What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was taking fan leaves from the plants in one room at day 30, I got lazy and instead of nipping or cutting the leaves off, I started pulling down and jerking the leaves off. This worked for most of them, but many ended up stripping some stem fiber down the stem. This is very bad if this happens, it's basically an open wound and unless the plants are totally healthy, these stripped stems can promote mildew and mold in the stems.

bs0

When I was taking fan leaves from the plants in one room at day 30, I got lazy and instead of nipping or cutting the leaves off, I started pulling down and jerking the leaves off. This worked for most of them, but many ended up stripping some stem fiber down the stem. This is very bad if this happens, it's basically an open wound and unless the plants are totally healthy, these stripped stems can promote mildew and mold in the stems.

Yes this is a bad spot to get in to!

Personally I grab them as close to the stem as possible and twist them - just roll the stem in my fingers. It will just pop the leaf off like nobody's business!

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Some of us are removing leaves to do exactly that, control stretch. There is nothing desirable about stretch if you have limited headroom. I am not sure why anyone would want a plant to stretch unless you are outdoors.
here's a reason. when growing sog in a small tent or cab, you need the stretch to get the size you need. Clones vegged in cloner get put into containers and are only a few inches (2-4) above net pot.
if you need them to finish at 24" you need as much stretch as you can get.

By DiFoli, a grower using this style can stop cutting off lowest branches and keep everything. Thus improving yeild.

The fact that there is a direct correlation between limiting stretch and leaf removal seems to indicate that the fans are primarily responsible for structural growth.
But keeping the leaves for as long as "is reasonable" to make sure you still get good root growth.

I think that this way of growing can be tweaked. There is not ONE way to do it... just like everything else in the hobby. Just add this to the "dial it in" to do list.

k33ftr33z

here's a reason. when growing sog in a small tent or cab, you need the stretch to get the size you need. Clones vegged in cloner get put into containers and are only a few inches (2-4) above net pot.
if you need them to finish at 24" you need as much stretch as you can get.

By DiFoli, a grower using this style can stop cutting off lowest branches and keep everything. Thus improving yeild.

But keeping the leaves for as long as "is reasonable" to make sure you still get good root growth.

I think that this way of growing can be tweaked. There is not ONE way to do it... just like everything else in the hobby. Just add this to the "dial it in" to do list.

Yes that's true. In fact I thought a little more about it and I do allow a little stretch on plants that may be a little undersized. Most any stretch allowed is translated into lateral reach as those arms get bent out to lie on the net.

Overall, my application of the defoliation technique is used more spontaneously and less rigidly than it sounds. I do it more by observation than schedule.

vwgtiron

Yes that's true. In fact I thought a little more about it and I do allow a little stretch on plants that may be a little undersized. Most any stretch allowed is translated into lateral reach as those arms get bent out to lie on the net.

Overall, my application of the defoliation technique is used more spontaneously and less rigidly than it sounds. I do it more by observation than schedule.

Well I trimmed up some cheese and the master Kush we will see what happens. And yes you were right moving plants is a pain and they are in 15 gal planters. My buddy will be over tomorrow and we are going to put the pots into the ground and build some kind of easy opening tent I can cover with poly.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I've always been quick to trim my leaves back at the first sign that they're spent. I start this from the moment they come out of the cloner and get dropped into the soil. I have decided after reading this thread (and subsequently reading some of the suggested threads IN this thread) to be a little more aggressive with my pruning. I gave all the ladies in my cab a more "butch" haircut at the last watering and noticed an instant improvement in light penetration when I had them all back in the cab.

I've been tracking my gram/plant ratios over the last several harvests, so it will be interesting to see if there is a significant difference between the last and this one. If there is, I will consider an even more extreme buzz-cut for future generations.

ass2mouth

i just stripped a SSSDH :wallbash:

k33ftr33z

this is a quote from one of my favorite threads

That's a decent lollipop job. I don't recommend removing all those bottom and mid producing sites. Still the finish looks good. His rule of thumb is to remove the branch if the leaves on that branch are getting shaded out. My solution is to remove the shading leaves and leave the branches and sites. I'd be interested in knowing the yield on that plant.

Last edited:

Dorje113

That 20 day example is far more stripped than anything I have ever done. Still the plant thrives.

That's pretty close to what I do, but I leave a bit more on, maybe 3" more, and my plants take up a sq meter each, so are a lot bigger. I have to move 'em this week, I'll take some pics when I do, they're 3 weeks into flower or so, the stretch is about done...

It also depends on the light, I'd do exactly that if I was growing underr fluros, but with 1000W you get enough penetration to have a solid foot + (depending on strain density of plant and leaves) of good vertical growing space even without taking fan leaves off.

k33ftr33z

Great fucking thread Keef!

Much respect to you and all the contributors!

I've been doing this growing-business for about 6 yrs now but still consider myself very much a beginner, so I would humbly ask of your advice:

This is my current grow:

picture.php

More pictures.

These are 13 WWxBB and Extreme indicas grown from seed, they've been vegged for about 7 weeks and are enjoying their first week under 12/12.

Enviro is a SecretJardin DR300W tent 10'x5', NFT-hydro with plenty of aeration and recirculation, RH and temps are good.

Lighting is 2x600 (in the hoods) and 2x400 (vertical). All MH (will switch the 600's to HPS's when most of the stretch have stopped).

I usually supercrop and trim lower branches. Clones have been taken.

What's your opinion on my grow in general and would you think I could benefit from defoliation at this stage?

Any input is more than appreciated! :thank you:

Cheers,

ITTG

:joint:

Sorry, got busy and days pass. Your setup looks good, plants healthy. You could definitely deleaf at that stage. Start with removing the fans from all the branches and watch the results. Then remove progressively more. Don't remove any branches or sites if you want to commit to this method. The idea is shade removal, NOT budsite removal. Allow them to releaf for a week or so and remove again when they look leafy. Report back.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Just my 2 cents

Just my 2 cents

Ive been doing this from the beginning of this grow. I just found this thread and love it. The one with the rubber bands have been in flower for 8 days and the other 2 pics is the same plant in veg.
How long should i continue in flower?

Before After

ITryToGrow

Sorry, got busy and days pass. Your setup looks good, plants healthy. You could definitely deleaf at that stage. Start with removing the fans from all the branches and watch the results. Then remove progressively more. Don't remove any branches or sites if you want to commit to this method. The idea is shade removal, NOT budsite removal. Allow them to releaf for a week or so and remove again when they look leafy. Report back.

Sir, yes sir! :D

I actually did a modest (shading fans and leaves that weren't 100% healthy) trim-session this past weekend and things are looking good still.

Will do another session this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for your time and this thread man!

Cheers,

ITTG

k33ftr33z

Ive been doing this from the beginning of this grow. I just found this thread and love it. The one with the rubber bands have been in flower for 8 days and the other 2 pics is the same plant in veg.
How long should i continue in flower?

Before After

Are you asking "how long should I continue to remove leaves in flower?" ?

You should let those releaf for a week-10days. Then again if they appear leafy and shading the lowers. Same for the clones too. Maybe let the next set get just a little larger for bud. Plants look healthy, thick stems.

so i bought into this thread and decided to test it out
i used to lollipop my buds but now realize maybe the bottoms will fill out if i thin out the fans leaves - plus there is so much vegetation who cares if i pluck some fan leaves
my room is pretty crowded right now so getting rid of excess leaf doesn't worry me
i have been taking off the older fan leaves now starting at about 10 days into the stretch
i love seeing all the budsites exposed to the light and growing towards it
within a couple of days of regrowth you can't even tell they have been plucked
air flow is improved - i'm loving this idea
now when i look down at the plants all i see is exposed budsites
thanks for starting this thread - always fun to try new things
i'll post some pics soon

k33ftr33z

Just one question, when you prune off the big fan leaves, do you make any adjustment in feeding schedule?

Have no feeding schedule. This is recirculating hydro...feed all the time until it's time to flush. No change to nutes either. Healthy plants releaf quickly and suck up plenty of food while they're at it. Ppm is kept about 1200-1500.

I'm not a nut about daily adjustments. Every third day is good enough for me. ph=hi5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts