What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Tynehead Tom

I've been told that the original skunk #1 that filled grow houses in the BC lowermainland back in the late 70's/80's is still around. That would probably be this road kill everyone talks about as I remember those rank plants when my uncle grew them years ago. My first memory of skunk weed was the fall of 85 , I traded a box of bottle rockets for a bag of pot. Was grade 11 and the first time me and my friends got high LOL
Skunk wasn't the most powerful bud back then though it was certainly the strongest smelling. Another bud, super light coloured, rock hard chunky nuggets, called elephant weed. To this day, I can still remember being stupefied by that bud.
I'm endeavoring to get a cut of this skunk 1 plant and when/if I do, I'll post the grow for you folks to gauge authenticity. These days it's a tall order to find genuine old school cuts but I am connected to a group of Canadian growers where at pushin 50 , I'm by far the young fella in the crowd. :D

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Been busy sorry for the lack of updates . i might have a virus transfered by bugs :( . Not for sure but might have to start over . keeps poping up in flower rigjt at 20 to 25 days . thought my girl did it last run but it happened again. Will through up specs and pics in my cotton candy thread .

Yeah get some pics and description up in this thread if you don't mind, or post another one in the infirmary to see if we can't collectively figure out what's going on. :yes:

This is how Skunk #1 looked grown under the sun in a greenhouse still a few weeks to go. Un-manicured yet, and yes this is the 1990's sweeter version, the RKS pre sweet version was slightly more leaf, as well as a bit coarser but very similar. I am not sure where my photos from late 1970's are, if I can find them I will post them.
-SamS

Yes if you find those please post them, that would be much appreciated. :good:

Dankwolf

Yeah get some pics and description up in this thread if you don't mind, or post another one in the infirmary to see if we can't collectively figure out what's going on. :yes:

I put picks discription up in cotton candy thread. Link is below .

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Just put my Skunk 91 beans in a paper towel last night and this morning I had one or two with the tap roots sticking out already, 10 hours! Just checked them again and put some more water on the towel and saw that there is 100% germination rate with all 12!

Poking around your thread it sounds like you're starting to figure out the problem? I hope that's the case! :good:

PDX Dopesmoker

Just put my Skunk 91 beans in a paper towel last night and this morning I had one or two with the tap roots sticking out already, 10 hours! Just checked them again and put some more water on the towel and saw that there is 100% germination rate with all 12!

Poking around your thread it sounds like you're starting to figure out the problem? I hope that's the case! :good:

I saw that, thats good luck already when you get 12 seeds out of an 11-pack. I got 7 seeds out of a bag marked "6 seeds" last spring and got 6 dank females and only one male.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I am not trying to recreat sams skunk 1 or cheese(witch are great strains on there own). I am looking to recreate the rks that used to be around oregon and many other states . i am not sure it was even related to sams skunk in any way honestly (i have no prof) . many have tried to get a real rks out of skunk 1 and cheese but after playing around with cheese and skunk 1 i see no way to get a true rks skunk out of them . it seems to have been breed out of them if it was even ever there .

The rks/ skunk i speak of is in every thing its just hidden . i will explain the hidden part at some point . i am going to be isolating geneticly what it takes to get the rks smell /taste . There is more to it then just genetics. i will be going over that aswell and maybe slownickel will hop in and help elaborate on this part of it.i am attemeting recreat the genetics that will produce the smell and taste nothing more nothing less and if you search the back ground on the strains i am using they all have a skunk /rks. Smell, taste, looks and some even my have the rks in them .

The skunk that most refer to are sams skunk witch repersents vary little rks if any in my opinion . i am not looking to recreat that . Many have attepted this and what do we have nothing .so i am after the Afghan side of things that is repersented in many strains .

I have some info and experiance with true rks and it is not what most would think from what i know and have seen . if you trace the time line of when skunk arived and what genetics arived at the same time it will tell the story of where the rks came from and i belive it was afgan/northern lights that brought us that unforgettable rks that i was vary familiar with . light green /deep red hairs/ leafer and triangle shaped buds .

I still have a lot more to add it will take time i am vary busy this week end but i still plan to describ my strian choices.

G `day DW

NL was bred in Seattle .
Skunk in cali .

Never seen or heard of Road Kill NL .

Mexican red hair ?
Do the pistils not shrink into the calyxes when its mature ?
Or is it picked before it reaches that stage of maturity .

Nevil seems to think Ortega Maple Leaf Indica was more Skunk than sam`s Skunk .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I saw that, thats good luck already when you get 12 seeds out of an 11-pack. I got 7 seeds out of a bag marked "6 seeds" last spring and got 6 dank females and only one male.

Yeah I'd be better about posting pics on here too but it's such a pain in the ass compared to Instagram. I keep meaning to update my journals....soon. Beyond stoked to see what's in these beans. :headbange

Stinkhorn123

Sam that last picture you posted brings back memories, to me the extremely unique soft delicate taste of your sweet Skunk1 is second to none. I found it far superior to the skunky skunks which by the way we only found in crosses of Skunk1. Regardless, I still think this is a great project you are undertaking Dank.

Dankwolf

G `day DW

NL was bred in Seattle .
Skunk in cali .

Never seen or heard of Road Kill NL .

Mexican red hair ?
Do the pistils not shrink into the calyxes when its mature ?
Or is it picked before it reaches that stage of maturity .

Nevil seems to think Ortega Maple Leaf Indica was more Skunk than sam`s Skunk .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I agree sams skunk #1 was big in cali but it has little resemblance to the rks that i have had more then my fare share of. Also nl was to the best of my knowledge a Washington strain . if i were to look for the rks cut i would look around Washington just my 2 cents .

My reasoning behind the use of both is i am from oregon and have seen the rks i seek from tacoma Washington to Astoria oregon and as far as time line of when it arived it would lead one to belive some one had a rks skunk probably from the south west coast and crossed it with a nl from up north (why no one may ever know).the rks i speek of had a slite pine aroma and look like a heavy Afghan in color and appearance.

Maple leaf could have been used in the rks i seek but due to the fact i have never grown ,seen or smoked maple leaf India's i would have no idea . it does not seem to fit the time line in my opinion but i really have no real knowledge of this strain . this is where the team effort here on icmag is slowly sheding light on these question of origin and genetic make up of the rks many seek .

The mex red hair that i am familiar with has long deep red hairs all the way to maturity .

I am itching to get some seeds going asap but have had garden issues + this awsome holiday crap to deal with lol (i dislike this time of year)

Tynehead Tom

i bet folks would be able to put the pieces together on a lot of pacific northwest stuff if more old school folks from the BC gulf islands/sunshine coast and van isl chimed in.
I know without a doubt the connection between "here" , Washington/Oregon/California/Arizona and florida was very strong in the 70's and 80's.
The only Skunk I remember from the 80's filled neighborhoods with the strong smell of sweet strong skunk cabbage. If you had a grow nearby, there was no hiding it. When it burned, it smelled of burning tires and that skunk cabbage smell... very much like a lingering skunk spray smell. Road kill ? I dunno, It was always called BC Skunk so perhaps was from Sam's original stinky stuff or perhaps bred here and selected for the reek.
I remember VanHalen's 5150 tour in Vancouver in 87 , the year after Expo, all one could smell in the air was the thick fog of quality afghan hash and BC Skunk LOL was a glorious evening.

this is a cool project you got going on here. For all the attention the RKS gets these days, someone is bound to strike the magic mix and find it again.

Dankwolf

i bet folks would be able to put the pieces together on a lot of pacific northwest stuff if more old school folks from the BC gulf islands/sunshine coast and van isl chimed in.
I know without a doubt the connection between "here" , Washington/Oregon/California/Arizona and florida was very strong in the 70's and 80's.
The only Skunk I remember from the 80's filled neighborhoods with the strong smell of sweet strong skunk cabbage. If you had a grow nearby, there was no hiding it. When it burned, it smelled of burning tires and that skunk cabbage smell... very much like a lingering skunk spray smell. Road kill ? I dunno, It was always called BC Skunk so perhaps was from Sam's original stinky stuff or perhaps bred here and selected for the reek.
I remember VanHalen's 5150 tour in Vancouver in 87 , the year after Expo, all one could smell in the air was the thick fog of quality afghan hash and BC Skunk LOL was a glorious evening.

this is a cool project you got going on here. For all the attention the RKS gets these days, someone is bound to strike the magic mix and find it again.

This is my plan exactly . i figured if i came in and helped drop the true story or at least the parts i had we would start seeing the full true story unfold . rks was prevalent at one point so there is more then one direction but through this thread we all have leared alot of valuable info . enough for me to change my direction a bit . i believe this thread has brought alot of light to the subject more so then any orher i know of . we know now for 100% fact Afghan is a major player in The make up .now we need to find the mistery strain that contributed to the final compound/cbd/smell and taste . some say sams skunk 1 some say Columbian some say mex red hair any one ?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still say a room of sams girls and self em all and kind of open pollinate...
You'd see the recessives and make selection easier because you will have mostly females in the s1... He already said it is there.

We crowd source the funds, get the beans, self a shitload of females and pass em out and get the community to pop a shitload of beans?

Sam we are poor farmers how much to break us off a lot of the good good bad germ and lifes work and all? Is it an amount we could gather amongst friends or do we need angel investors?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What year are you talking about?

The plant I showed has no relation to skunk #1 that I know of.

It just looks like the skunk 1 in that picture and happens to smell like you hit one with your car. Its a true dead skunk thus the name.

Did you click on the photos with my question?
I asked about the first two not the two with SSSC as one.
-SamS

FireIn.TheSky

Those are my pics from a few months ago, they are the same dead skunk clone in the comparison post below.

I found that plant in a bag seed in one of my buds.

Found 2 seeds, grew one, that was dead skunk.

Later I found out it looks exactly like the pic from SSSC

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those are my pics from a few months ago, they are the same dead skunk clone in the comparison post below.

I found that plant in a bag seed in one of my buds.

Found 2 seeds, grew one, that was dead skunk.

Later I found out it looks exactly like the pic from SSSC

I wouldn't say exactly...

I can clearly see that the SSSC SK#1 has longer petiols & skinnier leaves as well as a rounded top compared to your plant. They'd be easy to distinguish one from another.

Bud shots, however, don't really do well for comparing plants, imo. More information is needed.

FireIn.TheSky

You are a numbnut of course not exactly by the literal definition of the word.

It's a figure of speech, like you look exactly like your dad, when someone says that they are not saying u look like a clone of your dad.

Sometimes I think this place is over run with autistics

Latest posts

Latest posts