What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Vertical Cooler System

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I designed a similar system last year, but never built it, I was going to do manual water feed to the top of each tube, cause I was designing a "mother ship" to transport mothers during an extended migration. I look forward to seeing how this works with flowers in it. Nice work!
H

G

Tomatoesonly, thanks for the info. Didn't think about them leaking, but i'll test them out and see if i run into any problems. Thanks again for the help. If i do have a problem. I've already got a back up plan. That won't take much work at all and i can still use the same setup. No worries, I've got a custom manifodl idea that i know will work. If i have leak problems with these heads.
Thanks

Siddartha, thanks for the kind words. It's going to be fun for sure. I don't know how big your cab is, but you can use this general idea for any type of coller. Find a cooler that will fit and just do the same thing. If you need any help. Just PM me or post in this thread.

Haps, thanks again for the kinds words. I've been eyeing these system for sometime. Finally got around to doing my own. Thanks again
Take care,
BG

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
/is
Inspired.gif

G

^^^^same here....had to check in on the thread before I head to Home de-pot...time to get to work...stay safe and looking good BG

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
hfiam just know that you can do without the feed-manifolds altogether really :)

just do a top-drip into each tube if short on cash. filled with the right medium it will work like a charm.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
a fellow ic'r made one a while back. here is a pic to give a better idea.
68100_6241_Large_.jpg

not my pic, he will stop in the thread if he wants to reveal his identity.

Siddartha

Thanks, I can't wait to see what this badboy is capable of turning out! I'm going to build one, most likely, I like the idea of making use of the most possible light. I'm prolly gonna put it in some kind of custom cab, altho c24 is looking nice. What size light do you plan on using? I'm thinkin a smaller system, like maybe 3 high by 4 columns. I like this idea because it keeps everything short, I don't have to worry about headroom so much.

G

Afternoon everyone and thanks again for the kind words. Glad, to see so many friendly faces. It sure is going to be fun when i finish up this demo unit. I call this first unit, my demo. Got to see what's going to work and what's not, so i can work out the bugs before growing anything in it. Thanks for the support.

This unit of mine is going to be using 2 600HPS Grolux lights. Going to see once i have the cube all setup. If this is going to be enough. If it's not, then i might add another 600HPS or switch to 2 1000HPS Grolux. Will see when the time comes. What i like about this unit. You can change the grow site as you need. You can use 24 sites or just 3 sites. It's all up to the grower and their needs. The unit feeds from the top and everything drains back down in the cooler. If there is a problem with the feeder Manifolds. I'm going to remove them and pipe in some 1/2" pipe across the top. I'll use 2 elbo's for the ends and 2 t's for the middle. Basically it will be a bar and i'll drill and tap into the 1/2" and run the same tubes. The dripper's should regulate the flow, if not. I can meter then with a valve below where the pump hooks up. I think i got this unit, pretty well planned out and also backup plans. lol Well, i'll try to get some updates this weekend. I'm waiting on the wye fittings to come in. I bought them all out and they are waiting on a restock at lowes. Home Depot didn't have the same one's i'm using, so i'm stuck with Lowes for now. You could goto a plumbing supply place, but i'm happy with lowes. Plus, i wanted to do a unit anyone here could walk into a normal chain store and build the same unit. Well, thanks again for all the support and kind works. Feel free to add anything or ask any question. Take care everyone and be safe.
Later,
BG

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
evenin BG

evenin BG

i have a question :smile:
u plan to use any mycorrhizael fungi and/or beneficial bacterium in your reservoir?
id look into it, i hear in vertical grows (or any hydro grows really)
it makes a big difference in root health/fighting off nasties..just a thought. ciao

Last edited:

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
also, what nutrient line are you using?

anyone ever run vert. pipes 'sterile' ,
with synthetic nutes and h2o2 in the fertigation solution?

Last edited:
G

Hey ethereal, No i've never ran any of that stuff. Never really had any problems with any type of funk. I normally run some organic silicon and that tends to keep things in check, but i'll give a look at the stuff you posted.

As, for the fertz i use. I'm a Pure Blend Pro person and love the stuff. I tend to use BioBizz also, but with small soil grows. I'm also a Hydro person and been running Ebb&Flo's for some years and just love them. PBP, has keep me very happy over the years and i'll be buying up some of their larger container's once i come back. Since, i'll be growing up a storm, lolol. I see that they sell their fertz in 5 gal container's. That's nice when your burning up the fertz. Now, all i got to do is get a whole sale Lic. and i'll be good. lolol.
Take care,
BG

G

ethereal said:
hfiam just know that you can do without the feed-manifolds altogether really :)

just do a top-drip into each tube if short on cash. filled with the right medium it will work like a charm.

yeah I was thinking about that...I just think it's going to be easier to just top feed....I'll let BG get the kinks out before I start to build one...I went to the store yesterday to get the rest of the things I need to run 3 more hydro trays and get this mothers cab finished...getting to many keepers.....looks like i'm going to phase out the soil grows and stick with hydro this winter..was just to hot in the summer here to try ...

once again BG awesome thread and thanks for getting my butt in gear...after you started this thread i've been working all day and in bed by 8:30 dreaming of what to do next... :sasmokin:

gunnaknow

I'm really loving this thread GDW, I can't get enough! Have you thought about putting a lower island res/tray in the middle of the four coolers so that you make use of all space like the grow cube? That way, the only side of your cube that won't be made use of is the top.

One thing didn't seem clear to me when reading your thread, maybe you will be getting to that soon anyway. You said that feeding would come from the top. Do you mean that all six feeder tubes will come down the pipe, cut to length so that each tube ends at it's designated wye? I take it that using just one feeder tube per pipe and letting the water run down from the very top to feed all sites wouldn't work as well? Perhaps that would overwater the top sites and underwater the bottom sites?

Also, in post #8, you said....

"Ok, here is going to be the plumbing for the feeding heads that will feed all grow sites. I'm using regular 1/2" PVC and 1/2" fittings. The four holes that you see in the pictures is drilled out with a 7/8" hole saw. Here are the first holes and fittings."

Can you tell me why you made 7/8" holes for 1/2" PVC tubing GDW? Perhaps the fittings, not the tubing glue into the holes and they are 7/8"? Thanks and keep up the good work. I think that with threads like these, IC has taken over from OG as the best grow site around; and it has far less ignorant school kids and trolls too!

Last edited:
This is very similar to a plan I have for a half-circle cage closet grow with CO2. I'm going to top-feed from the beginning, though, instead of drippers. I'll just put it on a timer so that as soon as the water is all drained out the pipes, the pump will run some back through them again. We'll see, but I appreciate you writing this all up, it'll help me out for sure! Are you sure about the whole "nothing gets glued together" thing? It sounds great to be able to rotate the odd growing plants, etc. but I'm afraid of water leaks/floods! Looking great so far!

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn I'm late sorry but got a huge chuckle on the idea of the next door neighbor looking out her window when ya took pics of this masterpiece in you yard. " Henry come here you gotta see this,WTF kinda new fangled cooler is that thing?" I know your safe but the idea of a 80 year old lady looking out and seeing that in the yard was to good not to share. Looking forward to the end product spotted one at Wally World just today on the close out Isle.

Mr.Wags

A.K.A Fuck Nuts :pointlaug

somoz

Veteran
Lol wags.....that's funny dood........Great design goldy, now all ya got to do is get 4 more coolers and circle em up and your set.....hehe...........If you could would you mind showing some pics of your supply side lines........thanks for sharin bro

moz

G

gunnaknow said:
I'm really loving this thread GDW, I can't get enough! Have you thought about putting a lower island res/tray in the middle of the four coolers so that you make use of all space like the grow cube? That way, the only side of your cube that won't be made use of is the top.

One thing didn't seem clear to me when reading your thread, maybe you will be getting to that soon anyway. You said that feeding would come from the top. Do you mean that all six feeder tubes will come down the pipe, cut to length so that each tube ends at it's designated wye? I take it that using just one feeder tube per pipe and letting the water run down from the very top to feed all sites wouldn't work as well? Perhaps that would overwater the top sites and underwater the bottom sites?

Also, in post #8, you said....

"Ok, here is going to be the plumbing for the feeding heads that will feed all grow sites. I'm using regular 1/2" PVC and 1/2" fittings. The four holes that you see in the pictures is drilled out with a 7/8" hole saw. Here are the first holes and fittings."

Can you tell me why you made 7/8" holes for 1/2" PVC tubing GDW? Perhaps the fittings, not the tubing glue into the holes and they are 7/8"? Thanks and keep up the good work. I think that with threads like these, IC has taken over from OG as the best grow site around; and it has far less ignorant school kids and trolls too!

Morning, Boy so many question. Thanks, love answering them :wave: As for putting a grow tray in the middle. I'm thinking about it, but i'm going to get the unit up and running first, then i'll either put some soil pots or a Ebb&Flo tray on the bottom in the middle. Just more plants and increas the harvest numbers. Just alittle worried about stretch is all.

As for the 1/2" PVC pipe. The 7/8" hole saw is the perfect fit for the 1/2" pipe. The outter diameter of the 1/2" pipe is very close and the 7/8" hole is a perfect fit. 1/2" is the innter diameter if i'm correct. As for glueing these pipes and fittings. Yes, you glue these, because they will be under pressure. Anything under pressure will be glued. Anything that "is not" under pressure will not be glued. I will explain more after the test firing of the unit. Once i see what leaks and what doesn't leak. Will let me know if i need to make changes. Remember, this is the Demo model and like anything that is new from the drawing boards. There are going to be some problems. Not to worry, i've got other things in my head if there are any problems.

Well, I think i've answered all your questions. It's still very early and if i missed one or didn't explain it cleary. Please post again or PM. I'll make sure to answer your question.
Thanks,
BG

G

somoz said:
Lol wags.....that's funny dood........Great design goldy, now all ya got to do is get 4 more coolers and circle em up and your set.....hehe...........If you could would you mind showing some pics of your supply side lines........thanks for sharin bro

moz

Morning, once i get the Demo unit up and working. I'll make sure all the bugs are worked out and the unit is running the way i want it to be. Once it's running the way i like it to be. I'm going to buy another 4 cooler's and build those units and stash them. Till, i'm done with my little problem that has me in limbo right "PB". This Demo unit will be cleaned up and made into the swap unit. So, i'll have a total of five units. One that will be used as a swap unit and harvest will be ever 2 weeks. Once up and running. My goal is 2oz per a grow site. That is a total of 3lbs every 2 weeks, but i'm thinking with the right strain and me getting use to this system. I can pull more then that. If i run my BG NYCD cut. I know for a fact i can pull more the 2oz per site. I've seen up to 4 oz per a top from that girl.

As for the supply lines. Are you asking about the rubber hose that is going to be feed up to each grow site? Or the PVC pipe and pump inside the unit. Let me know and i'll get some pic's for you.
Thanks,
BG

G

Thanks Hurricanefaniam, Wags, and everyone else that has shown suport and kind words. Means alot and drives me for the day i can grow again and legal. This unit is keeping me busy on my off time and i love sharing my idea's and helping others. Not to say this is totally my idea. Other's here have helped out and gave me the push on this one. I'd like to thank them for the push and help. Thank you everyone for everything. That's why i love IC. A bunch of nice people. Well, off to work. Take care all and have a super day.
Later,
BG