What's new

Committing suicide...

mad librettist

Veteran

OK folks remember the below highlighted paragraph in my opening post?

Suicide is a whole different animal if committed by people who are terminally ill.

However there's absolutely nothing wrong discussing various scenarios here why ppl commit suicide, just keep in mind it's not all the same.

yeah, but your specific point - that suicide is inherently selfish, is just wrong. If you intend to put pressure on people to think about living, you got it extra wrong. For me, staying alive is about being careful with my time. For instance, with Christmas coming up, I need to line up a series of distractions I can use, because I am very likely to have very strong feeling of wanting to die in the coming week. I have to trick myself into social contact, and then I use cannabis and a pharmaceutical to help manage my moods while alone. I need to avoid certain types of media, for instance movies that emphasize how important it is to be with your wife and kids, especially tales where something is overcome to save a family from breaking apart.

do you get what I'm saying? do any of my management techniques involve reciting to myself what I "should" do? Or what I shouldn't do to avoid shame, and judgement about how horrible and selfish I am because it hurts, I can feel it, and I don't think I can live with it much longer?

what about suicide as political protest? what about conquered noble females committing suicide rather than endure gang rape from the other army? What about Socrates? Seppuku? What about self-immolation as political protest?

if you look at various human cultures an traditions over time, you'll find suicide is or has been considered an honorable way to die by most of them. So the only way to really judge whether it's acceptable is to look at the cultural context. In your case and in mine, it's the influence of religion (Christianity via Judaism) on our ethics. It's important to note that Judaism is cool with the rebels on Masada committing mass suicide, whereas in Christianity that would be a no-no as they prefer to commit suicide by getting executed.

"Suicide is selfish" is very close to "suicide is a sin".

Last edited:
W

wilbur

my commiserations too

my commiserations too

my mother had brain cancer (tumor).. didn't want the surgery just wanted to die..the family convinced her surgery was the best answer..died 6 mos. later a horrible death..we all now wish we had just let her die her own way even if that meant letting her kill herself od-ing on the meds...we all put our animals down when they get to sick or injured right...
no cowardice going out on your own terms!

yes, sorry to hear that the end of yr Mother's life was like this.

Family made a judgement in ITS own interest, not in the interest of the individual. Family is usually conservative. so is Medicine.

we looked after my Mum at home while she died. some home nurses wouldn't come to us because we practiced passive euthanasia (with Mum's blessing). she died peacefully and pain free with her family around her.

Peace to you all.

sso

Veteran
thx bro..it was a long time ago..you can thank our fed gov't for it..back in the 60's the gov't released some test gas, the wind shifted and it blew into the town of green river wyo. killed all the animals, cows dogs cats deer and all my parents and their friends eventually got some type of cancer..and all of us kids ended getting some pretty bad auto-immune diseases..of course the gov't denies any relation to the cancers and illnesses being related to the gas..all of us who lived and grew up there at that time know different..

jeez, why is there never some testing gas that gives you a huge pecker and lazereyes?

that sounds like something out of a stephen king story, i wish you the very best in the future bro. lets hope its really good.

sso

Veteran
suicide being selfish.

there was this show on chimps.

one little chimp was getting bullied by all the other apes for no apparent reason, he was somewhat smaller and weaker and maybe it was just a crappy group, but eventually after a rather bad beating,

the lil chimp just wandered into the forest, looking sadder and sadder by the day, stuck in one spot for 2 weeks and then just disappeared (to the camera crew)

usually people commit suicide, because their life SUCKS

and usually IT IS BECAUSE OF OTHER PEOPLE.

so selfish MY ASS.

you wanting a hurting and miserable person to prolong their misery, just so you can keep them around, on the other hand, is selfish.

sso

Veteran
try giving them love and hugs, lots of hugs, thats all you can do.

give them a better life or the option of it.

show them there is hope (dont put yourself on a high horse and try to give them advice unless You have Been through the Same)

W

wilbur

the story above, about the Chimp.

s/he is a mammal, right? humans are mammals too, right?

obviously suicide is facet of mammalian behaviour. it is ancient behaviour hardwired in our brains. it is HERD behaviour!

social circumstances/herd behaviour trigger this individual behaviour sometimes.

c'est la vie!

Last edited:

barnyard

we have a tendecy towards psychological reductionism...

we have a tendecy towards psychological reductionism...

Emile Durkheim puts in suicide in a social-psychological perspective using the concept of anomie:

Anomie is a term meaning "without Law" to describe a lack of social norms; "normlessness". It describes the breakdown of social bonds between an individual and their community ties, with fragmentation of social identity and rejection of self-regulatory values.[1] It was popularized by French sociologist Émile Durkheim in his influential book Suicide (1897). Durkheim borrowed the word from French philosopher Jean-Marie Guyau. Durkheim never uses the term normlessness; rather, he describes anomie as "a rule that is a lack of rule," "derangement," and "an insatiable will."[2]

For Durkheim, anomie arises more generally from a mismatch between personal or group standards and wider social standards, or from the lack of a social ethic, which produces moral deregulation and an absence of legitimate aspirations. This is a nurtured condition:

Anomie in common parlance is thought to mean something like "at loose ends". The Oxford English Dictionary lists a range of definitions, beginning with a disregard of divine law, through the 19th and 20th century sociological terms meaning an absence of accepted social standards or values. Most sociologists associate the term with Durkheim, who used the concept to speak of the ways in which an individual's actions are matched, or integrated, with a system of social norms and practices ... Durkheim also formally posited anomie as a mismatch, not simply as the absence of norms. Thus, a society with too much rigidity and little individual discretion could also produce a kind of anomie, a mismatch between individual circumstances and larger social mores. Thus, fatalistic suicide arises when a person is too rule-governed, when there is ... no free horizon of expectation.[3]

W

wilbur

yes, well ... Durkheim was one of the greatest reductionists of all time, was he not? and he was NOT a psychologist, he was a sociologist. he drifted around on his own planet imagining that what he saw OUTSIDE himself ... others that is ... behaved according to the way he, Durkheim saw things.
explanations are not reasons, they are explanations.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I sure hope you have someone to talk to bro, thinking like that's not healthy at all. there's been times when my fucking life's been one trainwreck after another, we can all hope and struggle for a better tomorrow though.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey buddy

hey buddy

I would kill myself right now if I had a gun

I have no desire to hurt others, just would prefer not to be here anymore

^hey don't do that! anytime you wanna talk you can PM me. i'll take the time.

I have a step sister that has tried to kill herself when I was 14. She was depressed because when she lived with her mom across the country her mother's boyfriend/ pimp raped her from age 7 to 12. That is why she came to live with us.

Her father and my mother were not home and she took a family size bottle of ib profen and slit her wrists. She got scared and yelled out from her room. It woke me up from a nap on the couch, I saved her life, barely. as she was dying she told me she changed her mind. I wrapped up her wrists, elevated them, and made her drink water until she puked while we were waiting for the ambulance. They gave her blood transfusions just in time and saved her.

The whole event made me realize how lucky I was to not have issues with depression. Even though my child hood was odd I was still able to stay chipper. it is a gift Half the week I lived with a step father that beat the crap out of me and my mother, and the other half I lived in a perfect home with my dad and grandparents. also I have ulcerative colitis and before cannabis i woke up in pain everyday of my life.

There are much better ways to completely change your situation. Maybe you need a new passion to help you move past your previous issues. Maybe you need to move to a new place. get off the east coast. it is dirty, over populated and depressing. I would want to kill my self if I lived anywhere east of santa fe.

Talk to people. Even if I am only a dude on the internet, I am willing to listen or just shoot the shit. I just grow herb in the mountains by myself. I have lots of time to shoot the shit.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran

I've felt this way before, and I suspect that I'll feel this way again too. But for the times that I felt that way, I'm glad that I waited. Just waited it out a little longer. And eventually I once again wanted to be alive. I'm very glad that I didn't end it then. I'm glad that I put off acting upon the despair that I felt in those moments, in hope that there was something worthwhile in the years available ahead.

There's a lot to be learned here still. Just wait friend. You don't need to act upon this now.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i have given my credential before but let me restate them

a number of my family members committed suicide including my father

i myself was diagnosed with an "untreatable" combination of neurological psychiatric disease and personality disorder which after a year inpatient at 15 my mom was told I would most likely commit suicide or be permanently institutionalized with the period of 6 months to a year

here i am, mentally healthy, and a happy, grateful and relatively functioning member of society

i truly believe based on the life i have been witness to, that there is no human suffering that cannot be overcome

don't confuse euthanasia for those at the end of life for those whose suffering and inevitable death cannot be alleviated versus suffering caused from the "human condition" for which we can overcome if we learn to access our "human potential"

norcalKTM

I have lost a couple dozen people through out the year coworkers, family, all that it sucks man. But just look at it like theyre watching over you, thats the last thing your son would want you to do. It was a accident you could not do anything about it, one thing I have learned is don't blame yourself.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
perfectly healthy and young on the outside doesnt mean perfectly healthy,,

its a shame when people miss out on a perfectly good chance to suicide bomb a banker,, hell if your gonna go, go out in a blaze lol,,

tony blairs my choice and i would be thanked by millions (that should still be here) when i got back into the aether,,

im sure this sounds extreme, but if you think about it, our selfishness is what gets us all our pain in the first place anyway,,

complicit with a system that poisons us and murders the free,, shit i was sick of this earth by age 11,,

the world has never been such a shit place to grow up,, lemmings often commit suicide when their populations get too great,,, we arent lemmings but :

when stress levels get to a critical point in most populations strange self destructive behaviours are always seen,,

surrounded by idiots that sold their souls because they are complicit in evil, lulled into aquiescence by a brain numbing toxic cocktail that they gulped down because they are cattle that have been selected towards by millenia of pressure away from independant self sufficient compassionate people,,

the humane civilisation has been going down hill for a few thousand years now imvho,, the next form of man will be more machine, cold, apathetic, selfish, emotionless...

Last edited:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran

Hey Long! Listen to what hash Z is sayin.

I hav not wanted to be here since about '68. And always hav guns.

The reasons to live are there,and they will outnumber the reasons to go. Watch a terminal patient struggle to meet her next grandbaby! The strength is within us all.

Hit me up brother

stc9357

Slightly depressed myself but haven't contemplated suicide and no one else should either its the quitter's option. I don't have certain things in my life like a job and a couple other things but I feel you get through things. Whatever happened to the taxi job longgeared?

If you need to speak to anyone you can pm me I'm on this site most of the time during the day studying since I don't have a job. Things will look up no matter how bleak!