What's new

CPS TR21 users get in here!!

hobb3s93

Dancing with the devil with the rapidly boiling pool within 1.7" of the high velocity pump intake.

Not a good idea,

so this dropping into air is somthing that happens on a 6x12 spool with a regular mkiii lid (6''dip tubes)?

im just kinda confused kus i feel like this is the first time ive hear about this issue.

ive been running my mkiii for a couple months and ive had a couple incidents of oil making it into the recovery valve but most were incidents i attributed to recovering past 20hg.

what if i stuffed some steel wool in recovery port on the bottom of the lid?
im guessing thats a no no due to the fact it could create a clog?

U

ultraDANKnugz

so this dropping into air is somthing that happens on a 6x12 spool with a regular mkiii lid (6''dip tubes)?

im just kinda confused kus i feel like this is the first time ive hear about this issue.

ive been running my mkiii for a couple months and ive had a couple incidents of oil making it into the recovery valve but most were incidents i attributed to recovering past 20hg.

Yup, this issue happens when using the 6" lid with taller than 6" collection pots.

Steel wool is an interesting idea, but I think that oil would still make it past the wool.

On a side note - I hit up my machine shop today to see what they would charge to extend the tubes on the 6" lid. They quoted me at $117 with materials, welding and polishing.

GrayWolf - What is the ideal tube length for a 12" pot? I plan to grab a 6"-12" lid adapter in a few weeks and start running with a 12x12 pot.

The dip tube is about 1.440 inches off the bottom of a 6" X 6" spool, so if you add another 12" of tank, it is now 13.440 inches off the bottom.

I could see that if he was clamping the bottom of a 6" x 6" mk3 on top of a 6" x 12" end cap reducer and clamping that on top of a 12" x 12" spool.

But he said he is using a 6" x 12" collection spool and an mk3 lid. Wouldn't that put him roughly 7.44" off the bottom?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Reducing the area of your intake port by stuffing stainless wool in it, would speed up the intake velocity and possibly make it worse.

Dumping butane in mid air, when tank pressure high, and port velocities are there fore high, as well as the gas stream headed for the port, is inviting some of it become entrained in the air stream.

If you forgo the top rinse, you can valve off your pump during a dump, but when bottom flooding, you need the push pull, so you would at least need to extend your vent drop tube.

Humpi

Mrsmarybrown, would u be able to give me the number of the Wolseley store in Ontario that you used please? I tried calling the one in Vancouver but they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks again for your help, it's appreciated.

Mrsmarybrown, would u be able to give me the number of the Wolseley store in Ontario that you used please? I tried calling the one in Vancouver but they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks again for your help, it's appreciated.

Wolseley Canada
Guelph, Ontario
519-821-4021

I also, still have 1 extra, brand new, CPS TR 21 in the box. If you are interested let me know.:tiphat:

Humpi

Thanks a bunch mrsmarybrown. I managed to find one out here on the west coast. I just needed help from a friend with his hvac license to order it. It cost just under 800 from the shop I found. Also found the MT69 there on sale for 169. How much did yours run if you don't mind me asking.

Trying to get to 50 posts so I could pm.

Roji

Thanks a bunch mrsmarybrown. I managed to find one out here on the west coast. I just needed help from a friend with his hvac license to order it. It cost just under 800 from the shop I found. Also found the MT69 there on sale for 169. How much did yours run if you don't mind me asking.

Which shop out here did you find that at?

They were just under $775 out the door.

CPS TRS 21 Not Available in Canada

CPS TRS 21 Not Available in Canada

Just got an email from CPS Canada, and they do not carry or distribute the TRS 21 here in Canada, it is only available from Johnstone, in the US. So all you Canadians have to look south of the border, don't expect to see them available up here!:tiphat:

Rickys bong

Veteran
Roji, Don't bother trying to purchase from refrigeration suppliers in Canada. The markup is very high.

Get it online even though the shipping will be high.

RB

Dablord

I just picked up three trs 21 from johnstone gonna see how they compare to the originals. The only difference looking at them is the cord is hardwired. They still have brass fittings not stainless like on the johnstone picture.

I just picked up three trs 21 from johnstone gonna see how they compare to the originals. The only difference looking at them is the cord is hardwired. They still have brass fittings not stainless like on the johnstone picture.

Ive tried contacting johnstone but did not get any response. What did you do ?

Dablord

Ive tried contacting johnstone but did not get any response. What did you do ?
You have to have an account with them, I have had a account with them for awhile and have bought all my vacuum pumps, tanks, scales, recovery pumps and other gear from my local johnstone. They know what I use it for and are really cool and nice about everything unlike others (airgas)

I tried making an account with my local store but got no response so I figured they didnt want my business since I didnt have a HVAC license. I emailed them and tried to register twice. Im calling Monday.

U

ultraDANKnugz

I've also had issues trying to setup an account with Johnstone. I've called and emailed them inquiring about what's needed to setup an account through them but get no response. I've got my EPA 608 card and a tax ID.

I've since ordered my pumps through Century Tool, which also has them pretty cheap, Johnstone quoted me at $908 for a regular TR21, Century has them for $630 (but does not have access to the TRS21 at this time). They're also super helpful and friendly to deal with on the phone.

Dablord

I've also had issues trying to setup an account with Johnstone. I've called and emailed them inquiring about what's needed to setup an account through them but get no response. I've got my EPA 608 card and a tax ID.

I've since ordered my pumps through Century Tool, which also has them pretty cheap, Johnstone quoted me at $908 for a regular TR21, Century has them for $630 (but does not have access to the TRS21 at this time). They're also super helpful and friendly to deal with on the phone.

Weird I haven't had anything but great service from Johnstone. Im very nervous running the regular Tr21 after I saw a user online had his catch fire mid run. Definitely only gonna be using the spark proof versions from now on. Feel free to contact me if you need one I still have 2 new in the box.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Any links to the TR21 that caught fire? If it caught fire while running it probably wasn't a spark that caused butane to ignite it.

The Only thing the sparkproof TR21 protects you against is IF you have an environment around the pump with the correct ratio of butane to air to ignite. (and a switch is cycled to create an arc) Not likely in a well vented room. They can still catch fire if the cooling fan were blocked and the motor windings overheated or for other reasons.

You can protect yourself to a good degree by buying an explosion proof switch like this: http://www.cooperindustries.com/con..._explosionproofsnapswitchcontrolstations.html
and bypassing the original pump switch and overpressure switch. Wire everything to the remote expl. proof housing. You would also need to use a gas tight or waterproof strain relief leading into the box.

RB