What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco! Blumats! Seedlings! My first grow journal!

Ez Rider

Veteran
Just a lil update: I finally got my order today, so I'll put everything up & transplant and then its picture time again! Also watching Barcelona vs. Atlético Madrid later on today, anyone else? :D

Oh and I'll have to figure out another way to elevate my rez, turns out that by my original plan the rez would've been just around 3 feet high and I don't think that's enough by any means. Any ideas? Anyone mounted their rez on their tent? After reading up I would prefer the pump+accumulator-setup like Ez_rider recommended but really can't afford it right now... next run hopefully or if I manage to make ends meet later this grow.

I originally had the upper res of my gravity system on top of the tent. Use a piece of plywood on top of the tent to support the res. You're only doing 1 plant, so anything over 1gal should be fine. My plants average 1qt/day each. At most, you'll use double that(1/2gal/day), unless your plant is HUGE, or the room is real hot.

FWIW, I was able to put together a pressurized system for ~$175, not counting a new, larger res. I lost ~8gal total capacity when I eliminated the upper res, so I decided to get something bigger.

I originally had the upper res of my gravity system on top of the tent. Use a piece of plywood on top of the tent to support the res. You're only doing 1 plant, so anything over 1gal should be fine. My plants average 1qt/day each. At most, you'll use double that(1/2gal/day), unless your plant is HUGE, or the room is real hot.

FWIW, I was able to put together a pressurized system for ~$175, not counting a new, larger res. I lost ~8gal total capacity when I eliminated the upper res, so I decided to get something bigger.

Yeah, figured I had to put something underneath it. I'm actually doing 12 plants so the res will have to be bigger than that, but anyway good to hear that it works.

The pumps and accumulators and such cost more here in Europe - the cheapest system I could throw together cost about 300€ and for a student, that's actually quite a big sum... I'll just have to wait until I get some cash.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Yeah, figured I had to put something underneath it. I'm actually doing 12 plants so the res will have to be bigger than that, but anyway good to hear that it works.

The pumps and accumulators and such cost more here in Europe - the cheapest system I could throw together cost about 300€ and for a student, that's actually quite a big sum... I'll just have to wait until I get some cash.

The euro is down, but 300 is highway robbery! I feel your pain. I'd be very cautious about the amount of weight you place on the roof of a tent. I used 1x2's in the corners of the tent to help support the weight. Most tents are fairly flimsy.

FINALLY I got my tent up & transplanted the fairly rootbound plants. They look a bit banged up & small for their age but lol what gives, I blame the hydro store. You can also see my setup in the other pic.

I also had to do a stupid mistake of putting coco on the bottom of the original tray (the blue one you can see in my earlier pics), so four of the plants grew through their cups drainage and grew some pretty impressive root systems in it... I managed to save most of it but shit didn't it make the transplant a massive bitch. I spent nearly three hours cutting through the plastic cups, trying to avoid the roots like a neurosurgeon. Glad it's all over. Let's get this show on the road!

Attachments

• IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The euro is down, but 300 is highway robbery! I feel your pain. I'd be very cautious about the amount of weight you place on the roof of a tent. I used 1x2's in the corners of the tent to help support the weight. Most tents are fairly flimsy.

Yup, I have a DR120, I've understood that Secret Jardin tents are quite well built? I might go with the 1x2's... or just mount my res on a stepladder :D

Ez Rider

Veteran
Yup, I have a DR120, I've understood that Secret Jardin tents are quite well built? I might go with the 1x2's... or just mount my res on a stepladder :D

I'd add a little structural support if I was you. It looks like you already have a fair amount of equipment being supported. I used zip ties to hold the 2x2's(my mistake last time) to the upright corner poles, and a 3/8" piece of plywood on top. I used a round file to notch the ends of the 2x2's, so they locked in the horizontal poles. My upper rez held 50-60lbs of water when full, and it made the tent(growlab) lean precariously without extra support.

A lil photo-update for ya'll! Things are steadily chugging along, most of the plants have recovered from the transplant now and are putting up new growth at an good rate. Hopefully the rest pick up during the week. Temps at the canopy level are steady 24c which is great considering that I haven't even got up to put up my air movement fans yet :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 12

Ez Rider

Veteran
A lil photo-update for ya'll! Things are steadily chugging along, most of the plants have recovered from the transplant now and are putting up new growth at an good rate. Hopefully the rest pick up during the week. Temps at the canopy level are steady 24c which is great considering that I haven't even got up to put up my air movement fans yet :laughing:

Nice. I see the SSK has the same big leaves as the sourbubble. For your sake, I hope she veges faster...:watchplant:

Zukinjo, welcome along! :thank you:

EZ, not sure where you got that SSK from, the cultivars for this grow are Cookie Wreck x ECSD and Triangle Kush x ECSD, both cannaventure stock... Would like to try the sour bubble (or anything with it) for sure.

A quick update on the grow: The first apparent male preflowers have shown. I'm gonna wait for a few days to get it sure but wouldn't you guess, it's the biggest and tallest plant in the tent. I'm thinking about changing the schedule to 20/4 if that would encourage them to show (and grow :biggrin: ) faster.

Last edited:

Ez Rider

Veteran
Zukinjo, welcome along! :thank you:

EZ, not sure where you got that SSK from, the cultivars for this grow are Cookie Wreck x ECSD and Triangle Kush x ECSD, both cannaventure stock... Would like to try the sour bubble (or anything with it) for sure.

A quick update on the grow: The first apparent male preflowers have shown. I'm gonna wait for a few days to get it sure but wouldn't you guess, it's the biggest and tallest plant in the tent. I'm thinking about changing the schedule to 20/4 if that would encourage them to show (and grow :biggrin: ) faster.

Sorry, confused you with another grow I've been watching. The tallest plants(seedlings) are usually male, don't worry about it. The plants are looking good. Yeah, I highly recommend the SB, it's a great strain. I've got several SB crosses I'm hoping to grow out later this year.

No problem, glad to have you along! :D I'll keep that in mind, I've been interested in the SB for a while now but couldn't find seeds anywhere when I started my grow. Which crosses you have going in?

Ez Rider

Veteran
No problem, glad to have you along! :D I'll keep that in mind, I've been interested in the SB for a while now but couldn't find seeds anywhere when I started my grow. Which crosses you have going in?

I've been growing SB for awhile now. Still got packs of SSK, SourLifesaver, Sour Grape, SourBoggle, BOGBubble, and even a few leftover SB's. Nothing else grows good with the SB, cause she vegges so SLOW, and I don't have quite enough room for a true perpetual.

gr866

Veteran
If you dont mind ill point out that fabric pots and other grow bags take up the least amount of space when not in use so in my opinion take the cake above all other containers. Fabric pots have alot of useful aspects such as their ability to be used to plant in the ground so say you want to go veg some clones huge before a outdoor season...

Honestly better really is a matter of whats better for your situation. Sometimes its a matter of opinion but im with stoned40yrs fabric is where its at. It lets the coco dry at a nice even rate because of even airflow. There is no situation i would choose anything over a airpot except a grow bag but im considering punching additional holes and making a airpot from growbags but only because they store even smaller than fabrics.

This will be my first coco run in Smart pots, ran them with soil a few years ago before I began running coco hempy's.
Well I just pulled them out today, I ran 5 WW in soil, did not get what I expected so switched. Hell, I had not even cleaned them and they looked nasty, lot's of roots stuck to them, soil with perlite just coating them. I was going to throw them away and get some new ones but decided to wash them and see how they come out. Fuck, them bitches are like brand new! Now how cool is that, I will be rinsing them to the extreme before I use them though. Can still smell the detergent in them.
Sorry I did not rotate the pic, but I am beat and very stoned.:smoker:

GR

I've been growing SB for awhile now. Still got packs of SSK, SourLifesaver, Sour Grape, SourBoggle, BOGBubble, and even a few leftover SB's. Nothing else grows good with the SB, cause she vegges so SLOW, and I don't have quite enough room for a true perpetual.

Slow veg is a bitch ain't it :D I'm glad mine aren't really that slow, though they can never veg fast enough :laughing:

Speaking of plants, I'm really stoked for this TK x ECSD, hoping some real headband-y buds. Crazy that CV just gave a pack of these as a freebie.

Wassup everyone :D here's a little photo update for you, don't give up on me! Everything is going well, plants have grown a lot - I'm transplanting the select 12 to the bigger pots next week. Unfortunately only two have shown sex so far, so I'll have to guess If they don't miraculously do that in the following few days. I'm planning on putting them to flower a few days after the transplant, so next weekend or beginning of the next week.

Oh, and the trifoliate is still going strong :woohoo: hopefully it'll yield a tad bit more than her ordinary sisters

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
Culled a male today, possibly identified another one or two males and atleast three females :woohoo: if this keeps up I'll have too many females :laughing: Heres the root system on the plant I culled - tall, lanky bastard with explosive growth. Well, to the bin it goes. I have no space for males and no intention to start pollen chucking at least for the while.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
Sooo this thread hasn't gathered as much interest as before :( no problem, I'll keep updating - to atleast keep myself on track on what's happening :D Transplant coming up today or tomorrow, I'll snatch pics of my chosen phenos while I'm at it!

Latest posts

Latest posts