What's new

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hey guys!
Are there certain cuts, that no matter how many tries, just won't produce a male flower?
Is it possible that it is a genetic trait?
Like if a female just doesn't have the gene that allows expression of male flowers.
Might be stupid question, but I'm too stupid to realize it, so I gotta ask to learn.

Yes. I had an Original Glue from Nirvana that just would not turn. At all. I wanted seeds but have to buy them if I want them. I sprayed a swazi at the same time and it exploded with balls so I know the mix was good. Solid genetics for sure.

I have to learn how to clone.

As for your other questions. Someone gave me LSD-25 seeds. I grew them out and feminized with STS. the resulting seeds are what hermied.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome sauce, everyone :) Loving it. :D

Tycho, does the cut happen to smell anything like bananas? As far as I'm aware, ethylene smells like bananas. So if the banana smell is from ethylene and not terpenes... it's a SUPER strong ethylene producer.

Just a thought.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yes. I had an Original Glue from Nirvana that just would not turn. At all. I wanted seeds but have to buy them if I want them. I sprayed a swazi at the same time and it exploded with balls so I know the mix was good. Solid genetics for sure.

I have to learn how to clone.

As for your other questions. Someone gave me LSD-25 seeds. I grew them out and feminized with STS. the resulting seeds are what hermied.

Thanks for the response Tycho.

Have ever seen the Original Glue from Nirvana herm otherwise?

Or any other cuts that herm regularly but won't herms with sts?

meizzwang

How do you have the plant reverse into producing 100% male pollen sacks, or do we not want that because it means the plant has received such a high dose of STS that the plant's nuts have been zapped so hard that the pollen might be sterile or difficult to obtain from the flower?

Here's what I've done so far: even though I said I'd only treat them once with STS, I ended up treating them several times because I'd rather have balls for sure (on the first attempt) than maybe balls on some of them. In every case, treatment has been on the scale of drops, no spraying large volumes:
1) 2 days after 12/12 flip, placed 1:9 STS solution on the main growth point. Several drops per plant were applied, but in some cases, the top growth point would only hold 1-2 drops. Repeated several hours later after the drops dried up.
2) 5 days later, applied several drops again to all growth points.
3) about another 5 days later, applied several drops again to all growth points.

They've been in flower for a little over 2 weeks now and every single clone is producing pistils only. Normally, I'm not looking forward to a ladyboy sausage fest, but this is the only exception to that rule. With great reluctance, I'll say I'm hopeful to be tappin some seriously hairy nutsacks (sigh), fingers crossed..... here's the varieties I'm trying to reverse:
1) GSC-easy to root, but took a little longer than others
2) GG4-(notes: gave me a hard time rooting)
3) holy grail kush (slightly difficult to root)
4) Florida OG (moderately easy to root)
5) Strawberry cookies (easy to root)
6) Ukhrul- a really unique, standout individual that smells like rotten orange peels, YUM! LOL very easy to root
7) Lemon Zkittle-heard this one sucks effect-wise, but it smells really good so far. Roots in about 6 days, unbelievably easy to clone.
8) Kosher Tangie (notes:pain in the ass to root)

I have the original GG4 clone, and hearing the previous comment that GG4 has given some trouble reversing, I don't regret treating it so many times.

Here's Lemon Zkittle, clone from a somewhat young seed grown plant:
48626381076_0c1ff89ccf_c.jpg

GSC:this is a clone of a clone. Feels like I nuked the shit out of this plant. Maybe it's harder to reverse clones that came from vegetatively mature plants to begin with?
48626032123_55aa99a85d_c.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting... what is your definition of 'the main growth point' you're referring to? I'm aware drops at the base of a flower site works. Is the 'main growth point' the stem between the flower and branch?

meizzwang

Interesting... what is your definition of 'the main growth point' you're referring to? I'm aware drops at the base of a flower site works. Is the 'main growth point' the stem between the flower and branch?

Good question! okay, did a quick google search, and there's a lot of words that describe the part of the plant that was treated: the apical bud aka terminal bud aka terminal shoot. The pictures in my previous post depict the exact sites that were treated: a few drops were placed on the developing inflorescence and primordial leaves.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
How do you have the plant reverse into producing 100% male pollen sacks, or do we not want that because it means the plant has received such a high dose of STS that the plant's nuts have been zapped so hard that the pollen might be sterile or difficult to obtain from the flower?

Here's what I've done so far: even though I said I'd only treat them once with STS, I ended up treating them several times because I'd rather have balls for sure (on the first attempt) than maybe balls on some of them. In every case, treatment has been on the scale of drops, no spraying large volumes:
1) 2 days after 12/12 flip, placed 1:9 STS solution on the main growth point. Several drops per plant were applied, but in some cases, the top growth point would only hold 1-2 drops. Repeated several hours later after the drops dried up.
2) 5 days later, applied several drops again to all growth points.
3) about another 5 days later, applied several drops again to all growth points.

They've been in flower for a little over 2 weeks now and every single clone is producing pistils only. Normally, I'm not looking forward to a ladyboy sausage fest, but this is the only exception to that rule. With great reluctance, I'll say I'm hopeful to be tappin some seriously hairy nutsacks (sigh), fingers crossed..... here's the varieties I'm trying to reverse:
1) GSC-easy to root, but took a little longer than others
2) GG4-(notes: gave me a hard time rooting)
3) holy grail kush (slightly difficult to root)
4) Florida OG (moderately easy to root)
5) Strawberry cookies (easy to root)
6) Ukhrul- a really unique, standout individual that smells like rotten orange peels, YUM! LOL very easy to root
7) Lemon Zkittle-heard this one sucks effect-wise, but it smells really good so far. Roots in about 6 days, unbelievably easy to clone.
8) Kosher Tangie (notes:pain in the ass to root)

I have the original GG4 clone, and hearing the previous comment that GG4 has given some trouble reversing, I don't regret treating it so many times.

Here's Lemon Zkittle, clone from a somewhat young seed grown plant:
View Image

GSC:this is a clone of a clone. Feels like I nuked the shit out of this plant. Maybe it's harder to reverse clones that came from vegetatively mature plants to begin with?
View Image

I don't think it's possible to produce MALE pollen. STS and CS block the production of Ethylene. Nothing else. Males don't produce Ethylene so treating it won't do anything.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong).

You might think that introducing Ethylene to a male might do it, but stopping the production is NOT the same as introducing it. If anything, it might make it finish faster. And that might mean empty pollen sacs.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Good question! okay, did a quick google search, and there's a lot of words that describe the part of the plant that was treated: the apical bud aka terminal bud aka terminal shoot. The pictures in my previous post depict the exact sites that were treated: a few drops were placed on the developing inflorescence and primordial leaves.

Good. Maybe spray the budsite which you want to reverse again in a week and maybe repeat again a week after that. Just make the site you want to reverse good wet with the solution, let 5-7 days pass and repeat again (a few times) until you see male flower developing.

Your plant looks to me that you grow outside? Is this correct? I can't see it very good in the picture.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
I don't think it's possible to produce MALE pollen. STS and CS block the production of Ethylene. Nothing else. Males don't produce Ethylene so treating it won't do anything.

You might think that introducing Ethylene to a male might do it, but stopping the production is NOT the same as introducing it. If anything, it might make it finish faster. And that might mean empty pollen sacs.

Below is a link to a thread on how to reverse males to females using ethylene (ethephon).
The resulting progeny are regular seeds. So both males and females. Not only males.
It's because males have XY genes (like all species of plants and animals), while females only have XX genes.
So crossing males together will give birth also to females.

If you have only a male plant and you really want to keep the line, you could follow then that procedure and make regular seeds. If you then want to create feminized seeds from that line, then simply select a female plant from the progeny and treat it with STS (following the guide in the current thread).

Link: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

Here is a quick Punnett Square I made using a simple online Punnett Square calculator to show you how the resulting sex from the progeny is when you breed 2 males together.

Please keep in mind that YY plants aka supermales are not viable in cannabis according to current belief, to make all male seeds you need a supemale but they are not viable...

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

a few drops were placed on the developing inflorescence and primordial leaves.
Ok, thank you, this is much more clear. Considering you're having the same results with two different strains, it's most likely application being the issue.

I would recommend treating the stem of the flower site in the future. The main reason being, this is where the flower is drawing it's water/nutrients from. Anything soaking into the stem at the base will be drawn up through the entire flower.
:tiphat:

I like reversals without pistils... personally. :) They make for some great photos. The first photo in this thread does not have pistils, and the pollen is quite viable. I believe it has to do with early spraying, since I only saw a few pre-flowering pistils before beginning on this particular plant. :D

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
From Sam's cannabis bibliography thread:
appears relevant.

Induction of fertile male flowers in genetically female Cannabis sativa plants by silver nitrate and silver thiosulphate anionic complex.
Mohan Ram, H. Y., & Sett, R. (1982).
Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 62(4), 369–375.
doi:10.1007/bf00275107
Apical application of silver nitrate (AgNO~ ;50 and 100 ~tg per plant) and silver thiosulphate anionic complex (Ag(S203)~-; STS; 25, 50 and 100 ~tg per plant) to female plants of Cannabis sativa induced the formation of reduced male, intersexual and fully altered male flowers on the newly formed primary lateral branches (PLBs); 10 ~tg per plant of AgNO3 was ineffective and 150 ~tg treatment proved inhibitory. A maximum number of fully altered male flowers were formed in response to 100 ~tg STS. The induced male flowers produced pollen grains that germinated on
stigmas and effected seed set. Silver ion applied as STS was more effective than AgNO3 in inducing flowers of altered sex. The induction of male flowers on female plants demonstrated in this work is useful for producing seeds that give rise to only female plants. This technique is also useful for maintaining gynoecious lines.

meizzwang

Just to clarify, the inquiry was about reversing a female plant to produce only male pollen sacks that produce only female gametes.

Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful and insightful. This thread is a goldmine of info!

meizzwang

Almost 3 weeks after treating the plants several times, there's clear signs of male "balls" developing on holy grail kush and Florida OG. Yessss!!!!!!! Will get pictures up once they're big enough to photograph.

Interestingly, I'm starting to see some BANANAS only on Lemon zkittle (eg. like the nanners you see on late flowering hermis. I guess technically speaking, it's the stamens or a single stamen without the petals and sepals). However, this clone hasn't formed any male balls yet, maybe it will in a few days. Anyone know if there's a way to discourage nanner formation and encourage balls only? LOL

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Almost 3 weeks after treating the plants several times, there's clear signs of male "balls" developing on holy grail kush and Florida OG. Yessss!!!!!!! Will get pictures up once they're big enough to photograph.

Interestingly, I'm starting to see some BANANAS only on Lemon zkittle (eg. like the nanners you see on late flowering hermis. I guess technically speaking, it's the stamens or a single stamen without the petals and sepals). However, this clone hasn't formed any male balls yet, maybe it will in a few days. Anyone know if there's a way to discourage nanner formation and encourage balls only? LOL

All good news. :) Maybe spray your Lemon zkittle again. This might give some good balls instead of a couple of nanners.

Douglas.Curtis

Anyone know if there's a way to discourage nanner formation and encourage balls only? LOL
As far as I'm aware, the difference is "where" it forms. When it forms while being pressed against by female flowers... it looks like a nanner. When it forms without any female flowers pressing on it, it has freedom to ball up.

If they're not the same, I'd be extremely surprised. Otherwise, nanners forming without female flower pressure would be a common sight.

Latest posts

Latest posts