What's new

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I quite agree, there is no magical soil. However, many of the best grows seem to have "magical" results when there soils are pretty high in Calcium.

Just visited a grower this week here in Cali that tried his recipes in various parts of the US and had terrible results. Same nutrients, same lights, grow design, etc... everything. What was really different? The worm castings and organic materials have a much different chemical profile in Cali than in other parts of the states. I will have a whole lot of those soil analysis comparisons between several states in the next 30 days.

Water quality also varies greatly as well. All of these are dynamics that must be understood and calculated for. Lots of you Cali growers are just in the right place with the right water. Makes it a lot easier that is for sure!

There is no magic. There is science. And so far, the science is consistently showing us the same over and over. High Ca, in the proportions with other bases that need to be maintained, the more amazing the grow.

We have a pretty big data base formed from a number of growers from this last season. The numbers don't lie nor do the yields nor the quality.

Indeed. Simple combination of mountain air, mountain water, ice-age minerals in the soil (plus a soil analysis to ensure the correct balance)
and a state that is super anal about organic quality amendments/products.

FireIn.TheSky

No this thread is 50% relavant info and 50% drama.

I am not claiming that there is one kind of rks all i am saying is in the 14 + years of growing many different starins and helping other grow many differnt strains / pushing product . that all rks profiles worth speaking of had the traits i have described throught this thread no this is not science . i am not talking about a unicorn from a fairy tell . rks was vary prevalent 10 years ago in my area seen it smoked it pushed it for years when i was moveing product before the crash of the market .

By the sounds of it you have not seen held or smoked it .trust me if you had you would remember and if you had it you could be vary rich or vary dead . the rks i speak of has a high interest to the commercial community due to the fact it pulled the highest price per unit and was reserved before it was even in a bag . it was its own market no joke . if you want a pic of it look in the big book of buds under " trinity " that ine was pulled from Eugene oregon but trust me it was else where as well and was here long before the name " trinity" .

At this point i am done adding to the drama .

Narrow minded. That's like saying there can only be one strain that smells like pineapple, grapefruit etc, when I reality there are many.

What ever was rks was most likely many strain not one. I cringe every time I see someone talking about fining rks skunk 1. Or saying thwy will breed a modern afghan to a mexican and a columbian to make rks.This thread will have 500 pages and go nowhere just like the rest of them.

You either have it or you don't to think you can just create it is far fetched. The fastest way to make an rks seed line would be to have and rks first then breed towards stability. To think you can just create it is absurd

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
To think you can just create it is absurd

Sam claims he still has it, but won't release it.

sigh

Really no harm in working a program to breed a
plant with the terpene profile of the original(s).

The novelty of the skunk profile will pass soon after
a new release, which, in my opinion, will happen sooner
than later.

If Sam were to release his skunky skunk, how many
would buy it, say for 200 bucks a five pac.

Good thread

Tynehead Tom

Sam claims he still has it, but won't release it.

sigh

Really no harm in working a program to breed a
plant with the terpene profile of the original(s).

The novelty of the skunk profile will pass soon after
a new release, which, in my opinion, will happen sooner
than later.

If Sam were to release his skunky skunk, how many
would buy it, say for 200 bucks a five pac.

Good thread

200 bucks a five pack LOL not a chance.
I would say at this stage of the game, if someone, anyone, in the "online" cannabis world is holding the genuine cut or genuine beans of the "road kill" original skunk..... they are either an idiot, or they are straight out lying and blowing smoke up folks arseholes.
the seed slinging game is all about making money and beating the other guy to the punch so I'd be skeptical of anyone's claims.... even the skunkman himself. I mean no offense to anyones rep or ego, I just call it like I see it.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Is Sam not technically retired? Why should he release it even if people want it? It would be nice, I would love to see him get fresh 90's sweet version of skunk myself but that doesn't mean he will. He could have them stashed in storage and doing his personal thing so he doesn't have the space or want to do the seed production of them to his satisfaction. I could be 100% wrong too but he does not owe us anything I don't think in my opinion, so I am interested to see what Dankwolf comes out with his project, it would great to see him come out with success that would encourage others to do the same, he could come with something better, similar or nothing at all but why should we rely on 1 person when others have the drive to do it themselves and for everyone?

Dankwolf

I've smelled rks notes in my og kush (reserva) and I'm it's crosses. It is never the primary smell and has never tasted skunky. I have also smelled skunk in several imported bricks. The strongest skunk smell I've encountered was from a sagmartha matanuska tundra, which smoked sweet. Based on this I think rks should be able to be isolated without using "skunk" strains. I also think environment may play a role. I've been working with the og cutting for 7 years and many of her offspring since. And I only notice the rks notes a few times a year. Next time I will have to make a note of any potential triggers. Much like using cold to encourage purple in a not purple strain?

I tried out a fire og that Deffenitly had a deep rks i was so excited but soon as you bumed a bud its smelled of strait pine then a lemon smell overwelmed everything but the lemon . but i am sure it could be bread out of it .

I ditched it cause i could not get it dieled in for the life of me . always had vary slow veg and woody round stems full of pith and it would pm and mold way to easy. Wish i could have figured out what she needed to thrive . picky picky plant.

Dankwolf

Narrow minded. That's like saying there can only be one strain that smells like pineapple, grapefruit etc, when I reality there are many.

What ever was rks was most likely many strain not one. I cringe every time I see someone talking about fining rks skunk 1. Or saying thwy will breed a modern afghan to a mexican and a columbian to make rks.This thread will have 500 pages and go nowhere just like the rest of them.

You either have it or you don't to think you can just create it is far fetched. The fastest way to make an rks seed line would be to have and rks first then breed towards stability. To think you can just create it is absurd

This is why my main search is in strains of current. I agree breeding a rks from old landraces would be near impossable .

I agree with alot of what your saying . the rks i want is more then just a smell .

I can see how one would think i am being narrow minded but i am not trying to say one strain can make the rks .all i am saying is look has alot to do with genetics and that the genetics that have had the most rks in my expeirance were leafyer . wether it be environmental or the genetics i am not sure at all this is were i need to learn why ?

I gave a few freinds clones of my cotton candy and most of them had chunkyer buds with less smell especialy rks and less yield even with same nutes same lights .so like slow says and i am trying to learn is why the soil amendments play such a huge part of healthy balanced plants displaying full genetic potential.

Dankwolf

200 bucks a five pack LOL not a chance.
I would say at this stage of the game, if someone, anyone, in the "online" cannabis world is holding the genuine cut or genuine beans of the "road kill" original skunk..... they are either an idiot, or they are straight out lying and blowing smoke up folks arseholes.
the seed slinging game is all about making money and beating the other guy to the punch so I'd be skeptical of anyone's claims.... even the skunkman himself. I mean no offense to anyones rep or ego, I just call it like I see it.

I agree fully . if i can breed a good representation i will give it out to mom and pop home growers .i cant stand the industry that has came with legalization. I almost fliped out when i first heard and saw wax and the butane used to make it . such a amazing plant on its own .

Dankwolf

Is Sam not technically retired? Why should he release it even if people want it? It would be nice, I would love to see him get fresh 90's sweet version of skunk myself but that doesn't mean he will. He could have them stashed in storage and doing his personal thing so he doesn't have the space or want to do the seed production of them to his satisfaction. I could be 100% wrong too but he does not owe us anything I don't think in my opinion, so I am interested to see what Dankwolf comes out with his project, it would great to see him come out with success that would encourage others to do the same, he could come with something better, similar or nothing at all but why should we rely on 1 person when others have the drive to do it themselves and for everyone?

Thank you

I am still hopefull that some one will bring her back even if its not me . together we may be able to bring it back and bring it back for every one not just elite growers .

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
the old Trinity clone had some qualities that would get one close to a ghani representation.............but haven't seen in yr's............

a clone closely held west of Eugene has promise...........

best in quest...........

Dankwolf

the old Trinity clone had some qualities that would get one close to a ghani representation.............but haven't seen in yr's............

a clone closely held west of Eugene has promise...........

best in quest...........

What are they calling it ?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran

Chimera has started a seed bank, Breeders Retail.
Contributors include Sam the Skunkman, among others.

troutman

Seed Whore
It's minerals in general this is why organically grown produce grown with attention to minerals whoops the ass of chemically grown produce grown in barron soil where the chems provide just the npk the plant needs to look pretty and grow fat. High minerals = high sugar = better flavor , smell etc...

I wish I has access to water from an artesian spring to grow with. Those are full of minerals that may or may not produce excellent plants.
I saw a few such springs while trout fishing last July and I suspect their cold and clear water full of minerals could be magically delicious.

B4URTIME

I'd pop all the NL#5 you could find some males and hit some females and start searching the NL#5 dropped some wicked RKS pheno's prior to 2005 when I ran them. I found some super bomb skunk pheno's that the smell and flavor was perfection. Wonder if you can still get that NL#5 it was BCSC seeds where I got the NL#5 11-15 years ago...

Tynehead Tom

I'd pop all the NL#5 you could find some males and hit some females and start searching the NL#5 dropped some wicked RKS pheno's prior to 2005 when I ran them. I found some super bomb skunk pheno's that the smell and flavor was perfection. Wonder if you can still get that NL#5 it was BCSC seeds where I got the NL#5 11-15 years ago...

NL5 was big up here in BC back in the 90's. Lot's of folks bred with it (the cut) including myself. I am aware of one Canadian breeder who's work with preserving NL5 is worth checking out, peak seeds.

B4URTIME

NL5 was big up here in BC back in the 90's. Lot's of folks bred with it (the cut) including myself. I am aware of one Canadian breeder who's work with preserving NL5 is worth checking out, peak seeds.

The NL#5 was special so I can see why it was big in the 90's, It was late 90's early 2000's when I got the NL#5 that produced the killer skunk phenos.

Tynehead Tom

We only had the cut back then, sourced from a grow close to the mcord airforce base in Washington. A couple years later I got NL1 and NL5 cuts from fresno and the mcord #5cut and fresno #5 cuts were the same plant. Not sure about beans as we only had the NL5 in clone form. She was a favorite for sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts