What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Creator" Of Kush

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbag

Veteran
"found seeds in imported weed in the 70's and 80's"...theres evidence supporting this theory as the King line from Vancouver Island is from the 70's loads of import and is remarkably similar to the "kush" and "chemdog" lines...ie the chicken b4 the og egg

well if this is true would this not mean that all bubbahs and kushes have hermaphrodite genes in them? this wouldnt be a desirable trait to have in such high marketed strains now a days.

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Those genetics technically have been around for centuries. As far as it being chemdog and OG kush goes, it seems the story that has been around for awhile and corroborated for years by Chem himself and some other people is accurate. Maybe you guys in Florida were growing the genetics, but it wasn't OG kush until it came to California. I honestly find it hard to believe that it started in Florida though. The problem is there is plenty of evidence that suggests Chems original story, but not one drop of evidence that suggests it came from florida. The fact that the original chem had hermie tendencies, you would think someone in florida would of been growing seeds of it out.

so your taking back this statement?....look mang it's not an ego thing fyi im not even from fla....some of us have been around a while...some know the story some dont...now im not sure about the last post...but from the story's that ive uncovered...i would say king or queen could be originator's of this whole kush craze...ie OG/Chem's...look at my last post...wonder why vision and xavier dont chime in?...think about it......

BongRipkenJR.

so your taking back this statement?....look mang it's not an ego thing fyi im not even from fla....some of us have been around a while...some know the story some dont...now im not sure about the last post...but from the story's that ive uncovered...i would say king or queen could be originator's of this whole kush craze...ie OG/Chem's...look at my last post...wonder why vision and xavier dont chime in?...think about it......

I am taking back my stance on it. Too much confusion. Too many claims. I do think the genetics have been around for a long time though. I dont think Chem created it. I am trying to get to the bottom of it though. I asked Matt some more questions on it. Seeing where he got the original genetics from. Where the beens came from and what not. I am waiting for his response.

Chomba64

Veteran
I found a few seeds in some "Elephant Ear & Lizard Tongue" hash from the 70's. I grew them out then. It all started when the loads started coming in the 60's and the 70's. I don't know why everybody's puffed up...They were around before all of us... Peace all..

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
There are two different stories to this OG kush deal. Here is my quick speculation.

I speculate that Matt Berger is probably correct in fact. He was probably growing it out for awhile. Okay, so here is where the other story comes into play. An ounce was probably bought for $500 and it probably did contain seeds. Chemdawg then grew them out and they weren't the same, but probably similar. You know how this story turns out though. He probably thought he was on to something, but someone else(Matt or some florida people) were already growing the "Kush" so there were probably 2 representations of the OG kush. Now there are a lot of different cuts. So more than likely, someone got seeds from a bag of weed and took credit for someones previous work, who probably did the same thing in the 80s. Something tells me that one of the most sought after and most expensive strains in history all started from some seeds found in imported weed in the 70's and 80's.

Personally I prefer the master kush to the og kush.

except for the fact that the dead show where the $500 oz was purchased was in '91. and the chem/OG lines started there after. so the unless Matt was moving his florida weed to the east coast or west coast, for these dead tour kids to take with them on tour to move, i doubt the two stories are related. they just don't mesh

I personally think they all came from people collecting seeds on the hash trails in the 70s and then selectively breeding through the 80s when the indoor revolution happened. most bagseed from the 70s and 80s would have been strong sativas. a strain I absolutely believe came from bagseed to florida is the Piff. An almost pure columbian haze.

S

SicKSKills

Majority of growers Ive ever met, didn't know about and would never go near a forum like this. That being said, the very first grower friend I had was and older dude from Florida, no idea of the net, always told me OG was from Florida, he was doing it in 91-92 and was shocked I even knew what it was. Haven't seen him in years though he moved back to guatemala which is a shame, several of the best examples of herb Ive ever seen came from that guy.

REZDOG

Veteran
Chemdog never intentionally created (bred) anything that I am aware of.
He did,however,grow some killer Dead Tour bag-seeds.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Majority of growers Ive ever met, didn't know about and would never go near a forum like this. That being said, the very first grower friend I had was and older dude from Florida, no idea of the net, always told me OG was from Florida, he was doing it in 91-92 and was shocked I even knew what it was. Haven't seen him in years though he moved back to guatemala which is a shame, several of the best examples of herb Ive ever seen came from that guy.

except that according to matt's story it wasn't called OG till it got to cali and Breal and snoop smoked it. So dude from guatemala, probably wasn't up on pop culture and internet crazes, and wouldn't have known that what he was growing in '91 had now been hit with pollen and turned into OG kush.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Chemdog never intentionally created (bred) anything that I am aware of.
He did,however,grow some killer Dead Tour bag-seeds.

exactly. the key is finding out where that original herb came from before he copped it on dead tour from JJ.

DWkush

O The bubba kush started in 96 after a hermi accident which my kush pollinated my Bubba and my Purple Indica. That gave birth to the Bubba Kush and the Purple Kush or PI.

???

This guys is saying that his kush pollinated bubba & Purple indica to create bubba & purple indica. I will comment more on this later.

REZDOG

Veteran
SFV OG Kush:
attachment.php

Rolando Mota

Thing I don't get is, I've grown chem,og,bubba and they don't seem related to me. All three are really different plants.

Haven't grown the pk though so I can't comment on that.

:joint:

bigbag

Veteran
early comm grow room in BC, that were growing the King and / or Queen lines that slightly hermed, creating the odd seed in the odd bag that very well could have been going around dead shows. at any rate, any1 who familar with BC King bud will attest 2 this, as well as the fact that those early loads from Afghanistan and Pakistan pretty much ALL came in through BC. wasnt long after that the thai sticks hit the market...
as 4 the florida theory, the cats who told me of the $50 K cutt have no reason 2 imbelish... they claimed that the master,bubba and purple were all from the same florida connect:artist: think they got ganked out of the $50 K, lol

DWkush

That guy makes no scene. He is saying that his kush pollinated bubba & Purple indica to create bubba & purple indica.

OsWiZzLe

Bubba is a landrace Indica from the Middle East....Bullshit it came out of Florida...

Why is it so dominate in every cross? Something thats been inbreed for many many many generations or some dudes accidental Hermie lol

Bullshit moves fast ...but never forward :)

DWkush

Subcool on purple kush:
"Purple Urkel or Humboldt Purple (a.k.a. Purple Urple) has been growing in southern Humboldt County since approximately 1989. The Mendo cats are responsible for renaming it “Lavender,” among several other names. A good friend, White Trash Redneck, has grown the Mendocino Lavender cut side by side with the Humboldt Purple Urple/Urkel—as well as the Bridgeville Black Afghan, Nepalese Purple, Pakistani Purple Kush and Tooty Fruity Purple—and he swears they’re all the same cut, renamed.

White Trash Redneck also went on to tell me that the Humboldt Purple cut seems to be an old-school IBL, or Inbred Line, making it ideal for use in breeding projects. He’s bred more than 20 Urkel hybrids and has been impressed with all of them. I’ve discovered quite a few other Purples that are likely the same cut as well, going by such names as Garberville Purple Kush (a.k.a. Swerve’s Cut), Mendocino PK and Kyle Kushman’s PK. An Internet source I’ll leave unnamed says about Kyle’s PK:

Kyle Kushman’s “Purple Kush” is the plant that made Kushman famous after a photograph of the Kush made the cover of the New York Times Magazine about 12 years ago.The magazine is not a weed-centric publication, and the article stated how much real money is made by indoor gardening based on black-market forces and the technology that was in place then (grow lights, seeds, hydro systems, etc). In the article the grower (presumably Kyle) states that the plant was found in a group of Northern Lights x Purple Indica seeds. Kyle was living out east at the time and soon became a writer for HIGH TIMES."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts