag, didn't get much. now I use a 110 bag for 1st run, 160 for 2nd run

making bubble is such a huge pain in the ass with disappointing return, this dry ice method is revolutionary

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

this is all good 110, several different strains
picture.php

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Here is what I have left from my little run. I did not reread this thread before I made mine and I thought it was a 220 bag I should use so mine has a bit o' the green in it.

picture.php

picture.php

C

Chamba

Dry sifting with a Bubble bag looks like it works well, but why not place the Bubble bag into a large paper bag, then agitate it, so you can catch all the sifted material. ...shaking a Bubble Bag over a glass table will allow a small amount of the resin heads to fly away and end up on the floor...waste not, want not I say

I haven't tried dry sifting with Bubble Bags, but maybe try placing the plant material (frozen or with dry ice) in the 125 micron bag, then place this bag in a 25 micron bag, then shake? Make sure there's a 3 or 4 inch gap between the bottom of the 125 and the 25 bag.

FUK - Called over 20 places looking for dry ice, walmarts, grocery stores, beer dist, ice cream, etc, etc, with no luck.

Googled for hours & the stuff is very hard to find. Asked all the people & they had no ideas.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
that's terrible.. ^^^^

do you live in a rural area?

i do and i can even find dry ice within 20 mins...

bubbleman

Veteran
damnn here i thought i was gonna see some epic shots... ( I have made dry ice has before as well.. ) However with that said.. i dont see a real quality in making hash this way?
sure you are making the resin brittle and but its coming off full of capitate stalks and cystolith hairs..
Now when someone has some dry ice hash that looks like this.. we've got something

I mean i made that with just good ole fashion ice ( free from your FREEzer) and water.. and of course my bubblebags...

My two cents
On dry Ice Hash.... now if it was making epicly clean hash.. great.. but just getting the resin brittle enough.. isnt enough to making killer hash.. you have to remove the contaminant that you've extracted from the plant matter and seperate it out from the actual RESIN.

Bubble man

M

mugenbao

@Bubbleman - That looks epic for sure, amazing stuff no doubt about it. Having said that, I'm fairly well pleased with my dry ice hash, even as far below your standards as that might be :D

Thanks for the input.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I'm thinking something like a large glass or ceramic baking pan would work well, the ones with the deeper sides.

Anyone have some quick goto sources for proper larger mesh sizes from readily available materials? I know I have seen mention of them in the past and reason I ask is I have some bubble bags right now but only the very small micron sizes. Need some bigger mesh what can be used that is easy to find without ordering a new set? :tiphat:

Silk screening places usually have an assortment of screen meshes..

mgk :tiphat:

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
There is no source of dry ice around me anywhere. I have searched up and down. The closest store i have found is over an hour away.

I do have a co2 tank with an on off valve that i used for paintball.. is there someway i can make dry ice with that?

I was thinking about doing it a lot like oil. instead of butane, blow co2 through the trimmings and then a screen?

Try your local welding supply house. I thought I was going to have to drive a long distance to get dry ice. I just got off the phone with our local welding supply house and they said they did not stock it, but did make it to order. I told her I only needed a small quantity and she assumed I wanted it for halloween decoration... I just agreed.. she then told me they usually had a few small blocks around and to call ahead and if they didn't have any made, they would just make some for me... NICE!!!

High74

Executive Branch Genetics
Veteran
im loving this thread... I cant wait to try my hand at some dry ice hash woot woot

keep the info coming ;)

Several hours later I found some :)

Had to drive an hr each way but it came from a place that sells gases. Like propane, natural gas, etc, there were BIG tanks around the store.

They make it for you when they get a call for some. $2.50 lb

Got 10lbs of dry ice, brand new set of four 5gal origonal Bubble Bags & several lbs of trim / outdoor popcorn.

ITS ON....

* Ill get some pics :)

jd4083

Veteran
I'm thinking something like a large glass or ceramic baking pan would work well, the ones with the deeper sides.

Anyone have some quick goto sources for proper larger mesh sizes from readily available materials? I know I have seen mention of them in the past and reason I ask is I have some bubble bags right now but only the very small micron sizes. Need some bigger mesh what can be used that is easy to find without ordering a new set? :tiphat:

I have no idea the micron size, and no clue if it would work for this, but I have used permanent coffee filters for quite a while when making QWET/QWISO/acetone h/o and it seems to be the perfect size to allow the maximum amount of trichs through while leaving out all the foreign matter. May be something you could use in a pinch at least. for what it's worth I've used both the permanent filters with what appears to be copper mesh (or at least copper-colored mesh) as well as the plastic/nylon mesh perm coffee filters, both seem to work equally well. just my 02c

Don Dump

Veteran
right on Tac, good luck with your hash. I got my dry ice at place called praxair, sounds like thats where you went. they have stores across NA I think?

I used a couple handfuls of ice per 100g

Don Dump

Veteran
can get APE screens from aqua lab tech, 220, 180, 130 or 90

can also buy individual bags like mine for $25 each, or a whole set for around $90

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Well.. I went to the welding supply place today and got 5 1 pound blocks of dry ice for 2 buks a pound. A really cool guy actually let me watch while he 'made' the bricks. He hooked up this box with vents on the side and a relief valve on the top. This was all hooked to a special co2 tanks and he hit the valve.. it steamed and hissed for about 2 minutes and then the relief valve popped. He then undid the box and out popped a perfect 1 pound brick of dry ice.. he did that till I had 5.. he only charged me for 4. I lollie gagged back home thru the mountains.. nice afternoon fall drive.. Got home and went right to work. Weighed 1 ounce of chop/popcorn and put it in a 75 micron bag with 1 of the bricks, broken up. I put the bag and all in the cooler with the other 4 blocks and let it set for 15 minutes. I then pulled the bag out and started shaking it over a VERY clean glass framed picture. Then I shook it a LOT more.. I'd say about 10 minutes.. I then took a thin plastic scraper and worked from the outside in and scooped it all in a big pile.. it was 4 grams of very fine sand colored powder. I repeated the procedure with a 2nd ounce and got 4.7 grams. My 3rd is in the cooler right now and that's all the chop I've got that's dry right now.. I must say.. I'm not particularly impressed with the smell of the product.. it's almost odorless. The taste (yes, I already sampled) is very mild, but distinctly 'hashy'. I took 3 good hits of it right before dinner.. and definitely got a major buzz off it. Well, dinner's done and I've got another bag to shake.. The instant gratification of this process is major for me. The yeild is nice for the effort. I'm hoping the aroma/flavor profile takes a major league jump when I do my next run which is going to be with much higher quality chop that is a LOT fresher..

C

Chamba

Got home and went right to work. Weighed 1 ounce of chop/popcorn and put it in a 75 micron bag with 1 of the bricks, broken up.

75 micron bag?????? I hope you haven't thrown away the starting material as a lot of the (best, mature, larger than 75 micron diameter sized) resin heads will still be there! With most strains, a majority of the trichomes range in size from 70 ~ 110 micron and these offer the most complex and strongest highs (compared to 25 ~ 70 micron resin)...which is why Bubbleman's, BUbble Bags,the Tumble Now, the Bubble Box and his set of 4 x dry sifting screens are designed to isolate this size (+ 70 micron) range of trichomes/resin heads.

unless you harvested a 10 week strain at week 6, you will get 2 or more times the yield of resin by using a 110 ~ 135 micron mesh. A 75 micron bag will only allow the small immature resin heads to pass through, a mesh with wider openings will allow most of the resin heads through.

dry ice chunks......anyone tried grinding the dry ice down to snow flake size or a coarse powder? sifting with it this way you should help keep the plant material frozen without large blocks pulverizing it and introducing lots of broken up powdered leaf.....but I guess the dry ice in this state will evaporate quickly, but it's worth a try.

Happy Sifting!

Last edited:

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Got home and went right to work. Weighed 1 ounce of chop/popcorn and put it in a 75 micron bag with 1 of the bricks, broken up.

75 micron bag?????? I hope you haven't thrown away the starting material as a lot of the (best, mature, larger than 75 micron diameter sized) resin heads will still be there! With most strains, a majority of the trichomes range in size from 70 ~ 110 micron and these offer the most complex and strongest highs (compared to 25 ~ 70 micron resin)...which is why Bubbleman's, BUbble Bags,the Tumble Now, the Bubble Box and his set of 4 x dry sifting screens are designed to isolate this size (+ 70 micron) range of trichomes/resin heads.

unless you harvested a 10 week strain at week 6, you will get 2 or more times the yield of resin by using a 110 ~ 135 micron mesh. A 75 micron bag will only allow the small immature resin heads to pass through, a mesh with wider openings will allow most of the resin heads through.

dry ice chunks......anyone tried grinding the dry ice down to snow flake size or a coarse powder? sifting with it this way you should help keep the plant material frozen without large blocks pulverizing it and introducing lots of broken up powdered leaf.....but I guess the dry ice in this state will evaporate quickly, but it's worth a try.

Happy Sifting!

Well, I did not throw it away, so I'll try another run with it next week when I go back up for more dry ice. I ended out with 13.4 grams of very nice sand colored powder out of 3 ounces of chop/popcorn mix. I'm gonna buy a hash press and see if I can get it to compress together some. I've heard from some people to heat it to about 200 degrees or so and it'll stick together. We'll see.. I'll drop back in for a final report.

Latest posts

Latest posts