What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They don't even look similar, imo...
The only similarity they share is that they're buds caked in trichs!

Go fuck yourself!

bigherb

Veteran
Those are my pics from a few months ago, they are the same dead skunk clone in the comparison post below.

I found that plant in a bag seed in one of my buds.

Found 2 seeds, grew one, that was dead skunk.

Later I found out it looks exactly like the pic from SSSC

What year is the bagseed from ?

Did the bud the bagseed come from have a name ?

What area was it sourced ?

1luvbigherb

FireIn.TheSky

BH it was not from a purchased bag it is a seed found in an unknown clone that I have been running for years. Seed found a year ago maybe. I still have the other one in the fridge.

The mother in which the seed was found is known to pop a few male flowers at the end of flower. I would assume it is an s1 of the mother.

However it grows competely different than the mother.

The mother has better calyx to leaf ratio, stinks to high hell but the smell has other elements to it, the mother pounds out the resin and turns pink.

I don't want to hijack this guy's thread.

My personal opinion is people are barking up the wrong tree, same with the haze. I feel like everyone is chasing after a magical unicorn.

The things you want will find you when you are not looking.

Dankwolf

Lets look at the usfull side of things .

Lets look at the usfull side of things .

"Fire in the sky" you say you are able to get a rks smell right? So would you mind telling us you growing style ( soil hydro what ferts what amendments typ of light and your light schedule ) as i belive these factors contribute to the possibility of smell even being able to be found ?

Also the low leaf ratio has in my experiance had low rks smell . so i find it odd that ypu are getting it ?

Cadfael

When I tasted a Road kill flavor, it was off a Cali-o variant from about 15 years ago.

I would think you best bet would be to cross your Cali-o with an old school skunk.

My latest odd pheno, which lead me to find this thread..is remarkably like RKS. It came from a 24k pack (Kosher Kush x Tangie). Which brings up the question of how closely Tangie is to the old Cali-O.

It is not caused by magical lights or magical soil with powdered vole scrotum in it. Just good old genetics and rolling the dice.

FireIn.TheSky

"Fire in the sky" you say you are able to get a rks smell right? So would you mind telling us you growing style ( soil hydro what ferts what amendments typ of light and your light schedule ) as i belive these factors contribute to the possibility of smell even being able to be found ?

Also the low leaf ratio has in my experiance had low rks smell . so i find it odd that ypu are getting it ?

Organic soil organic nutrients

Pretty far fetched to say high leaf equals more rks. Especially since rks isn't common or abundant how can you make such a wild generalization.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is not caused by magical lights or magical soil with powdered vole scrotum in it. Just good old genetics and rolling the dice.

I quite agree, there is no magical soil. However, many of the best grows seem to have "magical" results when there soils are pretty high in Calcium.

Just visited a grower this week here in Cali that tried his recipes in various parts of the US and had terrible results. Same nutrients, same lights, grow design, etc... everything. What was really different? The worm castings and organic materials have a much different chemical profile in Cali than in other parts of the states. I will have a whole lot of those soil analysis comparisons between several states in the next 30 days.

Water quality also varies greatly as well. All of these are dynamics that must be understood and calculated for. Lots of you Cali growers are just in the right place with the right water. Makes it a lot easier that is for sure!

There is no magic. There is science. And so far, the science is consistently showing us the same over and over. High Ca, in the proportions with other bases that need to be maintained, the more amazing the grow.

We have a pretty big data base formed from a number of growers from this last season. The numbers don't lie nor do the yields nor the quality.

FireIn.TheSky

It's minerals in general this is why organically grown produce grown with attention to minerals whoops the ass of chemically grown produce grown in barron soil where the chems provide just the npk the plant needs to look pretty and grow fat. High minerals = high sugar = better flavor , smell etc...

Dankwolf

When I tasted a Road kill flavor, it was off a Cali-o variant from about 15 years ago.

I would think you best bet would be to cross your Cali-o with an old school skunk.

My latest odd pheno, which lead me to find this thread..is remarkably like RKS. It came from a 24k pack (Kosher Kush x Tangie). Which brings up the question of how closely Tangie is to the old Cali-O.

Yes i belive my cotton candy (strong skunk smell crossed with the cali-o is going to be the winner) .

As far as light afffecting smell i have to strongly dissagree in the fact that lighting as far as 12/12 ,13/11 and 11/13 affect smell considerably. Especially in todays strains .

Also bat guano for instance relly helps bring out that rks smell compered to alfalfa for n source. Bat guano high in p also works better then bone meal to bring out the rks smell . not up for debate .

Many have seen hydros inability to bring out the terpings you can get with soil and soiless . for i am sure more reasons the just hydros lack of diveristy and or microbial life.

Dankwolf

Organic soil organic nutrients

Pretty far fetched to say high leaf equals more rks. Especially since rks isn't common or abundant how can you make such a wild generalization.

Rks is above all else genetic and there for the genetics that tend to produce it are leafyer. I hate to tell you but there are more the one typ/strain of cannabis.

FireIn.TheSky

I think that's unprovable BS.

Especially since there is a lack of samples to base it on.

But then again, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Dankwolf

I think that's unprovable BS.

Especially since there is a lack of samples to base it on.

But then again, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

My goal is to bring a full rks back. I did not know i needed your aproval for my project and or direction . shit alot of people are going have issues with sending all there samples through you . are you accredited lol

The hole site is based on are word if you need more then that i would stay off the internet and keep all your converstaions in person . also stay away from articals and books tgey must be wrong as well sense they dont come with samples lol

FireIn.TheSky

I'm just saying you seem to make broad genralizations about things you don't have personally.

That's like me saying a unicorn can only have a rainbow colored tail. That horse with a spike on its head is not a unicorn because its tail is blue.

You know as well as I do that this thread is 99% fluff and fairy tale.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's minerals in general this is why organically grown produce grown with attention to minerals whoops the ass of chemically grown produce grown in barron soil where the chems provide just the npk the plant needs to look pretty and grow fat. High minerals = high sugar = better flavor , smell etc...

Agreed Fire!

However, the balance of those minerals is the key. Calcium has to proportionately at 80 to 85% Ca if not more. Seems like there are quite a few Cali soils that get real close to that number and result in spectacular grows.

My farms are organic and our goal is high nutrient density. A normal avocado has 22 to 25% oil. Mine are 37-39%. That is what nutrient density can achieve but only when balanced. In this sense, Calcium really is the King as potassium barely needs to be between 4 and 7 or even 8%.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

I quite agree, there is no magical soil. However, many of the best grows seem to have "magical" results when there soils are pretty high in Calcium.

Just visited a grower this week here in Cali that tried his recipes in various parts of the US and had terrible results. Same nutrients, same lights, grow design, etc... everything. What was really different? The worm castings and organic materials have a much different chemical profile in Cali than in other parts of the states. I will have a whole lot of those soil analysis comparisons between several states in the next 30 days.

Water quality also varies greatly as well. All of these are dynamics that must be understood and calculated for. Lots of you Cali growers are just in the right place with the right water. Makes it a lot easier that is for sure!

There is no magic. There is science. And so far, the science is consistently showing us the same over and over. High Ca, in the proportions with other bases that need to be maintained, the more amazing the grow.

We have a pretty big data base formed from a number of growers from this last season. The numbers don't lie nor do the yields nor the quality.

this ^^^ and genetics

Dankwolf

I'm just saying you seem to make broad genralizations about things you don't have personally.

That's like me saying a unicorn can only have a rainbow colored tail. That horse with a spike on its head is not a unicorn because its tail is blue.

You know as well as I do that this thread is 99% fluff and fairy tale.

No this thread is 50% relavant info and 50% drama.

I am not claiming that there is one kind of rks all i am saying is in the 14 + years of growing many different starins and helping other grow many differnt strains / pushing product . that all rks profiles worth speaking of had the traits i have described throught this thread no this is not science . i am not talking about a unicorn from a fairy tell . rks was vary prevalent 10 years ago in my area seen it smoked it pushed it for years when i was moveing product before the crash of the market .

By the sounds of it you have not seen held or smoked it .trust me if you had you would remember and if you had it you could be vary rich or vary dead . the rks i speak of has a high interest to the commercial community due to the fact it pulled the highest price per unit and was reserved before it was even in a bag . it was its own market no joke . if you want a pic of it look in the big book of buds under " trinity " that ine was pulled from Eugene oregon but trust me it was else where as well and was here long before the name " trinity" .

At this point i am done adding to the drama .

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
this ^^^ and genetics

Beaner,

We need to find genetics that are more tolerant of carbonates and bicarbonates.

In every industry, citrus, avocado, grapes, etc... we know which stock can handle what problems.

This is a huge issue and the ones that work on this are going to get miles ahead of the rest quickly for those growers that have these issues!

And yes, balance with out genetics, forget it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I've smelled rks notes in my og kush (reserva) and I'm it's crosses. It is never the primary smell and has never tasted skunky. I have also smelled skunk in several imported bricks. The strongest skunk smell I've encountered was from a sagmartha matanuska tundra, which smoked sweet. Based on this I think rks should be able to be isolated without using "skunk" strains. I also think environment may play a role. I've been working with the og cutting for 7 years and many of her offspring since. And I only notice the rks notes a few times a year. Next time I will have to make a note of any potential triggers. Much like using cold to encourage purple in a not purple strain?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran

Glad to read this. I have a pack of the 24k and the sour tangie i should start. I smoked some super delicious extract that lead to the purchase. It was in no way rks, but like a tangerine thc bomb repeatedly exploded for my taste buds for minutes after a dab.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Agreed Fire!

However, the balance of those minerals is the key. Calcium has to proportionately at 80 to 85% Ca if not more. Seems like there are quite a few Cali soils that get real close to that number and result in spectacular grows.

My farms are organic and our goal is high nutrient density. A normal avocado has 22 to 25% oil. Mine are 37-39%. That is what nutrient density can achieve but only when balanced. In this sense, Calcium really is the King as potassium barely needs to be between 4 and 7 or even 8%.

Yuppers. All about Synergy/Interaction/Catalists.