What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

djonkoman

Veteran
They say to use gloves only because the silver will stain your hands black.
I'd definitely wear gloves when making the solution. it's the silver nitrate that especially does the staining I think, not the sts. either way, when I mixed mine, I wore gloves, and still got a few black dots on my hands that lasted for a few weeks. must've been a few pin-sized holes in the gloves or something.

but the finished sts solution I always handle without goves and never noticed any staining on my hands. including the undiluted stock solution.

as for hitting other plants, I'd worry about that. personally I use only a few drops per plant. since it's a hormone-thing it only needs a very low dose to work, so I'd think liquid dripping on other plants would easily turn them too.

I use drops(more convenient imo), but if you spray, I'd take the plant to be sprayed out of your growroom, spray it somewhere secluded with a plastic box behind it to catch the spray that passes, and only put it back after it's dripped out.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
First time I used it, I ended up getting it all over my left hand. No staining or any other issues except one, that area of my hand stayed colder than the skin around it for about a week. I wanted to use an IR-thermo, but didn't have access to one at the time. lol

G

I'd definitely wear gloves when making the solution. it's the silver nitrate that especially does the staining I think, not the sts. either way, when I mixed mine, I wore gloves, and still got a few black dots on my hands that lasted for a few weeks. must've been a few pin-sized holes in the gloves or something.

but the finished sts solution I always handle without goves and never noticed any staining on my hands. including the undiluted stock solution.

as for hitting other plants, I'd worry about that. personally I use only a few drops per plant. since it's a hormone-thing it only needs a very low dose to work, so I'd think liquid dripping on other plants would easily turn them too.

I use drops(more convenient imo), but if you spray, I'd take the plant to be sprayed out of your growroom, spray it somewhere secluded with a plastic box behind it to catch the spray that passes, and only put it back after it's dripped out.
Thanks. Makes total sense. I wasn't aware of this just using drops dosage, so ill just give her a few spritzes here on out. Shes been sprayed twice so far. May have got some drippage on a couple leaves of girls around 5th week of flo. Dang.

meizzwang

Thanks for the inspiring thread Douglas.Curtis! I got a chuckle out of the original instructions, it should have said "if you can mix up powdered Cool Aid with water on a hot summer day, congrats, you can do this shit!"

Feeling confident about my coolaid mixing skills and after reading through the whole thread, I went ahead and made some STS solution, but jimmy rigged it a bit because it seems the consensus is you only need a few drops per plant.

Regarding quantities to make, I basically divided everything in the original recipe by 3. The only trouble I ran into is my scale: it doesn't measure 100ths of a gram, so I had to do an educated guess on the silver nitrate. The numbers worked out well for the rest of the measurements, doesn't seem like you need anything fancy to measure out the volumes of liquids. Another thing I noticed is the instructions say to measure out 500ml of water and place 3.9g of sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate into it. I guess the volume of liquid displaced by the 3.9g grams has on the end volume is insignificant? In other words, you'll end up with slightly more than 500ml of solution in the end. I'm guessing the margin of error, if any, is very insignificant and doesn't affect results.

Okay, here's what I did, hopefully it's still the same concentration in the end:
Solution A: 0.17g Silver nitrate dissolved into 166.7ml DI water
Solution B: 1.3g Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate into 166.7ml DI Water

16.7ml Solution B poured into 16.7 ml solution A=33.4ml of concentrated STS. 300ml DI water was added to this solution to get the 1 to 9 ratio, end volume was 333.4ml of STS. (side question: Should I have added 266.7ml of water to get 300ml total solution in the end?)

I guess my question is, does cutting the recipe into thirds as outlined above end up with same concentration of STS in the end? I'll find out in a few weeks if this works. the second day after placing the clones on 12/12, I placed as much as I could (a few drops only) on every growth point. A few hours later, after the drops dried up, I added a few more and that's all I plan on doing from this point on. If I don't see male balls upon preflowering, I'll do one more treatment at that time.

Cvh

Supermod
Is it possible to treat a single branch in order to pollinate the rest of a single plant with STS or will the whole plant grow balls?

Yes, read through the entire thread. I have made seeds with a single plant by reversing only some specific areas. I have posted the progress and results into this thread over multiple picture updates.

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks for the inspiring thread Douglas.Curtis! I got a chuckle out of the original instructions, it should have said "if you can mix up powdered Cool Aid with water on a hot summer day, congrats, you can do this shit!"

Feeling confident about my coolaid mixing skills and after reading through the whole thread, I went ahead and made some STS solution, but jimmy rigged it a bit because it seems the consensus is you only need a few drops per plant.

Regarding quantities to make, I basically divided everything in the original recipe by 3. The only trouble I ran into is my scale: it doesn't measure 100ths of a gram, so I had to do an educated guess on the silver nitrate. The numbers worked out well for the rest of the measurements, doesn't seem like you need anything fancy to measure out the volumes of liquids. Another thing I noticed is the instructions say to measure out 500ml of water and place 3.9g of sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate into it. I guess the volume of liquid displaced by the 3.9g grams has on the end volume is insignificant? In other words, you'll end up with slightly more than 500ml of solution in the end. I'm guessing the margin of error, if any, is very insignificant and doesn't affect results.

Okay, here's what I did, hopefully it's still the same concentration in the end:
Solution A: 0.17g Silver nitrate dissolved into 166.7ml DI water
Solution B: 1.3g Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate into 166.7ml DI Water

16.7ml Solution B poured into 16.7 ml solution A=33.4ml of concentrated STS. 300ml DI water was added to this solution to get the 1 to 9 ratio, end volume was 333.4ml of STS. (side question: Should I have added 266.7ml of water to get 300ml total solution in the end?)

I guess my question is, does cutting the recipe into thirds as outlined above end up with same concentration of STS in the end? I'll find out in a few weeks if this works. the second day after placing the clones on 12/12, I placed as much as I could (a few drops only) on every growth point. A few hours later, after the drops dried up, I added a few more and that's all I plan on doing from this point on. If I don't see male balls upon preflowering, I'll do one more treatment at that time.

I have recalculated your math and you should be good. It should indeed be that simple that if you divide everything by 3 that you'll end up with the same concentration in the end product but the volume will be 3 times less.

For your side question.
(Side question: Should I have added 266.7ml of water to get 300ml total solution in the end?)
No, you dit it correctly. It's 300ml in your case you have to use. And not 266,7 ml.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Though I did not check your math, dividing all measurements by the same number will work. :)

Yes, a single branch can be converted. You can spray an isolated branch. There are also success stories now from using single drops on the base of each flower site. :)
(lol, I need to refresh before posting. Ty CVH!)

Cvh

Supermod
The only trouble I ran into is my scale: it doesn't measure 100ths of a gram, so I had to do an educated guess on the silver nitrate.

How did you then measure this part? Silver Nitrate is very heavy, 0.5 grams are already only a couple of grains and you need 3 times less. You can't compare it to the sodium thiosulfate which is much less heavy.

If you have to eyeball it, then measure out 0.5 gram, crush it really fine and devide it in 3 equal parts.

meizzwang

Good question Cvh! So to recap, I had to measure out 0.17 grams silver nitrate but my scale only shows either 0.1g or 0.2g grams. What I did was slowly added the silver nitrate to the scale right until the scale tipped to 0.2 grams. I then estimated what 0.03 looks like and took it out of the pile.

Thank you for the suggestion! That's also a very good idea!

G

2 weeks flower

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

G.O. Joe

Veteran

For a few minutes at least, newly stained hands can be washed mostly to totally unstained by thiosulfate.

G

From what I coud tell, STS is more reliable. Than I came to find the ingredients were alot more accessible then I had asummed, and cheaper than buying CS, so a win win.
From observation it looks at though the cookie dub is turning into nut city.

Latest posts

Latest posts