What's new

Conversation Starter - What's Your Favourite Whiskey?

D

DLOC

My favourite is Jack Daniel's with a coke and ice cubes.
I don't drink much, once a week.
Must start with shots, than mixed drinks.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haha! I'm making wine from grape juice too M314! You ferment then distill it? Don't have a still but I think I can do it on the stove

I've done it with apple juice. :) I drink it as cider or apple wine, or I distill it twice with the pot still to make brandy.

I could make grape brandy the same way, but I was thinking of making neutral grape spirit like in krunchbubble's pic. I'd distill it once with the pot still, then use the reflux column to get 190 prood in the 2nd distillation.

I've never tried it, but it sounds delicious. Watered down to 80 proof, it would be a vodka with a grape aftertaste.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I've done it with apple juice. :) I drink it as cider or apple wine, or I distill it twice with the pot still to make brandy.

I could make grape brandy the same way, but I was thinking of making neutral grape spirit like in krunchbubble's pic. I'd distill it once with the pot still, then use the reflux column to get 190 prood in the 2nd distillation.

I've never tried it, but it sounds delicious. Watered down to 80 proof, it would be a vodka with a grape aftertaste.

Dude, its SO DAMN DELICIOUS!!! Supposed to be making RSO, but...

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm finally getting ready to distill my first batch of all grain oat whiskey. :) I'm drinking some of my first oat whiskey batch at the moment. I used 8 pounds of oats and 8 pounds of sugar in my first batch. This one is 32 pounds of oats, no sugar added. The oat flavor should be deeper and more pronounced after aging.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I'm finally getting ready to distill my first batch of all grain oat whiskey. :) I'm drinking some of my first oat whiskey batch at the moment. I used 8 pounds of oats and 8 pounds of sugar in my first batch. This one is 32 pounds of oats, no sugar added. The oat flavor should be deeper and more pronounced after aging.

All oats huh? Interesting...

Didnt run my batch of whiskey yet, decided to go another week, it was only at 12%...

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All oats huh? Interesting...

Didnt run my batch of whiskey yet, decided to go another week, it was only at 12%...

Oats cooked in hot water, plus beta and gluco amylase enzymes added at the right temperatures to convert the starch to sugar. Also water and yeast.

This has been done fermenting for a few weeks. I finally have time to distill it today.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I just broke a ten year streak of abstaining from Jack Daniel's.

I'm not sure why I hated it but I have damn sure I've changed my mind.

Still not a favorite... oh wait, that's the whole point of this thread....

I'm still married to my green eyed lady:
picture.php

But I did just mess around with this weird chick from Tennessee.

Don't tell anyone.... :D

Check out a small company in Missouri called "Wooden Hat".

They control every aspect, from farm to bottle.

Probably the only producer in the USA that uses wood-fired stills.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Licensed and legal producer, you mean... :)

I'm personally able to verify many producers that use wood fired stills ;)

They have locally sourced ingredients too :D

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Licensed and legal producer, you mean... :)

I'm personally able to verify many producers that use wood fired stills ;)

They have locally sourced ingredients too :D

I've been doing it the easy way. I plug my still into the electrical socket on the kitchen counter and flip a switch to turn it on.

Doing it outdoors with a wood fire sounds like fun.

Bender420

I enjoy bourbon and Scotch - Maker's Mark and Knob Creek being my favorite bourbons, Glenmorangie is my favorite Scotch. Particularly, Glenmorangie's Lasanta and Quinta Ruban varieties - aged in port and sherry wine casks.

Latest posts

Latest posts