What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
I am talking about the Capitate stalks and cystolith hairs.. they almost look glandular to the naked eye.. but if you look at at it with a scope it will look alot like this

this photo is at least 50 to 75% contaminant.. ie what we are looking for is PURE heads....

something more along the lines of this...

99.999% HEADS

Im just saying your all worth having the BEST... So why not clean that shit up... get rid of the green.. and the majority of the non active material and smoke just the medicinals...

my two cents

Bubble man
Yeah,have to agree.Those green pucks looked like mostly plant material,way too bright neon green.Doing the Dry Ice Method,when its shaken n starts to come out green like that bright,me personnaly i would stop shaking.That cant taste good,imo.:ying:When doing it that way,do the first shake in one pile,start the next one in a different pile and if it starts to come out green,stop.

bs0

So far i have not been impressed with the quality of the dry ice method at all... it seems as though people are not understanding when you lose the water as your transfer chamber.. you end up with 80% contaminant in your final product that shouldnt be there..
Great for qauntity.. but a fatal blow to qaulity..
my two cents

Bubble man

80%? bah. That's so much conjecture it's not even funny. It's a flat out lie.

Where would this 'contaminant' come from? And how would using water as a medium get rid of it? If you're using the same sieve with the same material it's just not possible. If the product would have trichome heads + stems in one method it will in the other as well, water does not change the size of the sieve. That's just simple geometry.

(for that matter, on your image of "99.999% pure", I can see a number of "contaminants".. and there is no way that you have 1 unit contaminant to 1 billion units pure. That's what 99.999% means.)

Don't get me wrong, you have produced a pretty picture, but I smoke my hash. Not take pictures of it. And this is the most efficient and time conservative method I have done. I've only tried gravity suspension, bubble bags, sifting, and now this though, so I'm not any sort of expert.

Perhaps you should start a thread called 'pure bubble hash water extraction' and post about it there rather than thread-jacking with conjecture and hyperbole? I would like to read it, but for me, this method is the perfect balance of ease and efficiency.

And with that, I'm about to smoke a bowl of it and be happily stoned... 'contaminants' or not.

C

Chamba

80%? bah. That's so much conjecture it's not even funny. It's a flat out lie.

Where would this 'contaminant' come from? And how would using water as a medium get rid of it?

The contaminant comes from how easily and quickly frozen plant material disintegrates into powder adding to your "yield" but lowering potency (and most importantly, the impact of the high......and also note that there is only X amount of resin on the plant material, the only reason (with all things being equal) that one method yields more is due to contaminant.

the Bubble Bag ice water and dry sifting techniques are different is many ways....the former relies more on density (heavier, denser resin heads sink faster than plant material does) and the latter relies on particle size (the size of the mesh openings and the degree of agitation affects what passes through the mesh)

(for that matter, on your image of "99.999% pure", I can see a number of "contaminants".. and there is no way that you have 1 unit contaminant to 1 billion units pure. That's what 99.999% means.)

If memory serves me correct, I first coined the term "99.999%" when I first saw pics of Sam's dry sift....perhaps it should be called 99.9%?...anyway, whatever you call it, it is a lot purer than anything I've seen. Anyway, getting back to dry ice, I still think that a very pure result is possible with the right technique with dry ice...one thing is for sure is that by vigorously shaking bags of trim with rocks of dry ice is not the way. Has anyone tried vibration with a 125 micron Bubble Bag or a really gentle drum tap tap tap on a 125 mesh flat screen with dry ice? Has anyone tried re-sifting with dry ice? Unfortunately I don't have access to dry ice (or plant material) at the moment, otherwise I'd be working at it.

Here's another idea - working on the fact that the beauty of dry ice is that it helps maintain keeping the plant material (and the resin heads) frozen during sifting and the downside is that the pieces (or rocks) of dry ice only help pulverize the plant material ..perhaps by rigging a slab of dry ice above the (flat screen) mesh that's close to the plant material and also set up another slab of dry ice just underneath the mesh and vibrate the frame (but not the slabs of dry ice)...this will keep the plant material frozen without powdering the leaves which will produce a much purer result than by the dry ice rock pulverization method?

And with that, I'm about to smoke a bowl of it and be happily stoned... 'contaminants' or not.

Good idea, next time how about smoking that bowl before you post, not after...lol

Last edited:

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
:tiphat:^^^^^^Im sayin.It might get you high,but those green pucks had to be atleast 80% or so contaminent.It looked almost like pulverized leaf formed into a puck.Ive seen some sweet resin pulled from some and soso from others,the yeild looks great too.I think there can be good Trichs pulled from the Dry Ice method no doubt.But you have to be careful and gentle when doing it and know when to quit i think.I wonder how using a little fresher n not bone dry trim would do_Or resifting with a smaller mesh just to clean it up a bit.Like runnin it through a Bubblebox afterwards.Just my thoughts.But seein how its a somewhat newer way to go as far as Water and Kif Box extractions go,it will get better as time and trial and error go by.And with that,im makin some Bubble Hash tommarow lol.But i will be tryin some dry ice extractions with the 120 in the near future.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed:wave:

hammalamma

Veteran
I am talking about the Capitate stalks and cystolith hairs..

I hate those, never knew what they were called until now thanks Bubbleman.

I have seen hash at dispensaries that were nothing but Capitate stalks and cystolith hairs. Just burns and smolders, I call it " no melt".

For every method of extraction there is an fast way and a long way, end product will all ways suffer when rushed.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What I like about Dry Ice sift is I can easily clean it up to 99.9%
Water hash does not allow me to clean it any further.
I love Dry Sift, I hope everyone makes this then re-cleans by carding over a screen with 50-60 microns or bigger, I use 80 microns for re-carding Skunk #1, it is small holes that keeps all the good resin on top and lets any smaller trash and dirt fall through the screen and be thrown away, what goes through the screen feels like talcum powder, no sticky at all. THC is only 1-2% in the trash, unusable.
Let me know if you have way, way to much, I may come help clean it up to 99.9%.
I keep my ruff dry sift in a freezer in Zip-locks, keeps for years fresh without getting all solid and pressed, which stops me from being able to clean it up.

-SamS

Last edited:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
..Let me know if you have way, way to much, I may come help clean it up to 99.9%.-SamS
Sam I'd love to take you up on that ^ ^.. I've been trying to capture some new pix and my new batch, last couple posts here, is far from clean..at least for the type macros I'm trying to produce. At the magnification I'm working with everything seems to show up in the pix. I'm going to do a new small batch soon and be as gentile as I can with the trichs n bags, I have only a 5 bag system. Any suggestions, Thanks Sam for the info...DD

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Sam I'd love to take you up on that
:tiphat:Me also too,lol..Im thinkin of trying it myself in the next day or two.Made some Bubble Today,and want to try my first run of the Dry Ice.I wonder if using the 75u Bubble Bag to card it over would be good?My Kif Box is 120 metal Mesh,but Sam said 60/50.So im wondering about the 75 B Bag,because i only have the 3 Bag Set at the moment and the 25 would be too small imo..Any thoughts on this Sam? Thank you,DancesWithWeed:tiphat:

gardenbug

If I have fresh frozen trim in the freezer that was going to be made into water hash, how would I use it with the dry ice? Should I melt and dry it out first?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
If I have fresh frozen trim in the freezer that was going to be made into water hash, how would I use it with the dry ice? Should I melt and dry it out first?

it works great w/ fresh frozen. just break it up a bit and throw it in the bag w/ the dry ice.

J

juicepuddle

This thread will truly become AWESOME if people start posting cleaned up dry ice hash, for real, sams the man turning it gold from bland!

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
This thread will truly become AWESOME if people start posting cleaned up dry ice hash, for real, sams the man turning it gold from bland!

I think this thread is pretty awesome right now.. some of us are not after the holy grail of hashish.. just something fun and easy.. The product that I've made with this method is hands down better than any of the 'hash' that's available in the market around here.. most of us here will never meet the standards of the purists. I make the hash, I smoke the hash, I get higher than hell and all my friends that join me have little slits for eyes when they're done.. what am I doing wrong?

mgk :tiphat:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
What I like about Dry Ice sift is I can easily clean it up to 99.9%
Water hash does not allow me to clean it any further.
I love Dry Sift, I hope everyone makes this then re-cleans by carding over a screen with 50-60 microns or bigger, I use 80 microns for re-carding Skunk #1, it is small holes that keeps all the good resin on top and lets any smaller trash and dirt fall through the screen and be thrown away, what goes through the screen feels like talcum powder, no sticky at all. THC is only 1-2% in the trash, unusable.
Let me know if you have way, way to much, I may come help clean it up to 99.9%.
I keep my ruff dry sift in a freezer in Zip-locks, keeps for years fresh without getting all solid and pressed, which stops me from being able to clean it up.

-SamS

is carding over a taught screen much different than shaking in a bag?

i just gave a shot at reprocessing my dry ice hash from last week. i put the greener grade in my 73 micron bag and shook the hell out of it for a good 20 minutes.

i collected the talc-like dust in a bowl under my bag. i removed at least a couple grams of the dust, but i'm still not getting anywhere near the purity i'm looking for.

i even gave it another 20 minutes in the 90 micron bag (since when i ran the trim 98% of the product was caught above it). got some more dust out of it but still not approaching the 99% purity i want.

do i just need to give it more time? or would the "carding" technique be a big improvement over shaking it in a bag?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Not sure about shaking, I card.
If the resin is large then 80 micron might help better, you need to try and see.
I would card some and shake some in a bag and see which is best.
If you card some then shake, or shake some and then card it should help lear up what is best for you. Shaking sounds easier but I have no experience shaking, I know that if the resin is damp or not fully dried or if the humidity in the air is high the resin being shaken will lump up and not go through the screen, this happens even with a 120-150 micron bag, or tumbler to collect resin from bud or leaf.

If anyone else uses a forklift just to move their resin, then you are doing something right. But it is quality that I like, all dependent on the variety, how grown and processed, I think you know what I mean.

-SamS

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
What im plannin on doing is,start by using the 120 bag,then taking the whole mess and carding over the 75u bag.Im thinking, doing it this way,and using the trim from my BoggleGum pheno i have(which makes some of the finest Bubble,not the best but its very nice as far as most)and Dry icing it.Do many paople here,start off using the work bag to begin with,then move to a smaller micron?Just wondering, because,i have an old 120 bag i dont use anymore because the side material is kind of shredding,but i will start off with the 120 and take the 75 and card over that bag.It makes great bubble and kif from my 120 Kif Box.I have never used the 75 for a dry run,so im expecting stellar results.Not the straight up no stalks or hairs n just all heads that Sam the Man gets(*Much Respect Bro),but it should be up there with most.Thanks for the Tips Bro,im stoked.Peace and Stay Safe,DancsWithWeed:wave:

gardenbug

Picked up some dry ice and ran some fresh frozen trim.
It worked very well.
I found 74 too small and not much went through it.
110 was perfect.
After I was done with the 110 I did a run with the 160. The 110 is very pure when checked under a microscope. Especially the first couple minutes of shaking. The 160 has some contaminants but still a lot of trichs and would be perfect for edibles. Yield is at least double what I get with bubble hash.
It needs to dry a few days before I can check the weight.
When smoked it burns, it doesn't melt like bubble.

All of that hash was made with the trim in the bucket. The yield is very good.

Attachments

• SANY0055.jpg
    SANY0055.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • SANY0057.jpg
    SANY0057.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 47