What's new

Committing suicide...

L

longearedfriend

I don't agree with you guys ^^

is that really the reason why you should stay alive, to spare others the grief ?

is that REALLY the reason you would want someone to stay alive ?

trying to make people who are tired of their miserable existence feel guilty ?

sounds like a bad idea to me

people who want to kill themselves often have a lot of guilt/shame pressing on them

BigDawg

there are even people who are living that are really killing themselves. People who give up and dwell on negativity or don't seek guidance/help, pride issues, drug addictions etc... all these things can hurt their family or others as well...only difference is that they are enduring it longer and still have a chance to change or emotionally mature compared to someone who just decides to end their life completely. In the end it's your decision. Get better or get worse. Live or die.

sso

Veteran
life can be a hell beyond belief (..even if its all "in the mind")

and death a blessing.

if you really want to lessen suicides, be more nice to people. (a smile in the right place or nice words, can save LIVES, so can the opposite, practically kill people (push them over the edge))

med_breeder

life can be a hell beyond belief (..even if its all "in the mind")

and death a blessing.

if you really want to lessen suicides, be more nice to people. (a smile in the right place or nice words, can save LIVES, so can the opposite, practically kill people (push them over the edge))

So true!

A kind word, a smile, can actually be life saving, especially

In a world that can be so cold and plastic at times.

A

ariston

yes! the victim who makes that awful choice for others is convinced that those around him would be better off after his death, even though they don't know it or won't say it. He may even be feeling the effects of a manic episode gone bad (and descending into deep depression) or psychosis.

Someone about to end it is sick, and needs help and protection, not morals. You are in essence saying one should "know better", which in the first place depends on the part of the brain that isn't working.

If you use your imagination, can you conceive of such a thing as mental illness? It may be more helpful to see things from the examining room, rather than the preacher's pulpit. What's actually useful is making contracts with people to ask for help on the way down rather than at the bottom. That means making sure calling for help doesn't bankrupt you, cost you your freedom, or otherwise harm you. Is that the case in your community? How are the mentally ill treated where you live? How do you feel about it and them?

you are assuming that others know better or know the answer to everything, when you say that one should ask for help. perhaps one wants to end life just because of other people... asking those you cant stand isnt exactly an option either.

and by assuming it is an illness you are speaking from the assumption that there is no reason to be unhappy. if Id start listing the reasons one could be unhappy this thread would be endless.

personally I think it is everyones own choice whether they want to live or not. the world humans live in is horrible as one is born into slavery (government), best case scenario you get what is called democracy (the ability to choose a system which may suck a bit less, but is still a game of "two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner").

edit: to add, I dont think the above reasons the sole reason for commiting suicide, or that everyone feels the way I do about it. I believe it just shows that in general, being alive doesnt mean you should be happy. I believe that there simply is no reason for anyone else than one self to decide what to do with yourself, therefor the choice of commiting suicide is up to the individual.

BigDawg

some people end their lives just so a certain person (gf/mom/dad etc) will feel bad/guilty. Maybe because of something that happened in their past, or lack of attention, gf/wife cheating etc..

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I feel it's a matter of wiring. A buddy tried to off himself. By the time I heard and got there he was surrounded by fawning, sympathetic family and friends. I went full nuke postal in front of everyone, screaming in his face for several minutes. In the end, I screamed no matter how bad things were, all he had to do was go to bed, wake up and start over. He looked at me with dead eyes and said that wasn't the cure, it was the problem.

Some people are physically capable of viewing suicide as a positive option. Other's brains just won't work that way.

BigDawg

telling others you are about to kill yourself is different than just doing it. I think the ones who talk about it, or threaten to do it, is their way of seeing if anyone cares or their way of getting help. The ones who kill themselves usually just straight up do it.

Space Toker

Veteran
let me say, I thought you were lashing out at me needleesly in one of my threads. I remember someone discussing a subject like this but didn't realize who. Given the circumstances, lash out if it makes you feel better as this is rough shit to deal with and can't blame you. I just read the opening post but I am no stranger to loss, losing my mom 3 1/2 years ago and would have thought it would be easier than this by now! IF you need to talk I am often here!

I have not had a great life, it seems everything that can go wrong usually does for me. I just drive down my hill to check the mail and it may result in costly paint repairs, with all the meds I am on I didn't realize I was brushing into a branch and scratching the truck. I never win the lotto, not even more than a few bucks on a scratch ticket and usually lose. It seems someone way more powerful than me is out to get me. I know it could be worse, I am not homeless and not living in the ghetto or a third world country. But if I wasn't so damn scared of dying I probably would have killed myself long ago, and few knew me so no one would have likely missed me or even knew I was gone. But I keep hoping things will get better, that this step or the other I am taking will make it a lot better. It never does, but I keep trying. I will at least be able to say I died trying.

sso

Veteran
people need love to live.

and by love i mean all the positive things we need to be happy.

kindness at the very least.

but yeah, to elaborate.

here comes this guy and he´s dead tired of life, met nothing but crap people for a long time (anyone he had to talk to anyway)

you might not never know it, looking at the dude, but when you´ve had a crappy life, one more crap thing,one more asshole or uncaring person, can push people over the edge.

make you go, whats the point?

shit world, shit life, no hope, only suffering and promise of more to come?

unfortunetly its very easy thinking that, in this world and its rather easy also falling into that sorta thinking.

and many ways into it. (broken hearts, broken bodies, broken minds (and all broken by people in one way or another)

lol, though its not really anyone´s fault, people are assholes, cause they are dumb.

people are rude, because they are dumb.

people are insensitive, because they are dumb.

stupid.

ignorant.

these are the reasons why people are selfish, greedy, hateful, angry, abusive and so on.

plain stupidity.

but kicking people and yourself in the head for being stupid is like kicking a monkey for failing at calculus.

and im not saying this as one who´s never been stupid (in fact im probably being stupid right now, in some way)

we are just primitive folks.

primitive in the ways of love, the only reason to live. (love is many things, between 2 people, between friends, loving the world and life, loving your body, loving to do something.)

want to have more love? give it.

do what you love to do as well, i love smoking and growing, so i do that, i love having cats so i have 5 :)

i love having a big bed, so i have one, i love playing with computers so i have one. and so on.. watching movies, enjoying a good story, making music and whatnot.

i tired of "relationships" and "just sex" and i wanted true love, so i waited for it. didnt bother with any till my heart went nuts at the sight of my wife (was my wife in my mind long before we married.)

love is something you build. draw forth from yourself. by following your heart and doing what you want and getting what you need.

(though if hurting others is what you want to do, then your heart has become black with shit and needs to be cleaned out)

sso

Veteran
you are assuming that others know better or know the answer to everything, when you say that one should ask for help. perhaps one wants to end life just because of other people... asking those you cant stand isnt exactly an option either.

and by assuming it is an illness you are speaking from the assumption that there is no reason to be unhappy. if Id start listing the reasons one could be unhappy this thread would be endless.

personally I think it is everyones own choice whether they want to live or not. the world humans live in is horrible as one is born into slavery (government), best case scenario you get what is called democracy (the ability to choose a system which may suck a bit less, but is still a game of "two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner").

edit: to add, I dont think the above reasons the sole reason for commiting suicide, or that everyone feels the way I do about it. I believe it just shows that in general, being alive doesnt mean you should be happy. I believe that there simply is no reason for anyone else than one self to decide what to do with yourself, therefor the choice of commiting suicide is up to the individual.

well, he´s right, up to a point, one should seek help, but help is not always to be found, thats very true too.

shitty life or illness, mental or not or both or combination of all.

and yes, there is no sin in suicide.

sso

Veteran
telling others you are about to kill yourself is different than just doing it. I think the ones who talk about it, or threaten to do it, is their way of seeing if anyone cares or their way of getting help. The ones who kill themselves usually just straight up do it.

thats sometimes true,

but telling others you are about to kill yourself, is the last cry for help,

when it is not met, sooner or later, they will try to kill themselves, often not enough to die but enough to make everyone see they are serious (they are still asking for help, just using more extreme methods)

and if that fails, well, then they will probably die.

let me say, I thought you were lashing out at me needleesly in one of my threads. I remember someone discussing a subject like this but didn't realize who. Given the circumstances, lash out if it makes you feel better as this is rough shit to deal with and can't blame you. I just read the opening post but I am no stranger to loss, losing my mom 3 1/2 years ago and would have thought it would be easier than this by now!

relax guys, this is a sensitive subject, lets not give in to anger needlessly because of some misspoken words.

Space Toker

Veteran
I meant that as an olive branch, how could you take it as anything else? just goes to show how easily things can be misread on the web

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
this is not a terminal ill and suffering euthanasia thread but one based on the overwhelming mental anguish people suffer so intensely that it drives them to turn out lights

how ironic is it that the person saying this type of suicide is not selfish thinks dogs should not be euthanized regardless of their proclivity.

I feel bad for anyone who can no longer emotionally invest in the human race our contribute harmoniously with others due to personal experience

the root part of our being that can be so hurt that it would cause us to want to end life or lose association with humanity is in fact the same

I know this because I have drawn deeply from both well in this lifetime

I also feel very sorry for those who are victims of suicide

my father, my two first cousins, my great uncle, and a "big brother" from treatment committed suicide

I feel sorry for the ever so common human delusion regarding the value of life

every organism in our known universe has tenacity to live life to its fullest potential yet mankind, with a mind capable of abstract thought and fostering a conscious can get stuck in his own ego's interpretation of self value and exonerate themselves from the rightful place they have in this ecosystem of ours

life is a precious gift and we have purpose, like all life around us, and that is to live life to our fullest potential, harmoniously

humanity has this potential, we also have the burden of coming into this conscious mind through an animal being and posses the freewill to create discord which is why many people have eaten the proverbial shit sandwich

if you don't think there is enough love or hope in the world that people should want to live in it, its because you not putting any out in the world and it is not coming from you

if your so hurt and lost that life is becoming unbearable seek help, please

your hurt because your a sensitive human being, and that is the foundation of humanity, that caring conscious part of our being, and like the rest of our bodies it can heal and be made new

you are valuable, you are deserving of waking up joyful and wanting to embrace life on a daily basis, you are worthy of knowing and sharing heart felt love

this is on the other side of suicide if you choose another path

Merry Christmas peace on earth goodwill to men and a lil nam myoho renge kyo to boot

Bong Clown

Common adage is that suicide is selfish, cowardly, etc. - I disagree. It takes incredible guts to face death and embrace it as a suicidal person does. I lost my best friend from college to suicide. I would feel selfish to be angry at him for it - I can't imagine what he was going through, and it was his life.

I think it's best to be gentle with people who are close to the brink. Maybe some respond best to tough language but I know if I'm feeling down, it only magnifies things. Encourage them to live in the moment. Meditate. Read "Buddhism Isn't What You Think", great book, all on philosophy, none on faith/religious type bullshit.

I have been near the edge a few times in the past. Never did it because I always thought "huh, if I'm going to off myself, why not do everything I always wanted to do and die in a blaze of glory? Steal a car, rob a bank, shoot a cop, smoke crack in public and drive a BMW off a bridge!" Then I would never have the guts to do it. Shooting yourself is a lot easier because you don't have that lag time between the act, and the consequences, where you get to contemplate your impending doom and have a chance to change your mind.

Yup. Everyone that I knew that killed themselves did it with no warning whatsoever. No one left a note, either. Impulsive acts. If they really want to die, they're not going to tell ANYONE, because EVERYONE will try to stop them (unless they're seriously deranged).

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran

I think what was trying to be suggested is that if one chooses to kill themselves because they're unhappy then that's evidence of mental illness. Not that mental illness rules out unhappiness. Everyone has problems at sometime or another and becomes unhappy about things but not everyone chooses to kill themselves because they're unhappy.

Personally I don't know if it's mental illness or not all I know is that real or imagined somehow people who commit suicide see that as the only solution. It's seldom about selfishness, people that act suicidal to get back at or punish someone in their life seldom go thru with it. They're just playing emotional mind games with those people, trying to manipulate people into giving them what they want. Truely suicidal people usually are so deep in their despair that the last thing on their mind is how selfish what they do might seem to others. In fact I bet if you could point out to a truely suicidal person how selfish they're being it would just be one more reason for them to kill themselves.

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm not saying all suicide is linked to mental illness. I am hoping to point out to some that understanding of suicide in the context of a person with an illness might change the subject away from morals and back to saving lives.

If you are bipolar, suicidal ideation may come to you like an affliction. One minute you're fine, and the next you are isolating yourself and researching your meds to see if there is a way to O.D. Bipolar doesn't mean stupid or insensitive, so the victim may be also thinking of ways to "make it look like an accident".

Bong Clown

Truely suicidal people usually are so deep in their despair that the last thing on their mind is how selfish what they do might seem to others. In fact I bet if you could point out to a truely suicidal person how selfish they're being it would just be one more reason for them to kill themselves.

EXACTLY.

Permanent solution to a temporary problem...unfortunately people in despair can't think rationally to see there is always tomorrow.
Tomorrow may bring more of the same and it may bring sunshine, but its always a chance to start over.

Latest posts

Latest posts