What's new

Co2 Extraction a reality!!!

hammalamma

Veteran
it is, one of the larger companies in town

sorry that picture was from the newspaper review.

here's another shot from a different one

co2-honey-oil-2.jpg

I wonder what it smells like?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm just now working my way through the forums and the google to see if CO2 critical extraction can be done for under ten grand. I would appreciate any leads that I can get. My goal is only to produce 100g of some of the greatest shit the worlds ever seen.

Are you testing it in the lab for trace materials? I would only believe stuff that I personally sent through a spectrometer myself.

I goggled decafination, and came up with sever other processes, including "Swiss Water Process". In that process the caffeine is gassafied, I think, and then collected and separated. Im wondering if anyone is considering a way to use solvents like water instead, thus reversing the whole polar thing, and gassifying the cannabiods and collecting these through something akine to a cooling tower. By the way I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Shit just found a DIY article on super critical extraction and it seems that you can use a tank and a pressure vessel. Like a scuba tank or a tank for paintball guns.

I also looked at some other forums and such. You can use one of these tanks http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C20.shtml?bstr=1

Plus a tank or just a pressure hose to hold your stuff in. Not quite sure about the set up. Also, Im thinking about using finely sifted kief 120um down to 40um?

What do you people think?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that the film demonstrates subcritical CO@ extraction, despite him calling it super critical. The test tube won't hold enough pressure to reach super critical conditions of ~1100 psi.

I am looking forward to someone trying such an experiment and reporting back. The successful CO2 extractions that I have seen, involved some expensive equipment.

Out of courosity, how are they removing the material and oil from one of those scuba or aluminum CO2 tanks afterwards?

I'm still not going to give up on this. I read somewhere that tanks of CO2 are kept at something like 3000 psi. Could just be the tanks themselves could with stand that. Not sure. Plus, I'm going to be looking into methods of looking at methods they use for super critical extractions in the perfume biz. The project I'm contemplating is still 6 months away. So I'm going to soak up everything I can now. I'm looking into scuba gear, and pressure vessels (which unfortunately the one I used in a biology lap wont take 1100psi). Their so much to research... I saw on a druggie forum, people talk about this in detail for making MDMA.

https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/69313-pondering-supercritical-co2-extractions.html

Fuck and I cant find the vessel I stumbled on that you place your material in at high pressure! I swear I saw a small device for making like 100ml, for under a grand. And now I cant find it. Ill have to search for this. Anyways, just take ur co'2 cylinder, get a high pressure tube, a regulator, and connect them. This whole thing shouldn't cost more than a couple grand. No, I was wrong about the pressure chamber. might have to DIY this, thinking of taking the methead chemists idea of packing a high pressure tube, run the co2 tank into that and somehow pass the liquid through a fine filer to get out clean oil + waxes.

If I were somehow to set up all this equipment. I will still need a procedure for making refined oil. I'm worried that by the time I have spent thousands of dollars on this, I will have no tried and tested method for making it work. Like can I still do winterizing and carbon filtering and stuff? like how would I even be able to do that?

KiefSweat

Veteran
i met someone last night that claims to have made some oil with liquid co2.
I am still skeptical but he did seem very knowledgeable on making extracts and the like so I am eager to see what he shows me.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I were somehow to set up all this equipment. I will still need a procedure for making refined oil. I'm worried that by the time I have spent thousands of dollars on this, I will have no tried and tested method for making it work. Like can I still do winterizing and carbon filtering and stuff? like how would I even be able to do that?

A length of schedule 160 stainless pipe, with 3000# flanges would easily contain 3X the ~1100 psi required.

If you first pressurize it with 150psi or so of CO2, it won't instantly turn into a block of dry ice when you transfer liquid into it at some pressure above that. This could easily be accomplished with a Dewar with a dip tube.

If you then heated it, you could reach about any pressure you desired, so to keep it from over pressuring, a back pressure regulator would be required. All of that is super easy, but then comes complications.

If you read the patents on the process, it appears that they were passing high volumes of super critical CO2 through the material, rather than just soaking, which is the point that I moved it to a rear burner, because that is not as simple and cheap.

I did occur to me that if you made a baton shaped system, with a vessel on both ends of the column, and simply rotated it, you could put the CO2 through the column as many times as you pleased, which is still cheap and easy, so if I were looking for a cheap system, I might pursue those threads.

As it is, our butane extraction and recycle system extracts oil basically for the cost of the electricity and pump maintenance. It gets pretty much all the oil that is available and it is quality oil, so Super Critical CO2 extraction is not high on our priority list.

I am all eyes and ears though and hope you continue to share what you come up with.

Here's one I just found. Seems like India is making all the inexpensive equipment for making cannabis products. http://amarequipment.tradeindia.com...31826P/High-Pressure-Autoclaves-Reactors.html
What about that precision machined ASTM-certified engineering equipment with prices unlisted do you find inexpensive? I'm sure you'll put your order in some time around that when you run your samples "through the spectrometer [yourself]". I'm sure you could properly interpret the output or that of a good NMR. The important thing is we're all thoroughly impressed.

hammalamma

Veteran
What about that precision machined ASTM-certified engineering equipment with prices unlisted do you find inexpensive? I'm sure you'll put your order in some time around that when you run your samples "through the spectrometer [yourself]". I'm sure you could properly interpret the output or that of a good NMR. The important thing is we're all thoroughly impressed.

I love seeing my name on you girl. Your sig is just like my name tatted across your lower back, keep rockin it, it suits you well.

CO2 is cheap. I can def get large cylinders of the stuff. Theirs no need for all the recapturing gizmos that make the machines particularly expensive (I mean to purchase - not to operate). Im thinking the whole tube/ vessel and oil capturing container, would not have to be big at all, if you start with kief 120um to 40um. Thought I read somewhere that the material needs only 30 minutes in liquid CO2. That means that for my purposes, I only need to run 50g of kief at a time, assuming that I would be collecting 30g of oil. If you only need 150psi to contain the material, then, hold shit a regular pressure pot would work.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe an insulated stainless pressure pot, but don't forget pressure relief!

Temperature and pressure are related. Here is the curve.

Attachments

• 220px-Carbon_dioxide_pressure-temperature_phase_diagram.svg.png
    220px-Carbon_dioxide_pressure-temperature_phase_diagram.svg.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
This is the kind of equipment I actually purchased and used in my brothers lab, for high quality and scientifically valid casting of fossils. It was only a few hundred dollars, for the pot that fully opens, and all the gauges and valves, and tubes.

http://www.alumilite.com/howtos/PressureCastingClear.cfm

It was a quick process to pressurize the pot, de-pressurize, and open up to remove our casts.

Im thinking inside you can set something up, where mesh bags can be placed in a way that holds the sides against walls of the vessel. As well as keeping them from the bottom of the vessel, where the oil will pool. Better yet, is to find one of these inexpensive models, that has another valve on the bottom, so you can flow through. Anyways, whatever I end up purchasing for CO2 super-critical reaction, may be what determines the layout.

I was just thinking about how champagne bottles ar?) CO2 that only gassifies when the bottle is opened.

I simply will not accept the idea that this cannot be done. And just imagine, no more purging. And you can have a highly saught after product, that you dont have to lie about. I'm wondering what kinds of material is disolved out into a liquid with this process. Can it be so simple as to get oil in 30minutes. Maybe with the only additional step of winterizing, then using a filter for the waxes?

GanjaPharma

Out of courosity, how are they removing the material and oil from one of those scuba or aluminum CO2 tanks afterwards?

the last step of a co2 extraction is recapturing the Co2 and "trapping" the particulate in a solvent. no way around it. gotta use a solvent to capture the oil.i want to hear the "i make Co2 oil for harborside" folks answer that riddle.

I just upset some folks on another forum for calling into question the faith based nature of legit Co2 extraction, and the curious coincidence that BHO is illegal in cali.
also i said that you made Co2 oil by using a sharpie to write the letters: CO2 on a vial of good bho.

so hundreds of dispos in cali sell the stuff, but not a pic or video on the web showing even the final few moments of an extraction? what happened to all the BHO makers? did they all go out and get sharpies? I mean...supercritical fluid extractors?