What's new

Co2 Extraction a reality!!!

U

Ultra Current

What part are you confused about?

Thanks for your help GW! Heres what i think im supposed to do:

1 take fresh trim and insert it into a coffee thermese and put it in the freezer. I will install a piecw into the top of the thermese to insert the butane. Put the butane can into the frrezer.

2. Fill up the thermese with butane and let it sit in the thermese for 30 minutes while stiring or shaking.

3. Do i pour out the butaine from the thermese into coffee filter? If so wont it immediately turn into a gas? Does the remaining leaves in the thermese stay in the thermese or do i put that into the filter too?

GanjaPharma

nooooo!!!!, dont let this thread get sidetracked!!! plenty of info on bho on these forums. no need to muddy these mythylogically troubled waters with "how do i make bho?" questions.

this is the thread where the Co2 wizards finally show us how every bho maker in cali reaaaaly makes CO2 extract!
(think wizards as in Wizard of OZ....like... "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!")

one video. one single video of plant material being extracted with co2. cmon folks how hard can that be? there are 2000 bho videos, a half dozen vids of the tamisium extractor.....and a single (photoshopped) image of a supercrit unit is all we have here on the mighty icmag? THIS IS A GLOBAL SITE! nobody in the WORLD has taken a clip with their i-phone?

also, I am still waiting to hear how one accomplishes Co2 extraction without the aid of a final solvent to trap the extract. cuz thats the sell right? NO SOLVENTS other than pure Co2.

how much Co2 oil do you think harborside would sell if it was presented as "Co2 extracted oil washed in hexane/alcohol"
anybody want to tell me i am wrong here? any of you believers want to challenge whether a solvent trap is required in ANY Co2 extraction?

nooooo!!!!, dont let this thread get sidetracked!!! plenty of info on bho on these forums. no need to muddy these mythylogically troubled waters with "how do i make bho?" questions.

this is the thread where the Co2 wizards finally show us how every bho maker in cali reaaaaly makes CO2 extract!
(think wizards as in Wizard of OZ....like... "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!")

one video. one single video of plant material being extracted with co2. cmon folks how hard can that be? there are 2000 bho videos, a half dozen vids of the tamisium extractor.....and a single (photoshopped) image of a supercrit unit is all we have here on the mighty icmag? THIS IS A GLOBAL SITE! nobody in the WORLD has taken a clip with their i-phone?

also, I am still waiting to hear how one accomplishes Co2 extraction without the aid of a final solvent to trap the extract. cuz thats the sell right? NO SOLVENTS other than pure Co2.

how much Co2 oil do you think harborside would sell if it was presented as "Co2 extracted oil washed in hexane/alcohol"
anybody want to tell me i am wrong here? any of you believers want to challenge whether a solvent trap is required in ANY Co2 extraction?

In doing some reading, I believe that you can get a one stage CO2 fluid extraction without another solvent. Im not to sure of the chemistry, but I believe super-critical CO2/ sub-critical CO2 is very selective, though could be wrong. Anyways, you can get something out of the process, but that said, I believe that 1. the vast majority of CO2 oil (same goes for Oxygen, Nitrogen...) is just oil made from regular solvents, maybe propane or something. 2. The minority that was made with super/ sub critical CO2 at some point, was also washed in a traditional solvent because for some reason CO2 is not an effective solvent.

But, but, I think practically a open-system (no recovery) sub-critical CO2 would be the easiest system to set up. CO2 is cheap. Gray Wolf had some ideas. I found one small system that looked practical.

IMO

In doing some reading, I believe that you can get a one stage CO2 fluid extraction without another solvent. Im not to sure of the chemistry, but I believe super-critical CO2/ sub-critical CO2 is very selective, though could be wrong. Anyways, you can get something out of the process, but that said, I believe that 1. the vast majority of CO2 oil (same goes for Oxygen, Nitrogen...) is just oil made from regular solvents, maybe propane or something. 2. The minority that was made with super/ sub critical CO2 at some point, was also washed in a traditional solvent because for some reason CO2 is not an effective solvent.

lol getting closer...

hammalamma

Veteran
you must spread more rep before giving more to ganjapharma...
You hit it right on the head man, c02 oil is just a marketing scheme because people are scared of butane for some reason.:laughing:

KiefSweat

Veteran
its a reality you guys just don't want to believe it

Attachments

• co2.jpg
    co2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 9

KiefSweat

Veteran
In this state with a legal Industry, there are 2 or 3 co2 extraction machines.

Co2 concretes of any type are about 40% pure.

even shitty BHO is 49-50%

Rickys bong

Veteran
We should call Mythbusters. I'm pretty sure co2 extraction is possible but in NO WAY AT ALL PLAUSIBLE!

Why not? There's nothing magical about it and the process is highly developed.

It's just not economically feasible on a small scale for weed.

Kiefsweat, It would be cool to know what else was in the extract to lower the cannabinoid content in relation to the butane extract. Was the chart you posted from HPLC tests?

A mass spec test for CO2 and butane extracts would be extremely useful... That would determine all of the compounds in each extract on top of the cannabinoid content.

GanjaPharma, wtf are you talking about? CO2 is the solvent used for the extraction process.

KiefSweat

Veteran
your going to have to wait till this spring for more detailed testing

I believe the above chart was from a gc machine. But its all from the same lab so at least for comparison purposes its pretty much on point as far as solvents go.

hammalamma

Veteran
What is the other 54%? C02 extraction is a very selective process, that's why they use it to decaffeinate coffee, why are they pulling other crap? That "chart" only states cannabinoid content.

KiefSweat

Veteran
lipids, fats, waxes and terpenes

and im sure once they decaffeinate the coffee they would have a similar goo. Might need to refine that quite a bit to get pure caffeine.

I really don't see what the issue issue. co2 as a super-critical fluid compared to butane or hexane is going to grab more then just cannabinoids and waxes. Especially when you compare pressures and soak times etc.

GanjaPharma

its a joke ricky, relax. i put that bit in parenthesis for the sarcastically deficient, this being the interwebz and all, but it still tripped ya up.

he posted a printout as evidence that co2 oil is legit. and i did not realize that he was presenting the lower thc concentration as the evidence it was from a co2 supercrit unit.

my company (we make cosmetics) uses GALLONS of Co2 extracted oils neem, rosemary, oat , borage...and i have run pounds of trim through a supercrit unit in the past. which is why i maintain such skepticism.

oh and here is my evidence that co2 extracted hash oil is a reality. this from an $100k eden labs unit.
awesome right?

holy shit, did i just disprove myself? or mebe thats not ganja oil....

this thread needs a change of title to replace the exclamation marks with question marks.

----
also:

earlier i said you needed a solvent trap. spoke with my guy and he replied that there is enough pressure in the system that solvent is not necessary if you have the time to wait for it to all push out of the collection vessel. take that ganjapharma!

Nader

Veteran
Incredible. I try to get all my herbs in supercritical extraction if I am not going to use them in raw form. I am beyond stoked to try a CO2 THC extract one of these days.

KiefSweat

Veteran
its a joke ricky, relax. i put that bit in parenthesis for the sarcastically deficient, this being the interwebz and all, but it still tripped ya up.

he posted a printout as evidence that co2 oil is legit. and i did not realize that he was presenting the lower thc concentration as the evidence it was from a co2 supercrit unit.

my company (we make cosmetics) uses GALLONS of Co2 extracted oils neem, rosemary, oat , borage...and i have run pounds of trim through a supercrit unit in the past. which is why i maintain such skepticism.

I think the reality with co2 hash oils that with the cost of machinery there is then the months of learning time to create a good product. There's no real standards to follow, but the 3 reports i have seen on "co2 extracted oil" have been like 41%, 43% and the above. I've seen ones that are more ketchup colored but there is a noticeable difference in a co2 paste then an unpurged bho.

Maybe in a few years we will see a higher purity co2 oil, but right now its the lowest potency and highest cost.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
There are several patents and chemistry articles showing different results under different pressures. It should not take more than a week for a dedicated person to run enough experiments with the equipment at hand, and winterization and maybe even chromatography, then it's just waiting for analysis.

Latest posts

Latest posts