What's new

DIY Vertical Cooler System

G

ok Bg ...has anyone ever told you before that you are a crop tease....lol...sorry I just love the idea of this thread...think of maybe just running a main res in the middle....so all coolers drain back to the main one ..whatcha think?

G

Yes, i've heard that before. I would have posted some later on today. I just was feeling like shit and i really didn't want to head outside to test fire the unit. I will in the morning after a good nights rest. I was feeling like total shit at work today and just made it home without passing out. I promiss in the morning i will test fire the unit and update the thread. Plus, my batteries are dead in the camera and i need to pick up some new ones. If there aren't any leaks and i'm getting enough pressure from the pump. I'll add the drippers to the end of the hoses and measure the output and figure out the amount of time for my pump size. Each different pump with have a different pump feeding time. The amount of time on. For the amount of nutz feed out of the drippers.

Sounds like a good idea and feel free to make any changes you think will work for you. It does sound like a good idea for sure. I've got a idea for some 3/4" plywood with out the use of a cool. More along the lines of a small plywood table with tubes mounted through it and a rez tank below the unit. I might have to build one of those also. I'm thinking about keeping this thread going and making changes till i find the right design for me, but i think the cool is the way to go for now. Stay tunes for tomorrow's update.
Thanks and take care,
BG

G

awesome BG...I was just giving ya shit...rest up and I'll be a waiting for updates...no hurry...well i'm off to get breakfast and put this mothers cab together..got the frame built and painted yesterday...just got to throw on the sides......that paltform was what I was thinking also at first...I like the idea of keeping it contained....if ya add a main res in the middle you can get in easy and throw a plant on top...easier to move one than the whole damn crop...lol...like you said there are different ways to suite the person...awesome thread...stay safe

Last edited:
G

Ok, getting ready to fill the unit with water. As soon as i post this picture. I'll be filling with water and testing the unit. First i'm hoping for no leaks. Second, i'm hoping for enough pressure to feed each line. I'm thinking this pump should work well. I guess will see in a few mins. Well, i'll see in a few mins and wait a couple of hours to post the results so to keep Hurricanefaniam waiting and pulling out his hair. lolol, jokin. I'll be back in a few mins with update and pics. Let's all hope for the best. As, you can see from this picture. I've got all the lines taped up so they don't fly all over the place and get everything wet. Once the system is filled with plants. The stakes will hold each line in place and there should be any problems. Well, see you in a few with results.
Thanks everyone,
BG

G

awesome BG...keeping fingers crossed for the test fire....lmao over the pulling my hair out...almost bald...hurry please...lol

F

Father Time

Hay Mate,
how did the leak/prasure test go,i'm getting excited now and cannot wait to see the unit in action!
Kind Regards.FT :wave:

G

Hey Guys, getting ready to upload pictures now. Give me a couple of mins. It worked, but ran into some leaks. I was figuring there was going to be some leaks, but they look to be easy fixes. BRB, uploading now.
Thanks,
BG

G

Ok, here we go. Don't want Hurricane to be completely bald.

First is the rez tank part. I'm using 1/2" soft hose and i think this is going to cause some problem with pressure. I'm going to get some hard hose and switch later on.

Next picture is what i noticed when i plugged in the pump. There was a major leak from the dripper head. It was said earlier in the thread by a very nice member. That these unit do have some problems

Well, to fix the problem I removed one of the dripper head and move all feeder hoses to one head. You can see how i blocked off one of the dripper head with a threaded end cap.

G

Next you will see a leak at the base of one of the verticle tubes. This is not a real problem, bcause the pipe isn't pushed all the way down. These verticle tubes don't have any pressure and are just downward drain tubes.

Next you will see one of the block off caps leaking. These are here because i had to switch to different dripper heads. This will be fixed with some teflon tape and making sure they are tighten with a wrench and not just hand tight.

F

Father Time

Execlant Mate,
that one feeder head,will it be enought to handel the pressure form the pump and not blow out?
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :woohoo:
great job mate.
Kindest.FT :wave:

G

Ok, next comes what everyone is waiting for. The unit flowing to all the sites. As you can see from the nest three pictures. You can see that all the sites are getting water. I'll have to see after changing the hose in the rez tank. How much pressure i get, but as of right now. I don't think i will need the dripper ends. I think the straight hose will feed more then a enough for a couple of mins on.

G

Father Time said:
Execlant Mate,
that one feeder head,will it be enought to handel the pressure form the pump and not blow out?
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :woohoo:
great job mate.
Kindest.FT :wave:

Thanks Father, I'll be adding the other head once i add the other 12 more sites. So, each head will have all 12 hoses in use. I don't thing there will be a problem. If anything, there might not be enough pressure, but i'll see once i one the other 12 sites to the system. Thanks for the kind words and support.
Take care,
BG

G

Ok, the leaks have been fixed. I got out some teflon tape and taped all threads on the block off caps. I also laid over the pump to help with the kinks in the pump hose. Also, i push down the one verticle tube that was leaking and the leak is no more. Here are a few pictures. As you can see from picture two. You can see the drain off from the upper grow sites.

I's also like to warn anyone trying this system. Please, make sure the drain plug on the side of the cool is good and tight. I made sure of it, but i almost forgot when filling with water. As, I'm going to use my little dremel tool to cut a little notch for the pump cord to lay in. Right now the lid is just crushhing it, but not bad at all. Please, feel free for any questions. Tomorrow, i'll be switch modes for out smaller grower's and show you a smaller 5 gal unit. Well, thanks for all the support everyone and i'd like to let everything know. This thread is far from over. I'm going to also build a stand that will use a rubbermaid container below without a cool unit. Alot easier to change rez then a cooler unit. Stick around, alot to come.
Take care all,
BG

G

awesome.....going now to get extensions in my hair for the next go round...lol....thankyou BG...

G

Lol, not a problem and good luck with those extensions. lolol

Well, been eyeing some net pots for the grow sites. The ID of the pipes is 3.25" and worm's way has a new net pot called the Flex Fit. They have a net pot that measure's 3.5" and i think this is the one i'm going to order and give a try. I'm just hoping the pot tapper's as it goes from the top to bottom. I think these are going to work well, but will see. I'm going to order a couple monday and also going to order a large pump also. I'm going to see what the difference in a large pump over the one i'm using already. I was eyeing the system while preparing dinner and i think the roots are going to do well in the system. Of coarse i got the new toy running and watching it. Well, the water forms a water fall inside the pipes. Well the roots are going to end up in there snaking their way down and they are going to get some good O2 while the nutz spash around in there. Really looking forward to this unit and what it can handle. I'm thinking the unit should do very well once all the bugs are worked out of it. Well, I'll get started on the 5 gal bucket system for those waiting on this one. Shouldn't take long to get up and running. Thanks again everyone and take care.
BG

Last edited:
G

how much did you pay for wye's?
Damn things are nearly 5 dollars a piece.

G

KilldanNow said:
how much did you pay for wye's?
Damn things are nearly 5 dollars a piece.

They cost me $3.83 each at Lowes. Make sure you are getting the thinner one's used for drainage hear the shit pipe. They aren't cheap, about alot cheaper then buying a Coil or any other verticle Hydro system.

Sorry Bucket Guy's, a family function came up and i didn't get to bucket. I'll get something up tonight for sure. I'll make sure to get the smaller unit going tonight for sure.
Stay tune,
BG

Latest posts

Latest posts