What's new

dna~ Sour Diesel

I

ickybuds2012

icky buds flowers are nice..

and so he will likely be proud of them and go around sharing them and smoking them with people.

its not about being proud ,,, its about being paid
whip.gif

,, you dont like dna seeds and its cool .. perhaps i could interest you in some northern lights ?!
Untitled1.jpg

jjajajajajaj yeeah buddy :trampoline:

dna's bud might be a cross of diesel , i think it is , could have no diesel at all , or it could be pure diesel .. share some of that real deal diesel with me and i'll let you know :friends: .. i think there's some diesel in it, thats for sure , as far as it being selfed ECSD clone ,,evidently its not ...

anyway thanks for nice words and good vibes :ying:

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
,, you dont like dna seeds and its cool ..

I don't think anyone is saying that... DnA does SOME interesting work, but all to often, like most of the bigger brands, they sell out on some strains... and selling beans as something, they're in reality not, is something I and I think many should take offense to.

As that hurts the efforts of people that try to bring legitimate gene's to the forefront because they must first wade through the proverbial sea of misinformation that these hyped strains and these cash cow breeders bring to the market with "their versions" of clone only and elite strains... and is why breeders that work their lines into IBL's are so awesome!... but all to often go unnoticed by the greater majority of growers because they are not part of the major marketing behind all of the magazines and canna competitions, but I am fine with that... more beans for me and when they are all gone the strains will be more rare than the other's...

thats my two cents... Y'all know I always carry my pennies with me :biggrin:

Peace,
Infi

Z

Ziggaro

pffft ibl from rez? you were right the first time unless you have the clone its not sour diesel

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was mostly speaking generally about breeders that work their lines into something that expresses certain traits stably... but yes I'm a RezHead and not every IBL will be Dead nuts with the clone only, but its got years of track record to prove it's closest you can get... and it breeds true for the SD floral traits!

I

Iron_Lion

and is why breeders that work their lines into IBL's are so awesome!... but all to often go unnoticed by the greater majority of growers because they are not part of the major marketing behind all of the magazines and canna competitions, but I am fine with that..

To be fair Rez's version wasn't all that great either. I did get one really nice Sour Diesel female but I also got 7 male's and 2 junky females. I'm happy I got 1 nice plant but for 200 bills you should get something worth while.

And not to beat this dead horse here but while were on the subject, there is an IBL then there is an true IBL. Sour D still had many pheno's but if you look at a true IBL like TH's DC there is not so many pheno's. Most "IBL's" are not really IBL's, the only good thing is that this tag kind of separates it from the real thing, like an asterisk in the record book.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
EDIT: I think I understand what you mean... but DC to SD is comparing apples to oranges IMHO... two completely different animals... both equally good in their own respects!
And not to beat this dead horse here but while were on the subject, there is an IBL then there is an true IBL. Sour D still had many pheno's but if you look at a true IBL like TH's DC there is not so many pheno's. Most "IBL's" are not really IBL's, the only good thing is that this tag kind of separates it from the real thing, like an asterisk in the record book.

for sure... it all depends on what the breeder was going for, every plant growing identically, finishing at the same time, with consistent results from plant to plant...

or being stable for smell, taste, potency, high type and bag appeal... they all seemed to look very similar nug wise to the pic Crave posted as well...

I personally couldn't care much less about flowering times, growth structure or yields as long as the quality is there... but we don't all grow for the same reasons so to each their own, that's for sure.

Peace,
Infi

I

Iron_Lion

EDIT: I think I understand what you mean... but DC to SD is comparing apples to oranges IMHO... two completely different animals... both equally good in their own respects!

for sure... it all depends on what the breeder was going for, every plant growing identically, finishing at the same time, with consistent results from plant to plant...

or being stable for smell, taste, potency, high type and bag appeal... they all seemed to look very similar nug wise to the pic Crave posted as well...

True IBL

example

Step 1. Afghan A female F1 x Afghan A male F1 = F2

Step 2. Afghan A F2 fem x Afghan A male F2 = F3

Step 3. Afghan A F3 fem x Afghan A male F3 = F4

So on and so fourth.... toward a true IBL

Sour Diesel IBL

ECSD clone x Soma's NYCD = f1

ECSD x Sour D/Soma's NYCD = BX1

ECSD x Sour Diesel BX1 = BX2

Selective inbreeding from here on out...

So yeah, it was injected with NYCD, so if anything this is a ECSD/NYCD inbred line, not so much an ECSD inbred line. Similar but not the same.

As Chimera explained in a good article, that once you outcross you add a 3rd set of allele's no matter how many times you BX or inbreed you will still find influence from that other breeding partner. Thus the Sour Diesel IBL with pheno's that still lean towards the NYCD side of things.

Last edited:

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
True IBL

example

Step 1. Afghan A female F1 x Afghan A male F1 = F2

Step 2. Afghan A F2 fem x Afghan A male F2 = F3

Step 3. Afghan A F3 fem x Afghan A male F3 = F4

So on and so fourth.... toward a true IBL

Sour Diesel IBL

ECSD clone x Soma's NYCD = f1

ECSD x Sour D/Soma's NYCD = BX1

ECSD x Sour Diesel BX1 = BX2

Selective inbreeding from here on out...

So yeah, it was injected with NYCD, so if anything this is a ECSD/NYCD inbred line, not so much an ECSD inbred line. Similar but not the same.

I understand those are different types of IBL's... but that forward filial only approach obviously can't be used for clone only plants... and I think it is still worth the effort to lock down the floral traits of some of these lines.

everyone Bx's though also even within selectively inbred lines...

but IMO, it is quite unfair to say it is an ECSD/NYCD inbred line... as the NYCD is half ECSD already... so what you are calling SD BX2 before the selective inbreeding started was already 93.75% ECSD to begin with... and from what I remember Rez saying is that he selected traits from the NYCD side to help with the week stem floppiness and stretch of the Sour D... but again I'm interested in floral traits and not so much on the growth

moondawg

Dont try to school me son, I've been looking at and studying Sour for years, I know it when I see it and that aint it.

I dont know much about the SD clone. I had the opportunity to grow it once but was told by folks that had it and were pitching it from their grow room, that it was a bug and disease magnet and sort of a weak plant, so i turned it down.

I recently witnessed a Rez SD grow and it was pathetic with lots of males and several pheno's, none of which were spectacular in my view.. That reinforced what i had already heard.

I made the comment and asked the question because ive read several threads where you seem to be quick to denounce seeds from a supposed clone only strain and some of them i know to be the real deal. Like you with the SD, i grew bubba kush for several years and know what it looks like. A number of the offerings for the strain on the market are dead on. I know of several others that are of the same nature. Just because it was originally a single cutting doesnt mean it cant be reversed and replicated.

The SD may be off but thats certainly not the case with all of the clone only strains..

I

Iron_Lion

I understand those are different types of IBL's... but that forward filial only approach obviously can't be used for clone only plants... and I think it is still worth the effort to lock down the floral traits of some of these lines.

everyone Bx's though also even within selectively inbred lines...

but IMO, it is quite unfair to say it is an ECSD/NYCD inbred line... as the NYCD is half ECSD already... so what you are calling SD BX2 before the selective inbreeding started was already 93.75% ECSD to begin with... and from what I remember Rez saying is that he selected traits from the NYCD side to help with the week stem floppiness and stretch of the Sour D... but again I'm interested in floral traits and not so much on the growth

There is no proof to support NYCD is related to ECSD. I believe even Rez concluded after years of working with ECSD and NYCD that there was no ECSD in NYCD. Soma's story is foggy, some bag seed from new york but then also says it is a mexican x afghan.

NYCD and ECSD are like apples and oranges, NYCD is known for its grapefruit smell and well ECSD is known for its sour stink and penetrating flavor.

I am in agreement with you that Rez went wrong breeding towards NYCD traits of stronger branches and less sensitivity. When I buy Sour seeds I want floppy, chunky, stinky and overly sensitive --- no matter how bad certain traits suck thats what I want.

Moondawg- You were insinuating in previous posts that I was blowing smoke when I said DNA's was Sour D x G13 haze when in fact I got that info right from the horses mouth. That's all I have to say about that.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
my sentiments...
Indeed... A very good article, by someone with the education to back up their statements...
Backcrossing is for fixing certian traits into a line and generational selection and incrossing to increase the number of 'true bred' plants in each successive generation...

I'm not saying that Rez made his IBL perfectly... but it has produced the best results that I have seen and many breeders use his Sour Diesel work in many GREAT GREAT strains... so that speaks to me

Aksala

Between Sour D/SQV/SSSDH S1 I've flowered about 15 Rez plants and EVERY SINGLE ONE herm'd...out of the 7 SD females only 2 of them produced "decent" smoke...and there were so many male flowers I decided it wasn't even worth it.

The SQV I only grew out 5 seeds and the 2 females both herm'd VERY bad...big fat balls on those ones.

The SSSDH s1's all herm'd also but not as bad as the SD and SQV...I currently have one plant left that is pretty good smoke but if I don't pluck balls every few days it ends up with a shit load of seeds...so I'm probably not gonna keep it..too much work.

Have 5 SQV seeds left and 5 SSSDH s1 seeds left...we'll see how they go but I'm definitely not believing the hype anymore.

I

Iron_Lion

my sentiments...

I'm not saying that Rez made his IBL perfectly... but it has produced the best results that I have seen and many breeders use his Sour Diesel work in many GREAT GREAT strains... so that speaks to me

I agree, and I respect the years of work and dedication Rez put into his in bred line. He took the long approach towards his goal and that was very admirable. Not many seed makers today have the patience or knowledge to take this road, too many are all about the quick cash.

I also agree that there is some gems to be found in that line (some generations might have been better than others) and I am happy to say I have one great female.

The Sour Diesel line has always been an interest of mine and I will continue to play with it for years to come. :)

Z

Ziggaro

QFT
[QUOTE=Iron_Lion;5275627]There is no proof to support NYCD is related to ECSD. I believe even Rez concluded after years of working with ECSD and NYCD that there was no ECSD in NYCD. Soma's story is foggy, some bag seed from new york but then also says it is a mexican x afghan.

NYCD and ECSD are like apples and oranges, NYCD is known for its grapefruit smell and well ECSD is known for its sour stink and penetrating flavor.

I am in agreement with you that Rez went wrong breeding towards NYCD traits of stronger branches and less sensitivity. When I buy Sour seeds I want floppy, chunky, stinky and overly sensitive --- no matter how bad certain traits suck thats what I want.

Moondawg- You were insinuating in previous posts that I was blowing smoke when I said DNA's was Sour D x G13 haze when in fact I got that info right from the horses mouth. That's all I have to say about that.[/QUOTE]

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
THIS IS SOUR DIESEL. Cravenmore's pic on the first page is proper as well. I'm sure that DNA is good smoke, but it ain't ECSD, SD ibl or a Sour Diesel ibl s1 like in the pics below. HUGE, SWOLLEN CALYX'S. the bud in the opening post looks more like ChemD, to be honest.

I grew the ECSD clone only way back, almost 10 years ago, and grew the V3 in 06-07. this is spot fucking on, with a bigger yield.

REZ did a great job on this IBL. the original clone-only was super sensitive and threw nanners like a monkey. that shit doesn;t breed out, and poor/inexperienced growers that don't account for humidity/temp/lightleaks/etc. are the ones complaining about all the hermies and shit.

RBDF:tiphat:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Looks more like a c99 or c99 cross. May be they mixed up the seed packaging?

Added. I mean in regards to the thread starters plant.

TGT

Last edited:

TPFTFW

Veteran
The east coast foxtails beautifully and has large fairly dense buds for its damn near pure sativa traits. it smells like Hippies to me. diesel twang funk + patchouli. Where as somas is nearly almost all indica in growth and flowering? I may be wrong about that.