What's new

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

NEED 4 SEED

With my DNH cookies cut (supposedly platinum cookies?), I tried only a few drops of 1:9 STS per growth point at first, but nothing happened after 3 weeks. After that, I sprayed aka drenched the entire plant heavily daily for more than a week (zero leaf burn BTW). In the end, it barely produced male flowers: the main growth points that were treated never turned, but one or two of the popcorn buds below did!

Thing is, I'm having the opposite results so far compared to others: it takes daily spraying for more than a week to get multiple different clones to turn. None of the plants are showing any phytotoxicity symptoms despite being drenched many, many times.

Thx for the reply. Your experiment sounds a bit like overdone somehow, if the most treated parts didn't reverse at all while the lower buds did. I have also tried multiple sprays with 1:9 solution. Won't do in my case. Its also my observation that 1:9 won't hurt the plants much but if I went stronger just a bit, it did hurt them visibly.

NEED 4 SEED

Definitely looks like too strong of a solution being used.

I would try 1:20, and spray a week before flower and at flip again. If male flower production seems low after a week, I'd spray one more time.

Plant counts suck. I could have such a massive amount of data with 1000 cuts of the same plant. Ignorant legislators suck.

What made you think it was too strong? If you mean the bad look and damaged leaves, this is due to thrips and not being the healthiest clone that I took.
But yes the lower strength sounds like a good alternative I will try next year.
Atm I have 2 of these in pots outdoors sprayed 1-2 weeks before flowering at 1:9 and another time when I saw first pistils.

I am also trying to reverse a cheese cross plant as my last experiment this year to make a selfed generation of it in the hope this generation will seggregate into its parent phenotypes.

Would you folks say this path is the right one? Mother was a Dinafem Cheese(probably Uk Cheese x Afghani), father were probably two males, one or both polyhybrids.
I also have a male brother of this Cheese plant for making an f2 generation and cousins of it. But the time is over for this year.
Next year more experimenting fun/depression ;)

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Mate, before switching to lower dose experiments, all combinations with higher doses had to be examined. My limited space doesn't allow too many tests at the same time. I will now explore the lower dosages in various combinations.

No offense intended Need 4 Seed. I did the same thing. Twice.
I was trying to self it. Pollen sacs over took the buds and only got a few seeds, but at least I got pollen out of it.
picture.php

But the swazi I did exploded with empty Pollen sacs. :shucks: Nothing out of it other than a wee smell.

-

meizzwang

No offense intended Need 4 Seed. I did the same thing. Twice.
I was trying to self it. Pollen sacs over took the buds and only got a few seeds, but at least I got pollen out of it.
View Image

But the swazi I did exploded with empty Pollen sacs. :shucks: Nothing out of it other than a wee smell.

-

Failure is probably the best way to learn how to succeed with STS. Once you know the limits of a particular clone, then you can get the exact dose and spray regime down for optimal pollen production.

meizzwang

I think the consensus is to spray just before and during the light switch, but I don't know if there's really a black and white answer, as every clone is very different. Some clones will reverse very easily with a few sprays of 1 to 9, others are very difficult.

I first tried to give each plant droplets of STS on the growth points every 5 or 7 days after turning the lights on to 12/12, but after the various clones started flowering, only one showed male pollen sacks, so I took extreme measures and sprayed every plant heavily daily with 1:9 STS for 10 days straight. If I were to do this again, I'd spray the whole plant, but only a few times. I'd also spray right before the switch, and then maybe 2 times after the switch.

here are the results from starting them off with droplets at first, and then drenching them 10 days in a row when they started flowering but showed no signs of balls:
1) Kosher Tangie: great pollen production! moderately hard to turn
2) Girl scout cookies: very hard to turn at first, but then exploded with male sacks with non-viable pollen. The spray was too much, all leaves burned weeks after the treatment, so I tossed this plant
3) GG4-the verified, real deal cut. great pollen production, pretty hard to reverse. Got a pic to share!
48877140387_661fc16bf4_c.jpg

4) holy grail kush-very hard to reverse, empty pollen sacks eventually, tossed it out.
5) Florida OG: got some viable pollen in the beginning from a few male sacks, but after the plant turned completely male, zero viable pollen.
6) Lemon Zkittle-one of the easiest to turn, probably not sexually stable. got plenty of viable pollen.
7) Strawberry cookies-very easy to turn, zero viable pollen.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
I think the consensus is to spray just before and during the light switch, but I don't know if there's really a black and white answer, as every clone is very different. Some clones will reverse very easily with a few sprays of 1 to 9, others are very difficult.

I first tried to give each plant droplets of STS on the growth points every 5 or 7 days after turning the lights on to 12/12, but after the various clones started flowering, only one showed male pollen sacks, so I took extreme measures and sprayed every plant heavily daily with 1:9 STS for 10 days straight. If I were to do this again, I'd spray the whole plant, but only a few times. I'd also spray right before the switch, and then maybe 2 times after the switch.

here are the results from starting them off with droplets at first, and then drenching them 10 days in a row when they started flowering but showed no signs of balls:
1) Kosher Tangie: great pollen production! moderately hard to turn
2) Girl scout cookies: very hard to turn at first, but then exploded with male sacks with non-viable pollen. The spray was too much, all leaves burned weeks after the treatment, so I tossed this plant
3) GG4-the verified, real deal cut. great pollen production, pretty hard to reverse. Got a pic to share!
View Image
4) holy grail kush-very hard to reverse, empty pollen sacks eventually, tossed it out.
5) Florida OG: got some viable pollen in the beginning from a few male sacks, but after the plant turned completely male, zero viable pollen.
6) Lemon Zkittle-one of the easiest to turn, probably not sexually stable. got plenty of viable pollen.
7) Strawberry cookies-very easy to turn, zero viable pollen.

Great info man! I got a few copies of my cut to play around with, so I'll experiment a few things... thanks for sharing your experience!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
A wetting agent like tween 80 (polysorbate 80) is always a plus.

:tiphat:
Careful. This compound has been known to allow neurotoxins to cross the blood-brain barrier. Whatever toxins are in *my* system... it really messes me up when I eat Polysorbate-80(tween-80) and polysorbate-60(tween-60).

It's in an amazing number of foods these days.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the fear of polysorbate 80 ...

the fear of polysorbate 80 ...

Careful. This compound has been known to allow neurotoxins to cross the blood-brain barrier. Whatever toxins are in *my* system... it really messes me up when I eat Polysorbate-80(tween-80) and polysorbate-60(tween-60).

It's in an amazing number of foods these days.

Yeah, not really in the subject because you don't smoke or eat reversed males ... Well so I hope for you .

A wetting agent like tween 80 (polysorbate 80) is always a plus.

The body of information is wetting agent to increase STS effect , tween 80 just an example .
But,it's nice to penetrate deep in the plant .

And if you really care about health stuffs ... You don't use STS but CS .

:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My caution is for handling tween-80 only, specifically for the reasons I stated. The fact it's readily available in foods and other products which impact the body, makes this an even larger concern.

Of course, if you're completely without toxins in your body you have nothing to worry about anyway. That's what percentage of the population? ;) While we're at it, show me harm studies from STS. :)

(swimming in an ocean of tween-80, but can't figure out why you're always forgetting what you went into the kitchen for.)

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Update:

Hi all, this is the final post I make regarding my STS single plant reversal S1 seed making experiment. (Read the previous pages).

Today was harvest day of the plants I grew out from seeds that I made myself following the method that was written up by D.C. into this thread using STS. These seeds were made from only one female plant that got 'reversed' and pollinated itself, resulting into the harvest of S1 female seeds.
I grew out a select number of seeds (100% germination) and had zero issues throughout the entire grow cycle. So no hermies.

Below are a couple of bud pictures moments prior to harvest.

Strain: Power Plant
Current date: 23/11/2019
Start from seed: 05/09/2019 (broke the surface of the soil on this day)
12/12: 19/09/2019

Remarks: zero remarks or issues throughout the entire grow.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cheers.

Latest posts

Latest posts