What's new

DIY Vertical Cooler System

G

Ok, let's get started. Sorry everyone, had alot of family members down and they wouldn't go home, lolol. Well, in the next couple of days. Your going to see alot of updates over the next few days through the weekend. We should be completely done by sunday with everything. As long as we don't run into any major problems.

Ok, i ran into a problem. Not a big problem, but Home Depot did piss me off. I could not find another dripper head like the ones i bought in the beginning. I went to three different stores and nothing. They couldn't even order any of them, so i had to go with another company. These are the replacement Dripper heads i went with. It's kind of a good thing. These come with the mini stakes i was going to buy and the unit came in a whole kit for 8 bucks and some changes. The only thing is they are a 12 site head and i'm going to have to do a couple of things, but will talk more about this problem. Here's the kit i went with.

Maverick-High Flow
12 Zone Drip system
4 GPH per zone
Irrigat a minimum of 4 zones to a maximum of 12 zones.
Model PC1204

Last edited:
F

Father Time

The project is coming along nicly mate,looking foward to seeing the end result!
Kind Regards,FT :wave:

G

somoz said:
2 zips per site is ambitious but i like it goldy! With the correct strain and the correct additives I think you can do it though, i've seen some vertical guys pull close to 3zips a site.....pretty fuckin impressive imo.....

I was talking more about the rubber hose side but if you have pics of your pump to pvc I wouldn't mind taking a gander at those either........Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan sussed out goldy........i look forward to you enacting it. Thanks.

moz

Ok, here's the hose i'm going to be using off the Drip Heads. I'll be including the pump and inside cooler plumbing also.

Mister Landscaper
Microsprikler & Drp Irrigation

Model MLT-B30
30ft.Connector 1/4" Vinyl Tubing
Professional Grade

G

Thanks FatherTime, she's getting there.

Here's the pump i'm going to be using. I've been very happy with these pumps.

Sunleaves
SDH230
Max Height lift 6'5"
396GPH

somoz

Veteran
Hey GDW: I see your going with the maverick 12 site system. I've used this before and ran into this problem. First it takes a very high pressured pump to gain the 4gph and also the lines clog up very very easily so your going to have to have an inline filter.....Looking foward to seeing you rig this together bro.........good luck!

moz

G

somoz said:
Hey GDW: I see your going with the maverick 12 site system. I've used this before and ran into this problem. First it takes a very high pressured pump to gain the 4gph and also the lines clog up very very easily so your going to have to have an inline filter.....Looking foward to seeing you rig this together bro.........good luck!

moz

Thanks Somoz for the info. Will see soon enough if this pump is going to cut it, but i'm thinking we are good. I could be wrong, but in about a hour. I should be firing up the unit and checking everything out.
Thanks

Well, just got done glueing the last of the plumbing in the rez section. This "should" be the only stuff that is glued. Everything else should either be threaded or just pushed together. I'll explain more later on about this. This unit will only have pressure inside the cooler to the Drip heads. Everything up top will just drip. That's if everything works right. Here's the inside of the rez section. You can see how the plumbing is going to work. You can see a 1/2" barbed threaded fitting that will connect to a 1/2" line to the pump. Once the glue is dried. I'm going to assemble the unit and wash it outside. I want to make sure all PVC dust is all gone and wash off all the dirt and dust from all the fiting. For some reason, these fitting where dirty from Lowes and Home Depot. I'll post more after the glue is dried.
Thanks Everyone,
BG

G

Ok, got everything washed. Since there was all types of dust and dirt on these fittings for some reason. I got everything washed and replaced the Dripper Heads. I had to block off two of the older feed sites, because i had to go with these different head with more outputs. I'll use the first heads for the 5 gal bucket i'm going to built here soon. Here are the new heads.

Here's the inside of the cool rez tank. The pump is installed and ready to pump. I'm using 1/2" hose with connections.

Ok, I got everything all washed and dried. I'm only going to run 12 sites for the test. If i have leaks or something. Don't want to have the whole unit together if i got to get into the rez tank.

Last edited:
G

was just checking in while I let the paint dry in the mothers cab I'm making.. way to go BG....keep em coming.

G

Ok, here's the first picture of me starting to run all the feeder lines. You can see they go up under the drip head. Very easy to do, but you might want to use alittle water to get over the nipples.

Here's a front shot of the hoses going to their own grow sites. They are starting to come together.

Ok, here is the 12 site unit all ran with drip hose and ready to test fire. All i got left to do now. Is to tape the hoses for now. Don't want them going all over the place. I'm going to use steaks in the net pots to hold the dripper in place.

G

Ok, got alittle more work to do. All i got left is to tape the hoses off and fill cooler with some water. Once that is all done. I'll test fire the unit and see what it does. I've also, got to attach the dripper to the ends of the hoses and time the dripping. Then i'll know how long to drip for. I really don't want any nutz going back into the cooler rez, so i'll time unit to drip enough just before draining back into cooler. Will talk more later on about timing and medium type that can be used. I'm also going to cover a conversion of this unit to a Aero type unit also. Very easy and not hard at all. I'll be back around later on tonight after dinner and show what happen with the test fire. I'd like to thank everyone for help, opions, support, and just plain hanging out. Thanks alot and alot more to come.
Take care all,
BG

G

awesome BG.....any reason you dont want the nutes to go back into cooler...and how hard is it going to be you think to get into the res when plants are running? just curious..thanks for the reply in advance and great job bud...got me so inspired right now..

G

hurricanefaniam said:
awesome BG.....any reason you dont want the nutes to go back into cooler...and how hard is it going to be you think to get into the res when plants are running? just curious..thanks for the reply in advance and great job bud...got me so inspired right now..

Hey hurricane, no special reason. I just think it will let me just add more nutz between rez tank cleaning. As you stated above. The really work or little problem is getting in and out of cooler with a full system, but like i was talking about in a few post before. I'm going to make some holding cooler or stand to get in and out of cool. It's not hard, it's just alittle work. You will just need to unsteak the drip and let it hang down. Then you will pull the tube upwards and remove each tube and place it in another cooler or rack. I got a easy rack to build for holding tubes. I'll get around to that later. I know this might put off some people. The getting in and out of cooler, but i think once a few members build a unit of this type and others see the yield. It will make it worth the effort.

Thanks for the kind words and i'm glad you like the thread. You take care and i'll post more later on. OH, Love the hotties on the HOG. Very nice.
Later,
BG

G

thanks BG....would it be possible to have the tubes mounted on a platform and a res that could slide out from under it?what would be the draw backs you could think of...just not crazy on the idea of having to move the racks between changes....Thanks again...

G

Well, I'm trying to keep this unit self-contained. This thread is to help other with maybe building one of these unit's or giving them idea's as well. That sounds like a killer idea. I'm also thinking about a support system that will let me tilt the lid back and a piece of wood would support all four tubes, so the unit doesn't fall. There are a couple of idea's here. I'm open to them all, but once the unit is totally done. I think members will like the end results. Remember everyone, this is the Demo. I'm just building this unit and working out all the bugs. Then i'll build four units of the final design for my new local once done all the BS with court. Everything should als store in the unit if you need to take it down and move else where's. That's something i wanted also. Bring on all idea's. I'm open to everything.
Later,
BG

G

I hear ya...this system seems like a good way to use your space plus get great yields...thanks to you I feel it's possible to DIY for way less...I can build but always doubt myself...I think I over think things to much....I am going to give this a try...I have the 4 ft glass tube and the 600's.....most systems i've seen prefab just dont look that good and are way over price....just wanted to say thanks for working the kinks out for me first....stay safe

icky420

can i ask what your total spent was up to this point? Just browsing the thread, it seems like you might be under a hundred dollars. Im thinking thats being too optimistic though. Had you considered mounting the two outermost columns at the front of the cooler and the middle 2 in the rear in an attempt to wrap them around the lights more evenly. Picture perhaps 4,6, or 8 coolers surrounding a vertical light setup just like the real cage except modular and probably more accessible. Let us know what intervals you come up with, your really getting me excited :lurk:

Latest posts

Latest posts