What's new

Conversation Starter - What's Your Favourite Whiskey?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sipping on some of the new batch tonight. :) White whiskey aged for about a week. It's great the way it is now with a deep wheat flavor.

I'll save some jars for aging with medium toast oak chips and some with heavy toast oak chips. Some without oak. This will be fun seeing how the flavor changes over time.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Run your shitty vodka through a Brita filter and make great vodka!

It can help. One of my first vodka batches came out a little rough. 3 passes through a Brita filter, and it was decently drinkable. Now I use an Essencia filter for vodka.

I finally made my first top shelf vodka recently. It's almost as smooth as water with a hint of a wheat aftertaste. I'm starting a new batch this weekend.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
It can help. One of my first vodka batches came out a little rough. 3 passes through a Brita filter, and it was decently drinkable. Now I use an Essencia filter for vodka.

I finally made my first top shelf vodka recently. It's almost as smooth as water with a hint of a wheat aftertaste. I'm starting a new batch this weekend.

I run everything through carbon, at least 4 passes through a 3'X 24" column...

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I run everything through carbon, at least 4 passes through a 3'X 24" column...

Carbon definitely helps. Some of my earlier batches became drinkable with carbon filtering, but never really like a high end vodka. More like bottom shelf to a mid range vodka.

Deathwish wheat germ is the recipe I followed for the last batch of whiskey. 32 gallons of wash, 5 stripping runs through the pot still, then one spirit run through the pot still. It's my favorite liquor I've made so far.

If you use the same recipe and do the spirit run with a reflux still, it makes the best vodka I've ever had. As good as any expensive vodka I've ever had. I ran the last batch through the carbon filter anyway, but it was smooth and almost flavorless right off the still. The hint of a wheat aftertaste at the end is what makes it special.

krunchbubble

Veteran
Carbon definitely helps. Some of my earlier batches became drinkable with carbon filtering, but never really like a high end vodka. More like bottom shelf to a mid range vodka.

Deathwish wheat germ is the recipe I followed for the last batch of whiskey. 32 gallons of wash, 5 stripping runs through the pot still, then one spirit run through the pot still. It's my favorite liquor I've made so far.

If you use the same recipe and do the spirit run with a reflux still, it makes the best vodka I've ever had. As good as any expensive vodka I've ever had. I ran the last batch through the carbon filter anyway, but it was smooth and almost flavorless right off the still. The hint of a wheat aftertaste at the end is what makes it special.

Ever accidentally inhale a shot of 140+ proof?

For some reason ive done it many times with my stuff and its some of the worst experiences of my life!

The alchy takes all your air away in your lungs and you cant take a breath for days! Fucking gasping for air and coming up with nothing is frantic as fuck....

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
WTF? Whiskey? Is this a grow site or what?

Have you LOST YOUR MINDS?

Whiskey is an important component of garden maintenance. :) It comes in handy when mixing up a batch of soil and repotting a few dozen plants.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ever accidentally inhale a shot of 140+ proof?

For some reason ive done it many times with my stuff and its some of the worst experiences of my life!

The alchy takes all your air away in your lungs and you cant take a breath for days! Fucking gasping for air and coming up with nothing is frantic as fuck....

I've built up a tolerance to the burn from alcohol. 140 or 150 proof is still drinkable. I know what you mean, though. Accidentally inhaling sucks, or accidently breathing out through your nose at the wrong time.

My vodka batches come off the still at or just under 190 proof. I was dumb enough to drink a shot of Everclear 190 once. Never again. Some crazy bastard on youtube posted a video of himself chugging a whole 750 ml bottle of Everclear 190.

krunchbubble

Veteran
Got this the other day to make some RSO for a patient of mine and last night I decided to take a few shots, straight...

I haven't drank at all lately, I quit a month or so ago, but I wanted to see what it was all about...

It was definitely not smooth, but very tolerable and distillers like you and I could drink this no problem...

I used no chaser...

Has such the greatest grape backend, let me tell you...

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
WTF? Whiskey? Is this a grow site or what?

Have you LOST YOUR MINDS?
\

cmon chris - can we just have one drankin thread , purty please ?
ill give you some...

whiskey?

lol
btw
i thought whiskey was one of the four food groups

facepalm-ernie.jpg

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
When It comes to getting myself drunk, I'm a cheap bastard. I'll take a quart of Windsor. If I'm celebrating it's VO or Crown Royal. I used to drink Yukon Jack when ice fishing or hunting. "The black sheep of Canadian wiskeys" lol. I don't think they make it any more.

i just noticed you said windsor - you cheap bastred you - ewwwww
you need a spankin

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got this the other day to make some RSO for a patient of mine and last night I decided to take a few shots, straight...

I haven't drank at all lately, I quit a month or so ago, but I wanted to see what it was all about...

It was definitely not smooth, but very tolerable and distillers like you and I could drink this no problem...

I used no chaser...

Has such the greatest grape backend, let me tell you...

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=16643&pictureid=1598074=1]View Image[/url]

That sounds delicious. :) I should try making a batch sometime. 32 gallons of grape juice from Costco, some yeast, and in a few weeks I'll have my first grape neutral spirit.

I was drinking a little too much towards the end of last year, so I cut back to weekends only. It's better as a weekend thing.

shithawk420

Veteran
Haha! I'm making wine from grape juice too M314! You ferment then distill it? Don't have a still but I think I can do it on the stove